So it has 377hp and gets 30+mpg? Hell yeah!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts
So it has 377hp and gets 30+mpg? Hell yeah!!

Chicago suburban driving....
Old 03-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
The question is how many miles did you go after filling up before taking this picture...
Old 03-07-2016, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JJones91
The question is how many miles did you go after filling up before taking this picture...
~35 miles for the first trip
~15 for the second
Old 03-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Pro

That's why lol..
Old 03-07-2016, 04:46 PM
Pro

I can do the same with my 05 RL. It'll show 33mpg but give it 100mi or so and it'll drop significantly. I have never been able to achieve over 25mpg with my RL. Being yours is an RLX SH-AWD it'll be higher of course but statistics show 30mpg for your car is about what you'll get.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:01 PM
Instructor

I can do the same with my 05 RL. It'll show 33mpg but give it 100mi or so and it'll drop significantly. I have never been able to achieve over 25mpg with my RL. Being yours is an RLX SH-AWD it'll be higher of course but statistics show 30mpg for your car is about what you'll get.
Lol...I know dude! But couldn't hide my excitement. After scooting around town getting 15mpg, this is mileage heaven.
But then again if every trip is going to 30+ in real life situation I should average 30+...
What dooms mileage is city driving and I have Ben getting >30% EV miles..
Old 03-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
The point they are making is you are not actually getting 30+ MPG. It is just showing your current average while you have a very low record.

A C student would have a better average if you average his first two tests and they are an A and a C. But if his next is a C and a D then his average will plummet in just the same amount of time.

My friend didnt seem to understand this when hed brag about his Legacy MPG on his trips to Vegas when he'd reset it right before hitting the freeway straights. My friend is an idiot. Don't be an idiot.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by usdmJON
The point they are making is you are not actually getting 30+ MPG. It is just showing your current average while you have a very low record.

A C student would have a better average if you average his first two tests and they are an A and a C. But if his next is a C and a D then his average will plummet in just the same amount of time.

My friend didnt seem to understand this when hed brag about his Legacy MPG on his trips to Vegas when he'd reset it right before hitting the freeway straights. My friend is an idiot. Don't be an idiot.
I get it sir.....for a moment imagine that (however difficult it may be) that the student continues to get A...hmmmm!!!!
I have already confirmed your example of averages. On my trip back home from VA to chicago...I averaged only 28mpg. It was 32 degrees outside and my speed was 75mph+ on that trip.
I will continue to report back either way this goes...so far a mix of city and freewayou driving in 40+ degree weather and with a gentle right foot has been very encouraging.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Wait until the temps get above 50 degrees. You should see a little bump up in mpg. I seem to have been getting around 28 mpg in mixed driving through this milder winter, but over the spring/summer/fall I frequently saw 32 mpg or more for a full tank (my best was 47+mpg for a 10-12 mile journey). I think my worst tank in 15+ months has been around 25 mpg. More than reasonable for a 4,400 lbs car with this kind of power availability.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Wait until the temps get above 50 degrees. You should see a little bump up in mpg. I seem to have been getting around 28 mpg in mixed driving through this milder winter, but over the spring/summer/fall I frequently saw 32 mpg or more for a full tank (my best was 47+mpg for a 10-12 mile journey). I think my worst tank in 15+ months has been around 25 mpg. More than reasonable for a 4,400 lbs car with this kind of power availability.
The hybrid powertrain has been an interesting experience thus far. Between 30-50mph and light throttle the programming seems to favor EV power if battery has close to half charge. So in the city by modulating the gas pedal from a stop and by strategically timing red lights I am able to get close to 40% EV mileage.

