SH Hybrid pricing question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Do you guys buy 900 miles all test drives?

it sounds like this car is a demo but dealer is claiming its new and only had test drives. Close to 1000 miles only test drives? Is it possible this car had 50-100 test drives given the little interest in the car? I dont buy it. What do you guys think?
Old 05-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Dealership probably used it for joy riding. Local dealership to me is doing the very same thing.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
It is also possible the regional sales mgr, or someone else at the dealership, was enjoying the ride before putting it up for sale, still untitled and able to sell as new. A thousand miles is a lot of test driving. I certainly would only take that vehicle if deeply discounted.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Instructor

What do you guys consider deeply discounted

msrp for hybrid advance is 67k. They are offering 51k. What would be a reasonable expectation for a joyridden "new" car with 900 miles
Old 05-03-2017, 03:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by quartzinterior
msrp for hybrid advance is 67k. They are offering 51k. What would be a reasonable expectation for a joyridden "new" car with 900 miles
I am sure this will be met with disagreement, but deeply discounted to me in this case would be to start in the high 40's and would certainly not get above 50. After 900 miles, who knows where and what that ride has been through. And yes, I may be blowing this out of proportion, but I like to err on the side of caution.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Instructor

What do you guys consider deeply discounted

Old 05-03-2017, 05:16 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
Why not check the GPS data and trip history to see details on what kind of driving the car has endured?That would seem to be a step up from speculation. I would also check to see if a phone is paired to the Bluetooth. If so, might be an employee demo.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Kelly Blue Book isn't that accurate on niche cars, but states a 2016 SH Advanced with 1000 miles has a trade in value of $38K. To find the true value, you should ask your insurance agent what will be the payout if the car is totaled just after driving off of the lot.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Kbb cpo 16 hybrid advance with 1000 miles

High range From dealer is 46.7 k. No way they will offer that price.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

High range From dealer is 46.7 k. No way they will offer that price.
And their reasoning would be they have carried insurance, advertising, etc. on that car since it hit the lot. Those are the expenses they certainly want to recoup. Their only real incentive to move that car probably would come from corp Acura to get rid of new vehicle from the previous model year in favor of vehicles from the current model year. They can command monies closer to cost for the newer model year. Right now that car sitting on their lot is really costing them and they will have to get lucky to get what they want for it.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:11 PM
Racer

There have been quite a few used 16' SH's for sale these past few months and they ranged from $42,000 to $49,000.. Heck there is one with 9,000 miles for $43000 forsale and it has been forsale since January. Given that the depreciation of this car, in two years it will be worth a lot less. 2014 SH's are selling for $29k-$33k even with low miles. So myself personally I would not pay $52,000 when in 2 years it will be worth maybe $35k-$40k. I am not taking that big of a hit. Trade in is even lower as the dealerships always try to stick it to you. From watching the sales of the SH's KBB has been pretty on the mark
Old 05-04-2017, 12:51 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by wilspainar
There have been quite a few used 16' SH's for sale these past few months and they ranged from $42,000 to $49,000.. Heck there is one with 9,000 miles for $43000 forsale and it has been forsale since January. Given that the depreciation of this car, in two years it will be worth a lot less. 2014 SH's are selling for $29k-$33k even with low miles. So myself personally I would not pay $52,000 when in 2 years it will be worth maybe $35k-$40k. I am not taking that big of a hit. Trade in is even lower as the dealerships always try to stick it to you. From watching the sales of the SH's KBB has been pretty on the mark
The reality is that all cars (and especially higher priced luxury cars) suffer from painful depreciation in the first few years. Therein lies the individual value proposition only you can answer - do you want to pay a premium for a new vehicle or look long and hard to find a lightly used vehicle that meets your quality standards and save some money in the process? The second option, on a low production model like the SH, typically means settling on exterior/interior colour choice as inventory is scarce.

