Acura RLX paint and overall care

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015 | 06:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Acura RLX paint and overall care

Here is a thread for car cleaning geeks like me.

What do you all use for cleaning and paint care purposes? I have been accused as being hyper OCD about taking care of my cars. Some people simply run their cars through the car wash and that is it. I on the other hand take it to an obsessive level. There is a gentleman in my area that has a huge business taking care of the rich and famous with their exotic cars, who has taught me everything I know about this topic. His name is Larry Kosilla and his business is AMMO NYC www.ammonyc.com . Although I like his products and use them, I also use others offered by the Chemical Guys www.chemicalguys.com . Like I said I am not crazy about cleaning, I’m eccentric. I clean the inside of the wheels not just the outside. I clean the wheel wells and the underside of the car whenever possible. I clean the engine and under hood area so that it looks absolutely pristine. The inside is clean enough to eat off of, and the windows are spotless. Quite frankly if the car looks like it was never driven before, then that is what I consider satisfactory. Remember this is a daily driver and believe me I drive it. People who have awesome cars that are not driven I am not a fan of, but someone who enjoys a car’s virtues but keeps it looking perfect I offer my salute!

What do all of you do?
Old 04-16-2015 | 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Zaino, and every year or two I take my cars to a professional. My work schedule is such that I don't really have time to do it myself like I used to.

AZ has a special forum for car cleaning:

https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/

HTH!
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015 | 07:19 PM
Safety Car

highly recommend OptiGuard. TampaRL was the one who first posted about it.
Get the one that has to be applied by a Certified Pro. Can't remember if it is OptiCoat or OptiGuard that is the Pro only product

Have not waxed my car in over a year now and it shines and beads off water like just waxed
RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015 | 10:47 PM
Racer

How good is the paint on the RLX compared to the gs350? Same amount of clear coats, regular coats etc?
Old 04-17-2015 | 06:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by krava
How good is the paint on the RLX compared to the gs350? Same amount of clear coats, regular coats etc?
My understanding is that the paint on the RLX is different than other Acura models with the exception of the MDX, as there are the primer coats, then two base coats, then the clear coat. Between each application the car is baked in the manufacturing process. Afterwards the detail crew color sands and polishes before applying the transportation plastic and "goo" on the top surfaces. It is a dark colored thick substance which they wash off at the dealer. I know this to be true because that is precisely how mine was when I drove it from the delivery lot to the dealership building. I put every mile on my car with the exception of the .6 miles that were on it when I turned it on for the first time.
Old 04-20-2015 | 09:32 AM
Racer

I have Expel Ultimate on hood, fenders, bumper, side sills, front top grill, side mirrors, and top area above windshield. This has been one of the best investments so far.

I also use Chemical Guys products--there are others that do the same job. Had car "clay bar", then wash, then use M-Seal, followed by Wet Seal, and then a finishing product. M-Seal is like Zaino. The more you use M-Seal the more it builds up a layer. These products are part of ceramic-nano lines (others make them as well).
The following 2 users liked this post by Zoommer:
hondamore (04-20-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015 | 11:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Here's another stupid question...Should I have the paint sealant treatment done before or after Xpel Ultimate application?? Treating the paint before the Xpel might effect the adherence of the Xpel where as treating the paint after means that parts of the car are having the Xpel treated and not the paint (although those painted surfaces will never really be exposed because of the Xpel). Is it wise/necessary to apply the paint sealant/wax products onto the Xpel as well??

To be honest, my ignorance is because I've never been that concerned about treating or waxing my cars, but with a Black exterior, it seems more necessary.
Old 04-20-2015 | 11:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hondamore
Here's another stupid question...Should I have the paint sealant treatment done before or after Xpel Ultimate application?? Treating the paint before the Xpel might effect the adherence of the Xpel where as treating the paint after means that parts of the car are having the Xpel treated and not the paint (although those painted surfaces will never really be exposed because of the Xpel). Is it wise/necessary to apply the paint sealant/wax products onto the Xpel as well??

To be honest, my ignorance is because I've never been that concerned about treating or waxing my cars, but with a Black exterior, it seems more necessary.
I don't have any experience with Xpel so I can't say. If you actually did what I have already done, you might not do it. Kind of a Mt. Everest thing. If you are up for the challenge, I am happy to teach you.
Old 04-20-2015 | 11:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the offer RLX-Sport Hybrid, but I lack the commitment necessary to do the paint treatment myself. My question was primarily due to the fact that I'm going to have two different businesses do the paint protection (Xpel Ultimate) and the paint sealant and I was just curious about the best order of application. Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2015 | 12:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the offer RLX-Sport Hybrid, but I lack the commitment necessary to do the paint treatment myself. My question was primarily due to the fact that I'm going to have two different businesses do the paint protection (Xpel Ultimate) and the paint sealant and I was just curious about the best order of application. Thanks again.
No problem. Very few people a loony enough to care for cars like I do. The sick thing is I actually enjoy the hard and tedious work, but I get a great deal of satisfaction out of it. My offer stands if you change your mind.
Old 04-20-2015 | 04:06 PM
Racer

To apply XPEL a licensed and authorized dealer will wash your car with the most aggressive product (usually--don't laugh: Dawn) and then apply the product. I am told it has to do with adhesion. That is why it is recommended that you do it right after you buy the car-o/w you get pits, dings, scratches, etc..in the paint. Go to a recommended and trusted place=LOOKS GREAT after it is done. The front of my car ALMOST never gets dirty; the rain and dirt just rolls off. I treat the XPEL surface just like paint surface. So far so good.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zoommer:
hondamore (04-20-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015 | 04:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Here is a thread for car cleaning geeks like me.

What do you all use for cleaning and paint care purposes? I have been accused as being hyper OCD about taking care of my cars. Some people simply run their cars through the car wash and that is it. I on the other hand take it to an obsessive level. There is a gentleman in my area that has a huge business taking care of the rich and famous with their exotic cars, who has taught me everything I know about this topic. His name is Larry Kosilla and his business is AMMO NYC www.ammonyc.com . Although I like his products and use them, I also use others offered by the Chemical Guys www.chemicalguys.com . Like I said I am not crazy about cleaning, I’m eccentric. I clean the inside of the wheels not just the outside. I clean the wheel wells and the underside of the car whenever possible. I clean the engine and under hood area so that it looks absolutely pristine. The inside is clean enough to eat off of, and the windows are spotless. Quite frankly if the car looks like it was never driven before, then that is what I consider satisfactory. Remember this is a daily driver and believe me I drive it. People who have awesome cars that are not driven I am not a fan of, but someone who enjoys a car’s virtues but keeps it looking perfect I offer my salute!

What do all of you do?
^^^^Almost the same. But a bit less than what you describe--only less because my family now thinks I am normal after they read the above!

It is just easier and faster to keep it clean than to do a full job every two weeks or so.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-20-2015)