Tire Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2020 | 10:03 AM
Intermediate

Tire Upgrade

I don't care much for the tires my 2019 RDX came with, CrossContact LX Sport. I'm looking for a pair that gives me the least road noise and is reliable in all weather(I'm from Canada). I have my eyes on the Pirelli SCORPION™ VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS II. Anyone have them on their whip? Or any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Old 10-17-2020 | 01:40 PM
Pro

Michelin Cross Climate SUV

I got the Michelin Cross Climate SUV tires in 255/45/20.

Very pleased so far. They’re not the quietest tire out there but, they do have the 3-peak mountain/snowflake symbol.

Handling and grip are both excellent. The only downside is the high price. The 19 inchers are not as expensive, however.
Old 10-17-2020 | 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

My Lincoln also came with Cross Contact LX Sport tires. This vehicle is sound deadened to the max and I still find the tires noisy on most road surfaces. They also get abysmal reviews on Tire Rack. My research has also lead me to the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II. I think they would make a great choice to use on your RDX.
Old 10-19-2020 | 01:06 AM
Instructor

Check out the Continental Extreme DWS 06 tires. Use them on the RDX and my Volvo XC90 even in Sierra snow. Very nice all around tire, check the Tire Rack reviews.
The following users liked this post:
NBPDC505 (11-13-2020)
Old 10-19-2020 | 06:42 AM
Intermediate

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all the feedback.
Old 10-19-2020 | 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

If you're looking for a tire that's legitimately useful in all weather conditions the other option to consider is the Nokian WRG4 from Kal Tire. Pretty much the best 4 season tire out there (same class as the Cross Climate2).
Old 10-19-2020 | 11:19 AM
Intermediate

I went ahead and ordered the Scorpion Verde's...I will give you guys an update after I put them on. My main requirement was to get a quiet/comfortable ride...I consider myself a very careful driver, so decent winter performance is good enough; I feel a set of "All Weathers" would have been overkill for my needs.
Old 10-19-2020 | 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hidrosmen
I went ahead and ordered the Scorpion Verde's...I will give you guys an update after I put them on. My main requirement was to get a quiet/comfortable ride...I consider myself a very careful driver, so decent winter performance is good enough; I feel a set of "All Weathers" would have been overkill for my needs.
I'm looking forward to your first impressions.
Old 10-19-2020 | 04:18 PM
Cruisin'

I put the Pirelli SCORPION™ VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS II on at around 2000 miles. I now have 5000 miles. I love the tires! Quiet and great handling. Much harder to spin on takeoff than the CrossContacts. I've not had the misfortune to try them in the ice and snow.

The only minor gripe I had was the mold release Pirelli uses. The stuff looks bad and it's impossible to get off. It's finally wearing off.

Last edited by SilverRDX2017; 10-19-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2020 | 02:57 PM
Racer

I'm also interested in your thoughts after you get your new tires.
Our local Costco tire shop recommended the Michelin Premier LTX DT All Season tires for a quiet ride. We've had them for a few weeks now and in all honesty, I can't say we notice any difference in the road noise.
Old 10-20-2020 | 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GW208
I'm also interested in your thoughts after you get your new tires.
Our local Costco tire shop recommended the Michelin Premier LTX DT All Season tires for a quiet ride. We've had them for a few weeks now and in all honesty, I can't say we notice any difference in the road noise.
Tire Rack rates the Pirelli at 9.2 for noise and the Michelin at 8.6 which is still very good compared to others. The reviews on Tire Rack are your best source for information. Costco not so much.
Ih8honda (04-13-2021)
Old 10-20-2020 | 11:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Like others said, you will likely be happy with the tires. I have the older version (AS+ revised compound) on another car and they have to be one of the best all-around SUV tires. They have amazing dry/wet grip for the class. Light snow grip is decent as well, just be gentle on brake and don't get too confident. They are quiet and only get marginally louder when reaching over-50% wear. They are comfortable but at the same time provide strong support pushed. They seem durable, though I do not keep track of the mileage. The best thing is probably the consistency throughout the lifetime - everything degrades linearly, and there is no sudden drop in every aspect of performance. These tires are truly black magic.

