Lease ending dilemmas...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 08:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Lease ending dilemmas...

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I posted. I've been enjoying my 2016 RLX hybrid advance extremely and secretly. Now that I got 2 more lease payments left and time to move on to the next car. I am torn between staying with another RLX and some other cars (like Lexus ES300h ultra lux). I've been long-time Acura owner (RL-lines) but all these other temptations are giving me hesitation on jumping into another RLX hybrid. I got several acceptable quotes from several Acura dealerships. I still feel a bit uncertain. Wifey like me to jump into another lease with lower payments and better gas mileage Lexus (650/mo, 44mpg). But I'm used to everything about the RLX hybrid. Also I think I'm done with leasing cars when it comes to an awesome car like my current car. 3 years is too short for such enjoyment. Can somebody share your thoughts and opinion to help me with making a decision? (Like what to ask to be include in the deal, best deal you can get, different car options, etc.) Thank everyone for your guidance. Every once a while we all get lost in the fog of dilemmas and miss out in the best things that matter. Your guidance will prevent that from happening. Thank you again.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
Ok, I'll play the part of the ultra-pragmatic, logical, sensible killjoy...

One option that is available to you is to keep your existing car for another few years. Once the lease runs out, you can buy the car for it's residual value (I'm guessing it is likely $20,000 or less). The advantages of this option is that you know the car and you know that you will love driving it and the depreciation at that point is a small fraction of a new car's rapidly plummeting value. Three years later, when you sell it for $15,000, then sit down and do the math, you realize that you just saved $500 per month and still drove a safe, reliable, fun car that you really enjoyed. Alternatively, It is possible that you could re-lease your existing car for a ridiculously low payment which should make your wifey very happy.

Of course the downside to this is that you don't get to play with a shiny new toy, but if you put the money you save into a well-managed portfolio, you should have a really nice chunk of cash at the end of those few years when you decide that you really, absolutely need a shiny new toy.

The rational part of our brain says that putting money into a rapidly depreciating asset is foolish, but the emotional part of our brain always wants to be the person with the fancy new car. The trick is to keep both parts happy. Good luck with your decision.

Just my two cents...presenting a less-common option.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
neuronbob (12-06-2019), psheu (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 05:51 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Depends if the 16 RLX your car, her car, or both? I tend to think with different body parts when it comes to purchases. I'm willing to spend more to do and feel more behind the wheel. I would hate to be stuck in a lease only because of price for me.

As far as I can tell, there are zero changes for the 2018 to 2020 RLX models. The changes seem to be only cosmetic for the +18 compared to the earlier 14-17 RLX versions (same info-tainment, no CarPlay, updated front/rear bumper, updated seats, updated rims, touch more room in trunk, touch lower mpg rating). The word seems to pretty hush-hush about the RLX still being available after 2020 model year.

Purchasing the 16 RLX might give you more time to see what Acura does with the flag ship down the road. There are also so many choices in the 2020 RLX +$62,000 price range for a 3 year lease. Might be time to think outside of the box and test drive some SUVs, CUVs, coupes, sedans, convertibles, and sports cars.
The following users liked this post:
psheu (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
Ok, I'll play the part of the ultra-pragmatic, logical, sensible killjoy...

One option that is available to you is to keep your existing car for another few years. Once the lease runs out, you can buy the car for it's residual value (I'm guessing it is likely $20,000 or less). The advantages of this option is that you know the car and you know that you will love driving it and the depreciation at that point is a small fraction of a new car's rapidly plummeting value. Three years later, when you sell it for $15,000, then sit down and do the math, you realize that you just saved $500 per month and still drove a safe, reliable, fun car that you really enjoyed. Alternatively, It is possible that you could re-lease your existing car for a ridiculously low payment which should make your wifey very happy.

Of course the downside to this is that you don't get to play with a shiny new toy, but if you put the money you save into a well-managed portfolio, you should have a really nice chunk of cash at the end of those few years when you decide that you really, absolutely need a shiny new toy.

The rational part of our brain says that putting money into a rapidly depreciating asset is foolish, but the emotional part of our brain always wants to be the person with the fancy new car. The trick is to keep both parts happy. Good luck with your decision.

Just my two cents...presenting a less-common option.
Originally Posted by mrgold35
Depends if the 16 RLX your car, her car, or both? I tend to think with different body parts when it comes to purchases. I'm willing to spend more to do and feel more behind the wheel. I would hate to be stuck in a lease only because of price for me.

As far as I can tell, there are zero changes for the 2018 to 2020 RLX models. The changes seem to be only cosmetic for the +18 compared to the earlier 14-17 RLX versions (same info-tainment, no CarPlay, updated front/rear bumper, updated seats, updated rims, touch more room in trunk, touch lower mpg rating). The word seems to pretty hush-hush about the RLX still being available after 2020 model year.

Purchasing the 16 RLX might give you more time to see what Acura does with the flag ship down the road. There are also so many choices in the 2020 RLX +$62,000 price range for a 3 year lease. Might be time to think outside of the box and test drive some SUVs, CUVs, coupes, sedans, convertibles, and sports cars.
Great suggestions! I did intent to keep my current awesome ride after my lease. However, my lease contract made it not a good idea to do so. It's my oversight on this (first time leasing), the contract puts the buy out amount to be 30k not including tax and fees. At first I thought I just need to pay the remaining balance of 20k-ish. I think they did this on purpose to force the end of lease to turn it in so the dealers can play with the number and flip it around to sell. I've also learned from this experience that RLX hybrid have a very very low residual value <40%. It's better to buy than to lease this car. That is also why I have to move on to the next car. I think I am done leasing. From now on if I encounter a good car, I should buy instead of lease (3 yrs on this car is too short, of course it depends on the car).

I did get some fair quotes from several Acura dealerships on the 2020 RLX hybrid (PM me for the real number). But how low can you go? what's consider a good deal? what should be included (accessories, maintenance plan, etc.)?

After a long conversation with wifey, she said I should follow my heart and get what I like instead of better deal and something less enjoyable (reason, buying have longer commitment than leasing). At least list out the pros and cons between the ESh ultra luxury and RLX hybrid if both of these cars are acceptable.

Btw, this is strictly my car. Wifey just got her brand new 2020 Beamer (left Acura) so she's happy as ever.

and it comes back to the question, what's outside the box?

That's where I am now my friends. Thank you again for your input.
hondamore (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 03:06 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I've been looking for a +18 RLX Sport Hybrid to replace our 11 MDX Adv. I found a few (with and without CPO) in the upper $30K to lower $40K with mileage between 1500-25,000. Test drove a few and the really low mileage ones were service loaners or sales manager's vehicles because they didn't sell. Too hard to purchase the RLX new with depreciation hit the first 1-2 years for such an outstanding vehicle. Planning on purchasing a CPO 18 RLX Sport Hybrid in red metallic/ebony with 7500 miles this weekend.
pcloadletter (12-09-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 03:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
psheu, it might still be worth a call to your dealership to see if re-leasing your car for another two or three years is an option. Even if the starting value is $30K, the lower depreciation rate and lower initial cost would mean a MUCH lower lease payment. You'd get to drive a car that you enjoy, you would have a much smaller lease payment and it would buy you a couple of years to see what Acura comes up with as a replacement for the RLX.

Once you have that information, then you can make an informed decision regarding a new RLX or other vehicle. Good luck whichever route you choose to go.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:04 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
I bought a 2014 cpo rlx sh advanced and traded it in for a 2016 cpo rlx sh advanced when it hit 98k miles.

I was thinking of going German, maybe next round.