2016: RLX v. Accord (!?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
About to be a new RLX owner here. After all the Accord vs. TL/TLX comparisons, I was surprised to see it also on the RLX! Okay, they both have 4 wheels and made by Honda and will get one from point A to point B

The Krell audio sounds gorgeous! I haven't had a lot of time tt play with the settings but when I popped in my DTS-Cd version of Steely Dan's Gaucho.. AWESOMESAUCE!

So far...XM sounds awful. It seems to be translated as center channel audio.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:10 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
About to be a new RLX owner here. After all the Accord vs. TL/TLX comparisons, I was surprised to see it also on the RLX! Okay, they both have 4 wheels and made by Honda and will get one from point A to point B

The Krell audio sounds gorgeous! I haven't had a lot of time tt play with the settings but when I popped in my DTS-Cd version of Steely Dan's Gaucho.. AWESOMESAUCE!

Congratulations! And welcome. Will you be acquiring an PAWS or Sport Hybrid?

I promise you, that anywhere there is or will be a review of the RL, RLX or future flagship iteration and there is an opportunity for a comment to the review there WILL be the inevitable 'looks like an Accord' post. These are the ultimate sour grapes people who post not from experience, not from ability to own but only to negate what they cannot or will not ever appreciate. There is no shortage of narrow, superficial people in the world and the internet empowers them to think that anyone else really cares what they think.

Yet BMW, Mercedes and Audi all build cars of the same family styling, (even more so if you ask me) and these geniuses cannot crow loudly enough how wonderful they are.

These people cannot understand that some people like understated, proportioned and simple style and find that sophisticated. Yet these noise makers get heard, more so via web and social media and unfortunately some car companies listen to them, if misguided. We then wind up with the Acura power phlegm grille and the Lexus tortured predator styling of the new RX.

Personally I think the about to be released Accord has too much going on for a family sedan. The current model is, IMHO the best looking Accord yet. The car companies have lost their audience. It should not be the internet trolls....it should be the people that actually buy the car, or would like to.

Flagship cars of this segment are not hot sellers, most due to the simple fact they cost more that the masses shop for. They should not appeal to 20 somethings who aspire for a transformers vehicle. They should appeal to the 50+ crowd who are quieter, more sophisticated, purchase for self and not to trump others and look for inner beauty and depth over flash and verve. And as typical with coping skills challenged youth, they find solace in sour grapes over envy, admiration or goal setting.

(Forgive my long winded reply. I just spent dinner with my 20 something nephew trying to convince him that Kanye West for President is not brilliance.)
The following 6 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (09-28-2015), jim_c (12-07-2015), JM2010 SH-AWD (09-28-2015), pgeorg (09-28-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-27-2015), wstr75 (09-29-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-27-2015, 08:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH

I promise you, that anywhere there is or will be a review of the RL, RLX or future flagship iteration and there is an opportunity for a comment to the review there WILL be the inevitable 'looks like an Accord' post. These are the ultimate sour grapes people who post not from experience, not from ability to own but only to negate what they cannot or will not ever appreciate. There is no shortage of narrow, superficial people in the world and the internet empowers them to think that anyone else really cares what they think.

Yet BMW, Mercedes and Audi all build cars of the same family styling, (even more so if you ask me) and these geniuses cannot crow loudly enough how wonderful they are.

These people cannot understand that some people like understated, proportioned and simple style and find that sophisticated. Yet these noise makers get heard, more so via web and social media and unfortunately some car companies listen to them, if misguided. We then wind up with the Acura power phlegm grille and the Lexus tortured predator styling of the new RX.

Personally I think the about to be released Accord has too much going on for a family sedan. The current model is, IMHO the best looking Accord yet. The car companies have lost their audience. It should not be the internet trolls....it should be the people that actually buy the car, or would like to.

