My first winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 12:09 AM
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
My first winter

It got quite some snow here lately. The RLX is not an all time AWD car, so I experienced quite a few times of slipping when going from stop to motion . I do have snow tires on. It's not bad but it surprised me. Having said that, it hasn't disappointed me so far on overall driving. The regenerating brake does help on stopping I feel.

I will share more of my experience down the road.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:20 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I still have OEM tires on my wife's 18 RLX. We don't get a lot of snow, slush, or icy road in the southwest. I still have her drive my MDX with Conti DWS 06+ tires if the temps get near freezing or slick winter road conditions. My MDX has 4 IDS modes (Comfort, Normal, Sport, Sport+) with slightly different sport hybrid sh-awd programming. I guess the RLX hybrid wasn't ever designed for the same wide range of driving environments like the MDX sport hybrid?
The following users liked this post:
kareshi (01-16-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 07:04 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Winter Driving

The OEM Michelin tires Primacy Green X tires are so aweful. You cannot maintain control of the car in the best of road conditions with them. As soon as I pulled those and swapped to Good Year Eagle Exhilerate. Not that i'm biased to any particular brand.

Bottom line. The RLX Sport Hybrid became a completely different driving experience. You really need to get different tires on the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Triaque:
kareshi (01-16-2024), mrgold35 (01-15-2024), rlx015 (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 186 Posts
+1 ^ this...
I went from stock tires to Conti DWS 06+ and love the car! Stock Michelin is the crappiest crap!
Old 01-15-2024, 05:33 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,193 Posts
Planning to switch out the RLX OEM tires for Conti DWS 06+ this year.
rlx015 (01-20-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
My wife moved from an SH-AWD TL to her SH-AWD RLX hybrid. We were able to use the same snow tires from one to the other, so here's a true apples-to-apples comparison (by her observation) in winter driving here in NH:

- The RLX SH, when in EV mode, spends all of it's time in RWD. As such, when the car starts to feel slip, you get an old-school RWD behavior for a second or two before the AWD kicks in, and then it behaves similarly to other SH-AWD setups (TL, MDX, etc). It takes a while to get used to since the normal SH-AWD (non-hybrid) system is FWD largely by default and has a different feel when the traction starts to let go.
- The RLX SH, when in ICE mode, gives very similar behavior to a normal SH-AWD system. The rear wheels are driven electrically, but tend to behave very similarly to the traditional setup when giving traction to the slipping wheel.
- If you decide to put the RLX SH into 'sport' mode - so that you keep the ICE on all the time - it's a double-edge sword. Yes, you get a more traditional SH-AWD behavior for all 4 wheels - but the 'sport' mode shift points can make things a bit squirrely when you try to handle twisty roads or hilly conditions. Sport mode makes the RLX a hot rod to drive - which isn't always the best in the winter :-)

Overall the traditional SH-AWD system is a more predictable experience, and if you live in the snow belt, you'll be happier with the non-hybrid setup. But once you understand the way things work, you can change your driving expectations and get thru just fine :-)
kareshi (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 11:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Triaque
The OEM Michelin tires Primacy Green X tires are so aweful. You cannot maintain control of the car in the best of road conditions with them. As soon as I pulled those and swapped to Good Year Eagle Exhilerate. Not that i'm biased to any particular brand.

Bottom line. The RLX Sport Hybrid became a completely different driving experience. You really need to get different tires on the car.
I actually have the VikingContact 7 winter tires on already. Yes, the driving experience is different as the car's dynamics are different.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by andysinnh
My wife moved from an SH-AWD TL to her SH-AWD RLX hybrid. We were able to use the same snow tires from one to the other, so here's a true apples-to-apples comparison (by her observation) in winter driving here in NH:

- The RLX SH, when in EV mode, spends all of it's time in RWD. As such, when the car starts to feel slip, you get an old-school RWD behavior for a second or two before the AWD kicks in, and then it behaves similarly to other SH-AWD setups (TL, MDX, etc). It takes a while to get used to since the normal SH-AWD (non-hybrid) system is FWD largely by default and has a different feel when the traction starts to let go.
- The RLX SH, when in ICE mode, gives very similar behavior to a normal SH-AWD system. The rear wheels are driven electrically, but tend to behave very similarly to the traditional setup when giving traction to the slipping wheel.
- If you decide to put the RLX SH into 'sport' mode - so that you keep the ICE on all the time - it's a double-edge sword. Yes, you get a more traditional SH-AWD behavior for all 4 wheels - but the 'sport' mode shift points can make things a bit squirrely when you try to handle twisty roads or hilly conditions. Sport mode makes the RLX a hot rod to drive - which isn't always the best in the winter :-)

Overall the traditional SH-AWD system is a more predictable experience, and if you live in the snow belt, you'll be happier with the non-hybrid setup. But once you understand the way things work, you can change your driving expectations and get thru just fine :-)
You sum it up well! I feel the same and I am definitely taking time to get used to it . I don't drive it everyday and the winter was pretty mild this year. I still feel confident when driving it on snow and ice, yet the expensive is so different from my MDX. I just hope it won't let me down.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:38 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never had a problem
kareshi (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ppodell
I never had a problem
Do you mind to share some tips? I don't drive as good.