Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$500 Lesson in Wheel Locks

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 01:24 PM
All Around Klown

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
So are these indoor or outdoor cameras? What make/model of cameras?
will have to ask my friend that installed the system.They are outdoor cameras. I know that they are the black&white night vision and they have IR LEDs on them... If I remember correctly, I think they were like $600 for just the 4 cameras...
Old 08-30-2013, 05:22 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
Honestly though, I'm willing to pay for piece of mind at this point. I already contacted them for a quote and I hope they have an authorized retailer in my area. New OEM TLS wheel set is worth ~$2400 with a decent set of tires and TPMS sensors. If they have a retailer in my area, I'm picking these up with no reservations about cost. The headache of this situation is absolutely worth $400 to me when considering arguing with insurance companies, losing use of the car, worrying about this happening again, and most critically the gut-wrenching feeling of seeing your pride and joy in a state like this.
I havent emailed rimlox myself, if you are already talking to them then see if you can get a group buy going for OEM replacement locks. I'll be up for it.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The missing rims and the damage to the body and potentially the axle is going to cost more than $500. Sorry to hear about the theft.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by bigballer8526
you misread it.

20 wheel locks for $43. the gorilla ones have one wheel lock for the 20 wheel locks. granted anyone with a 12 point socket could take it, but really? good luck doing that with 20 wheel locks.
True, but the thieves probably have access to all kinds of wheel locks. They can scope out a target in advance, collect the lock from a retailer after identifying it, and then snatch them up anyway with no trouble at all. It's a good strategy, but it's not going to keep me completely calm anymore.

Originally Posted by JnC
I havent emailed rimlox myself, if you are already talking to them then see if you can get a group buy going for OEM replacement locks. I'll be up for it.
I actually called the dude and ordered a set already. I'll call him back and see if we can get a group buy going here anyway.

Originally Posted by mickey513
The missing rims and the damage to the body and potentially the axle is going to cost more than $500. Sorry to hear about the theft.
Thanks. The $500 refers to the insurance deductible though lol.

Update: got the wheels and tires put on today and the car is in the shop. Tires are brand new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. The rims look nice, but I'm not sure what's really going on here. The OE wheels had a paint that matched CBP very closely, these "re-manufactured" wheels are much darker. How can I tell if they are really Acura rims vs. aftermarket knock offs? Also, whoever distributed the wheels put silver center caps on... I'm not sure how you make a mistake like that but it seems pretty stupid to me. Edit: they claim they used the VIN to collect the correct parts. Something stinks...

Last edited by Vlad_Type_S; 08-30-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:46 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Vlad_Type_S,

I had to make an account here after I was directed by Paperboy in my accord thread about what happened. Let me start off by saying I'm sorry for the loss, trust me I empathize the feeling.

I'm the guy in the picture he posted that lives in Jefferson Park, I probably saw you once or twice without even knowing it.

Second, you mentioned you checked out the people selling those rims. Bunch of shady fellas no? I had to go all the way down 78th and Harlem to go check 'em out.

Well anyway, I came to say I'm sorry for your loss and based on the reading at least you're getting your wheels back. I have to save up for mine.

I hope everything gets resolved quickly.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
...Update: got the wheels and tires put on today and the car is in the shop. Tires are brand new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. The rims look nice, but I'm not sure what's really going on here. The OE wheels had a paint that matched CBP very closely, these "re-manufactured" wheels are much darker. How can I tell if they are really Acura rims vs. aftermarket knock offs? Also, whoever distributed the wheels put silver center caps on... I'm not sure how you make a mistake like that but it seems pretty stupid to me. Edit: they claim they used the VIN to collect the correct parts. Something stinks...
Pics??

Lots of re-manufactured (knock offs) "OEM" TL-S wheels on Ebay...Ask the shop where they ordered the wheels from. Ask them for a copy of the receipt. Tell your insurance agent you suspect they are pulling a fast one on you and get him to start asking questions. IIRC, there should be an Acura bar code on the inside of the wheel, but if the tires are already on, it will be concealed.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 08-30-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Originally Posted by Chaos-Shadow
Hey Vlad_Type_S,

I had to make an account here after I was directed by Paperboy in my accord thread about what happened. Let me start off by saying I'm sorry for the loss, trust me I empathize the feeling.

