AWD across the lineup for 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014 | 06:07 AM
Instructor

AWD across the lineup for 2016?

Awesome news for us AWD fans, it looks like Acura is considering going with an all-AWD lineup in the future, likely headlined by the NSX and the SH RLX

Acura Mulls Going All-Wheel Drive 24/7 in Bid to Cull "Acurists" ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

As a long-time Subaru owner as well (have had 5 over the last 20 yrs, including the beautiful SVX), I am a true believer in the many benefits of AWD. As a performance oriented guy, SH-AWD is very effective, and the new electric SH in the SH RLX is even better, with both on and off throttle torque vectoring.

And here's an important point to remember: CAFE - Acura is going to have to meet the stringent 2017 and 2021 goals with its fleet, which means efficiency needs to jump, and fast. One way of doing that is to go AWD and increasingly ensure that the most of the sales are for models with the Hybrid drive trains like that in the SH RLX.

Matter of fact, I'd predict that with the low volume of the RLX, they might all be SH models for 2016, leaving the TLX with the mechanical SH-AWD and possibly a 2017 variant of an SH TLX as the 'performance' sedan.

Exiting stuff indeed, what do you think of this move?

Acura SH SH-AWD badge
The following users liked this post:
Malibu Flyer (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014 | 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Acura=Audi and that's not a bad thing. As long as they are trying to be Audi, I will say again that they need to steal designers from Audi. Audi= gorgeous external and internal design.

I think they need to keep the FWD models around because the uneducated among Honda/Acura owners still won't understand SH-AWD and will be looking to save a few bucks and some weight.

I think it was an error to "dumb down" the AWD system on the current gen RDX, but I am no automotive engineer or executive so my opinion holds no water there.

OTOH, as a car enthusiast, I would LOVE every Acura to be SH-AWD. I am a SH-AWD believer and every gen improves on the last.
Old 10-17-2014 | 08:53 AM
Instructor

^^^
Ditto.

As a SH-AWD MDX and TL owner, I won't go back to FWD.
Old 10-17-2014 | 09:00 AM
Grandpa

We were talking about this in another venue yesterday.

In a range like the Honda Accord, I am not sure that AWD is something that people are looking for.

Likewise, it seems that they're selling tonnes of the 2.4 litre TLX, suddenly, to people who are not in the least interested in AWD.

I don't know....

For me, as an enthusiast who previously owned a 4G TL 6-6 SH-AWD, I'd love seeing more SH-AWD. But I'm not sure that it's an entirely correct and logical expansion into segments that might very well not have any interest in AWD.
Old 10-17-2014 | 11:02 AM
shenanigans

My SH-AWD MDX Sport was a blast to drive. I wouldn't mind if Acura went this way.
Old 10-17-2014 | 11:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

With the RLX being a low volume seller, it would not be a huge stretch for Acura to drop the PAWS version and offer only the Sport Hybrid version. I've always wondered if the PAWS version was a stop-gap to cover the delays with the hybrid version - the SHAWD Hybrid version being intended as the flagship sedan all along. The argument against that being the stupid number of trim levels that were released in the RLX, suggesting that Acura was simply trying the shotgun approach at conjuring sales for the RLX.
Old 10-17-2014 | 03:41 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

NOT looking to TRADE my 2007 SH AWD MDX Sport anytime soon Acura! Bring back SH-AWD !!! If I want a FWD vehicle then I'll buy a HONDA.....
Old 10-17-2014 | 04:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

I believe the point that JonFo was making was that traditional SHAWD may be a thing of the past because of the poorer fuel economy associated with it and any other traditional AWD systems. The Sport Hybrid version however satisfies both needs - the traction and wicked handling of the SHAWD BUT with fuel economy numbers that can help to satisfy the ever more stringent CAFE requirements. Assuming the long rumored battery shortages can be solved, running Sport Hybrid SHAWD throughout the Acura lineup (except for the ILX and maybe RDX) would be the best solution and could raise Acura's prominence in the luxury car/SUV market by offering class leading handling and class leading fuel economy. As I've said before, an SH- SHAWD MDX with 30 MPG in the city would have upper middle class soccer moms (and dad's) around the continent running to buy one. Hmmm, sounds like Smart Luxury to me (LOL).

Last edited by hondamore; 10-17-2014 at 04:50 PM.
JonFo (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014 | 05:09 PM
Instructor

^^^ Correct, a largely hybrid-based AWD strategy would be a huge win. Honda/Acura is known as a great technology Co.

And all those folks missing the type S and R cars would go nuts for a Type R SH TLX.

And Hondamore, totally agree a 30+ MPG Hybrid MDX would be a big hit!
hondamore (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014 | 05:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Acura=Audi and that's not a bad thing. As long as they are trying to be Audi, I will say again that they need to steal designers from Audi. Audi= gorgeous external and internal design...
So true Bob, my dream car is the body of an Audi S7 with the running gear and quality engineering from the SH RLX.
Old 10-17-2014 | 05:23 PM
Instructor

BTW- for those doubters out there that don't think AWD is the new black in luxury cars, please check out the recent news from Tesla and their AWD initiative.

