RLX to be discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 06:01 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,186 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
Long story short, the RLX SH seems quite good but it's not undeniably "the best vehicle that Acura has ever produced".
I would put the hybrid powertrain in the top 5 or even the top 3 power-plants Acura has produced depending if you include 1st/2nd gen NSX or not.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
^^^^^^ If we talk purely powertrain, I'd line up behind you on that statement.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
It's really hard to make a comparison between all of these past car generations and come up with the "best engineered" or "best performing" or whatever. Too many apples/oranges comparisons due to technology and engineering changes through that era. Having gone thru a 90/91 Integra to a 93 Legend, at that point the Legend was the best I'd ever seen/driven. Then with our 96 RL it was good, but frankly too front-heavy and didn't hold a driving-candle to the Legend at that time. Then the wife got a '12 TL SH-AWD and while the luxury was much less than the Legend, the performance was dramatically better, and the build quality was comparable. Now with the '18 RLX SH, you get a mixed bag of what the best overall car is. Technology wise and fit/finish wise, the RLX is on top. But in handling/sportiness, the TL takes the top spot. In terms of a balance of performance/luxury, the Legend is still tough to beat. And in terms of back-road snappy handling performance, it's hard to beat the 91 Legend GS coupe the wife had.

In regards to the earlier question about an '18 RLX SH - we bought a CPO about a year ago with 1200 miles on it for $45k, which at the time was a great deal. I've seen that the RLX SH prices are holding steadier than I thought they would, and are getting harder and harder to find. So it may not be a bargain for while, as these are becoming more sought-after, especially after the '18 redesign...

andy
The following 2 users liked this post by andysinnh:
Midnight Mystery (03-10-2020), vtec_v6 (03-12-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 09:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Between the 2008 RL and 2016 RLX P-AWS that I own, I honestly enjoy driving the RL (which will be given to my son) more than the RLX - the RL seems more nimble on the corners than the big fat RLX which is more pronounced on the bouncier side. For comfort and quietness the RLX wins hands down though, not to mention the little goodies the RLX has like ACC and the surround camera. Seriously after driving the RLX for a while I've become dumber in parking because I rely on the surround camera all the time for forward/reverse parking. Sports mode power in the RLX is a bliss too - I wish the RL had it for that model year. However, I do not think the RLX is the best car Acura has ever produced - or otherwise it would've been selling like hot cakes, wouldn't it? The car is good as a niche, for us mainly.
The following users liked this post:
Midnight Mystery (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 03:53 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by andysinnh
It's really hard to make a comparison between all of these past car generations and come up with the "best engineered" or "best performing" or whatever. Too many apples/oranges comparisons due to technology and engineering changes through that era. Having gone thru a 90/91 Integra to a 93 Legend, at that point the Legend was the best I'd ever seen/driven. Then with our 96 RL it was good, but frankly too front-heavy and didn't hold a driving-candle to the Legend at that time. Then the wife got a '12 TL SH-AWD and while the luxury was much less than the Legend, the performance was dramatically better, and the build quality was comparable. Now with the '18 RLX SH, you get a mixed bag of what the best overall car is. Technology wise and fit/finish wise, the RLX is on top. But in handling/sportiness, the TL takes the top spot. In terms of a balance of performance/luxury, the Legend is still tough to beat. And in terms of back-road snappy handling performance, it's hard to beat the 91 Legend GS coupe the wife had.

In regards to the earlier question about an '18 RLX SH - we bought a CPO about a year ago with 1200 miles on it for $45k, which at the time was a great deal. I've seen that the RLX SH prices are holding steadier than I thought they would, and are getting harder and harder to find. So it may not be a bargain for while, as these are becoming more sought-after, especially after the '18 redesign...

andy
Awesome story, Andy...

