2019 Acura rlx sport hybrid SH-AWD Sedan 4D. R title. Is this a good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 03:02 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 Acura rlx sport hybrid SH-AWD Sedan 4D. R title. Is this a good buy?

Hello everyone. I am looking at a RLX Hybrid SH-AWD. It's an R tile and I got a full carafe for it. It was rear end moderate damage. The price is $21,000ish. 49-50,000 miles.

The possible trade would be my ES350 2010 ( I am asking for $8,000) plus cash.

I wanted to get your opinion, if this would be a good deal at all considering it's an R title? Would it be hard to get loan and would the resale of this car be difficult due to R title?

Would really like to get the experts though on this please
Old 06-28-2024, 04:31 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I have an 18 RLX Sport Hybrid I purchased CPO back in Dec of 2019 with 7200 miles and now have +40,200 miles now. It has be excellent to own and mostly trouble-free with only:
- water leaking into spare tire wheel well because of missing plugs (fixed for free under 4/50k warranty a few months after purchase)
- replaced 2 bent aftermarket rim because of potholes (damage rims where +2 years apart)
- failed OEM battery in 2021 (replaced under warranty)
- failed rear glass sunshade (CPO warranty charged $1500)
- did TSB for firmware update 7DCT for odd gear shifting issue (my RLX didn't have any issues)
- waiting on parts for fuel pump recall

Looked like my RLX was in an unreported rear end accident and the repair shop forgot the hatch plugs and the paint on the rear bumper was too thin compared to Acura standards (Acura tech tested the paint on rear bumper). I added PPF to the rear bumper for extra protection against future issues with the thin paint. Might be something you need to check on if you plan to keep the RLX +4 years. Other than that, the RLX has been an excellent vehicle, plenty of power, mpgs always in the 26-28 city and 30-34 hwy range, and always seems to turn heads or a conversation starter of people of a certain age.

The "R" title (assuming rebuilt title) would be a solid "NO" for me for any vehicle. The 14-20 RLX (made in Japan) repair parts can be expensive, back ordered, no longer available, or have very long shipping times if you discover any issue with the rebuilt title. Factor in the EV components for the Sport Hybrid system that also stopped being available in 2020 for the RLX, MDX, and NSX. Each separate EV component can cost $4000-$12,000 range+labor if you have an issues that might not be covered under the standard 8yr/100,000 EV component warranty because of the R title (trunk battery pack, rear Twin Motor Unit, DC inverter, 7DCT w/ generator).

I would check out the 17-20 MDX Sport Hybrid (I like the 18-20 models because Carplay was added). The MDX Sport Hybrid has less power (321hp/289tq), no Krell audio, a second slower 0-60 mph, mpgs in the 24-27 range, and no HUD. The Advantage with the MDX Sport Hybrid are:
- extremely sporty and can have better handling compared to softly tuned 18-20 RLX
- all day 4-12hr X-country road trip comfortable supportive seats (RLX seats hurts the wife's and I lower back after +4 hours)
- way more interior storage cubbies for stuff
- 19.4 gal gas tank for 425-450 mile range compared to 15.1 gallon gas tank for the RLX Sport hybrid
- updated info-tainment with Carplay, updated graphics, electronic 2nd row climate controls, auto heat/cool seats
- Comfort, Normal, Sport, and Sport+ IDS modes with electronic dampers for soft/comfy ride, sporty ride, or wild with Sport+
- real wood interior trim (not plastic like the RLX), sport pedals, and more aluminum accent pieces
- More MDX Sport Hybrids were sold and there should a few to pick from if you do a coast-to-coast search.

Last edited by mrgold35; 06-28-2024 at 04:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
asdecorazones (06-30-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 05:12 PM
4th Gear

Thank you so much for your reply. Much appreciate the effort you put in the details. I am also trying to steer away from an R/Rebuilt title. But the car looks and feels so good that one gets tempted. I got a full carfax and it has no recalls but just the rear end damage,.
Old 06-28-2024, 05:37 PM
mrgold35

I just did a quick coast-to-coast search for similar 19 RLX Sport Hybrids and used prices are in the $35,000-$39,000 range. How much damage did the RLX have to be considered a total loss needing a R title? Hopefully, there isn't any damage to the frame/suspension, you can insure the RLX at a reasonable price, not planning to sell for years, and no current/future damage to EV components or Acurawatch systems
Old 06-28-2024, 05:41 PM
4th Gear

That's exactly right... I mean He said it was tail lights and bumper damage..Now is he telling the truth? I am not sure. I did find the photos of the car with damage while I ran the vin number search ..I have those photos. I am new to the US so I am not that familiar with the R titles and how severe does it have to be to be called R.
Old 06-29-2024, 06:01 AM
mrgold35

I'm not in the insurance business. From my understanding, a R title is an upgrade from a salvage title once repaired. Salvage title means a total loss of the vehicle because the cost of repair exceeded the value of the vehicle or the damage could/can compromise the safety for the passengers in another accident. Things like flood damage, accidents that causes multiple airbag deployments, parts/labor of repairs exceeds the value of the vehicle, or an accidents that results in a bent frame can check the Salvage title box for insurance companies.

I would download the owner's manual to be familiar with the RLX. I would even check out other RLXs to see how they drive to compare to the R-title RLX. I would take the R-title RLX to an body shop to have them inspect. There will be signs of frame repair or they can double-check workmanship of the repairs to make sure corners were not cut. You still might have the issue of insurance cost for an R title depending on the type of coverage you need.
Old 06-29-2024, 08:19 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I'm not in the insurance business. From my understanding, a R title is an upgrade from a salvage title once repaired. Salvage title means a total loss of the vehicle because the cost of repair exceeded the value of the vehicle or the damage could/can compromise the safety for the passengers in another accident. Things like flood damage, accidents that causes multiple airbag deployments, parts/labor of repairs exceeds the value of the vehicle, or an accidents that results in a bent frame can check the Salvage title box for insurance companies.

I would download the owner's manual to be familiar with the RLX. I would even check out other RLXs to see how they drive to compare to the R-title RLX. I would take the R-title RLX to a body shop to have them inspect. There will be signs of frame repair or they can double-check workmanship of the repairs to make sure corners were not cut. You still might have the issue of insurance cost for an R title depending on the type of coverage you need.
I looked into the R title earlier. And they can be more expensive to insure. If do seriously think about his car I will do full comprehensive inspection ($300-$400) from Acura and get every little detail of the car checked. I am just trying to figure if this is indeed a good deal or not with this price.