I'm the guy in the picture he posted that lives in Jefferson Park, I probably saw you once or twice without even knowing it.

Second, you mentioned you checked out the people selling those rims. Bunch of shady fellas no? I had to go all the way down 78th and Harlem to go check 'em out.

Well anyway, I came to say I'm sorry for your loss and based on the reading at least you're getting your wheels back. I have to save up for mine.

I hope everything gets resolved quickly.
Hey man. Really cool of you to come on here. I'm really sorry that the same thing happened to you man, it sucks big-time. The guys I found on craigslist were on 51st and California. I knew they weren't mine because the way I pieced it together they would have had to snatch my shit, drive all the way back down there, clean the wheels up, change the tires, put on tire shine, take pics of them on a civic, take the wheels off, and then put them up for sale. I won't go into the details of my communications, but based on me and 2 of my friends trolling this guy, there is no way those were mine. They might have been yours though, did you have Hankook tires?

Dude, we should go have a beer some time lol.

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Pics?? Ask the shop where they ordered the wheels from. Tell your insurance agent you suspect they are pulling a fast one on you and get him to start asking questions. IIRC, there should be an Acura bar code on the inside of the wheel, but if the tires are already on, it will be concealed.
Couldn't get pics, I will tomorrow though. The guy who did all of the ordering was not in today and they were closed when I showed up, but a couple of heavy accented dudes let me see my car. I'll head back there tomorrow and get some pictures. I'll also talk to the guy handling this and find out where those wheels are from. He said that they are "re-manufactured" and agreed to provide Acura parts when I insisted, but never actually said those words himself. The real problem is that I'm leaving the country for at least 6 weeks on Tuesday and I just want my car back before then.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Race Director

...Couldn't get pics, I will tomorrow though. The guy who did all of the ordering was not in today and they were closed when I showed up, but a couple of heavy accented dudes let me see my car. I'll head back there tomorrow and get some pictures. I'll also talk to the guy handling this and find out where those wheels are from. He said that they are "re-manufactured" and agreed to provide Acura parts when I insisted, but never actually said those words himself. The real problem is that I'm leaving the country for at least 6 weeks on Tuesday and I just want my car back before then.
Well, if the insurance fine print provides for OEM wheels and State Farm is paying for OEM wheels, then the shop is screwing you and State Farm. Hope you can get it all worked out by COB tomorrow, very tight timeline. Good luck!!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
Are your side skirts messed up too...?

If so: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/cbp-base-sideskirts-895195/

Good luck with all the BS

Last edited by 96SC4; 08-31-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:14 PM
3rd Gear

[QUOTE=Vlad_Type_S;14648768]Hey man. Really cool of you to come on here. I'm really sorry that the same thing happened to you man, it sucks big-time. The guys I found on craigslist were on 51st and California. I knew they weren't mine because the way I pieced it together they would have had to snatch my shit, drive all the way back down there, clean the wheels up, change the tires, put on tire shine, take pics of them on a civic, take the wheels off, and then put them up for sale. I won't go into the details of my communications, but based on me and 2 of my friends trolling this guy, there is no way those were mine. They might have been yours though, did you have Hankook tires?

Dude, we should go have a beer some time lol.

Yeah they weren't mine. I went personally with my entourage backing me up.
They're very shady and really didn't want to be in a public place. My TL-S rims had brand spankin' new Yokahama yk580 tires. I was pretty pissed.

But yeah, a drink sounds great sometime.
The following users liked this post:
JORTS (09-05-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 08:03 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Here are the rims. I used an iPhone's front camera to read the text on the inside of the spokes. I'm not sure what the OEM wheels say, but I do know that they have "HONDA" or something as well as an excerpt of the part number or perhaps the complete part number. These have the following text inside:
Max Load; 690KG; 71763; 17x8J; OFF 45; Made In; China; Dot T; SAE; J2530

Definitely NOT OEM wheels. I suppose I wouldn't have a big problem with that except that they are painted very poorly. Orange peel all over and paint runs. Also, the tires were balanced with many weights (~10 per wheel) on the outside of the wheel as opposed to the inside which I recall from Acura. I'll be starting an argument with them shortly...

