Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** The Traffic/Parking Ticket Thread ** Advice, Rants & Raves

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by xl2ealx
Yep. it happened... got a ticket today for not having my front license plate mounted. I had it by my windshield and got a ticket while i was at work..

This is in chicago btw..
anyway anyone contest this and got away with it?
or am i better off to just pay it...

on the side note..anyone not using their front mount that like to sell it??
You can have mine if you want it

In Milwaukee, especially in rougher neighborhoods, they either stopped caring about front plates or it isn't law anymore (or im just lucky...) I used to get my plates stolen or the stickers snipped off my rear plates at least once a year so I always keep one fresh plate in the house as a backup. I hate going to the fucking DMV...
Old 07-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xl2ealx
Yep. it happened... got a ticket today for not having my front license plate mounted. I had it by my windshield and got a ticket while i was at work..

This is in chicago btw..
anyway anyone contest this and got away with it?
or am i better off to just pay it...

on the side note..anyone not using their front mount that like to sell it??
If this was a parking ticket, just take a picture of the plate mounted and send it in. Say the officer was mistaken. 7/10 They'll just toss it and call it a day. If they took a picture of it, then just pay it and get it over with. I'm from Chicago so I've had this happen a few times and I'll just take a photo and date it the day of the ticket. Sometimes you get lucky and the person working that day doesn't care, sometimes you wont and they just tell you, you have to pay it. Doesn't hurt to try.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skd2k1
I'd be interested to know how the cop determined your speed, if based solely on the car in front of you I'd be taking that court. my defense would be, "I wasn't going the same speed as the car in front of me regardless of what the cop says."
This is what I was planning on arguing on. My friend told me that I could go to some teen court and only pay a fine to keep it from going onto my record and probably have to do community service. (Apparently that's what he did with his first ticket)
Old 07-10-2013, 01:38 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
^

OP im curious as to how the police pulled BOTH of yall over at the same time? Never seen that happen before.
The cop flashed his lights and the 1st guy started to pull over because he was going atleast 90mph. Since the 1st guy was a head of me, I was trying to keep driving at a reduced speed, but the cop immedietly caught up next to me. I tried to keep driving without looking at him, but he turned on his siren and pointed at me to pull over as well. I ended up pulling over a bit ahead of the 1st guy who pulled over. I was definitely not going near the other guys speed, but I was cited for going 83mph... It was more like lower 70's.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:37 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zachlone
pics or it didnt happen!
I wish your theory was right. since I have no pics I should have no ticket, right?
Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Get your windows fixed or at least get a receipt from a shop saying you did, judge will probably throw that ticket out. Regarding the headlight ticket, I would plead not guilty...cop will have to prove otherwise which would be near impossible. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 AM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Cops in my area take photos of any mechanical infractions right then and there, so it's harder to contest tint, headlights, taillights, speeding, etc.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
** The Traffic/Parking Ticket Thread **  Advice, Rants & Raves-4m89xbr.jpg
Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 AM
KCCO

Does that ticket say that you have "2" eyes?
The following users liked this post:
JuicyLarry (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
, although in the officers defense, it is NJ.. he might have just copied it from the DL.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:40 AM
KCCO

Easy fix then, show up to court with a patch on one eye! Anywhere else I would assume that they'd put your eye color in lol.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
1. Can we move this to ramblings?

2. When you ask a cop to show proof of speed, does he have to show? I got stopped for 77 in a 55 and and he refused to show proof or speed or even tell me the speed until I saw it on the ticket when he handed everything back.

I'm fighting this one for sure
Old 09-03-2013, 06:39 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyasiantl
1. Can we move this to ramblings?

2. When you ask a cop to show proof of speed, does he have to show? I got stopped for 77 in a 55 and and he refused to show proof or speed or even tell me the speed until I saw it on the ticket when he handed everything back.

