RLX at Chicago Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 139 Posts
RLX at Chicago Auto Show

Sunglass Holder!! One thing i hate that the 2G RL does not have
The following 5 users liked this post by Carbon Legend:
CeEl (02-10-2013), ichi d (02-11-2013), jhr3uva90 (02-10-2013), MuGen7Modulo (03-02-2013), TSX69 (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
The more pictures I see of the RLX, the better it looks to me. I hope my 2005 RL can hold out a while longer so I can afford an RLX.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
This must be the RLX with the Krell Audio System that puts this car at $56,950. I really like that color.

Were you able to check out the Krell sound?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
Looks nice. Fantastic paint color and quality - look at all the metallic flakes in it. Will look beautiful out in the sun.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Burning Brakes

I was only able to listen to they local FM stations. It sounded great even tho i couldn't not roll up the windows to trap sound inside. I really liked the scroll wheel volume button on the steering wheel.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:36 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
The interior is impressive.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
The car is growing on me. The interior is really nice, no surprise there, although I'm a little on the fence about the instrument cluster. It honestly looks like it would be just as much at home in the new Accord. After being in many newer Fords with the dual LCD screens flanking the gauges and higher end vehicles that have a full LCD screen for the cluster itself, I'm just not overly impressed with it. It's nice looking but it doesn't "wow" me, kind of goes with the rest of the car in that sense.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
I inspected and sat in this car over the weekend at the Chicago show.

I did not do extensive use testing of the dashboard electronics or the stereo -- just inspected the car visually, heard the stereo playing a tune of someone else's choice, and sat in it front and back.

My reaction was, basically, disappointment.

There are things I can't tell about a car from pictures, only in person. They didn't bode well for the RLX. The materials seemed good, of course, but a noticeable step down from our RL's. My girlfriend, who is not a car person, volunteered the same observation. In the rear, the legroom is unlimited, but surprisingly the headroom isn't.

The wood looks conspicuously fake, including on the dashboard. Based on history, my guess is that the future top one or two trim levels will have real wood on the dash. It's needed. And at a time when even Chrysler and Jeep are delivering real timber, its absence is all the more glaring.

My basic takeaway: To succeed with these aesthetics, this thing will have to deliver a brilliant drive. And with basically the RL's V6 pulling around 100 pounds more car than the RL—and without the advantages of SH-AWD—that's a very, very, very tall order.

Footnote: Not far away, there was a Hyundai Equus parked at the Hyundai exhibit in a roughly similar position, across the back of the exhibit. When I was there, the Equus was crammed with 4 or 5 people, unlike the RLX. The Equus on display had the full set of controls on the rear seat armrest, and the man in the right rear seat was reclining himself. The interior leather and wood looked conspicuously more expensive than the RLX I'd just viewed. In fact, the exterior styling did too. And although the example on the floor certainly was fully optioned up, the base Equus starts at $59,250—barely more than the RLX—with a 429-hp V8 and rear wheel drive as standard equipment. With Cadillac and seemingly everybody else lining up to compete, the RLX has quite a mountain to climb.

Last edited by TonyCD; 02-11-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Any car made in Japan faces this hurdle. I was quite surprised that they are continuing with Japanese production for this car. It puts them at a huge disadvantage content wise. Remember that the Korean wan is roughly at the same level (relative to the dollar) that the Japanese yen was back in the 80s. Do you remember how effortless it was for Toyota and Honda to seemingly outpace their competition when it came to features for a given price?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
I will wait until I see the car in person to give judgement! The Milwaukee auto show is just 2 weeks away! But so far the reviews are not very favorable!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCD
My basic takeaway: To succeed with these aesthetics, this thing will have to deliver a brilliant drive. And with basically the RL's V6 pulling around 100 pounds more car than the RL—and without the advantages of SH-AWD—that's a very, very, very tall order.
RLX is 3950lbs. about 200lbs lighter than current RL. and in addition class leading aerodynamics. much beyond any one expectations. THere are things that you cannot observe by looking at car. It will outhandle basicallly all FWD cars in production on all season setup. only Honda Civic Si with summer performance rubber will handle better but those are only 17inch. not tall 19inch rims like in RLX.

see this Audi A8 AWD. when it become 40k mile. it is barely faster than Accord which has all seaons setup. See the costs.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...wrap-up-review
If our two nonwarranty repairs were expensive, the regular running cost of our A8 was downright exorbitant. While our 5000-mile service was provided free of charge, the checkups at 15K, 25K, and 35K totaled $1402. Remember those Pirelli tires we praised a few paragraphs ago? Their treads were worn out by 25,000 miles, resulting in a $2260 replacement bill (four new tires for our 1997 long-term A8 ran a mere $392). The 7-series, in comparison, came with free scheduled maintenance but did cost us $1796 in new rubber. All told, our operating costs averaged 27 cents per mile.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:00 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by TonyCD
I inspected and sat in this car over the weekend at the Chicago show.

I did not do extensive use testing of the dashboard electronics or the stereo -- just inspected the car visually, heard the stereo playing a tune of someone else's choice, and sat in it front and back.

My reaction was, basically, disappointment.

There are things I can't tell about a car from pictures, only in person. They didn't bode well for the RLX. The materials seemed good, of course, but a noticeable step down from our RL's. My girlfriend, who is not a car person, volunteered the same observation. In the rear, the legroom is unlimited, but surprisingly the headroom isn't.