Old 09-01-2013, 06:17 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

^^ Yeah, I dont think those are OEM .

The OEM ones say "Enkei" on the back side of one of the spokes.

Vlad_Type_S (09-03-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 06:20 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

BTW the color code for type S OEM wheels is Acura code NH-643M (Anthracite metallic from 04-06 TL).
Shoot2Thrill (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Race Director

It all probably depends on what his policy's fine print says. If it says they can use OEM equivalent parts/aftermarket parts, then it's over (unless he wanted to make up the difference in cost). If the paint doesn't match, then he might be able to use that to get some kind of consideration in the matter.

If the fine print says OEM replacement, then he's got a case...
Old 09-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Type Sour

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts
Smh aftermarket Type S wheels why???
Old 09-01-2013, 12:28 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by THEReeM718
Smh aftermarket Type S wheels why???
You'd be amazed as to what most insurance/body shops are putting on cars these days. Gone are the days when everything was replaced with OEM components.

From bumpers, headlights, wheels, interior trim to seats body accessories etc.

For example, 10 years ago TYC and Depo use to make after market projector headlights that people use to buy to replace OEM reflector based headlights. As time went on these companies realized rather than going after that small segment of the market, comprised of people who mod their cars, why not go after OEM replacement products.

An OEM set of replacement TL headlights is around $800 wholesale, where as a set from Depo can be had for as little as $300, same is the case with wheels. Its a blessing for insurance companies and body shops but a nightmare for owners who pay huge premiums all year long only to find piss poor quality components being installed on their cars

In most cases you cant protest it either.

Last edited by JnC; 09-01-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Type Sour

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by JnC
You'd be amazed as to what most insurance/body shops are putting on cars these days. Gone are the days when everything was replaced with OEM components.

From bumpers, headlights, wheels, interior trim to seats body accessories etc.

For example, 10 years ago TYC and Depo use to make after market projector headlights that people use to buy to replace OEM reflector based headlights. As time went on these companies realized rather than going after that small segment of the market, comprised of people who mod their cars, why not go after OEM replacement products.

An OEM set of replacement TL headlights is around $800 wholesale, where as a set from Depo can be had for as little as $300, same is the case with wheels. Its a blessing for insurance companies and body shops but a nightmare for owners who pay huge premiums all year long only to find piss poor quality components being installed on their cars

In most cases you cant protest it either.
Yeah I understand shops do that, I meant why like he has a Type S he should have OEM Type S wheels easily.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Registered Bike Offender

Originally Posted by JnC
BTW the color code for type S OEM wheels is Acura code NH-643M (Anthracite metallic from 04-06 TL).
Thanks!! I really appreciate the pic too, I'm going to send that straight to the shop for them to make sure the next set is OEM. The last time I spoke with either of the two guys at the body shop, they both agreed that I'm entitled to OEM refurbished wheels and said their supplier promises that, so I suspect they are going to argue with their supplier. Unless they were blowing smoke at me and knew from the beginning that they would send aftermarket crap. They won't even be able to find matching center caps lol. I'm flying out to Malaysia in a couple of hours so this car situation will be interesting. A close friend of mine will inspect it and pick it up when they're done. I'll keep posting updates! Thanks for all of your help everyone! Everyone who contributed to this thread has made my life just a little easier so I extend my gratitude.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 78 Posts
Man sorry to see this happened. This just scares me especially since I'm from around here too. I cannot afford to lose my aspecs. I gotta jump on some kind of security quick. I just don't know if I'm ready to drop the cash for the rimlox.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Advanced

Got the some nice cinder blocks and a jack ok or the deal at least!

Bummer dude, beautiful rims, hope u get the new ones on soon!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:54 PM
3rd Gear

I hope you have a good trip, and that the fiasco gets resolved with the insurance company. I've heard that Allstate and Statefarm have oem part clauses that allow you to ask for oem, though I've never confirmed it.

