2018 sh

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018 | 08:06 AM
Safety Car

2018 sh

My dealer in Houston has two SH models on hand. In the number of years I have been going to that dealership I have never seen a SH model there. In fact, - I had to order my '17 through him in order to get one. SH models are very rare in the Houston area.
Old 04-24-2018 | 12:24 PM
Safety Car

I noticed while on the Parkway today when I floored the accelerator while going 70 the rear electric motors did not kick in - going too fast for them to add any additional HP but they did activate for the torque vectoring? I was not in Sport mode.
Old 04-24-2018 | 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

So I won't say too much on this topic other than to say that if you are in sport mode, and floor it, you will not have long to enjoy it before you hit jail speeds, and quite frankly looking at where the thrust is coming from while doing that would be a death wish from my humble perspective. There are clearly repeatable differences in the torque delivery and thrust "feel" between sport and eco drive modes. Personally I like the eco mode the best when you are in the 60-90 ish mph speeds. It is hard for me to justify a need for more speed than that, but this is the USA and we always want just a little more. Just enjoy it and drive carefully. Life is short so have fun! Take care.
Old 04-24-2018 | 05:14 PM
Safety Car

I will add I was in a 'safe' zone with no other vehicles nearby. With the heads-up display it is quite safe to get a view of the activity and keep eyes on the road.
Old 04-28-2018 | 07:14 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by miner
I noticed while on the Parkway today when I floored the accelerator while going 70 the rear electric motors did not kick in - going too fast for them to add any additional HP but they did activate for the torque vectoring? I was not in Sport mode.
This got me to thinking, at what speed do the electric motors quit providing power to the wheels? I called Acura Corporate, twice, and never received an answer, unless one considers, "That depends" as a suitable answer. Did a key word search on the owner's manual, nada. I'm a member of the Acura Owner's Site, and even though they couldn't give me a satisfactory answer, they've been helpful in the past. I recommend it. Acura Owners Site Exclusive Knowledge, Service, & Benefits

Here's what I could find from a 2013 Road & Track article,

"Part of the beauty of the system is that the motors are fairly small, made possible by gearing them down. A planetary gearset couples the motors to their
respective wheels at a 10.38:1 ratio. The problem with that is that at about 78 mph, as the motors reach 11,000 rpm, they begin to produce too much voltage
for the electric systems to handle reliably.

The solution is to decouple the motors from the rear wheels at high speeds—which is also a boon to efficiency. (And let's be honest—you don't actually
need four-wheel drive at high speeds. If you're spinning your front wheels at 80 mph, you may as well start dialing 9-1-1.)" https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...x-coolest-awd/

The article implies that the front electric motor continues to supply power above the 78 mph cutoff for the rear electric motors.

It would be nice to get a definitive answer.
Old 04-29-2018 | 07:56 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by mrrobato
This got me to thinking, at what speed do the electric motors quit providing power to the wheels?
They never stop supplying power for torque vectoring.

They stop providing power for forward acceleration at something around 80. People have said "78" and this seems believable to me based on personal observation.

Even when you are doing something as simple as changing lanes at 100 mph, you might notice your graph show that a motor has provided some vectoring, depending on exactly what it is that you are doing.

You can claim legitimately that these cars are "sporty" in many ways, but we have to remember that these are (for Honda) huge sedans, and that they weigh something like 4400 pounds. I can accept that there was a logical reason for providing no forward thrust from the rear electrics over something around 80.

Although you can enjoy the quick rotation on the track and although you can surprise people how well your huge sedan handles on the track, you're still not going to be setting any records. :-) It's just not an all-out performance car.
Old 04-29-2018 | 08:56 AM
Safety Car

Thank you all for your answers and research - makes sense now. Still a very fine automobile.