Originally Posted by mrgold35
The best car my parent purchased at the time was a 1978 Honda Accord 2-dr hatch with 2-speed auto trans you had to shift yourself between 1st and 2nd gear (the very first sport shift probably). Only car I can remember growing up having in the family that was the most trouble free where we didn't need to fix the engine, trans, water pump, A/C, or brakes every several times a year. My dad accidentally killed it when he put leaded gas in it by mistake (the good ole' days of leaded gas and bias tires).
That made me laugh!
Old 04-24-2020, 01:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Unhappy Competitor Lexus GS

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...pecial-edition

The Infiniti Q70 was the 1st to be discontinued & now the Lexus GS. Unless I missed it, Acura has yet to announce the end of the RLX & with the pandemic going on this would be an ideal time it seems.

moose66 (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Every time I see this thread pop to the top, I get chill bumps. If and when they retire the RLX, they have to have the replacement ready to go. Whether it is another sedan, which has to truly be top notch, or a SH Hybrid Coupe! They've been teasing us long enough!
Old 04-24-2020, 10:36 PM
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
At this rate, Acura can take up the existing customers who wanted an Infiniti Q70 and Lexus GS with a new redesign. I remember reading an article or page where the next generation Honda Legend will debut or at least show itself by the end of this year. If they do, I genuinely hope there will be an Acura variant since it would be a great showcase vehicle for the next generation of Honda/Acura's autonomous driving features and makes most sense to debut them on a flagship sedan over a Type S TLX or MDX.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:31 AM
mrgold35

Acura is so conservative and reactive with pretty much every vehicle in its line-up. They usually wait to see what others are doing before incorporating the latest tech power, or luxury upgrades. I think that is the reason for the RLX lagging sales (other than the SUV craze) is because they are always playing catch-up several model years behind. Acura only gives you just enough to meet the current standards instead of setting the standards for other to follow.

I don't think the Acura folks talk to the Honda folks across the hallway (or the Japanese Honda folks are handicapping the USA Acura folks)? Honda seems to be on a new model, MMC, and refresh cycle 1-2 model years ahead of Acura? Even the Japanese Honda version of RLX/Legend has rear mounted digital climate controls buttons in arm rest with USB/extra storage/radio controls, trunk open/close button, the front passenger seat has 4-way buttons for the rear seat person to access (probably for executive chauffeur for more rear leg room).

Old 04-27-2020, 09:51 PM
6th Gear

Yeah the Japanese Honda Legend is pretty sweet in all honesty and they should have incorporated all the rear seat controls and power trunk into the RLX. Then it would make the car at least more appealing and competitive. They should have also incorporated the updated ODMD 2.0 to freshen up the infotainment interface and it would automatically add Android Auto and Apple Carplay so reviewers would stop complaining about the outdated infotainment.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jackie Leung:
moose66 (04-28-2020), mrgold35 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 09:13 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackie Leung
Yeah the Japanese Honda Legend is pretty sweet in all honesty and they should have incorporated all the rear seat controls and power trunk into the RLX. Then it would make the car at least more appealing and competitive. They should have also incorporated the updated ODMD 2.0 to freshen up the infotainment interface and it would automatically add Android Auto and Apple Carplay so reviewers would stop complaining about the outdated infotainment.
You'd think this would be a relatively easy change to make. It'd improve the KC2's viability considerably.

For whatever reason, they've resigned themselves to the loss that the KC2 represents. No idea why.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:47 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by George Knighton
You'd think this would be a relatively easy change to make. It'd improve the KC2's viability considerably.

For whatever reason, they've resigned themselves to the loss that the KC2 represents. No idea why.
Shame really, seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot for not implementing the JDM Legend features. When the new TLX gets released I could see how it would make the RLX more redundant suffice to say. If (I hope they do) they ever release an RLX successor, they will have to do more to be class competitive other than being "cheaper and having some equivalent technology to the Germans". Besides that they should consistently update the car rather than let it die on the vine; like they have with both the current gen RLX and 2nd gen RL. Granted it is a tall order due to today's car climate (aka everything has to be a bloody crossover or it won't sell) but it would be nice to see a flagship Acura that isn't just the NSX.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:46 PM
6th Gear

Looks like 2020 is the final year, no direct replacement. Pity, I've always love large Acura sedans. Let's hope the next TLX will somewhat fill in the gap.
https://www.motor1.com/news/423393/a...lx-sedan-dead/
Facebook Post
https://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1416171
mrgold35 (05-15-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
RLX is dead

2020 will be the final year of the RLX.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...tinued-killed/
Old 05-18-2020, 02:03 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Had to come see what the OG Acura Lovers like myself thought about this.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:40 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Barbecue Tech Tips
2020 will be the final year of the RLX.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...tinued-killed/
Well then I guess that makes me one of those stodgy old farts alluded to at the end of the article, but I gotta say I loved my '07 RL and can't wait for the next chance to drive my '18 RLX-SH.

