Acura RLX Marketing

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Acura RLX Marketing

Acura is lighting the fuse on the marketing fireworks for the 2014 iteration of the RLX, which started gracing dealerships recently. The 360-degree campaign goes about everywhere this spring and summer. Well, not everywhere, but pretty far for Acura.

The automaker notes that the effort is targeted to an affluent audience (golf and print books are a big part of it), but there's also a big sponsorship of this year's men's college basketball tournament this month. The effort comprises TV, and print, digital, social and its largest mobile activation to date. The campaign is meant to light up not only the new RLX but also Acura itself. The theme: "Luxury, taken to a whole new level."

Mike Accavitti, vice president marketing at the Torrance, Calif., luxury unit of Honda Motor, says, "By utilizing an integrated campaign in the context of the big annual college hoops tournament, we are able to reach a large audience and still remain highly targeted."

The hoops element of the campaign, running through April, includes a raft of media placements: Acura will be on late-round men's college basketball tournament games; a sponsorship of the ESPN Tournament Challenge using TV, display, mobile, video, social and brand ownership of the brackets; and video sponsorship of the college basketball tournament on demand.

The company says it's also targeting golf's affluent fan base with sponsorship of the Masters Tournament, the U.S. Open with advertising on CBS coverage of the events. Per Acura, the media pie is nearly equally divided among TV, print and digital, to take advantage of the targets' media-consumption habits.

Research firm Ipsos Mendelsohn, in a study last May, reported that affluent consumers – like just about everyone else – list baseball, basketball and football as their favorite sports. Ipsos MediaCT’s 2012 Mendelsohn Affluent Survey finds they also over-index for print media.

From next month through the summer, Acura RLX will be ready for its closeup on cable networks like Bloomberg and CNBC; print books like Forbes, Travel+Leisure and Wired; ads in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal; and home-page takeovers on news, sports and financial sites; and mobile and video networks. The mobile effort leverages Apple's mobile iAd units, which it used for the Acura RDX.

In terms of vehicle features, the campaign touts Acura's Precision All-Wheel Steer, Jewel Eye LED headlights and the next generation of the AcuraLink connected car system, per the company.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Interesting. I would like to see how they do with it.
I hear multiple ads for Acura everyday on my local radio station. They have yet to mention the new RLX. Maybe tomorrow 3/15?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:30 AM
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
I think Acura really needs to start making some changes/redesign with their own website. I just noticed you can now build a RLX online now but it makes me so disappointed to see nothing new and the renderings look awful. You would think with the flagship they would recreate the way we interact when building the car of choice. Don't mean to bitch but I just keep waiting to see Acura shine the way it use too, haha many years ago. Problem is I just keep getting more disappointed in you Acura, STEP IT UP!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:34 AM
Safety Car

Red face WebSite

A while back, I remember Acura winning an award for their website & remember thinking to myself "What's so special about this site?"

Well, now that I am car shopping I can totally so how easy to navigate it is. I have gone to a few other luxury car sites recently and got totally lost just trying to figure out what the difference is between different levels & packages. Trying to build 1 became utter chaos & Audi kept logging me off every time I took more than a few seconds to read something.

Yes, Acura does need to branch out in the accessories arena. I was really hoping for an a metal interior kit, perhaps carbon fiber. Anything but wood. Maybe the SH-SH-AWD model.

On a side note: when I was at the dealership flipping thru their accessories book, it was clear that Acura did not want any Toyota/Lexus-esque acceleration issues. With the floor mats it said in big bold letters not to use them with the carpeted mats. Also, the accelerator is attached to the car from the top & bottom to make sure nothing gets caught around it.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Acura has an app you can download to your iPad to preview the RLX. Search for 2014 RLX tour.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TSX69
A while back, I remember Acura winning an award for their website & remember thinking to myself "What's so special about this site?"

Well, now that I am car shopping I can totally so how easy to navigate it is. I have gone to a few other luxury car sites recently and got totally lost just trying to figure out what the difference is between different levels & packages. Trying to build 1 became utter chaos & Audi kept logging me off every time I took more than a few seconds to read something.

Yes, Acura does need to branch out in the accessories arena. I was really hoping for an a metal interior kit, perhaps carbon fiber. Anything but wood. Maybe the SH-SH-AWD model.