The wood looks conspicuously fake, including on the dashboard. Based on history, my guess is that the future top one or two trim levels will have real wood on the dash. It's needed. And at a time when even Chrysler and Jeep are delivering real timber, its absence is all the more glaring.

Footnote: Not far away, there was a Hyundai Equus parked at the Hyundai exhibit in a roughly similar position, across the back of the exhibit. When I was there, the Equus was crammed with 4 or 5 people, unlike the RLX. The Equus on display had the full set of controls on the rear seat armrest, and the man in the right rear seat was reclining himself. The interior leather and wood looked conspicuously more expensive than the RLX I'd just viewed. In fact, the exterior styling did too. And although the example on the floor certainly was fully optioned up, the base Equus starts at $59,250—barely more than the RLX—with a 429-hp V8 and rear wheel drive as standard equipment. With Cadillac and seemingly everybody else lining up to compete, the RLX has quite a mountain to climb.
I sat in the rear seat of the Equus. The rear seating area is very plush. When the rear seat is reclined, and you open the rear door, it automatically raises the seat to the upright position. As much bang for the buck in that car I don't think Hyundai has the brand identity to sell that car... yet. But I've actually seen one on the road here. Hyundai has come a long way in a very short time.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:02 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Colin
Any car made in Japan faces this hurdle. I was quite surprised that they are continuing with Japanese production for this car. It puts them at a huge disadvantage content wise. Remember that the Korean wan is roughly at the same level (relative to the dollar) that the Japanese yen was back in the 80s. Do you remember how effortless it was for Toyota and Honda to seemingly outpace their competition when it came to features for a given price?
I've heard that RLX production will also move to the US maybe after the 1st or 2nd year. That would put all production of North American Acuras in North America. Maybe that will help keep the 'value' in their pricing.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:08 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
RLX is 3950lbs. about 200lbs lighter than current RL. and in addition class leading aerodynamics. much beyond any one expectations. THere are things that you cannot observe by looking at car. It will outhandle basicallly all FWD cars in production on all season setup. only Honda Civic Si with summer performance rubber will handle better but those are only 17inch. not tall 19inch rims like in RLX.

see this Audi A8 AWD. when it become 40k mile. it is barely faster than Accord which has all seaons setup. See the costs.
The RLX is only about 100 lbs lighter and only the higher end trims have 19" wheels, the lower 2 have 18" wheels.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...lx_first_look/

Not sure what the Civic Si has to do anything here. But an AWD version of the A6 can be had for less than the asking price of the car in that pic.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Question Japan

Wait, this is going to be built in Japan? Last I read it was America but I guess I missed something ...

Back on Topic: Thanks for the pics! Was it really cold there? Both seats had the heaters turned up all the way to 3 - seriously tho, those red lights are a nice touch.

Is that chrome around the gauges? If so, pretty snazzy for an otherwise lackluster display IMHO. I am liking the 2014 RLX better but hopefully it will wow me in person bc so far I am not overly impressed (everything but the BMW X6 has looked better in person than pics). Not disgusted either mind you, but Acura is gonna have to bring a little more to get me spend ~$60k. Again, why do the 2 features I actually want (shades & ventilated seats) have to be all the way @ the top level? sigh

Crossing fingers that they make the SH-SH-AWD flashier (that means chrome door handles, Acura. Thanks). I still wish that they would use some of the things that the 1st generation TSX had like the 0 @ the 6 o'clock mark in the speed/tach-ometer & the gas pedal that is attached to the floor instead of descending down.

I am buying a new car this year & this was ear marked but I am starting to lean towards a ZDX instead bc I like the idea of being probably the only 1 in the entire area.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The RLX is only about 100 lbs lighter and only the higher end trims have 19" wheels, the lower 2 have 18" wheels.

Not sure what the Civic Si has to do anything here. But an AWD version of the A6 can be had for less than the asking price of the car in that pic.
Acura managed to cut the weight of the FWD RLX by 100lbs over the RL SH-AWD. Well whoopty-doo. I wonder how much weight would be removed from the 2nd gen RL if you took out all of the drive train components behind the front wheels...I'm gonna guess quite a bit more than 100lbs.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
Acura managed to cut the weight of the FWD RLX by 100lbs over the RL SH-AWD. Well whoopty-doo. I wonder how much weight would be removed from the 2nd gen RL if you took out all of the drive train components behind the front wheels...I'm gonna guess quite a bit more than 100lbs.
It's about 230 pounds for the SH-AWD hardware (based on TL weights). Remember that the new car was engineered to meet the IIHS' diabolical 25% Small Overlap test. This necessitated the addition of more crash structure. Now it is possible to use more lightweight materials, but this adds more cost. No easy answer to this one.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Based on what i felt in the RLX seating and comfort wise i was very happy with it. Not into the super fancy dashes and pop outs like in Audi's. seats felt good armrest location was perfect. there was more storage in the console since the delete of the split top half. The only other interior that impressed me was the Kia Cadenza (K7 overseas)
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man

2009-2012 RL gained weight with MMC, larger tires and 3.7L engine. it is now 4150lbs empty.

Now RLX has bigger wheel base, designed for even larger wheels. much higher safety. and more tech laden.

AWD version of A6 doesnot handle well unless it is on short life sport tires and suspension combo.(there is no torque vectoring in standard A6) and surely huge maintainance and depreciation bills. and cannot have B&0 system at this price. RLX will be more unique.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
^^ Very cool pic. I have a feeling this is going to be a sweet luxo-sedan.