Also can't wait to see what the next gen TLX will look like!!
Old 05-18-2020, 06:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Not that it matters, but I am not one who would call the the hybrid RLX a dull drive as suggested by the C@D writer. I like my spirited journeys in my RLX. Sure it isn't the flashiest buggy on the road. But it has many hidden talents. Sad to see it go. But I get it. New auto world we live in these days where the RLX didn't necessarily fit.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:44 AM
mrgold35

I'm pretty sure the RLX isn't dead forever. Acura just needs to adjust to the times, stop being so conservative/reactive, and provide a product people want to buy. The real crime is not making all of the RLX tech and styling available on lower Advance version like HUD, sport hybrid system, cool center arm rest function, larger cabin area with more leather than plastic trim, multi lens jewel eyed headlights, or Krell audio system. It didn't help the RLX when they left out Carplay, updated touchscreen, heated windshield, electronic dampers, real wood trim, and trunk auto close button with the MMC.

I really wished my 19 MDX hybrid had the HUD.

Last edited by mrgold35; 05-18-2020 at 08:48 AM.
hondamore (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 09:38 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
it still lives on as the Legend in Japan. just wont be importing it to America
Old 05-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Thing that always got me is why the use of fake wood?
​​​​​​
that's something you'd see if a 20k car. I guess the boomers buying the rlx couldn't tell the difference.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Given that Acura makes a stretched TLX-L for the Chinese market, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they just ended up bringing that over to the US and rebadging it as an RLX.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I just sold my 2014 RLX Advance and looking at buying a newer model RLX Sport Hybrid. How do you all think this will impact sale price on new and used models?
Old 05-19-2020, 01:42 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Considering Acura couldn't give them away before, I'd guess that the sales price won't change much at all.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:02 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by JasonT44
I just sold my 2014 RLX Advance and looking at buying a newer model RLX Sport Hybrid. How do you all think this will impact sale price on new and used models?
It is the lack of inventory and color combo choices that will hard to find depending if you are looking for new, used, or CPO. I had a hell of a time finding a CPO red/ebony +18 RLX sport hybrid last Nov/Dec time frame. I was only able to locate one near Sacramento and I live in Albuquerque. I did everything over the phone/email, flew out to CA for final paperwork, and drove the RLX back to New Mexico. It was worth the effort for the 2018 RLX hybrid with 7200 miles window tint, clear bra, all weather mats, and cargo tray at $22,000 lower than MSRP for a 2020 model.

I would have everything ready to purchase ASAP if you find one you really like or it might be months for another pops up.

Last edited by mrgold35; 05-19-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:15 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
I knew this would happen eventually given all the changes in the car industry and the low sales for the RLX. The Nissan Maxima will be joining that grave as well. It's odd how the Toyota Avalon can still survive in the Flagship full size sedan market.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrgold35
It is the lack of inventory and color combo choices that will hard to find depending if you are looking for new, used, or CPO. I had a hell of a time finding a CPO red/ebony +18 RLX sport hybrid last Nov/Dec time frame. I was only able to locate one near Sacramento and I live in Albuquerque. I did everything over the phone/email, flew out to CA for final paperwork, and drove the RLX back to New Mexico. It was worth the effort for the 2018 RLX hybrid with 7200 miles window tint, clear bra, all weather mats, and cargo tray at $22,000 lower than MSRP for a 2020 model.

I would have everything ready to purchase ASAP if you find one you really like or it might be months for another pops up.
Agree with all of this. I wasn't really looking for a newer RLX when I stumbled on a deal I couldn't refuse last December. I quickly unloaded my 2016 RLX SH Sport Hybrid to Carvana (probably could have made out better selling on my own, but it was all about timing) and purchased the 2019 I currently own. Was looking for the combo I got and pounced.
It is true, as many have said, Acura was having a hard time moving these vehicles for several reasons. For one, the price point compared to others in this class offered, didn't add up. To me, it was all about the visual. Visually the vehicle appears outdated with conservative inside and out. A stretched, slightly modified Accord is what my father once said. With that being said, what stands out to me is the hidden tech and pure drive-ability of the hybrid version. Drive one and you too should be able to look beyond some of the misses with the styling. This is talking purely about the hybrid. I have no idea about the standard SH model. If it were not for the hybrid version, I doubt I would have this car. By the way, I came to the hybrid Acura after owning two hybrid Lexus GS's. Another vehicle which is being retired.
The following 3 users liked this post by moose66:
andysinnh (05-20-2020), Kinuto (05-20-2020), mrgold35 (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 01:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I too sold my 2014 RLX Advance to Carvana. I thought it was interesting Carvana offered $3234 more than Carmax and $2,734 more than Vroom. With all the craziness going on these days, I hope to wait it out to see what deals may come. Given that my wife has her MDX and I don't drive to the office - I see no reason to pounce.