On a side note: when I was at the dealership flipping thru their accessories book, it was clear that Acura did not want any Toyota/Lexus-esque acceleration issues. With the floor mats it said in big bold letters not to use them with the carpeted mats. Also, the accelerator is attached to the car from the top & bottom to make sure nothing gets caught around it.
I do agree with you on the point that Acura site is user friendly. After looking closer it looks like Acura has no love for OEM Body kits lately. That was my biggest complaint about the ZDX I use to own. I do love the styling of the RLX, but would like an option for a body kit from the factory. We can only hope for something for the AWD version coming soon
Old 03-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Safety Car

Heard the Acura radio ad twice this morning. No mention of RLX
Old 03-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by rsx2rdx
Acura has an app you can download to your iPad to preview the RLX. Search for 2014 RLX tour.
Thanks for the heads up. I like the app. It could use a bit more sound, though.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Safety Car

The RLX is now on the main Acura website as well as Dealers. My Dealer has only the 2 demos in stock. Both Crystal Black Pearl with Technology Package
one ebony leather, the other seacrest leather
both $55,345.

Checked 3 other Dealers in the area. 2 have not updated their site with RLX inventory
The other one has 2 listed, one with Advance Package for $61K

Last edited by getakey; 03-15-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:57 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
What do you guys think of the lease deals on the RLX?

2014 RLX with Navigation
$499/month for 39 months
$3999 total due at signing

2014 RLX with Technology Package
$569/month for 39 months
$4399 total due at signing
Old 03-16-2013, 06:03 AM
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
I found the web site configurator is pretty nice and easy to use. Much better job than other brands that's for sure.

BTW- Since I still can't pick an SH-SH-SWD version I built an Advance with my options and it's $62K, so figure an extra $7K or so for the Sports Hybrid.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:27 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by JonFo
I found the web site configurator is pretty nice and easy to use. Much better job than other brands that's for sure.

BTW- Since I still can't pick an SH-SH-SWD version I built an Advance with my options and it's $62K, so figure an extra $7K or so for the Sports Hybrid.
I just went to the configurator and saw that the "base" RLX model has these horrendous rims.... OUCH! Why wouldn't Acura use nicer ones for their flagship sedan, even if it's the "base" model, which still carries a nice price tag?

Hmm.....
Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Commercial

Old 03-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So glad to see RLX ad produced in Toronto at -0.20 it shows how quickly you can make a turn in some tight Toronto neighbourhood streets the beauty of PAWS
Old 03-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by JonFo

I could With a little bit of Photoshop.

-Used ILX Hybrid rims
-Changed front fascia a bit for a sporty look
-Used MDX Entertainment Package
-Extended wheel base
-Added chrome trim
-Lowered roof line a tad
-Added CLX and TLX to model lineup
-Changed the RLX packaging around some

Base price is 1K above the GS but comes standard with SH-AWD, Navi and a few more features. Tech PKG is no longer needed as you can upgrade the stereo to Krell and add Advance PKG's for other luxury items as well as an abundance of safety technologies. Lastly we have the entertainment package. Much like the MDX's but in the RLX, also offering Wifi connectivity and more!

The full blown Hybrid SH-AWD model is only offered on the highest trim(I done that by accident but decided to leave it as non of this is true anyway)

Compare image to Acura's website for best results! lol
The following users liked this post:
ostrich (03-18-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ You know what, you just confirmed what I have been saying all along!! The BIGGEST problem with the RLX are the UGLY rims. This makes the RLX so much sexier and a vehicle I would be proud to be seen in.

If I love the RLX in person, and some other Acura rims would fit this vehicle, I would seriously consider one now. Amazing how rims can change sooo much the look of a vehicle.
Timmy18 (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree. Rims make or break every vehicle.

Sadly, the ILX Hybrid rims (above) are 16's and they would look ridiculous on the RLX IRL. The next option would be the Acura TSX V6 rims. They are 18's, but who wants 18's when the car comes with 19's? And even then the TSX rim isnt as sculpted as the ILXs.

There is also the Honda Accord Euro with the sport package ( i think its called that) with similar rims, but also only 18 inches. Lastly there are the 2013 Accord LX rims. But again, they are too small. All of those rims have a similar design, yet are no bigger than 18inches! Honda's nicest wheel is no bigger than 18's!!

The TL-SH-AWD Tech wheel is OK, but I feel like it doesn't suit the RLX. I was really hopeing for some rim options in the exterior accessories but there are non.

I'f I bought the RLX, i would go with the 2013 Acura ZDX rims. They are 19 and look decent with the darker finish.

