So what's your EV 'high score'?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 12:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Driving mostly highway today at 78 mph cruise. I find it odd that ICE was charging battery a large part of the time even though battery was >50%. Was in "Normal" mode.
Seems like better mpg would be achieved if ICE was not charging at that speed and battery level.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
Driving mostly highway today at 78 mph cruise. I find it odd that ICE was charging battery a large part of the time even though battery was >50%. Was in "Normal" mode.
Seems like better mpg would be achieved if ICE was not charging at that speed and battery level.
That is usual and customary, totally normal battery charging behavior. You will see your best mpg between 35-50mph as that is when the ICE will turn off much more frequently. Above 57 mph the ICE will stay on 100% of the time. I see 32-35mpg very frequently on all highway drives, unless I dip into the gas in sport mode, then all bets are off.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:13 AM
Safety Car

This was on the MDX not RLX. My logic was when more HP is needed to keep high speed, don't charge. When less HP is needed at lower speed charge. >75 mph is the worst highway mpg and it is also charging battery
Old 06-30-2017, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

This was on the MDX not RLX. My logic was when more HP is needed to keep high speed, don't charge. When less HP is needed at lower speed charge. >75 mph is the worst highway mpg and it is also charging battery
Good question. Let me elaborate.

In the MDX-SH with my driving only (not my wife), on this tank I am holding strong between 28.8 and 29.6 mpg so far with a little over 200 miles driven and the range to empty now says 445 miles remaining. I doubt that last data point, but who cares. I typically drive around 75 mph on the highway, but only when traffic permits. Driving on the same roads in the same manner, I typically see 30-33 (+/-) average mpg in the RLX-SH so the RLX-SH is definitely doing better there, even with way more available usable power on demand. Regarding the charging characteristics between the two vehicles, they are the same. Well almost. The MDX-SH seems to charge up a little faster and discharges about the same. It is easier to drive in all EV mode in the MDX-SH, but with experience a new driver in the RLX-SH will soon figure out how to do that on demand too. When either car is driven over 57 mph, the battery system is getting a trickle charge as it is approximately discharging equivalently I believe. When the cylinder deactivation is kicking in and we can't sense when that is happening (at least I haven't yet), the EV motor discharge makes up the difference in real time. Truly amazing technology that I hope one day will be appreciated more by the car media. Maybe the MDX and the NSX will convince people to look at the RLX Sport Hybrid and see its amazing "sleeper" value. I still get a kick out of surprising some young 20's driver with a loud exhaust and hat on sideways from a light. I'll bet that person is trying to figure out how such a boat of a family car just left them at the light. I have done that many times and at the next light that kid is putting his window down to ask how that happened. That just does not get old, even for an older dude. A lot of thumbs up.

Anyway, I still think the revolutionary items in the MDX-SH are the active shocks. Hands down the best thing Acura did other than creating the Sport Hybrid system. Love it!
Old 07-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Safety Car

Still think it should have somewhat bigger battery at least in the MDX where the weight is not as big a concern. A spirited acceleration from 0 to 70 on freeway on ramp changed battery from 3/4 charge to 1/4 charge in MDX.
Maybe I am a bit jaded because my wife's car is an all EV and I just don't see the battery drain (or charge) so quickly.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:55 AM
Safety Car

just finished 800 mile trip in MDX-SH from SF area to Medford. 2 mountainn passes - first got to elevation 3000 around Lake Shasta. Second was the Siskiyou pass at 4300 feet. Most of trip was on I-5 and had ACC set at 78 mph. I took the passes at mostly 65
for the first 80 miles on the outbound, I was stuck in stop and go traffic for ~60 of it. However, I averaged 27.5 mpg for that segment. Then got on I-5 and it remained at 27.5,, but creeped up and peaked at 28 mpg which I did not expect given I was going 78 mph. Perhaps Tailwind? After going through passes, my final mpg was 26.7.
Return trip started close to the Siskiyou pass, so mpg started low. Crept back up to 26.5 on south I-5 after passes, but then went down to just under 26 mpg. I think this confirms that I was downwind on outbound and against wind on return.
Enjoyed the car greatly on the trip. Seemed effortless to drive.
One thing I need your Sport Hybrid assist on - I had power monitor on for most of the outbound and particularly wanted to watch it during the curves in the passes. I noticed that at 60+ mph, the system gave power to the inside rear wheel and sometimes even braked the outside wheel. Is this to counter over-steer? At less than 60, I see the expected power to outside wheel and/or braking on inside wheel.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
just finished 800 mile trip in MDX-SH from SF area to Medford. 2 mountainn passes - first got to elevation 3000 around Lake Shasta. Second was the Siskiyou pass at 4300 feet. Most of trip was on I-5 and had ACC set at 78 mph. I took the passes at mostly 65
for the first 80 miles on the outbound, I was stuck in stop and go traffic for ~60 of it. However, I averaged 27.5 mpg for that segment. Then got on I-5 and it remained at 27.5,, but creeped up and peaked at 28 mpg which I did not expect given I was going 78 mph. Perhaps Tailwind? After going through passes, my final mpg was 26.7.
Return trip started close to the Siskiyou pass, so mpg started low. Crept back up to 26.5 on south I-5 after passes, but then went down to just under 26 mpg. I think this confirms that I was downwind on outbound and against wind on return.
Enjoyed the car greatly on the trip. Seemed effortless to drive.
One thing I need your Sport Hybrid assist on - I had power monitor on for most of the outbound and particularly wanted to watch it during the curves in the passes. I noticed that at 60+ mph, the system gave power to the inside rear wheel and sometimes even braked the outside wheel. Is this to counter over-steer? At less than 60, I see the expected power to outside wheel and/or braking on inside wheel.
those are awesome numbers. Almost as high as my rlx. I get 27-29 mpg on rlx sh.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:02 PM
Safety Car

