Brown DVD Map Update - Voice Commands Changed

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts
Brown DVD Map Update - Voice Commands Changed

I need the collective knowledge of the group - I recently updated the maps in my 2016 RLX Hybrid (brown DVD) and now my voice commands have changed.
Prior to the update, I could say "Display Map" and it would go to the navigation map - while in that screen I could then say "Trip Computer" and it would switch to the mpg screen in the information section. I could also say "Temperature xx degrees" and it would then change the temp.
After the update, when I try the same sequence, it will display the map, but those subsequent commands above take me to a section of my phone book. The car is currently having a B1 service, and the techs are trying to troubleshoot the issue along with the scheduled maintenance.

My question - have any of you experienced any issues after the map update? I understand that the RLX has the "Voice Portal" and I have read the manual which says that what I used to do shouldn't work - I should go to Voice Portal, then Climate Control to change the temperature / be in the Information screen to say "Trip Computer".

Another possibility - perhaps I had a "gremlin" in the system when I bought the car and the update "corrected" this? Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:39 AM
Advanced

UPDATE: Acura service called and said that the hard drive crashed - most likely during the install of the map updates. Very strange, as I followed the instructions exactly as printed on the enclosed manual. Since it is a "restricted part" from Alpine (not sure why it would be restricted) service has no idea when the part will arrive. All music and saved addresses will be lost. Hard drive install estimated to be 2 hours. Fun...
Old 05-17-2018, 04:20 PM
Advanced

UPDATE: Acura service called and said that the hard drive has been replaced & new maps are on it. Drove it home - still the same issues as before - not working like it used to. Any RLX drivers out there willing to perform a test to help me out?

Go to your navigation screen (map) - while in that screen say "Trip Computer" and let me know if the display switches to the mpg screen in the information section.

Thanks - Karl
Old 05-18-2018, 06:24 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Krlesch
UPDATE: Any RLX drivers out there willing to perform a test to help me out?

Go to your navigation screen (map) - while in that screen say "Trip Computer" and let me know if the display switches to the mpg screen in the information section.

Thanks - Karl
I tested this out for you driving into the office this morning. I had the radio playing with my Nav (map screen) on. I then said "Trip Computer" and it brought me to the mpg screen. I pushed the Nav button to bring me back to the map and then said "Power Distribution Monitor" and it correctly brought me to that too. I also tried it with the radio off just to see if that would make a difference - same results.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Ok, I tried this and none of those commands work. I also have the updated Brown DVD V2 since December, so I will have to say that its because of the update.....
Old 05-18-2018, 09:17 AM
Advanced

Thanks gents - I knew I wasn't senile...I will keep everyone updated on whet Acura does to fix this issue.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (05-18-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 08:34 AM
Advanced

Sent an email to HERE customer support (map distributor) requesting a refund for the map DVD's and a technical solution to revert my system prior to the update. Was contacted within 48 hours - refund is being processed. HERE didn't have any technical solution - as explained to me, they just collect GPS data and send that information to Honda/Acura. Honda/Acura decides how much of the data they want to include in an update, then they create the metadata and send the completed update to HERE. HERE creates the media and performs the sales/distribution role. So...I have a Friday meeting scheduled with the service manager of my dealership to determine whether there is a way to revert back or not.

Interesting note: The commands that are missing on my system (GO HOME, TRIP COMPUTER, etc,) are listed in the 2016 Owner's Navigation manual (page 146) as General commands (can be used from any screen), but they have been omitted from the same manual for the 2017 & 2018 RLX.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (05-23-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 05:20 AM
Advanced

So - there is no way to revert the system back to the way it was. The issue was escalated to Acura, and their "engineers" responded that the infotainment system was changed (via DVD upgrade) so that a broader segment of the population that may not speak perfect English would be able to utilize the system more effectively. Certain commands were eliminated completely (eg. Trip Computer) while other commands can be accessed by using the Voice Portal and selecting a number. Of course, all commands can be accessed by pushing the buttons - some may require the car to be stopped.

My dealership, to make up for the inconvenience to me, will update my system with the next update for free. I still won't get my commands back, but I did get the current and next update for free.
The following 2 users liked this post by Krlesch:
GizmoPDX (06-05-2018), pgeorg (06-05-2018)
Old 04-23-2019, 12:54 AM
Snoozabelle

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
So in other words, don't update!