I'm fighting this one for sure
Depends on the particular state's law.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
As far as speeding is concerned last year I bought a Valentine one Radar/Laser detector & it has paid for itself probably 20 times over. It cost me $499 plus the concealment kit, mine is mounted on the driver side visor & cannot be seen from the front or sides. All my rear windows are tinted & does not affect the range. Now first & foremost if you get one and flat out speed everyone you're gonna get nailed eventually. Its to be used to monitor your speed. Driving through towns here in north jersey I'd say that 95% of the time cops in these towns are running radar all the time, NJSP do too on Rte 287 etc but also use laser which is very hard to beat and deadly accurate. Rte 23 is ALWAYS being patrolled & radar used, although Pequonnick? police use laser too. Keep in mind these highways are considered "Heroin Highways" and are heavily patrolled. Last week I drove out to Pa for work on Rte 78 & my detector went off so many times I thought it would start smoking. Some cops use instant on so they got you before you can react. I don't usually speed but I monitor my speed especially when the detector goes off far in advance of a visual on the police car.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
I forgot to add that NJ towns are BROKE $$$$. They need revenue so more tickets are being written, a Radar/Laser detector is your best defense.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:02 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
yea, i got pinched in southern tier of NYS on my way to NJ (I-390)

NYS is poor too, and i hate the extortion, i can't wait to leave

79/65 on 6/27
Old 07-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I got a ticket from the garage I park in, of which I am a monthly parker in because I forgot to put my hang tag up. This garage uses a system where daily parkers punch in their license plate number and someone goes around and audits the lot. I had to put my license plate number in to register as a monthly parker. As to why they just don't automatically pull those down instead of having a hang tag I'm not sure. Anyway, daily parking is $6, monthly is $95 and the ticket is $44.

They just closed the garage for construction with no warning anyway so I can't even park there now. I'm parking at another place and will just submit my receipts to them.

F U Central Parking Systems.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:28 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
$95 a month for a parking lot? Jeez i wouldnt mind paying that in NYS bro.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
anyone ever hired a ticket lawyer in NYS ? I could use a referral
Old 09-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got my first speeding ticket

I'm in Pittsburgh, PA, and have been driving my TL-S less than a month. The officer said that according to a witness it appeared I was racing another car which would be really bad, but he let me off with a somewhat lighter offense since I was being very cooperative. No radar, but he claimed I was going 65 in a 35 zone. This was my very first traffic violation in over 7 years of driving.

I've got a mandatory court appearance within 10 days. I'm not nearly as concerned about paying any fines as I am about getting my license suspended or my insurance to going up. I had no idea how severe penalties could be for a first offense. Should I hire a lawyer? This is all completely new territory to me, so any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 406 Likes on 317 Posts
Did you admit to racing or driving recklessly?
It's not what they know, it's what they can prove.

"Appeared" doesn't mean "did"
He said she said doesn't make a compelling case.

Last edited by 1black_seven; 09-03-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:41 PM
2007 Type S WDP 5AT

Received 171 Likes on 64 Posts
Does he have you on radar? If not then how can he prove you were racing in your car?? Based off what some citizen said? NO Just the fact that he let you off with a 30 over (how did he even get that number)

Sorry but I see a lot in your favour with this. Unless your not telling the full truth
Old 09-03-2014, 11:42 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 406 Likes on 317 Posts
They can't issue you a ticket because someone witnessed you racing. The officer has to physically witness the offense. At least in my state and most others.
This is how Gumball racers don't get tickets when other drivers call and complain.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:47 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
wow he gave you a ticket based on someone who told him you were "racing"?

What 1black_seven said he said she said doesnt make compelling case..

what an asshole cop

It really depends what he put on the ticket too, the judge will see that a make a decision but if you had a clean record no need to worry too much. Ive gotten ticket for going over 100mph and the cop has lowered it to 95+ i didnt get my license suspended and i was able to do traffic school because ive kept a clean record. But all judges are different.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 213 Likes on 149 Posts
In my state the cop can write something on HIS copy of the ticket, the part that the judge will see, that does not appear on YOUR copy of the ticket. The cop can therefore write that he thinks you were racing, even if he did not specifically ticket you for it. And the judge will see that. Not saying that happened in your case, but should be considered when deciding what you will do.