Last edited by sonyfever; 10-20-2020 at 11:24 PM.
hand-filer (10-21-2020)
Old 10-25-2020 | 07:01 AM
Intermediate

Coming back with my first impressions, since I had the tires installed yesterday. Road noise is definitely less than on the OEM tires. The engine can be heard more clearly at both high and low speeds. Dry performance also seems to be better. I pushed it a bit on my regular joy rides. Turns at a speed where the Continentals started slipping, is not happening. They feel very planted.

Will be coming back for rain/snow driving impressions, as winter is around the corner here in Canada.
GW208 (10-25-2020)
Old 10-28-2020 | 11:43 PM
Racer

As posted elsewhere somewhere around here, I went with Michelin PilotSport 3 AS+ and absolutely love them. I have an A-Spec so they are 20” and I went up a size before the Eibach lowering springs were available to fill in some of the wheel well arch. Well, now with the Eibach Springs lowering it 1.2-1.5” and the larger tires it looks amazing and handles like I wanted it to.

I am driving a 2020 RDX Tech as a loaner for a couple days, and the Continental tires on it are really loud and rough, and don’t have anywhere near the grip that my Michelins have. I buy my tires from Discount Tire because of the excellent service, free rotations and balancing and the “certificates” for tire replacement for an non-repairable damage to the tire....well, I probably have a dedicated server at the company (OK, I exaggerate) and I find the same customer service attitude everywhere I go. I know they don’t pay their techs much, but they sure do hustle and lately are much more accurate in wheel balancing (better equipment helps).
The following 2 users liked this post by Padre Dave:
Discount Tire (10-29-2020), NBPDC505 (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020 | 06:06 AM
Intermediate

I spoke too early on the Scorpion Verdes....the car did not drive the same at highway speeds. It felt bouncy and not as stable as OE. After 3 rebalancings with no success, the dealer finally figured out two of the tires were a bit runout. Don't know if that was the reason for the issues. I decided to upgrade to the Scorpion Zero All Season Plus and so far i'm extremely happy. The car feels more planted..as if its running on train tracks

Also, Pirelli has a 30 day trial period for select tires, where you can exchange them for another set, no questions asked.
sonyfever (11-13-2020)
Old 12-21-2020 | 09:42 PM
8th Gear

Thumbs down 2021 rdx sh-awd

I just picked up the new 2021 RDX with the Advanced Package and SH-AWD. What's up that road noise? CrossContact LX Sport tires are ridiculously loud. I did not notice the noise on the test drive with a 2020 model, so I'm hoping that better tires will solve the problem.
Old 12-21-2020 | 10:50 PM
Be the Best Be Great

See:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...cement-989019/
Old 12-29-2020 | 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ted Mingolla
I just picked up the new 2021 RDX with the Advanced Package and SH-AWD. What's up that road noise? CrossContact LX Sport tires are ridiculously loud. I did not notice the noise on the test drive with a 2020 model, so I'm hoping that better tires will solve the problem.
My ASpec came with Goodyear Eagle RSAs, and the noise is minimal. I would suggest them. Great grip in dry, wet and snow (for now until I get a winter setup for next year). Once I end up with a summer set and winter set, I’ve always loved Yokos or Pirellis for summer and Blizzaks or XIces for winter.
Old 01-03-2021 | 09:57 AM
RDX ILX TSX

Originally Posted by TimmyB83
My ASpec came with Goodyear Eagle RSAs, and the noise is minimal. I would suggest them. Great grip in dry, wet and snow (for now until I get a winter setup for next year). Once I end up with a summer set and winter set, I’ve always loved Yokos or Pirellis for summer and Blizzaks or XIces for winter.
Cool. I was wondering about the ASpec Goodyears as I've never owned the brand. I almost upgraded my Advance to the same tire but with the standard 19" rim because I loved the profile of the Goodyear.

I've already posted my impression of the Mich X-Ice which were installed for Winter. Incredible dampening of road noise, it's almost non-existent but it does make for a more floaty ride. The way I test noise levels in the cabin is based on how high I need to turn up the music volume on the ELS. My OEM Conti's on a typical patch of freeway, the volume is usually at 10+ for decent listening. On the same patch of freeway with the Michs the volume is now turned down to 4-6 with decent listening. (but I still like to turn it up anyway!)

JB in AZ (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021 | 10:22 AM
Burning Brakes

FWIW, the Eagle RS-A on the A-Spec is otherwise total garbage as a tire: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=HPAS - High performance all season tires is not exactly a class of tires that's particularly competitive and it does terribly in the wet and snow but hangs in there for comfort. My winters (Continental TS850P) are much better in every condition than the Goodyear.
Old 01-03-2021 | 11:22 AM
RDX ILX TSX

Originally Posted by supafamous
FWIW, the Eagle RS-A on the A-Spec is otherwise total garbage as a tire: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=HPAS - High performance all season tires is not exactly a class of tires that's particularly competitive and it does terribly in the wet and snow but hangs in there for comfort. My winters (Continental TS850P) are much better in every condition than the Goodyear.
Supa what summer tires are you using on your matt bronze wheels?
Old 01-03-2021 | 01:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vince D
Supa what summer tires are you using on your matt bronze wheels?
The matte bronze wheels are actually my winters and they're the ones with the Continental TS850P winter tires. Come spring I'm going to order in a set of 20" Enkei TSR-X in Bronze with probably Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. The alternative tires I'm considering are the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate or the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 though neither are available in the size that fits right now. I've run the DWS06 on my TSX and like it a lot and it's 2lbs lighter than the Goodyear or Michelin.
Old 01-03-2021 | 03:44 PM
RDX ILX TSX

The matte bronze wheels are actually my winters and they're the ones with the Continental TS850P winter tires. Come spring I'm going to order in a set of 20" Enkei TSR-X in Bronze with probably Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. The alternative tires I'm considering are the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate or the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 though neither are available in the size that fits right now. I've run the DWS06 on my TSX and like it a lot and it's 2lbs lighter than the Goodyear or Michelin.
Copy that. We seem to have the same taste in wheels / tires so I'm laying the groundwork for spring with Enkei bronze matte as well and haven't decided on the tire yet. Whatever you decide - send pics! On my TSX I'm running Toyo Proxes 4 Plus in summer and Blizzacks in winter. Decent tires for both...
Old 01-23-2021 | 01:10 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Padre Dave
I have an A-Spec so they are 20” and I went up a size before the Eibach lowering springs were available to fill in some of the wheel well arch.
So you put 265s on yours? I’m wondering if the 265/r19 will fit on a Tech. The diameter is only 1/4 taller so the speedo is fine.
Old 01-23-2021 | 08:28 PM
Racer

I'm in a warmer area (Virginia), but I've been satisfied with the Eagle RS-A's on my A-Spec. Been a very rainy winter so far and they're quite nice in the wet. But I only have 3k miles on them, so perhaps I'm still in a honeymoon period.

Fwiw, I've nearly lost all faith in TireRack ratings over the years. Just too many stupid car owners who think the tire model is to blame for their harsh/noisy low-profile tires, or who think all-seasons means any weather, or who don't understand that concrete (vs. blacktop) highways will make any tire noisy, or who refuse to believe that their bad driving habits are why they get poor tread-life. TireRack also combines ratings for all sizes of the tire, so the results will be biased toward the most common size offered and I gotta believe the RDX's 255/45R20 will drive much different than the sizes made for a stupid Scion or Corolla. My concerns also apply to other publications that test tires, because they often use something like a BMW sedan as their mule.

Last edited by jmhumr; 01-23-2021 at 08:31 PM.