Proof I might have made the right decision in not getting a Lexus.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015 | 10:44 AM
Racer

Proof I might have made the right decision in not getting a Lexus.

This is from today:

2006 gs300 engine recall - Club Lexus Forums

according to this guy the same engine from the 3rd gen lexus is put into the 4th gen in the same fashion. I am sorry to keep bringing things up, but someone mentioned that it is possible that the acura RLX engine might get carbon buildup because of the direct injection also? I know that "grandpa" said that acura spent years perfecting it. I am asking this because I have not yet went out and purchased the 8 year 120K warranty from acura for $1600. I was thinking I might switch to a lexus GSF in 3 years when the price comes down. After doing research about the possible price of it in 3 years. I don't think it is worth it. I know computers and I don't know cars. 4 years ago I didn't even know how to check the oil. I still don't know how to change a tire. I do the best I can trying to learn how something works so I can understand it. It seems a car is a complex machine and I should maybe think about taking some classes somewhere in atleast some basic things. Things such as how to change the oil, how to change the brakes etc. The RLX has the same engine as the 2006 RL right? None of those had any problems. Or how new is direct injection? was the 2006 direct injection? Do I need to be doing like a 30K Engine clean when I ever get that many miles (I am at 8K).
Old 05-31-2015 | 02:23 AM
Racer

Completely new engine in RLX?

The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura Enthusiasts Online - Articles - 500 RPM's below? : 2014 Acura RLX Advance

The article starts off like this:

The 2014 RLX features the first application of Honda's all-new Earth Dreams 310hp 3.5L V6 engine (J35Y4), which happens to be Honda's first V6 engine equipped with Direct Injection. So naturally, we borrowed an RLX as quickly as we could, and strapped it to the dynojet rollers at Dynolab in Marietta, GA.

so this is an experimental engine? From what people say on club lexus, all direct injection engines have issues that is why you should go with a EV car like the tesla.
Old 05-31-2015 | 07:00 AM
Grandpa

No, it is not experimental.

It is basically a J Motor bottom end with a top end redesigned for direct injection.

They've always known they could produce more HP/litre with direct injection, but they knew the top end had to be redesigned to avoid some of the problems associated with the long term life of direct injection motor top ends.

Since Jeff wrote that article, the K Motors have also been redesigned for direct injection, giving them more and easier power, together with better fuel economy for the HP.

Honda hopes that waiting until they could thoroughly re-engineer the top ends will avoid the problems that the Lexus people are telling you about; however, we don't absolutely know that because the motors are so new. At the time that other companies were rolling out direct injection, Honda demurred, saying that they could not get the same reliability with direct injection and get any better HP or fuel economy than they are getting now.

Just for comparison, the J37 was getting 305 HP out of 3.7 liters, whereas the RLX P-AWS car is getting 310 HP out of 3.5 liters. And the RLX gets better fuel economy than the smaller TL got with the J37.

You might notice that Honda and Acura dealerships are going to tend to try to use fuel treatments in your car if you have a direct injection motor and you show up for an A1 service with little fuel in your tank. <--That is a local NoVA rumor, but it is just a rumor and we'll be keeping our eyes open to see if it's something the dealers decided to do on their own, or what's going on with that. So far, though, a hell of a lot of people are reporting it.

Last edited by George Knighton; 05-31-2015 at 07:03 AM.