Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** The Traffic/Parking Ticket Thread ** Advice, Rants & Raves

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 04:02 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by erdoc48
...I wasn't even aware of such a law, but was told by said officer that it's 'common sense'...

Yup.

Think about if you were broken down/pulled over/wrecked/etc in the emergency lane on the side of the road and you have people roaring by you going 65+mph, 5 feet away from you. It's not a fun feeling.

Since I started driving, I have always moved over, no matter what. Up until recently when I totaled my car on the interestate, as the wrecker had to stay in the emergency lane to load the car, I then realized what a scary feeling it is watching vehicles not get over and continue to drive ~70MPH right by your face.

Last edited by AMUA6; 12-14-2010 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CLtotheTL32 (06-28-2011)
Old 12-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Interesting. I've never heard of that. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
never heard of it...but im glad im aware of it now
Old 12-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have heard of that before here in Ohio too. I merge in the left lane whenever anyone is on the shoulder just out of respect.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
he was afraid of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRWrPyhK_e0

i don't like traffic cops but i don't wana run one over either, wrong place wrong time like other said

btw NJ gun laws suck
Old 12-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by myron
I don't get it, if you see an emergency vehicles on the side of the road, you are suppose to move over to the middle lane? How is that NOT common sense?
its common sense but it depends on the situation...if the guy pulled over someone and is on the shoulder then i can see why someone wud just continue to drive at the posted speed limit. I understand completely how it was a mistake and the cop is basically a dick for giving that ticket. It was not an emergency situation hes just pulling over someone and chillin on the shoulder.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:56 PM

Received 9,506 Likes on 6,175 Posts
It's been like that here in NC for a while now. A have a few family members in law enforcement so I fully support that law.

OP sorry to hear that you got a ticket but now you know! Live and learn
Old 12-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i really do hate NJ sometimes...stupid drivers and sometimes stupid cops
Old 12-14-2010, 05:22 PM
is in Honda heaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is one of the laws I actually agree with. I've known about it for a while, I think there was another thread about this a while ago. I believe I even saw it when I took the driver improvement test last year for my insurance company.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:33 PM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm pretty sure that law is now nation-wide. Sucks that you got dinged for it, but it does make sense. I would call and schedule a court date, and try to get it knocked down to something with no points. Especially here in NJ you do NOT want to have points on your insurance.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:48 PM

Received 9,506 Likes on 6,175 Posts
Here's an example of why the law was passed here in NC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uimljFEOugM

There's another one that happened here in Raleigh a while back but I can't find the video.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Incredibly, it is NOT a nationwide law.
It was just enacted in MD recently, so all you guys driving in MD need to watch out.
Never quite understood why NJ cops look so much like Gestapo in their uniforms!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by mrlal8
its common sense but it depends on the situation...if the guy pulled over someone and is on the shoulder then i can see why someone wud just continue to drive at the posted speed limit. I understand completely how it was a mistake and the cop is basically a dick for giving that ticket. It was not an emergency situation hes just pulling over someone and chillin on the shoulder.
it doesn't matter if it's an emergency or not. The cop is standing really close to the cars speeding down the highway. It's dumb not to think that there might be a potential danger there.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Not to be rude, but this is common sense. If there is a stalled vehicle, an accident, or an emergency on the side of the road, you move a lane left (as the accident/emergency is usually on the right side). Imagine you being a cop and a car nearly hit you from the back because they didn't move over. Now sometimes some vehicles are jackasses and they don't realize you need to get over especially when there is traffic, so most of those times all you do is slow down to half the speed limit and the cop will almost never cite you. (Talked to a State Trooper regarding this in Arizona, Texas, and Louisiana )
Old 12-14-2010, 06:14 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I'll take the fall if it'll save you all some cash and save a few lives- I guess I was a bit pissed when I got the ticket, but reading the responses makes me more agreeable and understanding of the law. I hope the fine isn't too onerous. Truth is, I normally do move over when I see a car pulled over, so it was a momentary lapse of reason for me.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Get Money

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks...

