My take on the '15 RLX

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
My take on the '15 RLX

Took the type s in for service.Received a '15 p-aws RLX as a loaner.First what I like..nice tranny the 6 speed auto in sport mode fires off nice up/dwn shifts,much more sporting than the type s.Nice power from the 3.5 smoother than the type s,you don't get that nice vtec kick which I wouldn't trade for anything!Well thought out nav/hvac controls.You sit high,which I don't like.Here's where it gets ugly.the ride is downright awful! Booming over bumps,very unsettled chassis movements and a truckish ride if the road isn't pool table smooth.I was very surprised the car didn't even have 2k on it.Hate the light steering feel,the AWS Is hard to get used to.Honestly couldn't wait to get back into the S.All this from Acuras flagship? I would NEVER buy one.Its a shame.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:55 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I've never driven an RLX myself, but have read that the ride can be a little firm.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
I never drive the RLX but as far the TLX V6 FWD goes the power is slightly better than my TL however the AT shift rougher than my TL. 9 gears just never mean for all out performance 0-100 mph, I feel that my TL probably can beat the TLX in 0-60 mph.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Never driven the RLX, but just the fact that it has the dual entertainment display I wouldn't own one, I hate the look of it.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:48 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by 6MTSSR
...the [P-AWS] Is hard to get used to.
I had a P-AWS RLX for a while before I got the Sport Hybrid.

If you've grown up with front wheel drive cars, the P-AWS car is hard to get used to. We might as well recognize that it is not a comfortable feeling at first.

When you do get used to it, you realize that...P-AWS works!!

But people who've grown up with front wheel drive cars that basically always understeer won't find it intuitive.

You've got a huge, big, heavy, high HP front wheel drive car that (gasp!) just got you through that corner will small, and equal slip angles on all four wheels! :-)

What can really throw you until you get used to it is the undeniable fact that it takes a fraction of a moment (like ⅛ second) for P-AWS to take its attitude.

That's really not much time at all...but the problem is that it is within the scope of human perception, and you know it's happening.

Originally Posted by dezymond
Never driven the RLX, but just the fact that it has the dual entertainment display I wouldn't own one, I hate the look of it.
That's fine and good, your privilege. But you might want to spend some time with it before you say it doesn't work or say you don't like it.

When it first came out, nobody "got it" and reviewers said awful things about it when they first experienced it on the RLX.

But the funny thing is, since Honda persisted with it and you see it on all kinds of vehicles now (MDX, RDX, TLX, RLX, and on....), the same reviewers who did not like it before, now have had to live with it for a longer period of time, and the "get it" and like it.

There's two ideas behind it.

First, you want to have two completely different menus going on with the two different screens when it is appropriate.

But, on the other hand, if you WANT to do it, you can have the same controls for a particular menu system, but with different aspects on the two different screens.

For example, if you're a QWERTY typist, you would want to use the lower screen's keyboard. But if you're bad at that, you can use the rolling wheel to pick your letters and numbers on the top screen.

Or if you're listening to Slacker (Aha) or Pandora, you can move the Audio Menu to the top screen to make it easier to see the details of the track to which you're listening, and to make it easier to reject a track by using the big button instead of having to aim at the thumb-down on the little touch screen.

Try it for a longer period of time and, believe me, you'll understand.

:-)

Originally Posted by erdoc48
I've never driven an RLX myself, but have read that the ride can be a little firm.
Yes, it can. It's controversial and seems to come into its own with the heavier Sport Hybrid, which appears to have the exact same suspension the lighter FWD car has.

Doesn't really make sense, but that appears to be what they did.

The shock absorbers are two stage. You can't do any adjusting, you're at the mercy of the way they are set up to start with. They usually work just fine, but with only two stages and being already in the event you're experiencing before they adjust, you can understand that although they are a good compromise, they are not going to suit every occasion.

The suspension design itself is quite odd and very expensive.

Double wishbone at all four corners.

But it's a very complicated, multi-composition, multi-ball joint thing that most resembles the upcoming NSX Sport Hybrid. You know it can't possibly be the same suspension, but the NSX Sport Hybrid is the only car I've ever looked under that looked to have the same suspension design as the RLX/5G Legend.

