Any Overall Problems for RLXs

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Overall Problems for RLXs

I am looking at purchasing a used 2014 RLX to replace my 2002 32.TL which recently developed transmission issues. We've really enjoyed the 02 TL which was purchased new in mid-2001 and currently has 179K miles. Sometime ago, Acura issued a recall (and fixed?) a transmission-related problem; I don't know if these two problems maybe related. Anyway, I initially considered having the transmission removed and rebuilt at a cost of $2500. However, considering the mileage, I am pursuing a replacement vehicle which brings me back to my initial inquiries.

Since the 2014 RLX is at the beginning of a new product line, I suspect there are/have been some issues which I should consider in making this decision. I note there are pages of entries on this site related to problems and fixes in the RLX line. Unfortunately, there are way too many for me to scan/read in a day or two. Having no car is really a challenge nowadays, so, would some of you with more knowledge and experience lend a hand to share what items I should be aware/familiar with? More so, since I am buying a used car, is the Certified Prior Owned banner a must or nice to have? I have also noted the RLX comes with a 5 year/50K mile warranty for accessories and 7 year/70K miles warranty for the power train. A vehicle with low mileage will translate to a higher asking price so what is a good range for the "yes or no" decision.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to reading your input.

Last edited by 57 Handyman; 12-21-2016 at 04:18 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-21-2016, 06:27 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
There is a lot of information on the board, and I can understand you being overwhelmed to read all of it for the information you seek. I will post a few bullets that you can search on for more detail, and I am sure other members will amend it. And you are correct, as with most all manufacturers there are bugs and niggles in 1st year models. Only you can decide if they are tolerable weighed by the vehicle cost:

* 2014-2015 Infotainment System is slow and a bit clunky. This was rectified in the 2016 MY along with additional data displayed for music selections
* 2014-2015 PAWS models have been criticized for brittle suspension on choppy surfaces and uncharacteristic to this car segment. This was not as noticeable in the Sport Hybrid likely due to battery and motor weight as well as better weight distribution. The suspension was modified for 2016 MY.
* There are several TSBs you should check in the TSB Sticky near the top of the General Forum and verify they have been applied to the car (as a condition of purchase). Check the TSB thread which EE4Life has generously supplied to us.
* As above, there are a few recalls mostly affecting the early 2014 RLXs (which should be addressed in condition of sale or CPO)

Those, I believe are the primary issues shared by more than one off situations reported. They are also the cause for Consumer Reports panning the RLX as not recommended. However the corrections were made with the 2016 MY along with some additional features (Surround View Cam, Remote Start, Heated Steering Wheel, etc - mostly captured in the Advance trim level). Only you can decide if the cost differential for a 2014 vs 2016. And yes, CPO adds value as it does add a 100,000 mile warranty on a used car - better than new car warranty. It also gives you leverage to have Acura address any issues surfacing shortly after CPO purchase as the vehicle is supposed ot be meticulously inspected.

Last, most of these bullets are unique to the FWD / PAWS version of the RLX. The 2014 Sport Hybrid shares the clunky infotainment unit but most all other issues are not present in the late arriving 2014 Sport Hybrid.

HTH
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
fsmith (12-22-2016), hondamore (01-24-2023), pgeorg (12-22-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 05:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TampaRLX, thanks for the summary. I appreciate your taking the time to input the information. In the end, it appears my wife, who will be the primary driver, wants to downsize to a smaller-sized and more fuel economical vehicle. I will now become the primary driver of our 2005 RL which with 90K miles is beginning to show some wear and tear. Again, thanks for the information. Merry Christmas!!!