I'm not a fan of the 2018+ body style, but at a reasonable price, I could be convinced.

Outside of body style, is there any difference in 2016,2017 Sport Hybrid vs. 2018+?

moose66 (05-21-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 04:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

I loved the exclusivity of driving the RLX, ahh that exclusivity is wat finally did her in. Like someone else mentioned above, its a shame Acura didn't put the best of the best into their flagship sedan. I love my 18 Hybrid but wished it had android auto and the updated infotainment system found in the MDX. Using the same system that my 03 TL had so many years later is a major flaw in their judgement. I guess I will be holding on to this car for a while.
moose66 (05-21-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 08:58 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
I took my 2015 Sport Hybrid out for a spin today with the sunroof open as it was a beautiful sunny day and I wanted to get the system moving as it hasn’t been driven much lately.

Its deceiving quickness, comfortable ride, awesome stereo and luxury features still make for a nice drive after several years of ownership.

I’m ready for a change from Acura but can honestly say I’ve really enjoyed my Acura’s over the years - the only one that gave me some grief was my 2014 P-AWS RLX. I regret owing that one in hindsight.
The following 2 users liked this post by Limelight:
hondamore (05-21-2020), moose66 (05-21-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 10:24 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
I am fine with it discontinuing. I wanted mine partly because it is an Acura unicorn. Near 400 hp, shawd, hybrid 28+mpg, 0-60 mph in 4.8, and seating for 5 adults. It’s the quickest Acura behind the 2nd gen NSX.

Yes Acura should be shamed for their apathy on the tech screens. But the other features more than make up for it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they hold their value after a bit of time.
The following 3 users liked this post by mk5:
hondamore (05-20-2020), Limelight (05-21-2020), moose66 (05-21-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 11:00 PM
Instructor

I too sold my 2014 RLX Advance to Carvana. I thought it was interesting Carvana offered $3234 more than Carmax and $2,734 more than Vroom. With all the craziness going on these days, I hope to wait it out to see what deals may come. Given that my wife has her MDX and I don't drive to the office - I see no reason to pounce.

I'm not a fan of the 2018+ body style, but at a reasonable price, I could be convinced.

Outside of body style, is there any difference in 2016,2017 Sport Hybrid vs. 2018+?
https://www.karenradleyacura.com/blo...7-acura-rlx-2/
Old 05-21-2020, 07:01 AM
Burning Brakes

In additional to the items indicated in the link provided, there are a couple other things of note. Pretty much everything inside is the same when it comes to dash, infotainment, and overall layout. Still no CarPlay or Android Auto. This to me, and many others, is one of the real misses. If not upgrading to what the RDX has, they could have at least gone with what the Hybrid MDX has. My 2018 MDX hybrid still has the two screens, but does have CarPlay and Android. I didn't think it mattered much. But when I am being chauffeured around in the MDX by my wife, who uses it all the time, I see the value. The seats are a little different with different piping and headrests. Also the rear window shade automatically retracts when the car is put in reverse and then goes back up when the car is either put in park or is driven. You've already mentioned the sheet metal changes which does give the car a different look. The move to the new Acura grill was a big plus to me. Not the biggest fan of the '18+ hybrid wheels. But they do go well with my color combo, so i'll let them be. I also like the partial exposure of the tail pipes and the black trim used around the front and rear bumpers. I like a little chrome, so I am good with the use of chrome on this car. Some have said it is bit much.

I think the '18+ is supposed to get 1-2 MPG less than the '14-'17 version. I've seen numbers in my '19 that are pretty close to what I was getting in my '16. I don't go Sport too often. Only when I need to let a BMW know I too can play!