Flagship cars of this segment are not hot sellers, most due to the simple fact they cost more that the masses shop for. They should not appeal to 20 somethings who aspire for a transformers vehicle. They should appeal to the 50+ crowd who are quieter, more sophisticated, purchase for self and not to trump others and look for inner beauty and depth over flash and verve. And as typical with coping skills challenged youth, they find solace in sour grapes over envy, admiration or goal setting.

(Forgive my long winded reply. I just spent dinner with my 20 something nephew trying to convince him that Kanye West for President is not brilliance.)
You hit the nail on the head! Some of the mind numbing brilliance that ends up as posts really makes me question what our future might look like since their vote counts as much as ours. Bravo my friend.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Welcome to the family! You are going to be very happy especially if you select the Sport Hybrid! I am bias.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
About to be a new RLX owner here.
I read on the TLX forum that things were not going so well with your TLX. I am so sad because you waited MONTHS after initial release to get yours, having ordered it long before release. Are you planning on PAWS or Sport Hybrid? Either would be somewhat a step up.

....a preliminary welcome to the family!
Old 09-28-2015, 12:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
I always appreciate your posts Tampa, but not buying into that last rant of yours. I don't like how Honda/Acura vehicles look very similar (and IMO far more similar than any of the German brands). And IMO, the latest Accord has better styling and appeal than the current Acura cousins...

That said, I certainly don't consider myself in the camp of the "sourgrapes", nor a twenty something. I'm a 30-40 something who likes a bit of excitement and youth in an otherwise doll-drum life of work and responsibility, yet has worked hard enough to be successful enough to afford some of the finer things in life.

And what's with the age-discrimination? Flagship cars should only appeal to 50+ people?? I guess the NSX should only be available for 80 year old arrogant f%&^.

Go drink a beer man.

Last edited by holografique; 09-28-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Well said.

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Welcome to the family! You are going to be very happy especially if you select the Sport Hybrid! I am bias.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I read on the TLX forum that things were not going so well with your TLX. I am so sad because you waited MONTHS after initial release to get yours, having ordered it long before release. Are you planning on PAWS or Sport Hybrid? Either would be somewhat a step up.

....a preliminary welcome to the family!
Thank you. It's the Advanced PAWS model. I was tempted by the Hybrid though.

I am quite disappointed with the whole process I went through with the TLX.. but that is all becoming history.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 05:13 AM
Senior Moderator

I guess I'm an old 47, then, Tampa.

Stew, a 2016? I ask only because I recommend avoiding early build 2014 RLX PAWS cars like the plague, unless recorded problems have been sorted out.

Last edited by neuronbob; 09-28-2015 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I guess I'm an old 47, then, Tampa.

Stew, a 2016? I ask only because I recommend avoiding early build 2014 RLX PAWS cars like the plague, unless recorded problems have been sorted out.
Yes, a 2016. Sorry I left that out. I was torn with going SH-AWD which I don't really need, a Hybrid or Advanced. I haven't done the deal yet and still may try to swing a Hybrid instead. I hear they are so much fun.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:41 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

My opinion is just that. My opinion. And it is never absolute.

But when 20 somethings whine about styling of the car, my thought bubble is: "Typical shallow reaction that will prevent them from ever appreciating the engineering marvel and capability of this car". You need flash and verve? Start saving for the NSX. Leave my flagship exec sedan in the realm of understated realism.

Most simplistic, not only should you not judge a book by it's cover, never berate the content without reading it.

Their loss.

Oh and Bob, tell me you are not just twitchin' to get that AARP card membership.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 09-28-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

But when 20 somethings whine about styling of the car, my thought bubble is: "Typical shallow reaction that will prevent them from ever appreciating the engineering marvel and capability of this car". You need flash and verve? Start saving for the NSX. Leave my flagship exec sedan in the realm of understated realism.
Maybe they do appreciate the engineering marvel of it, but also just want something that's a bit more exciting looking? Why cant we have both? At least that's my stance on it. Just give us options. No reason Acura couldnt have offered a sportier line option to the RLX to add a little more sex appea for those of us who want it. No different than what you can do with an Audi S8, or an S550 coupe.

