What do you LIKE about the RLX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
What do you LIKE about the RLX?

As your humble moderator, I see (and have been part of myself, shame on me) lots of criticism of the new RLX.

I would like to balance this trend with some positivity. This thread is meant to express positive thoughts about the RLX, since it does have some good points. A similar thread was very successful and continued for years in the 2G RL forum.

Those who own one, what little things have jumped out about the car that you like?

Ideally, we'd hear from some who have actually driven the PAWS version. (Actually, I'd love to hear from anyone who's driven the SH-SH-AWD version....though I doubt I can convince anyone to break NDA ). Also, I'd LOVE it if Colin made one of his famous videos about RLX features. *hinthinthint*

I think the styling is OK and would benefit from a nicer set of wheels. Were I to purchase one, whether PAWS or AWD, I would immediately swap out for a nice set of 5-spoke 19s.

The cockpit is nice and neat. The button cluster of the prior RL has been cleaned up somewhat.

I sat in the back seat of one at the Cleveland Auto Show, put the front seat all the way back, and was amazed at how much room there was. For reference, I am currently 5'10" and 160 pounds.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:57 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Despite some criticism I have seen here, I think the interior looks very sharp and I like the concept of the dual touch screens.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
I'm a tech geek.... and I LOVE Lane Keep Assist and ACC with low speed follow. I have an 06 RL CMBS and one of my biggest wishes was for ACC to work UNDER 25mph! And I can't tell you how many times I have hit the rumble strips while driving long distances cause I was kinda dozing off. (I know I know... I should pull over and rest!)
neuronbob (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
While I don't own one I have test driven it for 45 min, and must say that as usual Acura build quality is superior and also the Tech is as good or better than the competition.
neuronbob (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I test drove the RLX in March. I like:

The way the RLX looks
The cruise control with low-speed follow
The rear seat room.
neuronbob (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
I have yet to see the RLX in person, so I'll qualify my comments as "which attributes of the RLX I am most anxious to experience"...
- I'm a big fan of the interior, both layout and roominess. Most sedan buyers are anticipating times when they will be transporting multiple passengers and therefore wish there was a bit more room in the back seat...apparently, Acura has responded to that need.

- The Krell Audio system. I am hardly an audiophile, but I definitely enjoy listening to clean, crisp music, especially during highway driving.

- Related to above...the quietness of the RLX has been mentioned in many reviews and I certainly covet a smooth, quiet ride in my vehicles.

- I am most stoked about the SH SHAWD model that has yet to debut. I'll be honest here...I personally don't put a lot of emphasis on fuel economy when deciding on car purchases(I put less than 5000 miles a year on my cars), but I'm anxious to experience the performance benefit that the low-speed torque of the electric motors provides. I've driven a SHAWD vehicle since '05, so I don't expect to be overly wowed by the handling advantages of the new system over the current SHAWD system, but I'm still very eager to try it out on some quick corners.
neuronbob (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I drove the Base RLX. Being an audiophile, I'm in love with Krell. I was always wondering when Krell would work with a car manufacture, and happy it was Acura. This was one of the reason I considered the RLX. The light interior in the RLX is not bad and I could live with it. The acceleration is very smooth. That's it for my positive -
neuronbob (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

I wonder how Krell compares to high-end audio systems in the Lexus GS or Infiniti M.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:42 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 841 Likes on 524 Posts
I love the interior design, feel, and quality. Rear seat has tons of room, not that I will be sitting there if I buy one...lol. I like the exterior design too, especially the rear end.
neuronbob (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 12:49 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
-I loved the interior layout, the gauges, steering controls, and all of the goodies that come with it (of course very honda/acura typical in terms of ergonomics).
-The seating is comfortable and body hugging which I like considering i'm leaner than the average consumer.
-The night time exterior lighting is HOT! Loving the new LEDs on the tails and the jewel eyes are unique (though busy for my tastes during the day)
-The leather was supple and was much nicer than any TL I've driven or even the MDX.
-The drive: it was nice, drove like a smaller car than it was.
-The features in the Advance model, while on paper sound really cool and neat, i find myself too much of a "driver" to let the car kind of "drive" for you. (personal preference). the brake assist feature is neat though. it would be great to have around here.
-i find the exterior, despite my initial, "eh" response when i saw the pics, seeing the car in person, my response elevated to "it's a handsome mature car." I wouldn't own one, because of the sporty nature in my personal tastes, but given the options of choosing the "executive sedan" across brands, the RLX would be on the list of choices.
neuronbob (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

That's the spirit! Keep it up (if only in this thread). We need to hear from the actual owners, who've spent more miles than a test drive in this car.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
I wonder how Krell compares to high-end audio systems in the Lexus GS or Infiniti M.