The '13 ZDX doesn't have any angles I can use on the RLX.. so I used this one, stretched it and tried to make it look less blurry.
weather (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ You know, if Acura want to make the RLX a success, they would at lest give people an opportunity to customize their vehicle. Most car companies at least offer accessory wheels and why Acura is not giving people that opportunity is beyond me. On one hand, they want to succeed, yet on the other hand, it almost seems they don't want to put any effort in succeeding?!? I am left a bit baffled.....And lets all be honest, I find it hard to believe that everyone at Acura feel that this wheel design is a home run....I would think someone would have raised the question...."Shouldn't we make accessory wheel available"? I know that after market rims are available and no offense to the people that produce and buy them, but I like my ride to display OEM equipment.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:47 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Once again, the lack of individual custom options (in this case, wheel choice) is coming back to haunt the RLX, just like it did to the 4G RL.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Well, maybe they will read these threads and get to work! It's not too late to bring some accessories to make this car sexier. It wouldn't take much to really bring some excitement to the flagship....Sexier wheels, brushed aluminum instead of the wood trim, and some sportier trims on the outside. I know its not a high volume car and Acura doesn't want to spend money of developing accessories but the old expression "you gotta spend money to make money" applies....Make the car available with sexier and customizable features and people will be more inclined to buy it.

I love Vanilla ice cream but being to add some sprinkles always make it more exciting to eat!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Safety Car

in that commercial filming, they used a mercedes for the camera vehicle. You'd think they could have gotten an MDX for it
Old 03-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

getakey...I may be wrong but my gut feeling tells me these guys don't work for Acura per se (with the exception of the bald guy). Acura likely contracted a "film" company to shoot the video and that is their vehicle. That is my guess...but I could be wrong, as with most things in life *lol*
Old 03-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
in that commercial filming, they used a mercedes for the camera vehicle. You'd think they could have gotten an MDX for it
No offense, but these systems are not just 'added' to any car. The vehicle must be heavily modified to handle the weight and balanced. The production company probably rents the gear from whomever owns it. I'd bet there are only a handful of these rigs in existence. This is an example:

Old 03-17-2013, 07:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^Wow, why did I get three? Only one link was posted. Funny.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, form the looks of it, the commercial is going to be baddass. Which is they way it should be. Acura needs to give this RLX ALOT of attention in order for people to just go look at it on line, let alone in person if they liked it enough 'at home' (online).

Acura usually makes good commercials and lately Honda has too, but the usual CGI rendered back grounds and environments wont work for this one. I actually dislike the current CGI renderings. For some reason, 04-08 Acura commercials looked better.. (I did like the formal room they used in 09-11 though)

Anyway, good that they are spending some $ on FWD RLX commercial. It would have to be really exciting and interesting as I said before for such a bland car.

As for the accessories, I think Acura already knows this car wont sell as well as they hoped so. They aren't going to spend money on something the demand isn't really there for. Not till the car sells some and the eSH-AWD model comes out (prays to god it looks somewhat like my renderings) and maybe we can get something after a MMC..

Oh.. and did anybody see the hideous deck lid spoiler for the RLX? It looks like it doesn't even belong on that car. As if it was a last minute option. Ok Ok its not that bad, but I just hate how it covers half the back of the trunk and has to be cut out for the Acura logo to be seen, like the other RL's. Couldn't thay have done something a bit better? And why is a wing not offered? The trunk is flat enough, like the 3rdG TL and 1G/2G TSX. The wing might not look as good or be in place for this type of class but if your going to offer an accessory form factory, atleast make it cohesive and look natural to the car.

The styling of the car has alot going for it, just Acura left it off and away from it. Far far away.

I feel like 10 years from now Acura will be bankrupt and I'll remember back to me typing this and wishing I could have done something to keep it all from going down hill. I hope the first Japanese luxury automaker isn't the first to leave.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by weather
getakey...I may be wrong but my gut feeling tells me these guys don't work for Acura per se (with the exception of the bald guy). Acura likely contracted a "film" company to shoot the video and that is their vehicle. That is my guess...but I could be wrong, as with most things in life *lol*
I'm sure you are right, and as per follow on cooments I understand the vehicle was heavily modded. Just ironic
Old 03-18-2013, 12:25 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Timmy18

WOW! Love these rims on the RLX! It's completely upgraded the entire car!!!

The 19" rims on the higher level RLX are OK, but those 18" rims on the base model are just horrendous........ they have got to go!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Drifting

^^ You know, if Acura want to make the RLX a success, they would at lest give people an opportunity to customize their vehicle. Most car companies at least offer accessory wheels and why Acura is not giving people that opportunity is beyond me. On one hand, they want to succeed, yet on the other hand, it almost seems they don't want to put any effort in succeeding?!? I am left a bit baffled.....And lets all be honest, I find it hard to believe that everyone at Acura feel that this wheel design is a home run....I would think someone would have raised the question...."Shouldn't we make accessory wheel available"? I know that after market rims are available and no offense to the people that produce and buy them, but I like my ride to display OEM equipment.
Hey, Weather, I feel the same way! When I played with the configurator, I was looking for more rim options but I could not find any....!!! Maybe the SH-AWD hybrid version will get some nicer rims? Mind you, even at this price point, Acura seems to want to put only the "nicer" rims on the more expensive P-AWS RLX. The base RLX still gets the cheap and ugly rims. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! You got to put the nicer ones on the base RLX trim, and give the higher end trim the super looking rims!!!

It is indeed mind-boggling as to why Acura would not pay more attention to this critical exterior detail. Weather, you are so right - rims do make the cars - thinking about it, BMW, Audi etc. all have pretty nice rims. Without them, the 5 series would have looked rather bland. Same with Audi's.
weather (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ The proof that rims make the vehicle, being in the northern climate, look at gorgeous vehicles with the steel black rims and how instantly ugly a vehicle get. Many people under estimate the importance of rims and that is one of Honda/Acura's weaker point (not the weakest, but not their strength that's for sure)
Old 03-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts
Just a few small changes make a huge difference. Lining up the top of the grille with the top of the headlights looks way better. I really hope they at least update the front bumper for the SH model.

Originally Posted by Timmy18

-Used ILX Hybrid rims
-Changed front fascia a bit for a sporty look
-Used MDX Entertainment Package
-Extended wheel base
-Added chrome trim
-Lowered roof line a tad
-Added CLX and TLX to model lineup
-Changed the RLX packaging around some

Base price is 1K above the GS but comes standard with SH-AWD, Navi and a few more features. Tech PKG is no longer needed as you can upgrade the stereo to Krell and add Advance PKG's for other luxury items as well as an abundance of safety technologies. Lastly we have the entertainment package. Much like the MDX's but in the RLX, also offering Wifi connectivity and more!

The full blown Hybrid SH-AWD model is only offered on the highest trim(I done that by accident but decided to leave it as non of this is true anyway)

Compare image to Acura's website for best results! lol
Old 03-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
^^ The proof that rims make the vehicle, being in the northern climate, look at gorgeous vehicles with the steel black rims and how instantly ugly a vehicle get. Many people under estimate the importance of rims and that is one of Honda/Acura's weaker point (not the weakest, but not their strength that's for sure)
I fully agree. One of the big things that drew me to the M37 Sport vs. standard M37 was the wheels, night and day difference in the look of the car. I think The Germans and Infiniti (and now Lexus) get this as you see their sport models usually have different fascia and wheels. It is also an easy way to take an overall conservatively styled car and make a sportier model that widens the appeal the the model line, thus the non-sport model gets the main stream conservative people and the sport model attracts those looking for the sporty look and feel.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Safety Car

Just filled out March madness brackets on ESPN - look what was next to the final Save/Submit button:

"Yes, I'd like to receive emails from Acura about new models (including the Acura NSX and RLX), special promotions/partnerships and site features"
Old 03-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Safety Car

Talking Luxury

I get the feeling that Acura wants us to associate the RLX with luxury. Not sure tho .....

Old 03-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I received a "come back" mailing a few weeks ago featuring the RLX. They are mining former owners like me.

Having just bought another V, I am out of the market for now....but hopefully they keep up the marketing.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Drifting

They think that if they say "luxury" enough times then we will believe that it's a luxury car.... LOL
Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Pro

I think the states need some pointers from the guys from the north. Here is the new Acura RLX Commercial from Canada! Great work!

nore03 (03-30-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
^^ awesome
Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by mugen_kid
I think the states need some pointers from the guys from the north. Here is the new Acura RLX Commercial from Canada! Great work!

The all-new 2014 Acura RLX - YouTube
The only problem with the commercial is the car looks like an es350 when the driver approaches it at the opening of the commercial.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Safety Car

I have not seen an RLX ad on TV yet. However, see it mentioned on the NCAA march madness websites.
As stated before I hear an Acura radio ad at least once per day. Still no mention of RLX. The ad says to come in and see the ILX and new MDX
Old 03-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by getakey
I have not seen an RLX ad on TV yet. However, see it mentioned on the NCAA march madness websites.
As stated before I hear an Acura radio ad at least once per day. Still no mention of RLX. The ad says to come in and see the ILX and new MDX
I was at a friends house last week and saw the cheesy Luxury RLX commercial on the USA channel. Now I have seen countless tv ads on the ILX, RDX, and TL. I'm sure we will start to see more advertising on the RLX soon. But I would have thought Acura would take the extra measure to at least create some buzz on the RLX.

Quick Reply: Acura RLX Marketing