You can consult with a lawyer, who can obtain access to whatever the cop wrote.

Last time I used a lawyer, it cost me $500 for the lawyer, plus *court-costs* of $150, for going 60mph in a 25 zone. Understand that most people normally go 40mph or faster on the particular road - did not matter. That area was previously posted at 45, it was late at night, there was no traffic, etc.

My probation period was 1-year, which was not bad considering it took 8 months to ajudicate the ticket. So really, after leaving court, I only had to go another 4 months without another ticket. Which I did *barely* manage.

yes, the original fine was just $150, but with the lawyer the ticket was *dismissed* after the probation period, never appeared on my record, and was never seen by my insurance. For me, that was worth it, because I was driving a Camaro at the time, and was getting at least one ticket every year (sometimes more). Yep, I got ALL of them dismissed during the 8 years I owned that Cop magnet.

Anyway, when interviewing a lawyer, you really need to discuss and understand just what he/she can do for you. My lawyer specifically stated that he could get the ticket *dismissed* with payment, just because of his *relationship* with the judges in the court in which I would appear. Yes, he flirted with the (older) female judge during my appearance, and the judge told me to *shut-it* and did not want to hear from me.

The Cop was annoyed, and the female prosecutor was really *pissed* off. Too bad. IMO what I did not not dangerous, just another example of under-posted speed on an open road, and an opportunity for *road-tax*.

For other tickets, in my specific city, it is usually possible to simply pay a fine and take a one day (actually 2 hour) traffic school, and the ticket *goes away*. Took care of 4-5 tickets that way. Again, its *road-tax-collection*.

Just in case any are thinking I am a really *bad* driver, since selling the Camaro I have gone the past 6 years with no tickets. With the Camaro, every time I stopped at a traffic light, any Cop sitting nearby would be instantly running my plates on their onboard computer.

Last edited by dcmodels; 09-04-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:57 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
When you go to court, if you have a clean record, you can generally meet (briefly) with the Prosecutor, and have the citation 'lowered' to 'unsafe vehicle operation'. When you do this, it the charge can be brought down to a zero point offense, so therefore, insurance should not be affected. At least this is how it is in NJ. However, since the ins. companies and the courts are in 'cahoots', there's generally an insurance surcharge as part of the pleading down of the charge. It may cost a bit (like $400-500) for the lower charge and the insurance surcharge, but at least there won't be points on the license and insurance premium should not go up. An attorney representing you will likely cost quite a bit and you're not guaranteed of success, so you may actually wind up paying more (for both the charge and attorney) vs. pleading the charge down w/o need for an attorney).

Be prepared that in general, the cards in the court are stacked against you, and you are really assumed guilty based on what the LEO has cited you for. You really can't go before the judge representing yourself (reality is that the judge won't hear your case and would need to reschedule your hearing AND he would likely recommend you get an attorney if you wanted to proceed this way), and expect to 'get off' the charge- it just doesn't happen that way. There will be a lot of people for traffic court on the same day, and it's basically a means of getting everyone to pay, quickly.

I agree with the online traffic school to lose a couple of points as well if you wind up getting them no matter what.

Good luck!
Old 09-04-2014, 01:06 AM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
No radar = no proof. To me this is very simple: when you get to court, ask to see the evidence against you. If it's not there, motion to dismiss due to lack of evidence.

Then again, I'm a keyboard lawyer.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:14 AM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
You need to research the specific laws and ordinances that apply to the jurisdiction the ticket was written in. We all can guess and tell you what we have done, but it doesn't matter if we haven't dealt with the same jurisdiction.

Pay attention to what the actual violation was written for on the ticket. You need to find out what the penalties are, what the plea deals are, and if it will impact points on your license and how that is reported to your insurance. All of this varies from state to state, county by county, and city by city.