For me this is a new experience of gaining mileage in the city rather than losing it in traditional purely ICE powered cars. Also here is where I think the comparison between a regular RL/ RLX or any other ICE only car and the hybrid RLX or any hybrid is fundamentally flawed (with respect to mileage of course).
Now, having said all of the above, if I drive like I owned an oil well in the boonies the mileage plummets to the low-mid 20s.
So far I am liking it. The balance of available power and frugality is impressive. It almost has a split personality. And yes putting it in sport mode and engaging 1st gear manually brings out the sport in SH.
My performance comparison is the ghibli s q4(which I absolutely love and I am giving up for this car). That car is rated at 4.7s 0-60. It screams and buzzes and creates a lot of drama getting there. This doesn't feel that fast(obviously measured with my well calibrated buttometer) or maybe it is and may feel slower as it does so without the drama. The biggest difference that I obviously felt is the way power is delivered beyond that. The ghibli just keeps going with the power band being very wide and you can feel it. This car plateaus out earlier. It is plenty fast but you can tell it is not pulling as hard. The A7 is in between these 2 cars. The SH can definitely hang with the A7 in terms of creature comfort, ride quality and performance(with a slight edge in favor of the A7)
At this point if I had any complaints I would say that the suspension should be a little more sorted out and more refined. An option of air suspension with adjustable setting should be on the next iteration.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rick sambora
The hybrid powertrain has been an interesting experience thus far. Between 30-50mph and light throttle the programming seems to favor EV power if battery has close to half charge. So in the city by modulating the gas pedal from a stop and by strategically timing red lights I am able to get close to 40% EV mileage.

For me this is a new experience of gaining mileage in the city rather than losing it in traditional purely ICE powered cars. Also here is where I think the comparison between a regular RL/ RLX or any other ICE only car and the hybrid RLX or any hybrid is fundamentally flawed (with respect to mileage of course).
Now, having said all of the above, if I drive like I owned an oil well in the boonies the mileage plummets to the low-mid 20s.
So far I am liking it. The balance of available power and frugality is impressive. It almost has a split personality. And yes putting it in sport mode and engaging 1st gear manually brings out the sport in SH.
My performance comparison is the ghibli s q4(which I absolutely love and I am giving up for this car). That car is rated at 4.7s 0-60. It screams and buzzes and creates a lot of drama getting there. This doesn't feel that fast(obviously measured with my well calibrated buttometer) or maybe it is and may feel slower as it does so without the drama. The biggest difference that I obviously felt is the way power is delivered beyond that. The ghibli just keeps going with the power band being very wide and you can feel it. This car plateaus out earlier. It is plenty fast but you can tell it is not pulling as hard. The A7 is in between these 2 cars. The SH can definitely hang with the A7 in terms of creature comfort, ride quality and performance(with a slight edge in favor of the A7)
At this point if I had any complaints I would say that the suspension should be a little more sorted out and more refined. An option of air suspension with adjustable setting should be on the next iteration.
I have been able to repeatedly see 0-60 runs in at 4.89 sec (+/-) .02 depending on traction limitations. Mid 13's at 106+ mph is also not slow in the 1/4 mile. Anyone can repeat those numbers in this car. Just make sure the EV charge is at least 50%, select sport mode, brake hold, and M1, then simply mash the gas and enjoy the ride. I have yet to find a situation where I was left wishing I had more thrust available. You will learn how to finesse the SH for more performance and mpg over time. There definitely is a technique to it and it is not readily apparent. Over time you will figure out how to ride the wonderful wave of torque that this car has available. Sometimes it is not easy to drive it limo smooth because it is so responsive. Even 15 months into ownership sometimes I see heads bobbing from the thrust when I am driving others in the car, and I am not trying to do it. You will see what I mean. Sometimes I wish for a more progressive throttle application for that reason. Just enjoy it and be safe.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:45 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
[QUOTE=rick]

At this point if I had any complaints I would say that the suspension should be a little more sorted out and more refined. An option of air suspension with adjustable setting should be on the next iteration.[/QUOTE/]

Rick -- you nailed the car right on the button. The car does have a split personality. It is both a quiet comfortable cruiser for long rides on the freeway and a tiger on a curvy road with lots of opportunities to test the acceleration and handling capabilities of the Sport Hybrid. It also has the added advantage of very good gas mileage for a 4,000+ lbs., 4 dr sedan. No one will confuse it with a real sports car but it is the most fun large sedan I have ever driven.

