Acura Care vs Portfolio Protection anyone heard of that?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 07:35 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Acura Care vs Portfolio Protection anyone heard of that?

I went to the acura dealership here and they basically told me that the acura care warranty isn't good at all and tried to get me to buy this Portfolio Protection. They told me if the speakers blew etc that Acura Care doesn't warranty it and only Portfolio Protection does. He also said that the Portfolio Protection covers 50% more parts 5000 or so he said that Acura Care doesn't. Is that true? This place wants $2860 $0 deductible or more for that protection 8 years 120K miles, when I can get Acura Care (I believe) warranty for the same time for $1675 with $100 deductible. My question is why isn't Acura Care any good? I thought the actual Makers plan was better then any after market plan. Then this guy says it is best to buy the warranty where you plan to take the car to get fixed other then somewhere else. What's wrong with all these care dealer people? People want to flat out lie to get a sale? Or am I wrong somehow? The Portfolio website is www.porfolioco.com.. The acura dealer here didn't even offer to tell me about the acura warranty at all.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
AcuraCare is exclusionary meaning only the items on a small list are not covered. Speakers are not on the exclusions list, so they are covered. Here is the list toward the bottom of this page:

What is not covered by Acura Care & what is covered.

AcuraCare is the way to go. Backed by American Honda and accepted at any Acura Dealer. The other warranty is being pushed by the dealership because they get more of a kick back when they sell that warranty. They do not have your best interests at heart. Just want to make more money.

You can buy AcuraCare all the way up to 4 years/50k miles. No reason to even think about it closer to that point. Who knows if you will still even have the car by then (totalled, tired of it, etc.). Wait until 3.5 years, 40k miles and then shop around. In the meantime, put that 1500 in the bank and watch the interest grow.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:10 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by blacktsxwagon
AcuraCare is exclusionary meaning only the items on a small list are not covered. Speakers are not on the exclusions list, so they are covered. Here is the list toward the bottom of this page:

What is not covered by Acura Care & what is covered.

AcuraCare is the way to go. Backed by American Honda and accepted at any Acura Dealer. The other warranty is being pushed by the dealership because they get more of a kick back when they sell that warranty. They do not have your best interests at heart. Just want to make more money.

You can buy AcuraCare all the way up to 4 years/50k miles. No reason to even think about it closer to that point. Who knows if you will still even have the car by then (totalled, tired of it, etc.). Wait until 3.5 years, 40k miles and then shop around. In the meantime, put that 1500 in the bank and watch the interest grow.
I agree 100% with blacktsxwagon. I bought the Acura Care because of the reasons stated above. The fact the dealer misrepresented the Acura Care warranty should be your first tip off. I had an extended third party warranty i got talked into for my '05 RL, only to find the company went under during the recession. Each third party warranty has it own quirks. I found out after i bought mine I had to front the money for the repairs and then seek reimbursement from the warranty company later, unless i went back to where i bought the car [which was not very convenient for me]. Being able to take it to any Acura dealer and get the repair done by people who know what they are doing is a great comfort. Because of my great experience with Acura's reliability I tend to keep my car for a long time [my RL I had for 10 years]. Having an extended factory warranty is what I wanted and got.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:17 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
I would only buy an AcuraCare warranty. You won't be subject to "reasonable and customary" coverage and won't have out of pocket costs and/or need to be reimbursed.
You should also shop for AcuraCare pricing. Good and competitive pricing can be had at:

Bernardi Honda
Saccucci Honda
Hyannis Honda

Reach out to them on line for quotes and I bet you will be happy!
Old 04-29-2015, 07:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
I would only buy an AcuraCare warranty. You won't be subject to "reasonable and customary" coverage and won't have out of pocket costs and/or need to be reimbursed.
You should also shop for AcuraCare pricing. Good and competitive pricing can be had at:

Bernardi Honda
Saccucci Honda
Hyannis Honda

Reach out to them on line for quotes and I bet you will be happy!
This is good advice. The Acura warranty can be bought from any Acura dealer. You don't need to go there to buy it. Simply look up the Finance Manager on the dealer's website and call him/her directly. Make a deal over the phone and send them a check. I called a number of dealers when i was buying my Sport Hybrid. I wanted to buy the car from my local dealer but told the dealer I didn't care where i got the warranty. They ended up matching a quote of $100.00 over the dealer cost that I got from a dealer 100 miles away.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:26 PM
Racer