I know where I live a speeding ticket can be a $150 fine that is reduced to a faulty equipment non-moving violation if issued by the county, but is about $400 if issued by the city and you must get an attorney to plea it down otherwise it remains a moving violation. Basically....way too many variables at play here for us to give you much advice that is actually useful.

If I was under 30, not married, and in your shoes?? I would hire an attorney. Now that I am over 30....I would probably just pay the fine and be done with it.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Hold up guys

someone calls 911 and says a TL [color or plate # here] and another car are racing

Officer finds dude doing 65 in a 35

put 2 and 2 together and voilla officer tries get get dude to admit to what the caller stated.... Police are allowed to LIE during interrogations you know...

my thoughts are he should have been BUSTED for reckless driving for a stated 30 over as there is no excuse for that one....

also pacing is legal in most states and believe it or not so is an officer's judgment as to how fast the dude was going...

PA Specific rules
http://www.motorists.org/chapters/pennsylvania

http://www.licenserestoration.com/re...riving-75-3736

http://www.licenserestoration.com/points

3362 Exceeding maximum speed Miles over Speed Limit: 6 to 10 over 2 ponts

11 to 15 (If violation occurs in an active work zone, 15-day suspension) and 3 points

16 to 25 (If violation occurs in an active work zone, 15-day suspension) and 4 points

26 to 30 (If violation occurs in an active work zone, 15-day suspension) and 5 points

31 and over Departmental Hearing and Sanctions provided under Section 1538(d) and 5 points
(If violation occurs in an active work zone, also 15-day suspension)

Last edited by YeuEmMaiMai; 09-04-2014 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:45 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
No radar = no proof. To me this is very simple: when you get to court, ask to see the evidence against you. If it's not there, motion to dismiss due to lack of evidence.

Then again, I'm a keyboard lawyer.
That argument won't get you anywhere. There are other ways of judging speed, including (but not limited to) old-fashioned pacing.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:49 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
LOL he didnt catch you doing shit!

next time he uses those key words " i think,you appear, you seem, Do you know how fast you were going" ya know guessing and trying to get you admit....

PLAY DUMB AS FUCK.

if you admit, you're getting a citation!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:08 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
They don't need you on radar to see you were racing. I have gotten two racing tickets years ago and was never on radar. The speed thing would be harder to prove without radar. In my state I believe a cop can issue a ticket solely based on a credible witness but again, I'm sure its very rare and if you went to court it would likely be dropped.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:53 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Everyone seems to be so concerned with the racing part...but let me ask you something. Were you actually speeding? You only got a ticket for speeding, the racing part he could have just made up. I'm sure almost everyone here has gotten a speeding ticket at some point before, its not the end of the world. Pay it, take traffic school if you can, and move on with your life.

If you are SURE you weren't speeding, then I guess you can try to fight it. Here in california we have something called trial by declaration. Not sure if you have this in your state but its one of those things that not many people know about. I've won 3 tickets myself through TBD as it has a much higher chance of you winning compared to showing up to court(only if you're a lawyer then showing up in court may yield better chances).

Last edited by paperboy42190; 09-04-2014 at 07:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SoL_TeK (11-19-2016)
Old 09-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Get a lawyer - there's a saying too. A good lawyer knows the law. A great lawyer knows the judge.

Face the fact that the world works based on relationships, not the strict mandate of the law. That's also why they say if you are guilty in a criminal case, get a jury. If you are innocent, get a bench trial. Much easier to convince 12 stupid people of reasonable doubt than a 'supposedly' knowledgeable judge.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:21 AM
KCCO

Lol, I love the armchair quarterbacks in here. If a witness gives a statement and agrees to go to court, the cop has enough evidence for whatever crime the witness is alleging. Between an independent witness testifying and a professional witness like the cop laying out what they observed, there can be a lot of evidence for what someone "appeared" to be doing. RADAR or not.