Without using same source and music it would be difficult to say. However, I doubt very much either would be as good or truer to the music. The Meridian in the Jag, would be up there, if not better sounding then the Krell. Usually, it all comes down to your taste in music and what you think accurate is. While the ELS system in my TL is not the absolute best, its very pleasing to my ears. Believe it or not, one of the best stock system I ever heard was in a older Audio 8. It had a Bose system with bass that made my pants bottom flutter. Anyway back to the joys of the RLX!
Old 04-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I've seen the RLX in person and personnaly I like the style both in/out.
Back seat room is impressive.
Need to drive it to say any mroe, but the tech stuff looks well done.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Trust me the Bose 5.1 in my M is not in the same league, it s acceptable and decent, but ELS s better. I sampled M&L inLexus and it was very good.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I have been harsh on the Acura family as of late myself so I could use a spanking of my own. That being said, despite my criticism, I still feel that the overall exterior design looks clean and elegant and that equipped with better wheels, the RLX would look good. I like the quality of the material, and that is usually one advantage Acura has over cheaper brand. I am happy that Acura is giving its owners a great audio system, being the ELS or Krell system.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
I love the tech that Acura endows their cars with, both the in-cabin and under the sheet-metal tech is world-class.
I like the grey leather interior and all the features found in the Advance package. Overall interior design and materials is what I expect in a vehicle of this class, and I like it a lot.
The Krell audio system is very competent. Glad to see this option in a car I'm planning to get.

The exterior is nice enough, with interesting surface changes and a stronger dimensional look than my '07 RL. The overall shape is OK, and front end looks good with the new lights.

Driving experience likes will need to wait until I get my hands on the Sports Hybrid, and expect I that one to be awesome.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JonFo
Driving experience likes will need to wait until I get my hands on the Sports Hybrid, and expect I that one to be awesome.
This is what I am waiting for. I have been spoiled by SH-AWD. My RL was a great driving experience because of that and it only improved with lowered suspension and sticky tires. It was a truly unique driving experience that alas, too few people got to share. My hope is that the new Sport Hybrid does SH-AWD one better.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I sat in the Advance (manager had already claimed it) and drove the Tech. I like:

1) The Krell system. Auditioned it with a DTS CD. Far superior to the ELS in my 2009 TL SH-AWD Tech.
2) The exterior and interior appearance and quality.
3) The very quiet cabin.
4) The automatic brake hold.
5) Smooth transmission.
6) Interior space.

My father-in-law was here from the UK and is a diehard BMW owner and fan. He was very impressed with the RLX and dealership experience.

I'm waiting for the SH-SH-AWD hybrid.
jhr3uva90 (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Racer

Received 240 Likes on 151 Posts
I test drove an Advance model when it first arrived in mid February. I was most impressed with the build quality, quietness, and expected Acura ergonomics. This is a fine vehicle which I feel has been unfairly maligned. I am waiting to drive the SH SH AWD when it is introduced and look forward to that. I hope they offer an exclusive color or two when it debuts but knowing Acura like we do I don't have my hopes set too high !!!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011TL
I sat in the Advance (manager had already claimed it) and drove the Tech. I like:

1) The Krell system. Auditioned it with a DTS CD. Far superior to the ELS in my 2009 TL SH-AWD Tech.
2) The exterior and interior appearance and quality.
3) The very quiet cabin.
4) The automatic brake hold.
5) Smooth transmission.
6) Interior space.

My father-in-law was here from the UK and is a diehard BMW owner and fan. He was very impressed with the RLX and dealership experience.

I'm waiting for the SH-SH-AWD hybrid.
Wow! That is saying a lot (see #1).
Old 04-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
^ ^
Frankly, I wasn't expecting much for the Krell package add-on at "only" $2k. It was a pleasant surprise. I left the dealership trying not to justify spending $60k-$75k for an auto sound system!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I have yet to drive it, but sitting in the car, the materials felt of high quality and the vastness of the back seat area is a big advantage for folks who need to drive adults around.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

You know what else I like about the RLX? Power folding mirrors! The old RL didn't have them, and neither does the new Lexus GS. WTF?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh, and another thing I like about Acura RLX is the new AcuraLink:

Old 04-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
^^^The old RL was the only Acura with power folding mirrors (though, like the new one, only on higher trims). I think it was the only Acura with a power rear sunshade, as well.

That being said, in the US, power folding mirrors are a dying option for most cars. Strange, though, since the cheaper Lexus RX has them as an option, though that's a different type of car.

