Sayama plant closing

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2022 | 09:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Sayama plant closing

The plant our RLXs were built in is closing as Honda pivots toward EV production.

https://paultan.org/2022/02/07/honda...a5djjF94qg2znA

Originally Posted by Gerard Lye
Honda previously announced that it would make the shift to electric vehicles by 2040, but this transition will not be without some significant restructuring.

According to a report by Nikkei, the Japanese carmaker has halted production of finished cars at its Sayama plant located in the Saitama Prefacture, with a “line-off” ceremony being held at the facility last December to mark the occasion. The move is part of other cost-cutting initiatives announced last year, including the adoption of a new vehicle development system as well as ending its Formula 1 racing programme.

“Like you, I will miss it all,” said Honda president and CEO Toshihiro Mibe at the event. “We will continue making automobiles that meet the needs of consumers at home and abroad,” he added. The Sayama plant first began operations in 1964 and produced key models that defined the company, including the Civic and Accord.

Up until produced ended, the facility made the Step WGN, Odyssey, Legend as well as the discontinued Jade and Clarity. The plant could churn out 250,000 cars a year, contributing to a domestic production capacity of around one million cars annually (until the end of 2021) – this includes production from its Yorii (Saitama Prefacture) and Suzuka (Mie Prefacture) plants.

While no new cars will roll off its production line, the plant will remain open to make vehicle parts, although a total shutdown is slated to take place within the next two to three years. Its operations will be then transferred to Honda’s Yorii plant, which will absorb many of the workers from the Sayama plant.

The restructuring has resulted in a reduction in Honda’s domestic capacity to 800,000 vehicles annually from its current Yorii, Suzuka and Honda Auto Body (Mie Prefacture) plants. The figure is about 40% less than in the early 2000s when Honda could output more than 1.3 million cars annually.

Compared to other brands like Toyota and Nissan, both of which have significantly higher domestic production figures, Honda’s capacity is small by comparison. However, there’s a reason for this, as the Japanese market makes up a smaller share of Honda’s global sales compared to its competitors.

In financial year 2018, Honda sold 740,000 vehicles in Japan, or 14% of its global sales. Toyota’s domestic sales of 2.29 million vehicles accounted for 22% of its global total. In contrast, Honda sold 1.61 million vehicles in the United States market, or 30% of its overall sales, and 1.46 million cars in China, or 28%. The higher proportion of overseas sales means Honda has a more globalised production system – the Accord sold in Japan comes from Thailand, for instance.

Given the significance of the US and China markets, which are leaning heavily into EVs, the adjustment of Honda’s production sites is to fulfill its electrification goal. The Yorii plant already produces the Honda e – the company’s first mass-market EV – and Honda has plans to set up dedicated EV plants in US and China.

This transition will likely have an impact on the company’s financials, as global capacity is expected to fall to 5.14 million vehicles in financial year 2021 (ending March 31, 2022) from 5.59 million vehicles in financial year 2020. The closure of its United Kingdom and Turkey plants will have an impact on the final figure, and along with other issues (the pandemic and semiconductor chip shortage), will also affect profitability.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
CadiGTi (02-16-2022), hondamore (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022 | 07:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Depending on how many parts will be on the backstock, I would not be surprised if at some point they simply start offering manufacturer trade-in deals to get our cars off our hands and avoid parts headaches, backorders, etc.
Certainly, reliability will play it's part in it, but just hope we are not left out in the cold on parts support... it is nuts for RLX SH as it is to wait for parts months...
Old 02-16-2022 | 08:40 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Future parts availability is a concern for me putting high miles on my RLX. I doubt I will keep it past the 120k mile extended warranty which will be 4 years for me. The RLX will not be the only car that may have future parts issues. There are several sedans now produced in very low volumes. The Cadillac CT5, in particular the Blackwing, and Chevy Camaro’s are good examples. I would love to buy a car like a ZL1 Camaro, and may in the next year, but future parts supply anxiety will always be a big concern. Even getting proper replacement tires for some cars has become an issue with the proliferation of sizes and engineering specs and now tire manufacturer’s beginning to engineer tires specifically for EV cars.

