Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
RLX suspension walkaround by Edmunds

Nice and informative article on Edmunds:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...alkaround.html
The following 2 users liked this post by ostrich:
hondamore (05-06-2013), seanlin (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Dont know much stuffs in these pictures. Can't really tell good or bad.

Anyone can come up with a good summary?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Haha, Well, whole books and papers have been written about suspension design. However, in the broadest terms, a double wishbone suspension system is superior to a McPherson strut suspension system. a double wishbone suspension system uses two sets of control arms (the wishbones) to locate the wheel in its proper relationship to the road. Because there are upper and lower control arms the wheel is better able to move up and down through its suspension travel without changing the angle that the tire face touches the pavement. An additional benefit of this type of design is that the coil spring and shock absorber are relieved of the location duties.

With a McPherson strut, there is one set of control arms at the bottom of the wheel hub but the stress performs the duties of an upper control arm as well as spring and shock absorbing duties. The article is pointing out that the RLX uses a wishbone design and the Accord uses a McPherson strut design.

Other things that are noteworthy. It appears as if there is a good deal of aluminum in the suspension. This should help reduce unsprung weight for better performance. They also noticed that the engine/transmission cradle is made of aluminum as well. This is not new, the TL, RL also shared this trait and have since 2004 (at least).

On the downside they discuss the move to a simpler front braking system than previously. I also noticed that the edges of the disc brake rotor or rusting? I thought this was something Acura had solved by plating the edges. This is not a functional issue, but rather a cosmetic one.

Overall, it's a really good look under the car. I have some pictures (somewhere) of the previous generation RL underbody. If I can find them I'll post it for comparison.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colin:
GoHawks (05-06-2013), seanlin (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 09:15 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Haha, Well, whole books and papers have been written about suspension design. However, in the broadest terms, a double wishbone suspension system is superior to a McPherson strut suspension system. a double wishbone suspension system uses two sets of control arms (the wishbones) to locate the wheel in its proper relationship to the road. Because there are upper and lower control arms the wheel is better able to move up and down through its suspension travel without changing the angle that the tire face touches the pavement. An additional benefit of this type of design is that the coil spring and shock absorber are relieved of the location duties.

With a McPherson strut, there is one set of control arms at the bottom of the wheel hub but the stress performs the duties of an upper control arm as well as spring and shock absorbing duties. The article is pointing out that the RLX uses a wishbone design and the Accord uses a McPherson strut design.

Other things that are noteworthy. It appears as if there is a good deal of aluminum in the suspension. This should help reduce unsprung weight for better performance. They also noticed that the engine/transmission cradle is made of aluminum as well. This is not new, the TL, RL also shared this trait and have since 2004 (at least).

On the downside they discuss the move to a simpler front braking system than previously. I also noticed that the edges of the disc brake rotor or rusting? I thought this was something Acura had solved by plating the edges. This is not a functional issue, but rather a cosmetic one.

Overall, it's a really good look under the car. I have some pictures (somewhere) of the previous generation RL underbody. If I can find them I'll post it for comparison.
Double wishbone

This was a good underbody video of the previous gen RL.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=452729
Old 05-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
A good article to read for all of those who keep spouting off the "RLX is nothing more than a fancy Accord" and the "shared platforms means it's really the same car underneath" rubbish.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
The RLX has 2.9 inch more wheelbase than the Accord -- good for those who want a more comfortable ride.

The article also describes the front brakes, with a racy logo plate, as "jewelry." It's really a single piston sliding caliper, but hey, the RLX needs more "wow" factor. So to my eyes, this is a good thing.

Most interesting is the double wishbone suspension with dual ball joints. In general, anything over 200hp in a FWD car generates torque steer... unless there's something fancy in the suspension. This setup is how Acura tames the 300+ horses that go to the front wheels.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
A good article to read for all of those who keep spouting off the "RLX is nothing more than a fancy Accord" and the "shared platforms means it's really the same car underneath" rubbish.
Agreed, but I have a feeling those folks won't bother to read it. Facts often get in the way of a good, forcefully-announced opinion.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
awesome article...hopping the next TLX will come with double wishbone rather than mac's.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^^ Don't get your hopes up...my gut feeling says that it will not be a DWS....
Old 05-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I would be shocked if TLX were DWS as it will be based on Accord and thus leverage that parts bin.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the TLX shares the same suspension geometry as the Accord, macpherson!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by silver3.5
I wouldn't be surprised if the TLX shares the same suspension geometry as the Accord, macpherson!
That's probably true. But there is room to maintain hope for DWBs. Remember that these 'platforms' are actually three individual pieces with the front and rear subframes mounted to a central piece. Since the TL will surely use a cast aluminum front sub-frame vs. the Accords (I'm assuming) stamped steel, they could plan for DWB if they felt it would garner enough additional sales to offset an assumed increase in cost for DWB.