If you've got ten minutes, this is a detailed functionality review of the two-screen Acura infotainment system from Alex Dykes (Alex on Autos):

2015 Acura AcuraLink Navigation and Infotainment System Review - YouTube

Last edited by Steven Bell; 05-31-2015 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Merge Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
pgeorg (05-31-2015), wstr75 (06-09-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 12:38 PM
Suzuka Master

PAWS is weird to me. I owned both FWD and RWD car and once I drive the TLX it felt like the rear slide out in a control manner which I don't like at all, I would rather have the SH-AWD tuck the rear in during corner. RLX is death in my book since it doesn't even come close to the Lexus LS460, MB S6 class or the BMW 7 series in term of power, luxury and ride quality figure. I give Honda the credit of having LED headlight as standard but that about it, they should makes a V8 for a luxury sedan and offer either in RWD or SH-AWD. The dual screen is just plain dumb some time it display the same info on both screen and you can enter the destination via the knob or touch screen which cause confuse for most new user. Why not keep it simple as the 3g TL with touch screen only at the same time the control button isn't clutter. The material in the dash looks cheap compare to car in the same class. Why in the hell they keep the heated/ventilate seats in the touch screen? ELS beat ML in the past because it offer DVD-A 5.1 DTS, the newer ELS doesn't even read DVD-A and the sound is nowhere near the same level as Marks Levinston. my brother has a 08 LS460 equipped with ML with 440 Watt 19 speaker the low and mid is par if not better than my 07 TL ELS in FM/CD however when come to DVD-A my TL is level as the same class but when come to full blast volume my ELS def has an edge over ML system. Why the hell the RLX did not come standard ventilated seat? even the cheap IS250 had ventilated seat as standard back in 2006.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:56 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
... it doesn't even come close to the Lexus LS460, MB S6 class or the BMW 7 series in term of power, luxury and ride quality figure.
In fairness, the Acura RLX doesn't cost anything close to what those cars cost.

The RLX P-AWS car competes more in terms of a Cadillac XTS, or maybe a Volvo S80.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
That's fine and good, your privilege. But you might want to spend some time with it before you say it doesn't work or say you don't like it.

When it first came out, nobody "got it" and reviewers said awful things about it when they first experienced it on the RLX.

But the funny thing is, since Honda persisted with it and you see it on all kinds of vehicles now (MDX, RDX, TLX, RLX, and on....), the same reviewers who did not like it before, now have had to live with it for a longer period of time, and the "get it" and like it.

There's two ideas behind it.

First, you want to have two completely different menus going on with the two different screens when it is appropriate.

But, on the other hand, if you WANT to do it, you can have the same controls for a particular menu system, but with different aspects on the two different screens.

For example, if you're a QWERTY typist, you would want to use the lower screen's keyboard. But if you're bad at that, you can use the rolling wheel to pick your letters and numbers on the top screen.

Or if you're listening to Slacker (Aha) or Pandora, you can move the Audio Menu to the top screen to make it easier to see the details of the track to which you're listening, and to make it easier to reject a track by using the big button instead of having to aim at the thumb-down on the little touch screen.

Try it for a longer period of time and, believe me, you'll understand.

:-)
We have a 2013 Accord in the family that I have driven thousands of miles on, I still don't like it. May be some tweaks here and there between the Accord and the RLX, but the same functionality is there.

I definitely understand what they were going for and am not surprised they persisted with it. I'm just not a fan. Would that stop me from buying say, a TLX in the future or any other Acura? Who knows. By the time I decide I need a new car there could be other strong competitors in the running or Honda may ditch their dual infotainment system altogether for something else. I wouldn't mind Google Auto in my car. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited by dezymond; 05-31-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by George Knighton
In fairness, the Acura RLX doesn't cost anything close to what those cars cost.

The RLX P-AWS car competes more in terms of a Cadillac XTS, or maybe a Volvo S80.
why the hell Acura is stepping backward? The Legend back in the day can easily blow LS400 or any German competitor out of water despite being V6 FWD, 04-05 TL attract many people who willing to gave up their RWD BMW, MB for 3g TL. now these day people just compare the TL/TLX just a next small upgrade from Nissan Maxima.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
why the hell Acura is stepping backward? The Legend back in the day can easily blow LS400 or any German competitor out of water despite being V6 FWD, 04-05 TL attract many people who willing to gave up their RWD BMW, MB for 3g TL. now these day people just compare the TL/TLX just a next small upgrade from Nissan Maxima.
I think that's a great valid (and fair) question to ask considering the history of Acura. But I think its important to remember that the "steps backwards" in many cases were in the sedan segment, as they clearly continued to excel and make progress in the SUV segment. And their continued lead in this segment is proof of that.

