Help!!! Chronic "emission" error codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019 | 03:39 PM
Intermediate

Help!!! Chronic "emission" error codes

A few months ago, the dashboard of my 2104 RLX SH lit up like a Christmas tree. In took it to an Acura dealer. They said it was a fuel problem and I spent thousands of dollars to have the sparks plugs changed, fuel injectors cleaned, intake cleaned, oil changed, and various other minor maintenance things done. The car has 23,xxx miles on it and is out of warranty. This really irked me. Once the dealership was done with it, I drove it home. 2 days later the same lights came on. I bought an OBDII code reader and the two codes that came up were emission leak small, and emission leak large. I took it back to the dealer, and they said the gas inlet pipe had a sensor on it that was broken, and the entire pipe had to be replaced. Another $700 +/-. I drove it home. 2 days later the same lights came back on. The code reader again stated emission leak small, and emission leak large.

I haven't had a chance to take it back to the dealership, and I don't want to pay another $1,000 or so, to have the same thing happen over and over.

What should I do? Has anyone else had this problem? I can clear the codes, but every 2 days, without fail the lights come back on and the same codes come up.

HELP!!!
Old 12-23-2019 | 02:41 PM
Burning Brakes

I can't help with your specific situation, but can sympathize with the amount of money you've spent at the dealer for them to keep "correcting" things that they seem certain will solve the problem, only to be proven wrong. If I were you, I would have a serious conversation with the service manager next time, not just the service rep, about how you expect to pay to solve the problem, not just to keep training his techs on all the various systems of the RLX...
Old 12-28-2019 | 09:21 AM
Intermediate

I had the same problem on my 2016. First time dealership replaced EVAP canister under warranty, but the lights came back a week or two later. Yesterday when I went to pick up the car, they told me they found cob webs clogging up the EVAP line. They think this was causing the issue. I googled it and saw that 2009 Accords commonly had this issue, and it wouldn't surprise me if the RLX is prone to it as well. I encourage you to get that line checked and cleaned/or replaced. Good luck!
Old 05-02-2020 | 12:53 PM
Intermediate

***** UPDATE *****

I took it back to Acura. They did a smoke test on the emissions system. There was a leak where two of the seals were at. They charged me for parts and labor to fix this, but gave me a 15% discount on the entire bill. This came out to be $711 after tax. Before giving the car back to me, they got the same emissions error codes. They ran the smoke test again and discovered the fuel tank was "slightly warped" and smoke was coming out of the fuel tank connector. They replaced the fuel tank and did not charge me for labor or parts. They said the corporate employees at Acura approved me for this "goodwill" repair free of charge, do to all the problems I have already had, and paid for, on a car with only 25,xxx miles on it, with a good vehicle history, i.e. no accidents, etc.

They put everything back together, washed the car, and detailed the interior. When they gave the car back to me, it looked, smelled, and ran like a brand new car. I hope this does the trick and the lights don't come back on, but so far, so good. As of right now, without any error lights coming on, I have an almost "new" 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid with only 25,xxx miles on it, that looks and feels brand new. We will see how long I can go without any error codes being thrown. Wish me luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by cell6ida:
hondamore (05-02-2020), mrgold35 (05-03-2020)
Old 05-02-2020 | 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

You should be good to go! Enjoy!