Keep us updated.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Since im always looking for Acura TL stuff on craigslist I found this. Again, no clue if they are legit or not, but since its Type S wheels for sale on criagslist in Chicago I figured I would post this link. Recognize any of the curb rash or tires as the ones that were potentially stolen off your car?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pts/4068588514.html
Acura-OC (09-16-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 02:06 AM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Gosh this was the worst thread I could have read before going to bed. Now I'm going to be paranoid, even though I live in one of the top-3 safest cities in the country (statistically true) since I park on the street.

Good luck to you all, I have wheel locks on my car but that probably doesn't offset the fact that my TL is one of three in this entire city. Driving a "rare" car like that around here is almost asking for it
Old 09-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Chicago's_TL

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I feel bad for you man, Glad i live in the suburbs and have wheel locks
Old 09-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,160 Likes on 909 Posts
any update from the OP on the rimlox?
Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Wow Amaze Such TL-S

Received 129 Likes on 112 Posts
vlad, also any update if you can get oem? that sucks that they tried to rip you off with poor quality aftermarket junk. fight fight fight
Old 09-19-2013, 09:08 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts

hate thieves....Vlad, I hope the insurance will step up and get you OEM rims....
Old 09-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
I can't believe after all these years of stolen rims you guys aren't marking the inside of your rims with some way of engraving.

Initials or a serial number of some sorts. It helps to track rims when they sell on ebay or when you see a Honda accord with waffles.

Buy wheel locks sure but that doesn't stop theft. Identification and documentation gets convictions.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:42 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
good luck vlad. im glad that doesnt happen where i live, or of it does, its probly on my neighbors benz or somthing lol.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Holy shit dudes, I'm back.

Worked like an Asian out there and the work dragged out until now. Finally glad to hop on AZ and close some loops!!!

The shop got OEM wheels and center caps, all brand new. They claim they got it from a dealer, but I don't really care because I inspected them and they're legit. I didn't have to argue with anyone about this except the shop. And the dudes were extremely helpful and agreed that I should get OEM everything. They ended up amending the estimate (total came out to ~$4500) which included all parts, mounting and balancing, front end alignment, TPMS calibration, and body work. I never heard from State Farm: they just cut the shop a check. So this is a huge win from a financial standpoint: $500 for new wheels and tires, but I still would have rather these salad tossers not molest my baby.

I now park my car in a garage with Rimlox. I'll do a write up of the Rimlox soon. It's some ballsy protection: everyone who see's them just says "What the fuck? How do you even get those off?" Best part: complete insurance. If my wheels get jacked with those things installed, they buy a brand new wheelset w/ tires at no cost to me. I wonder if this kind of product can lower my insurance premiums.
Kaiii (12-20-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Originally Posted by Rickyp39
Man sorry to see this happened. This just scares me especially since I'm from around here too. I cannot afford to lose my aspecs. I gotta jump on some kind of security quick. I just don't know if I'm ready to drop the cash for the rimlox.
Here's a money saving strat: buy 5 different types of locks. Cheaper than rimlox but a PITA when you're working on your car. I love ASPECS dude: at that point it's not even about the cost of replacement since they're getting rare. You can also add tilt/shock sensors. Someone did a write up of how to install and calibrate those but I can't remember where to find it lol. It's not expensive.

You live on the northwest side of Chicago? Let's go drink.

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Since im always looking for Acura TL stuff on craigslist I found this. Again, no clue if they are legit or not, but since its Type S wheels for sale on criagslist in Chicago I figured I would post this link. Recognize any of the curb rash or tires as the ones that were potentially stolen off your car?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pts/4068588514.html
James, you're a true gentleman. Unfortunately I didn't look at the post in time and they're gone now. The cops didn't give a shit anyway. They didn't even come out for a felony theft. The thieves left their jack and a couple of days later I found a matching OEM sack with a tire iron thingy that goes with the jack. The only way to really get justice is to be a vigilante. I'll be smarter about it next time.