I got a warning one day for speeding. And on the warning back side, it had the policy of the move over law. If you are able to move over, you should. But if cars are in the lane next to you, you should slow down...

Should've said there were cars next to you, therefore you couldn't move over...
Old 12-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not always possible to change lanes by the time you see the emergency vehicle on the side of the road. Enforcement needs to be reasonable. If it's 11pm and ther isn't much traffic, I could see writing a ticket for it. If it's in the middle of rush hour and the roads are packed, not so much.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
They ought to call it, the "jackass driver" law.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
I always move over, but I had no idea that it was actually a law. Thought it was a common courtesy thing. Interesting.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I usually just try to edge out as far as possible without switching lanes, and slow down a bit.

Not to put down any cops, but isn't it as much common sense to at least talk to the owner/driver from the passenger side of the vehicle?

I was pulled over this past summer by a radar cop, and there was no shoulder to stop on, I was just sitting in the right lane as traffic went by. The cop at least had the sense to talk to me from the passenger window. I don't see how it poses any strategic disadvantage, aside from maybe combating with the driver.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:07 AM
5th Gear

I'll take the fall if it'll save you all some cash and save a few lives- I guess I was a bit pissed when I got the ticket, but reading the responses makes me more agreeable and understanding of the law. I hope the fine isn't too onerous. Truth is, I normally do move over when I see a car pulled over, so it was a momentary lapse of reason for me.

who, whoa, whoa, whoa... whoa... whoa...... whoa...

how are you supposed to know that law?... some people here say, "common sense"... ok... then the most important question is, "did the officer have his flashing lights on?"... because, if he did, then of course you should consider what kind of "caution" you should take, of which "moving over a lane" would be logical...

but i'm guessing he DIDN'T have his flashing lights on...

now, there are probably highway patrol guidelines on this subject, probably in writing and i'm sure someone more skillful than me with the internet can help you locate them...

but from experience, i can say that if i am on a local road and an officer is on the shoulder ticketing someone, i almost ALWAYS see flashing lights... but on freeways, i rarely see flashing lights on...

there may be some written guidelines that say, "don't use your flashing lights on highways" and, if so, i'd want to know the rationale for that... if it's something like, "you don't want to distract other drivers", i'd cite that to a judge, saying, "there was a large shoulder - the officer had not activated his lights, so, did not think himself in danger... had those lights BEEN activated, i would have taken measures to ensure even more caution than i usually take when i see an officer pulled over"...

i'd also explain that i ALWAYS see flashing lights activated on local roads and that tells me to slow down and watch for people exiting cars...

frankly, trucks and buses are required to carry emergency equipment for when they break down or stop where people would not expect it (usually orange or red cones)... how hard would it be to equip highway patrol cars with collapsable poles with a base at the bottom and a reflective arrow (pointing left) at the top and to require officers to take the pole out, assemble it, and place it at the rear of the car so that from a distance, other drivers could see that they were being DIRECTED to move left?...

because if you approach a police car on the shoulder of the road, you don't KNOW that he/she is issuing a ticket... there might be a small sportscar in front of him and because the police car is larger, you might not even SEE the ticketed car and assume that the officer was pulled over checking speed with his radar gun (NOT about to exit his/her car)... or, the driver might be broken down, waiting for a tow truck and the officer is sitting in his car waiting as a courtesy, again, no exiting taking place... or the car may be abandoned and the officer has called for a tow and is waiting for them (with the tow truck's flashing lights) to arrive...

the point is, if you want drivers to react, turn your flashing lights on... as i say, i almost never see officers on major highways with their flashing lights on, and there may be some reason why that is the custom... but someone driving at 65mph should not be expected to also read minds... often moving over a lane quickly can startle other drivers on the road - if flashing lights were activated, less so, as they would already be aware that out of the ordinary driving reactions are likely...

if the flashing lights WERE activated - never mind...
Old 12-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Saysdamnalot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. This thread has given me so much insight to the people I share the road with.