IMO the "troubles" had more to do with the sedan segment. The Germans and the other PAC luxury manufacturers took the lead, in many cases both in design style that was more appealing and in offering features that we are just now seeing in Acura vehicles for the first time.

I agree they are not what they once were, but I also beleive (and see) they are making great strides in a short time frame to get back on track. I think in the end, history will talk about 2009-2012 being a challenging time for Acura that resulted in questionable directions and products specifically in the sedan segment that they are now starting to recover from. The TLX is a great example of that recovery progress.

I've owned a 2014 RLX PAWS Advanced now for about 2 years with close to 40k miles worth of stick time in the car. And while there are a handful of things I strongly believe they could have done a much better job on based on the very reputation Acura built themselves (eg. like the suspension and ride issues mentioned by the OP), I also believe the RLX is an amazing technology "platform" for it to eventually become a great flagship vehicle for Acura, and the competition to think twice about...

Last edited by holografique; 05-31-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:24 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I don't see the RLX as a rough ride. The roughest ride of my life was that lowered NSX with the stiff comptech suspension. I believe the 2nd roughest ride was the corvette. The RLX rides as well as my GS300 did with the GS on 19" tires. I can feel the ride over bumps but doesn't feel all that bad. I would bet the LS460 would feel good with the air ride it has.

I am not sure about riding high? I don't feel high in that car and I have been in cars where they were almost illegal they are low. It definetly doesn't feel like a SUV high. To be fair, I haven't been in TLX very much. The sales rep was pissed off when we got into the thing and tried to show off. The only thing I don't like about the RLX is trying to maneuver it around in a parking lot. It feels like a boat and pretty big. I do probably agree that for the price they want for the car it shouldn't have that rough of a ride.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:24 PM
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 96 Posts
My experience with my RLX PAWS parallels George's comments. I have gotten used to the PAWS steering and now prefer its feel and action. In regards to the suspension, the occasional hard jounce is not a problem. Yes, the car has a bit of a dual personality: 1) the luxury side: plush, luxurious with a big interior, 2) the sporting side: immediate acceleration, power with a hard feeling suspension when hitting road obstacles. I can live with the occasional hard jounces as this baby has exceptional fuel mileage, power, luxury and quietness.
The following 2 users liked this post by wstr75:
Limelight (06-10-2015), pgeorg (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 09:56 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
^^^ What he said....
Old 06-23-2015, 06:31 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the problem that i found with the rlx ride is no doubt the 19 inch tires i got a set on enkei 17 inch wheel i got from tirerack.com that look really nice, they fill up the wheel well very nice. 235/55/17 and this car rides great it soaks up all of the bumps that use to crash the cabin before. i also tried the 235/45/19 and did not have to change the rim and the ride was still very good bumps were smoothed out much better, the handling was still great but the ride was so smooth and quiet, but not quite as good as the 17 inch wheels. but was better than the expensive stock michelin 245/40/19 which were just to firm for me but it depends on what you like. people thought i was crazy for trying this but it worked out great i might go back to the 235/45/19 next month because i like the look of the 19 inch wheel i have no issues with this car at all thanks for the bad reviews i got the car for a steel with 10,000 miles on it 2014 rlx krell package.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 08:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to AZ, cstarks!
Old 06-24-2015, 05:21 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a new 2016 RLX and I have no previous experience in the years prior, but I don't have any issues with the ride or handling qualities. Probably the first non AWD/4WD car I had in the last 25 years but I just don't see the issues some are describing. This is a great car for the price...
Old 06-25-2015, 04:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by TBC787
I just don't see the issues some are describing. This is a great car for the price...
That's cause you have a 2016!

Not only do the 2016 models have more features at the same price to help close the gap on the "value" issue, but it also appears to have a number of fixes and better quality control than the 2014 models.