A witness just has to be believable. IE: I've been driving for 24 years and although I couldn't pinpoint someone's actual speed, I could certainly tell when they're doing over the speed limit because I know what 50 km/hr looks like, 80 km/hr looks like and what 100 km/hr looks like in oncoming traffic. A seasoned cop is even better at articulating this.

The ticket you got was for doing close to double the speed limit. That's not a normal ticket they would give out that often so I'll bet that's the reason for the mandatory court appearance. Where I am, a normal ticket covers up to 49 km/hr over the limit. When you hit 50 km/hr over it goes from a $300 ticket to over $2,400, your car is impounded and you must appear in court. It's called "stunting."

Last edited by MarcoNorthPolo; 09-04-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:40 AM
[x] FWCC [x]

You guys are so wrong lol....like i've said before within this thread. A police supposedly caught me speeding at 81+ mph when i wasn't even near that speed. He didn't radar me, he just "saw". Went to court and lost the case because my friends and family members that were in my car are not legitimate witnesses. So I lost the case because the judge believed the cop's words over mine. Got slapped with 6 points and a driver responsibility assessment for 3 yrs. The whole time i was innocent, polite, and professional about it.

This system doesn't work. They will get you no matter what you say or what solid proof you have to defend yourself.

According to the judge "There's a first time for everything" ---my jaw dropped to the floor and it was completely my fault for not bringing a lawyer in because i was 120% sure i was going to win the case with a bullshit yellow written up ticket for speeding.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
^ you think that's bad.

I know a local criminal defense attorney that is dating a higher up (supervisor) at the state attorney's office (both very well known in the legal community here) that went up against the word of one cop during a hearing/trial and the judge believed the cop that they rolled thru a stop sign instead of stopping.

Last edited by ggesq; 09-04-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Back on New Years Eve, I was driving up to Tampa from Hollywood, and at around 9 PM while passing through Charlotte County, I got pulled over by Charlotte County PD. I was doing 80 in a 70, and he tried to tell me I was doing 86, and slowed down to 82 once I saw him. I pointed at the bright green cruise control light which was still on, and said I had it fixed at 80 (I didn't even notice he was following me until it was too late - I looked at my mirror and noticed familiar headlights, and before I could process that thought, the lights came on). He kept going on about how my speed was going up and down, and I kept pointing at the cruise control. Speed does vary between cruise control, but it's usually 79-81 (for my case), not all the way up to 86. I gave him my papers, and after a while he just gives me a warning and says to slow down.

I was so relieved...all I could think of was my insurance. If it matters, I'm black, and he was a young white cop.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:59 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

Originally Posted by bla8291
Back on New Years Eve, I was driving up to Tampa from Hollywood, and at around 9 PM while passing through Charlotte County, I got pulled over by Charlotte County PD. I was doing 80 in a 70, and he tried to tell me I was doing 86, and slowed down to 82 once I saw him. I pointed at the bright green cruise control light which was still on, and said I had it fixed at 80 (I didn't even notice he was following me until it was too late - I looked at my mirror and noticed familiar headlights, and before I could process that thought, the lights came on). He kept going on about how my speed was going up and down, and I kept pointing at the cruise control. Speed does vary between cruise control, but it's usually 79-81 (for my case), not all the way up to 86. I gave him my papers, and after a while he just gives me a warning and says to slow down.

I was so relieved...all I could think of was my insurance. If it matters, I'm black, and he was a young white cop.
Dude you lucked out with a slap on the wrist.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:00 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

Originally Posted by ggesq
^ you think that's bad.

I know a local criminal defense attorney that is dating a higher up (supervisor) at the state attorney's office (both very well known in the legal community here) that went up against the word of one cop during a hearing/trial and the judge believed the cop that they rolled thru a stop sign instead of stopping.
Wow now that's crazy and pretty messed up. All these cities all they want is their money some way or another. I can't wait once they pass the law that law that police officers have to wear a camera while on duty.

Quick Reply: ** The Traffic/Parking Ticket Thread ** Advice, Rants & Raves