Let's just say I hope I never find myself on the side of a 4 lane interstate with people sans my flares, flashing police lights, Jersey barriers, comando unit, g-unit entourage, presidential motorcade and TSA full body scanners to alert people you should move the fuck over.

Slow down, check your lanes, chill your swag, and move over. It will also notify other deadhead drivers that you are changing lanes for a possible purpose.

Regardless of law. Regardless of 'common' sense.

People die from it. It CAN be prevented. Obviously not in this lifetime though.

If someone were going slow, you'd move over. Stop acting like it is such a big deal.

If you got a ticket, and it makes you think about it next time, then it seems like a functioning system to me, not a broken one.

No disrespect to the OP - he stated it was a lapse of thought at the time - that happens to all of us.
The following users liked this post:
CLtotheTL32 (06-28-2011)
Old 12-27-2010, 10:32 AM
5th Gear

you know, it occurs to me that highway patrol officers MUST have cones in their trunks... and there MUST be some written guidelines that say something like "always put cones out when conditions are dangerous"... my guess is that officers can't be bothered (unless it's REALLY dangerous)... if you could find those regs and show them to a judge, saying, "if HE/SHE didn't think it was dangerous enough to put the cones out, how can i be faulted for relying on their judgement"?...
Old 01-04-2011, 10:58 PM
5th Gear

i had some time today, so i looked up the california "move over" law...

here is the link:

http://www.ci.seaside.ca.us/Modules/...documentid=307

this is the original, from 2007 - there is a 2010 update that specifically includes caltrans highway workers... this doesn't SAY the word "police car", but it seems to include it...

note that the officer is SUPPOSED to have his flashers on - on california highways, i NEVER see the flashing lights on...

none of you have actually POSTED a link to your state's "move over" law... my guess is that they all say the lights should be flashing... if they WERE flashing for the person who got the ticket, ok... if they were NOT, then the "common sense" argument should be addressed to the officer (and the judge)...

if the officer did NOT have his flashing lights on, and if your state says he should have (and if it says nothing, i would show them the california law and say that the fact that your state says nothing about flashers being on OR off, MUST be because turning them on - for the officer - is just plain "common sense"), then you should win this...
Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Instructor

I never really thought that there were policemen lurking around trying to give tickets if we didn't pull to the left shoulder, but I always pulled to the left because I thought it was courtesy, plus the 10 or so cars in front of me did it too so I figured I follow
Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this law went into effect jan 1st, finally.

its screwed up, the ny state trooper cars have a major major major design flaw, if the vehicle is rear ended, the fuel tank would fail by cracking and it will catch on fire because of where it is located. now they have a fire suppression system.

its unbelievable the lengths the state will go to inconvience all of us, but they dont watch out for their own employees. the fuel tank defect was brought to attention by many lawsuits in 99/00, not to mention the death of a trooper in 02 or 03, they finally changed it in 2005.

its ridiculous that this law just went effect 2011....
Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sddale
I got a parking ticket in San Diego a few months ago. It was a green spot that was 15 minute only between 10am-4pm. The problem is that they issued the ticket at 445pm. I contested it online with photo's of my car in the spot right in front of the sign and a close up of the sign but they still decided I was responsible. I'm contesting it again by mail so hopefully I'll get a better result. What a pain dealing with this.
I'm happy to say that I got a letter from the City of San Diego saying my ticket was dismissed.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:20 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
An update (on the 'move over law offense'):
I went to court and entered a plea of not guilty. Many of us were there for different traffic offenses as well as a few for more serious offenses that needed legal counsel. In NJ, you're given the opportunity to plea to a lesser charge called 'unsafe vehicle operation' which carries a $250 surcharge as well as the original fine and court costs ($139 for both). I decided to plea it out and pay the fine- no points wil be assessed and I guess I'm happy with the outcome. Most people there with me with the same opportunity took the same deal. The judge even noted on my abstract the excellent driving record I had previously, but I still had to plead guilty to the lesser charge on video and then pay the fine.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got pulled over by a cop, 2 tickets for dark tints....

