2014 RLX Advance - The most frustrating car I've ever owned

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 04:07 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
It seems to me the only problem you're really having is the display issue.

The traffic will almost always take a few minutes to start displaying. That's the nature of the beast, and the way it happens with XM and other traffic/nav interfaces.

This must be the first car you've had with rain-sensing wipers. I've had 4 or 5 in several brands of cars, and they all work like you describe ... sometimes they'll let the windshield get completely obscured before wiping, and at other times they'll wipe more often than you'd like. That's the reason I really prefer manual control. Hint - it has something to do with the droplet size: the "eye" doesn't pick up fine mist as well as it does big drops, so it might not activate even when the windshield is completely covered in fine mist. If yours really has a bad sensor, so be it, but i doubt you'll ever see the wipers work 100% to your satisfaction. that's why there's a manual mode.

IMO, there is something wrong with your head unit that causes it to blank out or be slow in displaying. I'd have another dealer concentrate on that if I were you.

EDIT: I see they're replacing the head unit. That should fix it.

Last edited by Mike_TX; 01-31-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:44 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
It seems to me the only problem you're really having is the display issue.

The traffic will almost always take a few minutes to start displaying. That's the nature of the beast, and the way it happens with XM and other traffic/nav interfaces.

This must be the first car you've had with rain-sensing wipers. I've had 4 or 5 in several brands of cars, and they all work like you describe ... sometimes they'll let the windshield get completely obscured before wiping, and at other times they'll wipe more often than you'd like. That's the reason I really prefer manual control. Hint - it has something to do with the droplet size: the "eye" doesn't pick up fine mist as well as it does big drops, so it might not activate even when the windshield is completely covered in fine mist. If yours really has a bad sensor, so be it, but i doubt you'll ever see the wipers work 100% to your satisfaction. that's why there's a manual mode.

IMO, there is something wrong with your head unit that causes it to blank out or be slow in displaying. I'd have another dealer concentrate on that if I were you.

EDIT: I see they're replacing the head unit. That should fix it.

The problems have increased SIGNIFICANTLY after they replaced the Nav Unit. See for yourself

I encourage anyone else having problems like this to document them and take them up with the dealership and Acura directly.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
mbar...I have to applaud you for taking the time to document your problems and uploading your videos to put the pressure to have your problem resolved. These issues are so not the Acura way...
The following users liked this post:
mbar172 (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 06:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mbar172
The excuse of "wait for the next model year" is unacceptable. I did not pay $60k to be a beta tester for Acura.
Trust me, I'm not trying to antagonize you, but that's exactly what you did. You bought a first model year of a new car with new technology. Acura's track record here (see the 2005 RL, which I owned and dumped for a nearly trouble-free 2006 RL) is not stellar. It's one of the reasons why I left the brand. I needed a new car and was unwilling to wait for the Hybrid RLX as I wasn't going to spend that kind of $ on new, unproven technology.

That said, you either have a bad head unit or a lemon. I see that later on you say that your problems have increased following a "new nav unit". What exactly did they replace?
Old 01-31-2014, 09:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
It is typical that new vehicles, especially flagships, will have numerous issues when released. This goes for every manufacturer. I too had multiple "12 volt charging system issue" message and they programmed my vehicle due to changes in software. So far so good and no messages appear and no longer having any glitches on my screen. Yeah it can be frustrating but it happens all the time. The more technology put in these vehicles the more glitches.

I still would pick this vehicle over any similarly priced European car.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:42 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I don't have much to say about this because my car is performing wonderfully.

But there seems to be a trend to mitigate the original poster's issues. I'm not sure that's fair.

If he's not happy, he's not happy.

I dissent from the view that he should have had anything other than a reasonable expectation that his car should perform as advertised and as represented by the dealer, and he has every right to be satisfied.

From my perspective, I am very surprised because of how well my car performs...but then again, my car is #6893 and is probably a couple of thousand units beyond his.

Whether it's typical or not, whether or not he's learned a lesson from this, he still has a right to be satisfied with his purchase.

Considering the car's raison d'être, the navigation problem is mission critical and should be addressed in a definitive way, whether or not we can explain most of the other issues as a matter of opinion or matter of perspective.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:49 AM
Grandpa

6. When utilizing bluetooth audio for Pandora or iPod from my phone, the Album art is visible about 3 out of 10 times. Sometimes, I have to physically pause and restart the music for the artwork to appear. Other times I have to plug in the phone through USB and quickly unplug it to “trick” the system into displaying the artwork. I recently borrowed my sister’s RDX and tested her bluetooth audio and the artwork was visible at all times without error during the week I used the car.