You want conservative? Go for the regular model. You want sporty? Go for the S-line or Coupe version, but still get to enjoy the same engineering prowess and luxury of the vehicle. Why does it have to be soo one-sided?

Your thought bubble is exactly the type of thinking that I believe has gone on at Acura far too long and what has gotten them into trouble. Just my opinion.

Last edited by holografique; 09-28-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:41 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

holographique,

I am sorry you seem to take my opinion personally. It was never directed at you. You are entitled to feel as you do, but I am not required to feel the same. That does not make me less of a person, needing a beer or insinuate I am obsolete.

However you are asking Acura to make the RLX on par with an S8 that starts at $115K or an $120K S550 coupe? That is unrealistic. But if that is what you desire....buy it and do not buy an RLX. It is that simple.

And on the flip side, as George intended this thread to compare the Accord to the RLX, for those who prefer the Accord, buy it. There is no need to berate the RLX to affirm the choice. I see the root of that being sour grapes mentality. That's my opinion and I stand behind it.

And for the record, I am an uncle, not a grandfather.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
OK, Unk!

For all:
Let's move the verbal sparring a little further from the bleeding edge, eh? I think there was a simple misunderstanding here between two folks.

Last edited by neuronbob; 09-28-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

I feel like you are both right in a way. Acura seems to be traveling down a design path regardless of what we Acura buyers say we want. Forget the neutering of the beak! I say make it even more bold! Frankly I liked the 4G TL and the 3G TL I had before it too. People commented on the 4G "beak" but I thought it made it unique. The 3G was too small in the back seat and the 4G fixed that issue for the most part.

The RL has also seen its share of development over time. It's back seat in the last version was too small for me to be interested in it so I chose the 4G TL for that reason alone at the time. I liked the interior style but the back seat lost me, especially with the premium cost attached. The current version of the RL (RLX) solved the interior space issue which makes it the limo compared to the TLX, but now the corporate interior design is prevalent across the entire line so you might not know what car you are in if you were blind folded and sat in a car without knowing what you were getting into (not good in my opinion). I get why Acura did it, but there are different interiors for every MB and the BMW lines have similarities between them, but they are not almost identical (same goes for Lexus).

So I still really like the understated design of the current RLX, and will buy another one in the future for sure.

I had lunch today with a client and a comment that she made about the car as we were walking back to it from the restaurant was that it looks heavy when approaching it from the front/side perspective. I don't see it, but that was her impression. It was not a complaint because she wants to buy one now.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

However you are asking Acura to make the RLX on par with an S8 that starts at $115K or an $120K S550 coupe? That is unrealistic.

Ugh, first off I'm not sparring, so relax everyone. Geesh. I'm just spoutin off just as Tampa did in his rant against his irrelevant 20-year old cousin for thinking Kanye West for president is a good idea. (irony?) :p

And asking Acura to make the RLX cost on par with the S8/S550 coupe is not what I was referring to. I referenced the Audi S-line and the MB Coupe in terms of giving buyers an option for a sportier "look" to their otherwise conservative flagship vehicles, versus your stance that all flagships should appeal only to 50-year old above people looking for conservative understated styling. You can't sit here and tell me Acura would have had to charge $50k more per vehicle to give the Sport-Hybrid an option to say, choose a sportier front fascia grill/bumber, or sportier aggressive tail design. Or offer a wider choice of sport rims. Instead you get nothing, zilch, nada. Options my friend. That's all I'm saying

And for the record, I am an uncle, not a grandfather.
Ok, gramps ;p And yes, Kanye West for president is a very bad idea. Damn whipper snappers...
Old 09-28-2015, 05:56 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
[QUOTE=holografique;15566758].

And asking Acura to make the RLX cost on par with the S8/S550 coupe is not what I was referring to. I referenced the Audi S-line and the MB Coupe in terms of giving buyers an option for a sportier "look" to their otherwise conservative flagship vehicles, versus your stance that all flagships should appeal only to 50-year old above people looking for conservative understated styling. You can't sit here and tell me Acura would have had to charge $50k more per vehicle to give the Sport-Hybrid an option to say, choose a sportier front fascia grill/bumber, or sportier aggressive tail design. Or offer a wider choice of sport rims. Instead you get nothing, zilch, nada. Options my friend. That's all I'm saying [QUOTE=holografique;15566758]

So my suggestion to Acura [when they interviewed shortly after my Sport Hybrid purchase] was to make the hybrid more distinctive and sportier. I think the buyers of the Sport Hybrid are more likely to desire a sportier look. Also, it is really a very different car than the PAWS. I actually mentioned the "S" badging that Audi uses which distinguishes that line from the basic Audi model. I imagine for cost reasons they will not redesign the Sport Hybrid to be different than the PAWS but to place some more noticeable badging is simpler and less expensive to do. I am looking forward 2017 MMC when we will see how Acura feels about the comments people here and elsewhere have made about the exterior appearance of the RLX.
The following 6 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
holografique (09-30-2015), hondamore (09-28-2015), neuronbob (09-28-2015), pgeorg (09-29-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-28-2015), sooththetruth (09-28-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-28-2015, 07:41 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I'd worry less about the looks and worry more about perceived content and the quality and refinement of that content.

In very gross terms, the 5G is a high quality car.

Body panel fit. Type of lightweight high strength steel, aluminum.

But leather quality could be better, even though it is quite a bit better than any other Acura.

Higher powered processor and some more RAM for the infotainment. Better microphone and better speaker for AcuraLink.

Even without changing the looks of the car, they could aim for a different market if they thought that market was out there.

:-)
The following 3 users liked this post by George Knighton:
Malibu Flyer (09-28-2015), pgeorg (09-29-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I found the negatives in this review to be consistent with some of the analysis of current rlx-sh vs accord touring, when comparing drawbacks. It did not mention the no net power contribution from the electric motors at 80mph+ but I noted a commenter noted that when I read this prior. To me, the looks are one of the selling points.
Also, it is unfair to call people pointing out negatives as an issue when many of them want to buy an Acura, if it met expectations. To highlight this point I will reveal, without details, an Acura resource called it a dud (not specific to SH) and suggested waiting until 2017. I think holigraphique has a right to be critical as he put his trust and time into the brand thinking it would be consistent. I also don't want to take any enjoyment from anybody who enjoys their car. I also note the reviewer noted it grew on them.
Link below. Interested in real owners feedback on the non-look negatives noted, especially compared to an accord touring.

2015 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid Review - Dozens Disappearing In Parking Lots Near You - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

Last edited by flagship; 09-28-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't get this argument. As an 05 RL owner who has and is still considering a new Accord as a replacement, even the LX Accord has several features and even available Honda sensing package for a bargain $1000, than my RL does not have, but there is just no comparison on the drive dynamics. The Accord is a fine car, but will never drive as nice as my RL. That said, I have not driven an EX-L with the V6, but the price makes it a ridiculous option for me. Heck, my '15 CRV has features that my RL does not have.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:48 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by shahram72
I don't get this argument. As an 05 RL owner who has and is still considering a new Accord as a replacement, even the LX Accord has several features and even available Honda sensing package for a bargain $1000, than my RL does not have, but there is just no comparison on the drive dynamics. The Accord is a fine car, but will never drive as nice as my RL. That said, I have not driven an EX-L with the V6, but the price makes it a ridiculous option for me. Heck, my '15 CRV has features that my RL does not have.
Not sure you should compare the features of your 10 yr. old RL to a new model. I also had a '05 RL that I loved but I would expect that a 2015/16 car to have lots of new features, even in a less expensive car. I do agree that the RL was a fun car to drive but the Sport Hybrid is even more fun because it has technology that didn't exist in '05.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shahram72
There is no argument. It is a question.
Also, it would to be the touring model to compare to the advanced.

Last edited by flagship; 09-29-2015 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Why not just compare a Civic with the RLX? j/k

I guess this argument will never end. It constantly comes up in the TLX section, so I guess the flagship is still not that much better in some people's eyes.

Does the Lexus GS350 forums get this compare .. an Avalon with the GS? And to think I thought I was stepping up in class from the TLX when I wasn't.. I should have jumped to the Accord for a true step up? *shrug* and so it goes and goes. I am guessing that those people actually comparing the 2 have never sat in or driven the RLX.

Anyway.. just ignore my short rambling.. carry on
pgeorg (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 05:29 AM
Senior Moderator

I am guessing that those people actually comparing the 2 have never sat in or driven the RLX.
Exactly.

It's a fun little discussion to have, but I've driven both the Accord and RLX. In the real world, there is simply no comparison between the two.
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
hondamore (09-29-2015), pgeorg (09-29-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 06:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George Knighton
In very gross terms, the 5G is a high quality car
You mean the 5G Sport-Hybrid is a high quality car...:|

And yes, I agree with all your suggestions for improvements. Althought I find the leather to be really nice. I'm good with that one.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

I guess this argument will never end. It constantly comes up in the TLX section, so I guess the flagship is still not that much better in some people's eyes.
Exactly...in peoples eyes. My comparisons at least are focused more on the styling being better (IMO) and features being too close to a car that cost $30k more. That's what bothers me and is my point behind this discussion. For a $30k gap in pricing there should be a much wider gap in feature sets, styling and options. Just take a look at the options for the Accord, you can get a much nicer more refined deck lid spoiler for the Accord that integrates nicely into the body design, yet we get this sloppy grotesque deck lid spoiler for the RLX that looks like a cheap tack on. Even Accavatti commented on his dissastifaction behind this very option. I think that says and confirms alot...

It all goes back to my issues with the whole Honda / Acura lack of distinction between the brands. Driving and handling should not be the only thing that provides distinction between a $30k car and a $60k car. Especially when the $30k car has certain aspects that surpass the $60k car. In my eyes its a poor product design strategy and only further adds to their inability to get people more interested in their luxury flagship.

Last edited by holografique; 09-29-2015 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:19 AM
Grandpa

I wonder how much of an investment per car is represented by the P-AWS technology.

If you "get it" and understand that the technology works, you will perceive more value in the TLX and RLX. If you do not buy into the P-AWS idea, then you are more likely to wonder why you should not buy an Accord instead of either Acura
Old 09-29-2015, 08:13 AM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
I wonder how much of an investment per car is represented by the P-AWS technology.

If you "get it" and understand that the technology works, you will perceive more value in the TLX and RLX. If you do not buy into the P-AWS idea, then you are more likely to wonder why you should not buy an Accord instead of either Acura
Consumer Reports has a test they call avoidance maneuver, and rate the FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ONLY Impala better than the RLX with PAWS for this test. Can perform the test at a higher speed. So, at least this one objective test makes PAWS look more like hype. I drove the TLX 4 cylinder and felt the PAWS, no doubt. But in the big RLX the front wheel drive pulling that longer wheel base seemed to negate the benefit.

I wish I could understand the benefit of PAWS if not for fun cornering, and the safety of avoidance maneuvering. It seems (to me) a great idea that has not been executed correctly. I had rear wheel steering on a 1993 Infiniti J30t and really noticed it on on ramps.

The Impala matches the RLX interior space, is rated a better ride (with the old RLX suspension, granted). Really a black eye for Acura given the FAR LOWER PRICE OF THE IMPALA.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:24 AM
Instructor

I am guessing that those people actually comparing the 2 have never sat in or driven the RLX.
I believe you and Bob are incorrect.

Most in this discussion, including the person who started it, have certainly sat in and driven an RLX, and likely SH variant.

Most have likely not yet driven a 2016 touring with the new suspension and 19" rims, auto high beams, apple car play and more, as it is new.