After a year driving with 15% in new york i got pulled over. I bought the car with tint already in it but i never removed them. NY state legal tints are 70% which is like having no tints.

Now my question is.

what are my options?

looking at removing my tints, should i pay or do it myself?

Do i really have to go to court for this or can i have it remove and go to the local police station. Show them the proof (receipt or show my car) and have my tickets dismissed.

I really would hate to see my car without tints but i know if i don't remove it it will happen again and again.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
photoshop a picture of your car with no tint, take that picture to court and show them that you "removed the tint".
Old 04-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Racer

Just pay the fine and move on.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CometVR4
Just pay the fine and move on.
$260 fine.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by BradE
It's not always possible to change lanes by the time you see the emergency vehicle on the side of the road. Enforcement needs to be reasonable. If it's 11pm and ther isn't much traffic, I could see writing a ticket for it. If it's in the middle of rush hour and the roads are packed, not so much.
Yup, exactly. I see cops pulling people over during rush hour in atl all the time. I move over when I can however sometimes it's not possible.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
An update (on the 'move over law offense'):
I went to court and entered a plea of not guilty. Many of us were there for different traffic offenses as well as a few for more serious offenses that needed legal counsel. In NJ, you're given the opportunity to plea to a lesser charge called 'unsafe vehicle operation' which carries a $250 surcharge as well as the original fine and court costs ($139 for both). I decided to plea it out and pay the fine- no points wil be assessed and I guess I'm happy with the outcome. Most people there with me with the same opportunity took the same deal. The judge even noted on my abstract the excellent driving record I had previously, but I still had to plead guilty to the lesser charge on video and then pay the fine.
It's all about the money.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
i got a speeding ticket on hwy17 in my gsr while a biker in front of me was going 80+...

cop wrote my down for 55 and radar @ 66

i have till july 12th to deal with this via extension by phone or w/e

what is the best way i can get around this or have it completely dismissed,

first traffic ticket and I do not know the best way to deal with this

should i hire a traffic lawyer?

the cop even pointed at my STOCK fuel injectors and said they were aftermarket to produce more fuel WTF?! HAHAHAHA

please and thank you

i'm broke as fuuuuuu as is and have school upcoming fall FH398r823hgq2c91 grr

Last edited by DC2many; 06-28-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
IANAL, but if its your first ticket and you plan on being really careful for the next couple of years, plead NoLo.

Traffic lawyer will be a waste of money

PS- The cop saw your fuel injectors???
Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Balling in the...

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts
knock ON WOOD, I haven't been Stopped yet and don't look forward to either. Im a little hesitant of putting an exhaust on my car for this simple reason. I don't want to get stopped
Old 06-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
what is IANAL and NOLO?

he saw my fuel injectors because it occured when i was driving my integra gsr (didn't have a TL at the time)

luckily i had carb header and intake which passed but he tried to get me to trip on the stock injectors. We all had a brief pause and i was -smh- in my head and he just said "um, i'll let you go on the injectors this time"
he failed to notice my buddy club spec 2 and various other out of the legal range items

in any case it is a speeding ticket written at 55+ on a 50 zone. Radar at aprox 66mph

would you suggest i keep postponing the court date or should I call them and tell them I will show up in court and plead or ask for a lighter sentence because of "unemployment, school, student, got rent to pay" kind of thing. This is a unjustified ticket as i was going the flow of traffic and this bike was going 80+ the entire way... but nonetheless... I was indeed speeding regardless as with everyone else than =\

Last edited by DC2many; 06-28-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
IANAL - I am not a lawyer

NoLo - No Lo Contendere

Google son.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Hire a traffic lawyer in Nor Cal not worth who pulled u over CHP sheriff?? ETC ETC

Quick Reply: ** The Traffic/Parking Ticket Thread ** Advice, Rants & Raves