7. Sometimes the car connects to bluetooth audio when starting and sometimes it does not. I would say about 5 out of 10 times I have to physically connect my phone with USB and then unplug in order for the car to start playing music. This is separate from the album art issue listed above.
First off, if they had it to do over again, they would probably spend an extra 10.00 per vehicle on a little more RAM.

But the main issue is proprietary interface negotiations between your Bluetooth device and the RLX.

The two interfaces are probably not trusting each other instantly, and the security related delay is causing you to experience what you are experiencing. Unfortunately, short of changing what device you are using I am not sure there is a way around this.

The smartphone industry changes too quickly for anybody to keep up with.

My usual carry device is an iPhone 5S. Although I am not completely satisfied with how quickly it interfaces with the RLX, I can deal with it and do not find it to be a mission critical issue.

If I've left the car in a way that causes the phone interface to be active on the main screen the next time I start using the car, the Bluetooth negotiation delay is exaggerated. It takes a while for the two Bluetooth devices to see each other, go to full power and negotiate securely and sometimes we demand more of it than the interface is capable of.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:53 AM
Grandpa

Three of your complaints are not a matter of opinion and there is every indication that there is a power supply problem that the dealer has yet to find, something that isn't fit correctly or that is faulty in the power supply to the display units in the centre stack.

The dealer needs to spend more time finding that. It's there and they just haven't dug deeply enough.

If they cannot find it then Regional needs to get involved to solve your problem in a definitive way, and they need to give you an equivalent RLX to drive as long as they are looking for this power supply problem, or they need to suck it up and exchange your car, like for like, and go on with life.

They will be far better off taking the few thousand in depreciation for your current RLX. If you have to keep talking about this, it's going to cost them a lot more than that.

My comments assume, of course, that you are not a shill for a competing brand, or a troll, and that your comments to us here are straight and on the money.

No offense intended. Just covering the bases. :-)
Old 02-01-2014, 09:06 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by dwboston
Trust me, I'm not trying to antagonize you, but that's exactly what you did. You bought a first model year of a new car with new technology. Acura's track record here (see the 2005 RL, which I owned and dumped for a nearly trouble-free 2006 RL) is not stellar. It's one of the reasons why I left the brand. I needed a new car and was unwilling to wait for the Hybrid RLX as I wasn't going to spend that kind of $ on new, unproven technology.

That said, you either have a bad head unit or a lemon. I see that later on you say that your problems have increased following a "new nav unit". What exactly did they replace?
They replaced what they termed the "entire navigation computer", a $4500 part.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with your viewpoint here. Unfortunately I do not compromise in my personal or professional life. "Good not Great" mediocrity is not acceptable in my book. I work hard for my money and I choose to spend it on quality purchases. Unfortunately this has been anything but quality.

Regarding the sentiment that I may not be an actual "owner" of the vehicle, please watch the videos and you can see for yourself.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Grandpa

Regarding the sentiment that I may not be an actual "owner" of the vehicle....
It is not my honestly held belief; however, I am sure you will forgive people for covering the bases with a statement that assumes [sic] that you are not a shill.

:-)

The videos are not showing up for me, by the way.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Grandpa

Not Found

The requested URL /forums/<div style= was not found on this server.

Apache Server at rl.acurazine.com Port 80
Can you upload them to Youtube or something to which we'd have normal access?

I'd love to be able to see exactly what you're talking about. It would also aid anyone who's watching on behalf of the company.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Grandpa

If you take the URL out of his post, you can see his videos on Youtube.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Grandpa

Ummm..... Yeah, they need to give you a new car. That's too much going wrong.

That video is likely a sign of a major power connectivity issue that is unique and it's no wonder the dealer can't find it. Replacing an expensive navigation assembly is not necessarily going to help because the fault is ahead of that assembly and contributes to the other issues.

It's likely a complete part of the wiring harness that is faulty. It would take too long to find.

You should not be having to deal with this stuff for this long.

Although it would present a significant loss for the Region, they should address this more directly and take care of you by letting you keep a different RLX Advance of a recent manufacture.

Do you mind telling us the last five numbers of your chassis? E.g., mine is 06893.

Last edited by George Knighton; 02-01-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
They replaced what they termed the "entire navigation computer", a $4500 part.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with your viewpoint here. Unfortunately I do not compromise in my personal or professional life. "Good not Great" mediocrity is not acceptable in my book. I work hard for my money and I choose to spend it on quality purchases. Unfortunately this has been anything but quality.

Regarding the sentiment that I may not be an actual "owner" of the vehicle, please watch the videos and you can see for yourself.
I'm sorry, but some of what you say makes no sense. You refuse to compromise in your personal or professional life, but you bought a first model year of a new car with new technology, and you're suprised/dismayed there are growing pains? You should have done more research. The first model year of the previous generation RL was a bit of a mess, especially with the electronics. A little searching around this forum would have revealed that to you. Best of luck with your RLX.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Grandpa

I'm going to list all of this guy's videos because I think that the quote syntax error probably caused most of us not to really look at them.