That said, depreciation on an Acura 'should' level off after a few years and retain it's remaining value well. With respect to the SH, I think there is enough of a following of true Acura people who understand the underlying value in the car - so I personally think the SH will perform well on retaining a respectable long term value.
The following 3 users liked this post by Limelight:
hondamore (05-04-2017), moose66 (05-04-2017), pgeorg (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Racer

The SH is suffering from the depreciation just as much as the PWS models. There is a 14' SH in Chicago forsale for $29k and a month before there were two that sold for $30k. I don't mind waiting for my color choice because I am not going to settle as I do plan on keeping a SH for a long time. Other people my be inclined to deal with that much of a lost but after doing it on two brand new cars in my lifetime and losing $10k on each I will never do that again.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:18 PM
Instructor

My last 3 cars have been new. 2008 tl bought april 09
2012 mdx advance bought august of 13
2016 s550 leased December 2016
I would rather pay 5k extra and get a new car vs lightly used if it was a much larget difference I could go for a lightly used one. I dont like getting first model year car and 2015 didnt have hybrid.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by moose66
And their reasoning would be they have carried insurance, advertising, etc. on that car since it hit the lot. Those are the expenses they certainly want to recoup. Their only real incentive to move that car probably would come from corp Acura to get rid of new vehicle from the previous model year in favor of vehicles from the current model year. They can command monies closer to cost for the newer model year. Right now that car sitting on their lot is really costing them and they will have to get lucky to get what they want for it.
so can they offer a better deal on a 2016 or 2017?
Old 05-04-2017, 07:16 PM
Instructor

confirmed the dealership owner drove the car for a while

2016 rlx hybrid advance, The car has 900 miles. They say the first 1000 miles are crucial for breaking the car in. Not sure how valid that is. I don't know what to do? 51k for a joyridden car that is closer or 51k for one that is much further but only 100 miles
Old 05-04-2017, 11:50 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
As others have mentioned, one of the prices of driving a new luxury car is above-average depreciation in the first few years. Go price a 2 or 3 year old German car to see what depreciation looks like.

In my humble opinion, the only financially prudent way to own (as opposed to leasing) a new luxury car is to buy it and hold it for a good number of years. Otherwise, you're going to spend a lot of money on cars. My .02.
The following 4 users liked this post by JM2010 SH-AWD:
hondamore (05-04-2017), Limelight (05-05-2017), pgeorg (05-05-2017), Scott in AZ (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 12:03 AM
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts
My opinion : $51K for 900 miles on an untitled SH is a freakin' steal. Heck, at that price you can buy an Acura $2500, 8-year, 120,000 mile warranty...and a new mountain bike ... and still be less that I paid for mine bought new in December.

Nobody in their right mind "joy rides" a fifty grand car they don't own. I would have zero problem with this aspect of an untitled higher mileage car.

Change the oil and who cares about the depreciation? Drive it till 2025 with zero repair costs.

Last edited by Scott in AZ; 05-05-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:15 AM
Instructor

What you are saying makes sense

Originally Posted by Scott in AZ
My opinion : $51K for 900 miles on an untitled SH is a freakin' steal. Heck, at that price you can buy an Acura $2500, 8-year, 120,000 mile warranty...and a new mountain bike ... and still be less that I paid for mine bought new in December.

Nobody in their right mind "joy rides" a fifty grand car they don't own. I would have zero problem with this aspect of an untitled higher mileage car.

Change the oil and who cares about the depreciation? Drive it till 2025 with zero repair costs.
But when I sit in that car i dont feel its new because a snobby owner drove the hell out of it on joyrides. Unless I can get it at 48.7 k where another az member got a "new"1000k sh hybrid advance for, I wont be happy. I consider 900 miles of joyrides as lightly used not new.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
As others have mentioned, one of the prices of driving a new luxury car is above-average depreciation in the first few years. Go price a 2 or 3 year old German car to see what depreciation looks like.

In my humble opinion, the only financially prudent way to own (as opposed to leasing) a new luxury car is to buy it and hold it for a good number of years. Otherwise, you're going to spend a lot of money on cars. My .02.
i have had my 08 tl for 8 yrs. my 12 mdx advance 4 yrs so far with many more to cone. I plan on keeping the rlx for many years
Old 05-05-2017, 12:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
^^I was just thinking the exact same thing. I choose to keep my cars for 10 years or so, then the miniscule depreciation in the latter years more than makes up for the instant drop of the early years (somewhat tempered by the fact that I wait to buy until I can get a good deal price). I have to add that Acura's reliability has made this choice much easier since I have had very, very little in post-warranty servicing to pay for over the years (knock on wood). Furthermore, the desirability/cult following of the Rare Acura models usually helps when it comes to selling or trading in at the end of the decade of driving pleasure and I am usually surprised by my car's value at the 10 year mark.

Of course, not everyone can stand to wait that long before getting the "new car itch" and taking the plunge into another rapidly depreciating indulgence. Neither choice is right and neither is wrong - whatever you prefer to make your priorities in life is your choice and therefore the best choice for you.

The RLX Sport Hybrid for anywhere near $50K is a great deal for a great car, even if the sales manager took it for a few drives hear and there.

Just my two cents.
The following users liked this post:
JM2010 SH-AWD (05-07-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 06:58 AM
Racer

It is subjective at what you find a great deal to be. The RLX has the best made J series motor so far, excluding the new NSX, which has my interest being a Honda guy. Being that the 17's are out I am not paying anything over $45k for a 16' since I plan on keeping it for 10+ years and knowing how they are selling across the country. All I really care about is the Hybrid system of this car, the advanced package is just a bonus for me. My color that I am looking for still has been out these last 5 months but I am patient I will wait until on pops up.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:12 AM
Pro

But when I sit in that car i dont feel its new because a snobby owner drove the hell out of it on joyrides. Unless I can get it at 48.7 k where another az member got a "new"1000k sh hybrid advance for, I wont be happy. I consider 900 miles of joyrides as lightly used not new.
With all due respect, I think you are misguided in your comparator of paying $48,700 for a 2016 SH Advance with 1,000miles on it. I assume you are referring to the user MQS1 who according to the New Owner section, purchased his vehicle as an "untitled new Acura test car". If you want to talk about joyrides, from what I understand, he described that vehicle as being used by Acura on a high speed track to test it's handling abilities. Not that I think that drastically diminished the car's value, but I can see why it would be priced aggressively.

That said, I don't think you're comparing an apple to an apple if you're seeking comparable pricing for a car with similar mileage which was driven by the owner of the dealership vs. driven aggressively around a high speed testing facility by the manufacturer prior to sale. Did the owner ever open it up at a street light or on the highway onramp? Damn right he did. But I do that every morning in mine, and I don't think that is jeopardizing the quality or value of my car... that's what it was designed to do, hence the word "Sport" prior to Hybrid.

IMHO, I think you're focusing way too much on a 'snobby owner driving the hell out of it on joyrides'. As a rule, executives while driving are largely thinking about everything they have to do in their day, not on playing around with their loaner car. Especially in this car, I find I enjoy maximizing my EV mileage just as much as driving it hard.

At the end of the day, you have to be happy with your purchase. But I have a feeling you're seeking a quixotic ideal.
The following 3 users liked this post by Limelight:
hondamore (05-05-2017), moose66 (05-05-2017), pgeorg (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 08:37 AM
Instructor

I love this forum

Getting a new car provides a certain satisfaction that to me is worth the extra money. I always look for bargains so I get nice cars that are heavily discounted. I consider 900 miles lightly used not new. And can live with it if I get a discount over a new price. I have offers for 50 k from other dealerships with only 100-200 miles brand new. Why should I pay 1000 more for an owner joyridden car.? I am not in a hurry. 2018s will come out soon and 2017s will be offered at the same prices that 2016s are had for. Am I wrong to expect the owner to give me a discount for his pleasure of driving my car around?
Originally Posted by Limelight
With all due respect, I think you are misguided in your comparator of paying $48,700 for a 2016 SH Advance with 1,000miles on it. I assume you are referring to the user MQS1 who according to the New Owner section, purchased his vehicle as an "untitled new Acura test car". If you want to talk about joyrides, from what I understand, he described that vehicle as being used by Acura on a high speed track to test it's handling abilities. Not that I think that drastically diminished the car's value, but I can see why it would be priced aggressively.

That said, I don't think you're comparing an apple to an apple if you're seeking comparable pricing for a car with similar mileage which was driven by the owner of the dealership vs. driven aggressively around a high speed testing facility by the manufacturer prior to sale. Did the owner ever open it up at a street light or on the highway onramp? Damn right he did. But I do that every morning in mine, and I don't think that is jeopardizing the quality or value of my car... that's what it was designed to do, hence the word "Sport" prior to Hybrid.

IMHO, I think you're focusing way too much on a 'snobby owner driving the hell out of it on joyrides'. As a rule, executives while driving are largely thinking about everything they have to do in their day, not on playing around with their loaner car. Especially in this car, I find I enjoy maximizing my EV mileage just as much as driving it hard.

At the end of the day, you have to be happy with your purchase. But I have a feeling you're seeking a quixotic ideal.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 08:55 AM
Pro

Getting a new car provides a certain satisfaction that to me is worth the extra money. I always look for bargains so I get nice cars that are heavily discounted. I consider 900 miles lightly used not new. And can live with it if I get a discount over a new price. I have offers for 50 k from other dealerships with only 100-200 miles brand new. Why should I pay 1000 more for an owner joyridden car.? I am not in a hurry. 2018s will come out soon and 2017s will be offered at the same prices that 2016s are had for. Am I wrong to expect the owner to give me a discount for his pleasure of driving my car around?
I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, but no one here can answer the questions you're asking. You have to be happy with what you pay for your car. Waiting for a new model year will discount the price of the current model year - this is not a foreign concept, but the key word in that sentence is 'waiting'. If you're OK to wait, then that's your answer.

I too agree that 900 miles is lightly used (very lightly used I would add) - but we can carve this pie a thousand different ways. Do you buy new? Do you buy lightly used? Do you wait for another year to find a lower price on a 2016? Is it a good deal? We can't answer that question for you.

You are not wrong to ask the owner to discount the price of his vehicle - but you have to understand he is equally not wrong not to sell it to you for what you are willing to pay.

Just yesterday I had my car in for service at the dealership. At the time I was looking to buy, I test drove one of their lightly used demo SH's but ultimately purchased mine from another dealer, as they weren't prepared to offer further discounting. The Sales Manager recognized me and asked if the white SH in the shop was mine - to which I answered yes. He looked surprised and taken aback (I got the feeling he thought I was just throwing out that there was another SH I was considering simply as a bargaining ploy). I replied in jest saying I noticed he still had the 2016 sitting on his lot and perhaps he should have offered me a better deal to move it.

Moral of the story - you win some and you lose some (both as purchasers and as sellers). Ultimately, you win as a purchaser when you are thrilled with the vehicle and the value you got for what you paid. But asking strangers on a forum questions on price is like asking if they think your wife is pretty. At the end of the day, that should only matter to you.
The following 4 users liked this post by Limelight:
moose66 (05-05-2017), pgeorg (05-05-2017), Scott in AZ (05-05-2017), wilspainar (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Am I wrong to think $51k is a reasonable deal on an Advance SH with 900 miles? Were it me, I'd start in the upper 40's and meet somewhere in the middle. You'd probably end up at $50k. Compared to my lease deal when the car was first released, with the cap cost a few hundred off MSRP of 66k, you are getting a great deal.

Again, I am SO glad I leased this time. Incredibly glad I leased. If I procure another SH, and can get anywhere near $50k, I would consider purchasing at that price.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
JM2010 SH-AWD (05-07-2017), pgeorg (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 10:00 AM
Instructor

I believe in collective wisdom. It helps to get other members opinions. Given it is a slow moving car that plays in my favor. So waiting is safe as there are several of these in my preferred colors nationwide. I also plan on buying an extended warranty and possibly maintenance plan if I can get an even sweeter deal.
Originally Posted by Limelight
I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, but no one here can answer the questions you're asking. You have to be happy with what you pay for your car. Waiting for a new model year will discount the price of the current model year - this is not a foreign concept, but the key word in that sentence is 'waiting'. If you're OK to wait, then that's your answer.

I too agree that 900 miles is lightly used (very lightly used I would add) - but we can carve this pie a thousand different ways. Do you buy new? Do you buy lightly used? Do you wait for another year to find a lower price on a 2016? Is it a good deal? We can't answer that question for you.

You are not wrong to ask the owner to discount the price of his vehicle - but you have to understand he is equally not wrong not to sell it to you for what you are willing to pay.

Just yesterday I had my car in for service at the dealership. At the time I was looking to buy, I test drove one of their lightly used demo SH's but ultimately purchased mine from another dealer, as they weren't prepared to offer further discounting. The Sales Manager recognized me and asked if the white SH in the shop was mine - to which I answered yes. He looked surprised and taken aback (I got the feeling he thought I was just throwing out that there was another SH I was considering simply as a bargaining ploy). I replied in jest saying I noticed he still had the 2016 sitting on his lot and perhaps he should have offered me a better deal to move it.

Moral of the story - you win some and you lose some (both as purchasers and as sellers). Ultimately, you win as a purchaser when you are thrilled with the vehicle and the value you got for what you paid. But asking strangers on a forum questions on price is like asking if they think your wife is pretty. At the end of the day, that should only matter to you.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I would pay $55k and not think twice. $50k is a ridiculous price. Super cheap price.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Instructor

2017 pricing

Anyone have any info on 2017 rlx hybrid advance pricing incentives holdback? There are no financing deals on 2016s so I am comparing 2017 vs 2016 to see what deals have been had for 2017s thx.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:11 PM
Racer

I don't think the 2017's have any incentives at all, and getting one for less then $60k I have not seen anyone selling yet.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

I just did a quick price quote on Consumer Reports and it came back at a little over $62K with no incentives for the '17 SH w/Advance package for the NC area. Which according to the info, was slightly below invoice.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Thx guys

2016 it is. Waiting to see what rates I can get from acura financial before checking other banks
Old 05-11-2017, 06:34 PM
Instructor

Dealership wont budge

51.5k for the lightly used demo. I am looking at other options either buying from east coast and shipping it or waiting
Old 05-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I just purchased my "lightly used demo" (2016 SH Advance w/325 miles) for $51,995. I have had the car for a little over 2 weeks now, and hands down, this is the best car I have owned to date. I am averaging 28.5 mpg on my current tank - have seen 33MPG when I got caught in horrible town traffic (yes HORRIBLE) and then a 20 mile highway jaunt. Did I mention the FUN mode - oops - I mean the Sport Mode Bottom line (IMHO) is you won't regret purchasing the demo - I surely do not.
The following 3 users liked this post by Krlesch:
hondamore (05-11-2017), pgeorg (05-12-2017), wilspainar (05-14-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 09:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
51.5k for the lightly used demo. I am looking at other options either buying from east coast and shipping it or waiting
I'd go for it.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Thumbs up It's still going strong after 6 month

Originally Posted by Krlesch
I just purchased my "lightly used demo" (2016 SH Advance w/325 miles) for $51,995. I have had the car for a little over 2 weeks now, and hands down, this is the best car I have owned to date. I am averaging 28.5 mpg on my current tank - have seen 33MPG when I got caught in horrible town traffic (yes HORRIBLE) and then a 20 mile highway jaunt. Did I mention the FUN mode - oops - I mean the Sport Mode Bottom line (IMHO) is you won't regret purchasing the demo - I surely do not.
That sounds about right. Got mine for about the same (few hundred bones less) with 40 miles on it (part of it was my test drive:P) this past Thxgiving.... they really made me a deal I can't refuse:P Great deal on the ride my friend You'll def. enjoy the ride.... I do after 6 month and there is no diminishing enjoyment... WOW
Old 05-13-2017, 09:53 PM
Instructor

I found a 2017 rlx sport hybrid advance

Lightly used corporate car. Less than 1000 miles for 48kish. Owner of a dealer close to me said it is coming in a week. White on black. I am so excited guys and its a 2017 not a 2016 even though both cars are identical. He is selling it as cpo which gives me an extra year of warranty.
How does extended warranty work on cpo cars? Hiw much to extend it to max 8/120k from 5/60k. The powertrain automatically has 7/100000 mile warranty on cpo. What do u guys suggest? Is it worth getting 8yr/120k and for how much? Thx in advance.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:42 PM
Instructor

Just saw a black rlx hybrid parked at the mall

It had gs warriors flags on it. It was nice and clean. I can not wait until I get mine.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:45 AM
Instructor

Saw another one

just saw another black rlx sport hybrid. I can not believe I saw two in 3 days. I want one.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:44 AM
Racer

Today a local dealer offered me $530 a month for a lease on a new RLX tech. That sounds like pretty good deal but it's not any different then what I already own other then now Techs have lane keep assist, I asked what if I wanted a SH since it is only $5k more on the MSRP. If it's not much more I might get one. Has anyone had a lease that low?