What if anything will they learn? Did you drive the new 2016 touring? Did anybody yet?
Old 09-29-2015, 09:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

I like (and understand) PAWS. But at the end of the day, it makes up maybe 20% of the overall driving experience? At least for me thats where I rate it in terms of engine performance, torque, steering feel, suspension, handling, and overall ride comfort. It certainly makes taking turns much more fun (and manageable), but having fun taking turns in a car is very low in the overall reasons as to why I buy/lease a car. That's where their product strategy between the two brands gets fouled up for me.

I plan to go test drive a 2016 Accord Touring and Coupe in the next couple weeks as I am seriously considering it as a low cost alternative to going for a SH. Im still soured by my whole RLX PAWS experience and rethinking my strategy in high monthly car payments. If the new Accord drives even remotely close to my PAWS RLX, then it will only add insult to injury on my RLX experience to date. I will definitely report back on my test drive. I could very well walk away very dissapointed. All I know is my wifes $30k 2013 ILX Tech drives and handles well and has far better suspension handling than my RLX. So honestly I would not be surprised if I walk away from test driving the Accord feeling impressed...

I can't wait to see the look on the Honda sales rep face when I drive up in my RLX and tell him Im considering a new Accord for next year...

Last edited by holografique; 09-29-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:17 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by sooththetruth
Consumer Reports has a test they call avoidance maneuver, and rate the FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ONLY Impala better than the RLX with PAWS for this test.
Yes. I know. I think the problem is that there is an incremental but perceivable moment that it takes for the rear steering to take a proper set.

Some of this is processing time, and some of it is dialed in to avoid an overcorrection.

The idea behind P-AWS is to flatten the handling, and to reduce understeer.

In a test that does not involve a rapid switchback, the results might be different because the 2nd delay in P-AWS would be eliminated.

General Motors did a very good job with the newest generation of Impala, I think. I don't want to pretend that I don't appreciate that. It's a pretty good buy, and because it shares the same chassis as the Cadillac XTS, it can be the right solution for people who need a certain amount of room in a vehicle without having to move to an SUV or Odyssey.

I also don't want to appear to have turned into an apologist for P-AWS, but it wasn't designed for a Consumer Reports switchback test. :-) Different missions for different cars, even if they are about the same size.

Consumer Reports will say, why buy an RLX when the Impala does it all?

Well, the Impala doesn't really do it all that the RLX does, if you appreciate the RLX Advance model. Different missions.

But as far as the excellent design of the Impala, all I can say is that I "get it" and understand.
The following 5 users liked this post by George Knighton:
neuronbob (09-29-2015), pgeorg (09-29-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-05-2015), sooththetruth (09-29-2015), wstr75 (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 09:21 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by flagship
Most have likely not yet driven a 2016 touring with the new suspension and 19" rims, auto high beams, apple car play and more, as it is new.

What if anything will they learn? Did you drive the new 2016 touring? Did anybody yet?
Yes. I did, actually, around Baltimore.

All I can say is that Honda's hitting on all cylinders with this. Any Honda person is going to love it, even if it's not the right car for a particular person at this time.

It just does everything credibly, even if it doesn't do everything excellently.

It's just a wonderful sedan compromise.

As people are doing with the Impala, I can very well see how someone might opt for this cheaper Accord that does it all well instead of springing for something more expensive.

Great content for the money. Wonderful. Better content than the two year old RLX has, arguably.

But, it's still a high HP front wheel drive car, with all of the problems that brings with it, problems that P-AWS was supposed to help solve.
pgeorg (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 09:26 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by holografique
I plan to go test drive a 2016 Accord Touring and Coupe....
Step back from Touring, to the short wheelbase Accord 6-6 EX-L Coupe, and it'll be a fun thing to drive.

You won't have all the features, and you won't have all the color choices.

But what you will have is a lot of fun. :-)

As Brian Cooley said, "I don't know why they build this. But I'm sure glad they do."