I don't want a 3rd party warranty. I am getting an offer from Goodson acura for 8 year 120K warranty from Acura Care for $1695. I think that is a good price. I know I have up until the time the original warranty expires to get an extended but doesn't the price go back up a bit the longer I wait?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:27 PM
Racer

I have to check the Honda dealership here for that warranty I haven't asked Honda yet
Old 04-30-2015, 07:33 AM
Racer

A honda dealer won't sell this to you unless they are directly connected to an Acura dealer (e.g. same staff).

The price goes up a little bit, but I find it hard to believe that the same money invested in even a basic money market account would not net you more interest than those savings. As I said, there is also a very real possibility that you will not have this car in 4 years/50k miles (for various reasons). Why tie that money up now when you don't have to?
Old 04-30-2015, 07:47 AM

A honda dealer won't sell this to you unless they are directly connected to an Acura dealer (e.g. same staff).
Absolutely incorrect info!!!

The three dealers I listed above can and will sell Honda and Acura warranties anywhere across the US with the exception of FL. Keep in mind that Acura and Honda are essentially the same entity. Dealers outside of FL cannot sell extended warranties to residents of FL because the dealers in FL campaigned/complained to Honda Corp and apparently they agreed
OP - do your due diligence and compare and shop at any Honda or Acura dealer you like. The three I mentioned above have been noted to sell very competitively to many Acurazine members, myself included. Another one to check out is Curry Acura although their name doesn't or hasn't come up as often as they used to.
In terms of the cost of the extended warranty rising as you roll up miles and years on your car - I have heard, but cannot confirm this is true. Please also keep in mind if you sell, trade or total your car you can file for a prorated refund after the fact with the correct documentation. I did that with our MDX and believe I got a check for about $500 after trading it in -
Old 04-30-2015, 09:58 AM
Racer

Thanks for the correction on the Honda dealer.

In my mind, they are prorating your warranty for a period where you are not using it. Its not like any warranty claims will go through AcuraCare during the factory warranty period, so why make them charge you for time that you aren't using?
Old 04-30-2015, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the correction on the Honda dealer.

In my mind, they are prorating your warranty for a period where you are not using it. Its not like any warranty claims will go through AcuraCare during the factory warranty period, so why make them charge you for time that you aren't using?
No worries - just want to make sure fellow members are both well informed and correctly informed

I agree with you about essentially have two warranties in place for the first 4 years/ 50K miles. As you state the AcuraCare warranty only comes into play once either the 4 year or 50K milestones are reached. As I mentioned above, I have heard, but cannot confirm the purchase price of the AcuraCare warranty will be more than it is a year from now. This may make sense if you think about increases in dealership labor rates and parts cost as time goes forward, but again cannot confirm.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:17 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Sucks to be in Florida, I can only buy an extended warrenty from a Florida dealer and at the retail price that is set by the State Ins Board, so it's full price. This must also be a Acura requirement because for my wife extended Toyota warranty I brought it from out of state, it good at any dealer nationwide and it cost 1/2 of what the Fl dealers wanted for it. If you look at some of the out of state Acura dealer web site that sell the extended warranty, they don't even have the state of Florida in their drop down menu.

Last edited by woropallo; 04-30-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:50 PM
Pro

The price goes up a little bit, but I find it hard to believe that the same money invested in even a basic money market account would not net you more interest than those savings. As I said, there is also a very real possibility that you will not have this car in 4 years/50k miles (for various reasons). Why tie that money up now when you don't have to?
Everybody has a unique viewpoint on extended warranties. Since I keep my cars for a long time, I like to have them. Keep in mind that the extended warranty is assignable to the next owner of the car. Particularly if you decide to sell your car yourself in a private party sale, knowing that the new buyer will get a factory warranty for awhile can help the price at which you sell the car. Also, if you sell it back to the dealer, it appears from other reports, you can get a credit for the unused warranty.

BTW - the last time I looked at my money market bank account I was getting an interest rate of 0.01% which would generate literally no more than a few pennies in interest a year. Just my
The following 2 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
hondamore (04-30-2015), NBP04TL4ME (05-01-2015)