Anyone Else Want To Modify Their RLX????

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone Else Want To Modify Their RLX????

Am I the only one here who wants to modify their RLX? I've been calling Eibach and Tein with no success. Maybe air suspension? Anyone else????
Old 02-01-2014, 06:02 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
At this stage of the RLX game, you are probably by yourself. :-)

Personally, I have absolutely zero intention of modifying the car. But I am old and have been driving Hondas since 1989 so I've probably just been there and done that and I am finished with it.

The last straw was probably selling '00 ITR #110 this past summer. I'd owned the car since December 1999.

It ended its life as a dedicated track car that anybody could drive easily to H1 times at any track. A K20A(*) motor (DCT ITR), and very developed tuning for the motor and suspension. It was an awesome car, but I got so old that tracks like Mid Ohio and VIR just make me dizzy. LOL....

Sponsored two Honda Challenge cars over the years, and sponsored the inaugural Honda Challenge champion, in fact. Still helping out somebody with one project and the tow vehicles and trailers...it's an expensive thing to be doing.

Just tired of it and buying cars now for myself, cars that don't need modifying to satisfy me. :-)

I also drive 60-90 minutes a day to get to work, and that's why I bought this particular car. For me, it's an ideal combination of performance, comfort and economy. I'm way too old to be in a car with 1400# springs. LOL....

So, yeah, you're more than likely by yourself.

As far as Eibach goes, we have some influence there and we could probably talk them into something.

The trouble is that the RLX (5G Legend) is a brand new chassis. There's only like 8,000 of them even built so far and nobody's thought about it yet. :-)
Old 02-01-2014, 06:07 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Something that I'd like for you to think about is that if you go too far in a performance direction with the suspension, you're going to run into design limitations that you might not have thought about.

For example, although the combination of highly computerized, good thinking AHA and VSA, together with intelligent transmission, do a very good job with controlling how the P-AWS system works and how torque is applied to the two front wheels...the fact of the matter is that there is no physical LSD on the RLX.

It's a good handling car, but having driven one on the track I have to suggest to you that there are limits in the design that might make modifying the suspension an unprofitable venture, ultimately.

There's *no* LSD that will fit in the RLX without affecting the other systems. It would have to be aftermarket because the Torsen axle from the old FWD TL 6-6 is not fit for the torque of the 3.5 Earth Dreams motor...and I'm not even sure that the old FWD 6-6 LSD would fit in the 6AT housing!!