Old 02-16-2022 | 02:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if the jump to pure electric is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction from the automakers as I'm not sure the infrastructure is in place, nor the consumer demand, nor the battery availability necessary for the automotive world to become all electric. People might have a different view of things when they have to wait several hours to charge up when on the road, or watch their battery gauge dropping rapidly in cold weather. I also wonder what the plan is for billions of old used batteries.

I could be in the minority, but I liked Honda/Acura's move toward hydrogen fuel cell vehicles as a green alternative to fossil fuel burners. Clean, familiar usage, and as abundant a fuel source as we can have.

Just my two cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
CadiGTi (02-17-2022), neuronbob (02-16-2022)
Old 02-17-2022 | 08:21 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

I am by far no expert on EV's. I see a lot of them around me and have several friends with them living in metro DC with a relatively young and affluent eco minded population. I am becoming a bit of a dinosaur. I still want a real gas powered engine under my hood and still love stick shift cars and plan to continue to always own 1 stick shift car. 3 years ago Tesla lent me a Model S sedan for a few days. I was impressed with the vehicle, but not for me. The entire driving experience was too sanitized and sterile (although the car handled fine). I too thought hydrogen fuel cell would be the answer. But I have read a few articles on it that said it is costly to transport hydrogen properly and the infrastructure required to make it feasible would be cost prohibitive. EV makers are also taking advantage of current government that is very EV friendly and perhaps that is why they are racing to make this happen asap? I have to wonder if EV makers are also relying on advances in battery technology that would mitigate drain on power grid? Just my 2 cents.
My dad who is 82 and real car guy last spring traded in his 2014 Merc CLS550 twin turbo V8 for a new 2021 Merc E450 straight 6 with a mild 48V hybrid system. I asked him what he missed most from going from a twin turbo V8 to a straight 6. His answer "the glorious sounds of the exhaust roar coming from a V8".
The following 2 users liked this post by CadiGTi:
hondamore (02-17-2022), rlx015 (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022 | 02:31 AM
Burning Brakes

To make millions people adopt EVs over gas engine cars it will be fairly simple strategy they need to enforce: one of them being, no more parts for "discontinued" (gas-powered) models... Another could be government tax breaks, or rebates "if you trade your vehicle, blah blah..." and another of course can be "you pay more expensive registration if you want gas-powered car..." they will have ton of these ways to enforce EV conversions... but I just think there is no way they could do that easily - maybe in the next 30 years, just because of the charging infrastructure... current puppet in the oval office is ignoring Tesla (which has biggest charging infrastructure), but his administration is all "about going green..." yeah, sure, if he says so...
Old 02-20-2022 | 07:19 AM
mrgold35

The only way to get people to transition to "Green Tech" and "renewable" is make is cheaper and more accessible than carbon based fuels and current infrastructure systems. If you offer a $5000 government rebate on EVs and Plug-ins, the car manufactures are just going to raise their prices $5000. The major fossil fuel distributors have zero reasons to transition to renewable because it will cost them billions to upgrade compared to the fossil fuel infrastructures already in place (pipeline, truck, train, refineries, ocean tankers, land/ocean drilling platforms). If we went 50% - 85% green renewable too fast what will happen to all that fossil fuel hardware and the job loss would be enormous. Cars are only around 20% of the global warming problem. What about the other 80% with power plants, manufacturing process, land/sea/air transportation, roads, fertilizers, etc...

Doesn't matter if a "D" or "R" is in the Oval office because we can't get this done because of oil lobbyist and oil rich states fighting against the transition. The best the government can do now is provide incentives down to states, local/global companies, local governments, and individuals that want to transition and hopefully make it cheaper to do so. The government can't make Mobil put a Level II/III chargers in every gas station. We wouldn't need that if you have level I/II/III charging capabilities at every parking spot at home, work, shopping, school, or traveling.

Even bio-fuels leans more towards renewable compared to out the ground fossil fuels. You just have to ensure you take fossil fuels out of the process and replace with renewable energy in the making of bio-fuels.