The charging system error is a known issue that is endemic. If you use a phone that causes this problem, then they can flash the system to get it to go away and never come back. In my case, there is a particular odd sequence of events that can provoke it and it comes from a combination of an iPhone A7 chip used with an uncertified DC-to-USB converter.

I just stopped doing the thing caused it and I don't really even need the flash.

The automatic wipers...they're never going to do what you want, I don't think. I'm satisfied with mine, but they're not perfect.

The seat belt...they need to pop the trim off and replace that.

But the majority of your issues seem to me to indicate a fault in the wiring harness, a fault that is going to be difficult to trace and they might as well give you a different car, considering everything you've gone through so far.

I'm glad I went and got these videos, because now I understand.

Last edited by George Knighton; 02-01-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:04 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I'm with George - all those electronic errors are probably emanating from a single source, and the charging error should be a big clue to the technicians.

A LOT of modern cars with loads of electronics start sowing weird symptoms when either the charging system or the battery itself is weak. I ran into that with a 2011 Infiniti M56, as did many others.

It may seem strange, but a single module controls all kinds of things that may seem unrelated. The Body Control Module, for instance, may control the windshield wipers and the power seats, as well as the air bags and the nav system. (Just an example.)

While it seems like you have a bunch of separate problems going on, I suspect you actually have either:

- a bad charging system controller (or maybe even a bad battery), or

- more likely, a faulty control module somewhere

Your main problem, though, is that you have a dealer tech who can't track down the faulty part or parts.

Get thee to another dealer, or hound Acura until they send a senior tech or factory tech to analyze the problem.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:33 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Wow! You got a big time lemon.
They have to give you a totally brand new car in this case. No doubt.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
An Acura lemon is rare. It's more than early build issues. Looks like you got one with electrical issues. You really need to hound Acura on this one. They really expect you to live with this stuff?
Old 02-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
mbar172:
Did you have the audio and navigation unit software update performed, per TSB 13-008?

TSB 13-008 - Product Update: 2014 RLX Audio-Navigation Unit Software Update
Applies To: 2014 RLX - Check the iN VIN status for eligibility
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B13-008.PDF

Given they replaced your navigation unit, perhaps they did not perform the software update on the new unit?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:17 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
mbar172 looks like you are in Chicagoland area. Which dealer did you got it from?
Old 02-03-2014, 02:17 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo
mbar172 looks like you are in Chicagoland area. Which dealer did you got it from?
McGrath Acura of Downtown Chicago.

I've gone through all the troubleshooting and repair steps Acura recommended. The dealership has done their part in being a conduit with the manufacturer. Unfortunately, I still have a significant number of issues that currently have no resolution. After speaking with a rep from corporate, I was offered a financial settlement to turn the car in to the dealership and Acura would reimburse me for the negative equity. Now I'm being told this is no longer an option. I guess I should have known better than to trust a company that lacks integrity and doesn't stand behind their product.

The next step for me is to pursue a lemon law claim. As consumers we are offered protective rights in the event a manufacturer is unable to repair a faulty vehicle. I encourage any of you with similar issues to educate yourselves on your local lemon laws and exercise your rights.

It's unfortunate it has to come to this, but I cannot live with this vehicle, especially since it's my only mode of transportation.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Update?

McGrath Acura of Downtown Chicago.

I've gone through all the troubleshooting and repair steps Acura recommended. The dealership has done their part in being a conduit with the manufacturer. Unfortunately, I still have a significant number of issues that currently have no resolution. After speaking with a rep from corporate, I was offered a financial settlement to turn the car in to the dealership and Acura would reimburse me for the negative equity. Now I'm being told this is no longer an option. I guess I should have known better than to trust a company that lacks integrity and doesn't stand behind their product.

The next step for me is to pursue a lemon law claim. As consumers we are offered protective rights in the event a manufacturer is unable to repair a faulty vehicle. I encourage any of you with similar issues to educate yourselves on your local lemon laws and exercise your rights.

It's unfortunate it has to come to this, but I cannot live with this vehicle, especially since it's my only mode of transportation.
Wondering if you have had any luck in proceeding getting your car repaired. Mine is back in the shop AGAIN. I think dealer is trying their best but they have no clue or answers from the manufacturer.

A lot of these issues come back to how much we want to put up with. I have driven Acura for 15+ years and many Honda Products along the way. A big flagship that I waited for has completely disappointed me.

AcuraLink hasn't worked for two weeks, so Many gremlins and glitches in the Nav/Audio/Everything screens are ridiculous. Stopping the car and restarting to reset is not a viable answer.