That pretty much sums it up. Let me know if you have anything specific that wasn't already pointed out.

Last edited by moose66; 05-21-2020 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:57 PM
mrgold35

Other than the exterior differences, I've noticed the seats are updated for the +18 RLX and they look a bit more substantial in construction compared to the previous models. The +18 RLX hybrid has a tiny bit smaller battery pack for a little bit more room in the trunk area. Not sure why the mpg ratings are lower for the +18 RLX hybrid compared to the previous version? The suspension on my 18 RLX feels more really soft and bouncy on the same roads compared to my 11 MDX Adv ADS in sport mode or 19 MDX in Sport/Sport+ modes (more lean, dive, and bounce).
Old 05-23-2020, 06:55 AM
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
The European brands that market in North America don't seem to have plans to ditch their sedans even though they have been introducing crossovers. How do they sell sedans here when the American and Japanese brands can't or won't?
Old 05-23-2020, 10:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim 2004
The European brands that market in North America don't seem to have plans to ditch their sedans even though they have been introducing crossovers. How do they sell sedans here when the American and Japanese brands can't or won't?
My take: people who buy Lexus and Acuras are more pragmatic about their purchase. We know that pound for pound, these cars aren't "as good" as the German counterparts when it comes to features, performance, "solidness", badge cachet, etc., but they are more reliable, cost less up front, retain their value better, have a lower cost of ownership, etc. We tend to buy with our brains, not with our hearts. However, that same pragmatism lends itself to the idea that you get more bang for the buck with a crossover. They're only marginally more expensive than their sedan counterparts, and these days fuel economy is only marginally worse, but you get much more utility and practicality out of it. A 3-box sedan is more of a luxury these days, as you tend to get more for your moneys worth with a crossover.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
We know the reason they killed the RLX in North America now - go watch the new 2021 TLX video...
In the video it's mentioned that the NEW 2021 TLX is the only vehicle in the lineup with the Double Wishbone Suspension setup. High use of aluminum and electronic brake distribution taken from the NSX, etc.

Funny how these things have existed in the RL & RLX platform for quite some time.

True, lack of sales and halo innovation had a bunch to do with it as well but you can see that the marketing of this "NEW" product pushed the RLX aside.

Looking forward to test driving the 2021 TLX's but the RL/RLX will always have a special place in my heart!

PS - Horribly scripted video and there's no way a professional looked over what the people were saying or how they were presenting their thoughts.

Last edited by theShaft; 05-29-2020 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typing too quickly
Old 05-29-2020, 12:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by theShaft
We know the reason they killed the RLX in North America now - go watch the new 2021 TLX video...
In the video it's mentioned that the NEW 2021 TLX is the only vehicle in the lineup with the Double Wishbone Suspension setup. High use of aluminum and electronic brake distribution taken from the NSX, etc.

Funny how these things have existed in the RL & RLX platform for quite some time.

True, lack of sales and halo innovation had a bunch to do with it as well but you can see that the marketing of this "NEW" product pushed the RLX aside.

Looking forward to test driving the 2021 TLX's but the RL/RLX will always have a special place in my heart!

PS - Horribly scripted video and there's no way a professional looked over what the people were saying or how they were presenting their thoughts.
If you match up the stats between the RLX and the new TLX LxWxH measurements, they are almost what the RLX is now. It is just slightly shorter, a little wider and a little lower to the ground. So it will be larger than the current gen TLX but just a little smaller than the RLX. Should sell well based on what I see so far.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
If you match up the stats between the RLX and the new TLX LxWxH measurements, they are almost what the RLX is now. It is just slightly shorter, a little wider and a little lower to the ground. So it will be larger than the current gen TLX but just a little smaller than the RLX. Should sell well based on what I see so far.
Sounds good . . . . . . .would love to see them do the TLX in a hybrid version.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:10 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Basically they brought back the 4th Gen TL size wise.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
I now struggling between finding a good deal on a 2018+ RLX-SH or waiting to learn more about the TLX Type-S, as my spidey-sense tells me it will be a SH drivetrain. That NSX-derived brake by wire system is there for a reason, full computer control of throttle and braking systems for seamless hybrid and SH-AWD performance.
The size of the new TLX is perfect for me, and visually, much more appealing than the RLX, and the interior of the new model is exactly what I want.

Quick Reply: RLX to be discontinued