I know a couple of lessor hyundais (not the Genesis or Eqqus) can be optioned with power folding mirrors, though I suspect as the Korean Won goes up, that "extra" will meet the chopping block.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:12 AM
Senior Moderator

The power folding mirrors were 2009 and up. Jhr and I had pre-MMC RLs so no power mirrors.

They were available on the JDM model from the start (2005 model year), along with other tech that never made it here, like night vision, smart cards in dash, and front bumper side view cameras.

Last edited by neuronbob; 04-15-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
I've sat in a couple, and seen one out on the highway. I'm very impressed with the interior, which has a cleaner, more fuss-free design than most these days. I also think the exterior styling will help make it more successful than previous generations. It isn't exactly gorgeous, but it has gravitas, which TLtrigirl aptly called handsome and mature. The last RL looked weak, which I suspect contributed to its poor sales.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
These are Honda smallest cars Amaze and City and they have power folding mirrors in $10,000 vehicle.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
The first time I saw the RLX concept, I actually really liked it and put it on my mental list to check out. As it released and more details came out, I liked it less and less. However, I do like the LED lights and the technology and controls.

I find the controls on our MDX a bit fussy with all those small buttons and the two screens seems to work.

Funny thing is I had the exact opposite reaction to the new MDX. Hated it when it was launched and now warming a bit to it. When both are in the dealers, I will check them out more thoroughly.

So two things I like about the RLX:

1. LED lights
2. Technology (nav, voice commands, controls)

I will add, I do like the styling more than the old RL

Last edited by noobie; 04-15-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Instructor

You know what else I like about the RLX? Power folding mirrors! The old RL didn't have them, and neither does the new Lexus GS. WTF?
Why is there so much love for folding mirrors. My old GS had them, but they were manual, power (meaning button activated to fold and open). I never really used them.

I have automatic ones mow that fold on door lock and unfold on open as well as with a button. I don't really care about them as much as I thought I would.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

My M has them manually activated, I guess in a tight space or tight garage opening it would help, as with the big mirrors on the M I can see how little clearance there is on both sides if you had issues judging the width. I used them once to check them out, never since.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

I seem to be in tight spaces pretty often. Power folding mirrors would help. So would a small turning radius.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by noobie
Why is there so much love for folding mirrors. My old GS had them, but they were manual, power (meaning button activated to fold and open). I never really used them.

I have automatic ones mow that fold on door lock and unfold on open as well as with a button. I don't really care about them as much as I thought I would.
I was thinking the same. I have them on our X5 and I never use them.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Everybody should have folding mirrors, I'm fed up with folding other peoples mirrors when I get into my car in a parking lot.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by db22
Everybody should have folding mirrors, I'm fed up with folding other peoples mirrors when I get into my car in a parking lot.
Forget the mirrors, I'd rather have people stop dinging my car in parking lots!

I think this is one of these features that sounds great and useful and the when you have it, it not so useful after all. At least that's how I feel about them. Do use them at car washes though. It save the attendant folding them in.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you live in the suburbs where you rarely parallel park or rarely park in tight public parking garages, then folding mirrors might be unnecessary. However, those of us in urban areas might find them useful.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Instructor

I see your point, but I'd probably be looking for a smaller car if it were so tight that I needed to fold the mirrors in. I find the auto mirrors that lower on reverse more useful for parallel parking as you can see the curb while backing up.

Have you ever had a car with them? I'm only asking since I thought they would be really useful until I actually got them.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
[QUOTE=noobie;14428591]I think this is one of these features that sounds great and useful and the when you have it, it not so useful after all. QUOTE]

After you have driven through a tight space against oncoming traffic in the city and you smash your mirror against the opposing cars mirror then you will be glad you can fold them prior to experiencing the tight squeeze. Replacing fixed mirrors in big cities is big business especially as each mirror can be over $300.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I could never imagine living in such a city. I guess I take for granted how well we have it here in rural Canada where traffic, crimes and damaged mirrors from oncoming traffic is something you hear about on the internet only
Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE=db22;14430251]
Originally Posted by noobie
I think this is one of these features that sounds great and useful and the when you have it, it not so useful after all. QUOTE]

After you have driven through a tight space against oncoming traffic in the city and you smash your mirror against the opposing cars mirror then you will be glad you can fold them prior to experiencing the tight squeeze. Replacing fixed mirrors in big cities is big business especially as each mirror can be over $300.
I can see that they would be useful in that situation, but I would imagine that a small fraction of RLX owners would encounter that. If you have ever been driven around in places like Mumbai, Bangkok, Manila you'll know that the crazy drivers over there take every inch of paved or unpaved surface and drive way closer than we would ever. Even then they get a few mirror knocks, but it's not that common.

But it you routinely drive in tight quarters, I could see how you might find them valuable.

Quick Reply: What do you LIKE about the RLX?