Thanks for your comments about the A7. I was going to test drive one until I drove the RLX SH. After my test drive, I forgot about the A7. I did end up with a A3 for the wife who loves it.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by rick sambora
Chicago suburban driving....
To convert the disbelievers, keep your B meter set on the lifetime mileage so that you can really impress people.

My car's over 30,000 miles and the lifetime is still 31.3 mpg.

Somebody reset the B meter so it's going to be hard for people to believe me now, since I only have like 7,000 miles on it.

:-)

I don't baby it, either.

They key is the kind of driving you're doing. In my case, I perform long commutes at 45 mph - 60 mph, with radar cruise handling much of it, and this allows EV mode for a greater percentage of time than people who dash back and forth at 80 mph. (It is hard to get EV mode above 54 mph.)
Old 03-08-2016, 09:14 AM
Instructor

So reporting back after 145 miles since fill up...morning trip today was 70 miles. State routes with long stretches of 45-55mph, freeway at 70mph (radar cruise) and then city driving with stop lights etc. Stopped for coffee and then 12 miles to the office from there. See the EV only miles 5.2/12.6...so far since fill up, with a mix of gentle drving and good weather prevailing, I am averaging 32.4mpg. Interesting that the range has not changed much and the fuel gauge is still >3/4rth tank.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Grandpa

5.2 miles in EV mode out of 12.6 is a very high ratio in EV mode.

If most of your driving is like that then you'll get higher MPG than the EPA says, by a significant margin.

But...is that ratio going to remain typical? :-)
Old 03-08-2016, 10:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by George Knighton
5.2 miles in EV mode out of 12.6 is a very high ratio in EV mode.

If most of your driving is like that then you'll get higher MPG than the EPA says, by a significant margin.

But...is that ratio going to remain typical? :-)
I sure hope it stays this way. But realistically speaking I am hypermiling at this point. Once the novelty wears off I will drive without paying much attention to it and may get a lower percentage.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
^^^ Then you will start driving with a very heavy foot to see what the other side of the car's personality will unveil, and your mileage will drop. Welcome and enjoy!
Old 03-09-2016, 01:17 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
To convert the disbelievers, keep your B meter set on the lifetime mileage so that you can really impress people.

My car's over 30,000 miles and the lifetime is still 31.3 mpg.

Somebody reset the B meter so it's going to be hard for people to believe me now, since I only have like 7,000 miles on it.
I do leave the B meter on to capture overall mileage but it automatically reset itself after 10,000 miles. I got 28.4 mpg for my first 10,0000 miles. Currently at 4,500 miles on my B meter with 28.6 mpg.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:39 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I do leave the B meter on to capture overall mileage but it automatically reset itself after 10,000 miles. I got 28.4 mpg for my first 10,0000 miles. Currently at 4,500 miles on my B meter with 28.6 mpg.

Mine doesn't reset until some moron resets it manually and accidentally.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts

Mine doesn't reset until some moron resets it manually and accidentally.
I don't think Malibu's reset either......i think it only goes to 9,999 and then it goes back to 0, but the average should just continue on (without reseting).
I could be wrong though......
Old 03-09-2016, 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

When I passed 20k I watched it on the B section and it did NOT go back to zero.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

I filled up this afternoon and experimented on how high I could see the mpg go in normal everyday trips locally and this is what I saw. Very unusual that it was this good, but it is warm so the heat is not on, the car was already warmed up, and these were short trips doing errands this evening. I would normally not drive this gently, but this is repeatable if you can be patent and very careful with the throttle. Now this is hyper mpg!

Old 03-10-2016, 06:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

When I went back to normal driving activities this morning, my mpg dropped back to 31.1 mpg for the tank, still remarkable in light of the performance opportunities available and the weight of the vehicle.