forgot to do my proof

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/37740521@N06/, on Flickr
this was after 60 miles of stop and go
The following 2 users liked this post by getakey:
neuronbob (07-07-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 05:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
No HUD. . One of my favorite RLX features. It really should be at least in the top of the line MDX. It can't be that hard...there's room in the dash for that amber light to flash the windshield when you need to brake.
The following users liked this post:
moose66 (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 07:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
No HUD. . One of my favorite RLX features. It really should be at least in the top of the line MDX. It can't be that hard...there's room in the dash for that amber light to flash the windshield when you need to brake.
I'd really like to know what happened to the HUD as well. As you mentioned, it appears to be plenty of room on the dash. Maybe it has something to do with the angle of the windshield, or the type of windshield itself. I know that may be grasping at straws. But that works for me until someone comes up with a more realistic rationale.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

After spending a week at Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda on some of the best pink cool sand on earth, turquoise water of every shade imaginable and crazy rock formations creating amazing postcard-like sights everywhere I cast my eyes, upon getting back into the RLX-SH at the airport for the drive home, I was reminded of how fortunate we are to be able to afford these luxuries. I did not see one Acura of any make or year all week on the island. With the roads being as narrow as they are, and the very severe penalties imposed for speeding in that country, I can't see any reason for a car with more than 150hp to be sold there. At best you can get up to about 40mph for short periods.

I can't get past just how "lively" the throttle is in our Sport Hybrid and how very few people will get to enjoy the experience. I saw 34.7mpg on the way home in mixed highway cruising and stop/go traffic. Awesome!

https://goo.gl/photos/Mzvmv3bd5gBon1Vz6

Last edited by RLX-Sport Hybrid; 07-07-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:32 PM
Instructor

Finally got >30mpg

on a 50 mile mostly freeway trip i got 31.6 mpg. I tried really hard to maximize fuel efficiency so I was going 65mph feathering throttle. Normally I do 75-80mph on the same drive. I usually get 28-29mpg on that drive. I dont know how you guys get 35-40 mpg.
How long does a full charge all electric last. My electric battery drains awfully fast going 30-35 mph all electric.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Good question. Let me elaborate.

In the MDX-SH with my driving only (not my wife), on this tank I am holding strong between 28.8 and 29.6 mpg so far with a little over 200 miles driven and the range to empty now says 445 miles remaining. I doubt that last data point, but who cares. I typically drive around 75 mph on the highway, but only when traffic permits. Driving on the same roads in the same manner, I typically see 30-33 (+/-) average mpg in the RLX-SH so the RLX-SH is definitely doing better there, even with way more available usable power on demand. Regarding the charging characteristics between the two vehicles, they are the same. Well almost. The MDX-SH seems to charge up a little faster and discharges about the same. It is easier to drive in all EV mode in the MDX-SH, but with experience a new driver in the RLX-SH will soon figure out how to do that on demand too. When either car is driven over 57 mph, the battery system is getting a trickle charge as it is approximately discharging equivalently I believe. When the cylinder deactivation is kicking in and we can't sense when that is happening (at least I haven't yet), the EV motor discharge makes up the difference in real time. Truly amazing technology that I hope one day will be appreciated more by the car media. Maybe the MDX and the NSX will convince people to look at the RLX Sport Hybrid and see its amazing "sleeper" value. I still get a kick out of surprising some young 20's driver with a loud exhaust and hat on sideways from a light. I'll bet that person is trying to figure out how such a boat of a family car just left them at the light. I have done that many times and at the next light that kid is putting his window down to ask how that happened. That just does not get old, even for an older dude. A lot of thumbs up.

Anyway, I still think the revolutionary items in the MDX-SH are the active shocks. Hands down the best thing Acura did other than creating the Sport Hybrid system. Love it!
So I finally filled the tank on the MDX-SH after I drove most of the miles on it. It averaged 30.3 mpg, traveled 574 miles, and had 72 miles to empty on the gauge. No aggressive driving at all and it was about a 60/40 highway/local mix of driving.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:43 PM
Safety Car

That is high mpg in the MDX. I am pleasantly surprised to get 27+ in mostly freeway driving at 75+ mph in my MDX Hybrid. Peaked at 29 mpg during stretches of lower speeds. Very rare to exceed the mpg ratings. That sad, I'm going off the car monitor. Next fill-up I'll do the manual math.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

That is high mpg in the MDX. I am pleasantly surprised to get 27+ in mostly freeway driving at 75+ mph in my MDX Hybrid. Peaked at 29 mpg during stretches of lower speeds. Very rare to exceed the mpg ratings. That sad, I'm going off the car monitor. Next fill-up I'll do the manual math.
I have more time behind the wheel of the hybrid drive train than you do so with experience your mpg should rise as you learn to finesse the system. The roads you drive on matter too. I agree that it was high, but I saw 32-33 mpg in many short stints of local driving during the tank which pumped up the overall mpg. When my wife drove it and she has no experience with the mechanical components, she saw 27+ mpg so driver input matters a lot here.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Man you guys put me to shame

You get better mpg in an suv than I get in a super sexy 3 cars in 1 sporty sedan. The rlx sh can be a gas sipper, a super fast sporty sedan or a luxury sedan.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

No shame. If we leg it and keep it in sport mode, the mpg drops to the low teens and even single digits real fast. The thing is eco mode is more than lively enough to get you in trouble in a hurry and quite frankly you can't get away with driving like a Hoonigan without going to jail. It tends to be hard on the equipment too. As long as the heat is not required and operating with non-winter blend, low to mid-30's for mpg is very achievable from my experience in mixed highway/local driving. Stop and go can bring you back into the high 20's if it is prolonged.