That Model S P85D with a 0-60 of 3.2 and 691 HP is surreal. But even the 60D with AWD is no slouch.

I bet we will see pretty much every high end brand doing some variation of a hybrid AWD. Vendors like Acura might even be at an advantage now as their platforms are largely FWD as far as the ICE is concerned, so the rears can be electric as on the RLX.
RWD oriented designs are stuck with the heavier, bulkier mechanical drivetrains now.
TampaRLX-SH (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014 | 06:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JonFo
I bet we will see pretty much every high end brand doing some variation of a hybrid AWD. Vendors like Acura might even be at an advantage now as their platforms are largely FWD as far as the ICE is concerned, so the rears can be electric as on the RLX.
RWD oriented designs are stuck with the heavier, bulkier mechanical drivetrains now.
That would be interesting to see if the main stream auto reviewers would make the 180 degree shift and start ragging on cars for being RWD based.
Old 10-17-2014 | 07:57 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Indeed, I anticipate multi engine / electric motor combinations being a feature of premium / luxury in the near future. Why?

1) Electronics are no longer exclusively a luxury attribute
2) AWD can be exploited as the new superfluous luxury trend. (Heck Subaru succeeds with a safe and sensible image).
3) Improve perception of AWD value / need: AWD because of hybrid configurations may sell. whereas AWD for traction and safety in non snow belt areas has not.
4) The hybrid AWD will better achieve CAFE benchmarks for brands whereas non hybrid AWD will drag down CAFE averages / brand.
5) Hybrid AWD configs will offer better weight balance and bump up performance recognition
6) Hybrid AWD will bring torque to the consumer and overcome 1st generation hybrid perception of low power.
7) Multi engine / motor AWD hybrids will mute attributes of 1st generation hybrids (i,e, power transfer shutter, unrefined Atkinson cycle engine thrash)
8) More supercar / top tier sports cars introducing hybrid technology to inject hybrid configs to sports / performance desires.
9) Hybrid AWD likely to be accepted over diesel technology for power, torque and efficiency (as well as greener perception).
10) Hybrid AWD can be standardized across model lines mating various I4 and V6 engines with similar electric motor components.

Personally I think this should become Acura's signature. Lighter Second Gen SHAWD in all cars as the base and Sport Hybrid configs optional in the RLX and MDX initial, tickling down as it is perfected.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (10-18-2014), JonFo (10-18-2014)
Old 10-18-2014 | 04:29 AM
Instructor

Let's also remember that Honda has the highly regarded drivetrain from the Accord Hybrid as well. Put that in a TLX with the dual rear motors for a killer luxury sedan.
Old 10-18-2014 | 04:42 AM
Instructor

I think Honda / Acura are in a pretty good position for the next 5 years, with vehicle architectures increasingly well suited to the Hybrid AWD we've been discussing here, but also for a future pure electric plug in family, but that would be a new dedicated platform to maximize the benefits of electric-only (e.g. more like a Tesla in underlying layout).

But with Acura developing not only the killer dual motor SH-AWD in the back of the RLX, they are also developing the front-axle oriented SH-AWD with the dual motor configuration in the front of the NSX. Blend those two in one vehicle, and stand back and be amazed at the power and handling of that sucker. SH at all four corners!

Remember, dual-motor per axle electric SH allows for variable negative torque and infinitely adjustable positive torque differential between sides!

Man, can't wait for a quad-motor all SH-AWD TLX or RLX plug-in someday.

And all those folks pining for V8's and RWD from Acura can go suck eggs now. Who'd want a dino-fuel guzzler with heavy inflexible drivetrains when you can have what I just described?. The future is electric and software controlled !

Last edited by JonFo; 10-18-2014 at 04:44 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JonFo:
hondamore (10-18-2014), Malibu Flyer (10-18-2014), wstr75 (10-18-2014)
Old 10-18-2014 | 05:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JonFo
Who'd want a dino-fuel guzzler with heavy inflexible drivetrains when you can have what I just described?. The future is electric and software controlled !
*raises hand sheepishly*

I admit, though, having fully scratched that V8, RWD itch and being done with it after owning two CTS-Vs. I decided long ago that my next car would be hybrid or electric.

I'm keeping the V wagon, though. It is such a unique car that it would be a mistake to give it up even with its 1950's pushrod engine and antiquated (but smooth and fun) manual shifter....not to mention it has more cargo space than the RLX Sport Hybrid .

Last edited by neuronbob; 10-18-2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-18-2014 | 07:46 AM
Instructor

^^^ LOL Sure Bob, I understand the attraction of uber-high HP RWD from things like the CTS-V lineup, and I'm with you, I'm also a wagon / hatch guy as well

But I live in the mountains, and while it's fun to grab the wife's WRX sportwagon for a spin, the prospects of quad-wheel super handling electric drive has me fantasizing about really tearing up the roads around here
Old 10-18-2014 | 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator