Replace broken wheel stud

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019 | 10:07 AM
Pro

Replace broken wheel stud

2014 rlx with 68k miles. Front wheel stud broke off while getting tires rotated. Looks like hub needs to be removed to replace the stud. I assume this will destroy the bearing.

Any experience in this?

Looks like I might as well replace the bearing and all 5 studs and a day's worth of my time.
Old 10-07-2019 | 09:03 AM
Intermediate

jpadilla,

I've replaced the stud before without taking the hub out( not on the RLX) but in a different Honda i own. This will depend on the clearance you have, and if you can get the old one out and the new one in. I have not seen a stud break in the time i worked on cars or heard of anyone breaking one while rotating the tires. Was this done at a shop?
Old 10-07-2019 | 09:26 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Mototech22
jpadilla,

I've replaced the stud before without taking the hub out( not on the RLX) but in a different Honda i own. This will depend on the clearance you have, and if you can get the old one out and the new one in. I have not seen a stud break in the time i worked on cars or heard of anyone breaking one while rotating the tires. Was this done at a shop?
Yes done at a reputable shop. But before that, a car accident required wheel to be refinished which probably cross threaded the lug by those clowns.

I already took a peak, there is no way stud will clear without removing the hub.
Old 10-19-2019 | 03:28 PM
Pro

i just did went thru the work of replacing the broken stud. Wasn't too bad with the correct toosl. I did have to remove the hub and hence replace the wheel bearing. The knuckle can be removed from the bottom control arms without removing the ball joint from the lower control arms. There are three bolts on the bottom of the knuckle that frees it from the lower wish bone. Then the knuckle can be left hanging from upper ball joint.

Do I need to grease the axle/wheel hub?
Old 10-10-2021 | 08:30 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jpadilla
i just did went thru the work of replacing the broken stud. Wasn't too bad with the correct toosl. I did have to remove the hub and hence replace the wheel bearing. The knuckle can be removed from the bottom control arms without removing the ball joint from the lower control arms. There are three bolts on the bottom of the knuckle that frees it from the lower wish bone. Then the knuckle can be left hanging from upper ball joint.

Do I need to grease the axle/wheel hub?
I know its been a while but would you mind sharing details about how this went for you? Did you need to press out the old bearing and lug stud and press in the new ones? Did you need special tools?
Old 10-10-2021 | 09:33 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Conquistador
I know its been a while but would you mind sharing details about how this went for you? Did you need to press out the old bearing and lug stud and press in the new ones? Did you need special tools?
from what i recall, it's not difficult, just need patience. I also recall removing the C clip from hub that holds the bearing was the most frustrating, having the proper tool for that probably would help alot.

For the bearing, I used the following press to remove the inner race and press in the new bearing:
Amazon.com: Orion Motor Tech 23-Piece FWD Front Wheel Drive Bearing Adapters Puller Press Replacement Installer Removal Tool Kit : Automotive Amazon.com: Orion Motor Tech 23-Piece FWD Front Wheel Drive Bearing Adapters Puller Press Replacement Installer Removal Tool Kit : Automotive

And the following wheel stud installer to pull the new stud thru:
Amazon.com: Lisle 22800 Wheel Stud Installer : Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 22800 Wheel Stud Installer : Automotive

To remove the bearing from the hub, you'll have to press out the inner bearing. Then you'll need to use a dremel to score a line the outer race (stuck on the hub) being careful to not cut all the way thru and nicking the hub. Then use a hammer/chissel on the cut to break the race free. Then press in the new hub in the correct orientation.
Old 10-10-2021 | 10:06 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jpadilla
from what i recall, it's not difficult, just need patience. I also recall removing the C clip from hub that holds the bearing was the most frustrating, having the proper tool for that probably would help alot.

For the bearing, I used the following press to remove the inner race and press in the new bearing:
Amazon.com: Orion Motor Tech 23-Piece FWD Front Wheel Drive Bearing Adapters Puller Press Replacement Installer Removal Tool Kit : Automotive

And the following wheel stud installer to pull the new stud thru:
Amazon.com: Lisle 22800 Wheel Stud Installer : Automotive

To remove the bearing from the hub, you'll have to press out the inner bearing. Then you'll need to use a dremel to score a line the outer race (stuck on the hub) being careful to not cut all the way thru and nicking the hub. Then use a hammer/chissel on the cut to break the race free. Then press in the new hub in the correct orientation.
sounds good, thanks for the prompt reply. I just found out one of the lugs is cross threaded when I took the car to the dealer. It must’ve been when I got new tires not too long ago. I’ll call the tire shop to complain and hopefully they’ll take care of it, but wanted to have an idea of the process just in case.