You won't be able to get any kind of 6-6 from Honda much longer. They don't make sense any longer. The automatics are too good.
The following 5 users liked this post by George Knighton:
holografique (09-30-2015), pgeorg (09-29-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-05-2015), sooththetruth (09-29-2015), wstr75 (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the tip. I will def try out the 6-6 coupe as well. But honestly I think I'm done with manual transmissions. My 06 TL was my last manual, and while I loved it, I'm enjoying the automatic in the RLX and the reduced fatigue of daily driving in a manual, but still having controls for more spirited driving when I need/want to.

I will say I sorta wish they had gone the electronic shifter approach like BMW did whereby its all electronic (like the TLX, MDX and Sport-Hybrid), but you still have a physical stick to shift gears versus paddles on the steering wheel. I honestly prefer the "feel" of having one hand on the wheel and the other engaging a stick. Gives more of an aggressive fighter pilot feeling to driving the car.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator

An official welcome to the family for Stew, since he's posted in the owners' thread. Enjoy your new RLX in good health! Further, good sense to wait until the 2016, with all its features. Hopefully, you got a good deal!
Stew4HD (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 07:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I actually mentioned the "S" badging that Audi uses which distinguishes that line from the basic Audi model.
Exactly this. And I should have used the A6, 5-series, E-class, and GS as better examples of cars that are much more in line with the RLX in terms of price, features, size, etc, yet they all have classy and sporty variants that give you both performance and visual options to choose from.

Last edited by holografique; 09-30-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

update: saw a new 2016 Accord Coupe on my way back from Moultrie today. Just like this one...

Great road-presence. Great looking car. My wife flat out said "that's a hot looking car".

When I think about all the back-n-forth about Acura exterior designs, I think it all comes down to this: Acura needs to get the word "hot" back into the descriptive terms of some of their vehicle designs...and not just the NSX...
The following 3 users liked this post by holografique:
Malibu Flyer (10-06-2015), MisterZDX (10-05-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

I saw one of these (BMW 650i X-Drive) today and felt compelled to look into it more. Maybe Acura could capture some of these design lines? The front view does nothing for me, but the side and rear angles are very attractive.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
I saw one of these (BMW 650i X-Drive) today and felt compelled to look into it more. Maybe Acura could capture some of these design lines? The front view does nothing for me, but the side and rear angles are very attractive.

Ive seen quite a few of those here in Hotlanta, and it (along with the 4-series) are sexy as hell. If you like the 6-series you should check out the 4-series Gran Coupe, which carries all of the sexy sport appeal of the 4-series exterior styling in a 4-door variant.

IMO, BMW (like Honda) is also firing on all cylinders with their recent exterior designs. They nailed the right blend of minimal conservative luxury with a visceral sex appeal and atheletic sportiness across the entire series. The 7-series is about the only one that is still more slanted to the 50 year old and up club ;p

Last edited by holografique; 10-05-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by holografique
Ive seen quite a few of those here in Hotlanta, and it (along with the 4-series) are sexy as hell. If you like the 6-series you should check out the 4-series Gran Coupe, which carries all of the sexy sport appeal of the 4-series exterior styling in a 4-door variant.

IMO, BMW (like Honda) is also firing on all cylinders with their recent exterior designs. They nailed the right blend of minimal conservative luxury with a visceral sex appeal and atheletic sportiness across the entire series. The 7-series is about the only one that is still more slanted to the 50 year old and up club ;p
I think the low and wide sleek look is more luxurious than the sitting up high and bulky look that some cars display. Tesla has that combination too, and so does Audi. Even the new VW Passat has it. I would like to see Acura styling flow in that direction if possible. Even just exterior sheet metal creases could help without changing other dynamics for crash worthy issues. A more defined style line going down the length of the car would help dramatically. The 4G TL had the front wheel arches to look like the center of the car was lower than it actually was (my impression). I think Mazda has styling cues like that too. Just an opinion from an older guy.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:09 PM
Senior Moderator

I love the 650's look as well. One of my colleagues has one. It's one of the sexiest cars in the parking lot.

However: with decent wheels on, the RLX's character completely changes. I am really liking the clean, athletic look my car has now.

Quick Reply: 2016: RLX v. Accord (!?)