Originally Posted by rohanq35
I feel bad for you man, Glad i live in the suburbs and have wheel locks
Thank you for the sentiment, but don't pity me bro. Way way WAY worse shit happens to people than this. It's just stuff. Can be replaced. "Money comes and goes, we all know that. But the most important thing in life will always be the people in this room." -Vin Diesel dropping wisdom in F&F.

Originally Posted by sauceja
I can't believe after all these years of stolen rims you guys aren't marking the inside of your rims with some way of engraving.

Initials or a serial number of some sorts. It helps to track rims when they sell on ebay or when you see a Honda accord with waffles.

Buy wheel locks sure but that doesn't stop theft. Identification and documentation gets convictions.
Dude, genius. I'm doing that next time I take my rims off.

Originally Posted by carz0159
good luck vlad. im glad that doesnt happen where i live, or of it does, its probly on my neighbors benz or somthing lol.
I think jacking parts off a Benz is harder than a Honda/Acura. You probably have to remove the seatbelts to get access to the lug nuts. Plus the security features are intimidating to thieves I bet.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Wow Amaze Such TL-S

Received 129 Likes on 112 Posts
^Glad to hear that it worked out!
Vlad_Type_S (12-20-2013)
Old 12-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
I think jacking parts off a Benz is harder than a Honda/Acura. You probably have to remove the seatbelts to get access to the lug nuts. Plus the security features are intimidating to thieves I bet.
Buried at the end, but pretty damn funny. A friend needed to replace the fuel pump on a Volkswagen TDI. The Volkswagen required 10+ hours labor to take apart the bulk of the engine. On my old 1999 Maxima, it took about 15 minutes. "German Engineering" being used as a compliment - my arse...
Old 12-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Crap like that used to happen (and maybe still does) to the 2002-3 Maximas. People were stealing the factory HIDs. And doing significant damage to the cars in the process. Took Nissan a few years to come up with a fix that made removing the lights significantly harder. Some people had their headlights stolen 3-4 times before their insurance dropped them.

Wheel locks help but if any of the thieves worked at a tire store, they know how to get them off.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
This makes me sick I'm sorry op and everyone who had there rims stolen. Every time I see something like this I get even more worried. But I sleep with my car basically 10 feet from my window and I have wheel locks. Honestly op at least they didn't take the car. Going through insurance you should be back on the road in a couple days
Old 12-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

I will definitely be doing this when I get back from Malaysia. Until then, my car will be sitting in my garage. Anyone else have any thoughts about preventative measures? Are there different varieties of wheel lock that you can't remove by hammering on a 12 point socket?
Wait, you have a garage but you were parking your car on the street? In Chicago?
Old 12-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Originally Posted by Alexns05
Wait, you have a garage but you were parking your car on the street? In Chicago?
Haha caught that, did you? Perceptive.

It's a long story that involves a combination of many elements: moving between Milwaukee, Appleton and Chicago several times, evil girlfriends, hoarding parents, property emergencies, and working crazy hours while having no life. The low crime rate in my neighborhood gave me a false sense of security. Plus I get lazy after dealing with all that crap so I just go to sleep. Yes, this happened because I wasn't prioritizing my car.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts
Oh man, it's all good. Shyt happens! I'm just OCD about parking in my garage. After I moved from my dad's house a few years back into my house I was so excited because I never had a garage so I always park there.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:56 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottwax
Crap like that used to happen (and maybe still does) to the 2002-3 Maximas. People were stealing the factory HIDs. And doing significant damage to the cars in the process. Took Nissan a few years to come up with a fix that made removing the lights significantly harder. Some people had their headlights stolen 3-4 times before their insurance dropped them.
Headlight theft is the #1 insurance claim on the 2G TL. That's why our 3G TL's light assemblies were made a pain in the ass to take off.

Last edited by DMZ; 12-22-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I'm fortunate to have a garage to park mine in. I can only imagine what it must be like parking it on the street on a daily basis. I get freaked out when I park mine at the mall.

Quick Reply: $500 Lesson in Wheel Locks