Eibach lowering springs now available!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 58 Posts
Talking Eibach lowering springs now available!

The long wait is over, Eibach just posted their lowering springs for the RDX. They show it for AWD A-Spec but I do not think there is any difference in suspension except for Advance which has the active shocks. $269 for the kit.

Eibach RDX Lowering Spring Kit
The following users liked this post:
MrmissmyTLX (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
Finally!

Was anyone a tester for these? Any comments on how well they work and the impact to ride quality? I'm really interested but am mindful of the impact to ride quality.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:05 PM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
Awesome! I ordered my set just now. Pics to follow when they are installled!
The following 2 users liked this post by Padre Dave:
MrmissmyTLX (06-01-2020), sonyfever (06-10-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Once ours arrives and get installed I will be sure to post feedback. Could be a race between me and Padre Dave it looks like to see who posts the first review.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:22 AM
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts
I’d like to know why they wouldn’t work with base, Tech, and Advance models.
is it possible that A-Spec has different spring perches?

Tire Rack also only lists them for A-Spec SH-AWD but, not available until 7/24.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Here is my take on it, they are listing the A-spec SH-AWD since that is the model Eibach used for testing. All we have to do to confirm it works on other models is check if the suspension is the same. The only difference I am aware of is the Advance model using the active dampers which means it may not be compatible. The other question is for FWD versions, if someone who has access to a system that shows the factory spring part numbers can check if they are the same through the various models then we should be good.

I am willing to test for a Tech SH-AWD since that is what we have.
catbert430 (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 11:51 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by WunderWagen

I am willing to test for a Tech SH-AWD since that is what we have.
You are a gentleman and a scholar.
I’ll be watching this space with bated breath.

I always used Eibach Pro Kit on my Passats and Accords and would love to have them on my RDX Tech SH-AWD.

THANKS!
Old 06-07-2020, 02:30 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
The rear springs for A-spec are a different part than for other trims. I know this from sifting through the part listings on oemacuraparts.com ( that's a hint... ).

Having said that, I don't recall that the shocks are different, except for adaptive shocks on Advance.

Beats me why anyone would pay extra money for a lifted car, and then spend more extra money to lower it, but that's just me.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wander
The rear springs for A-spec are a different part than for other trims. I know this from sifting through the part listings on oemacuraparts.com ( that's a hint... ).

Having said that, I don't recall that the shocks are different, except for adaptive shocks on Advance.

Beats me why anyone would pay extra money for a lifted car, and then spend more extra money to lower it, but that's just me.
If I could have gotten a wagon I would have but there's next to nothing out there right now as I didn't want a lifted car in the first place. Lowering it closes the unsightly wheel gap, makes it easier for short folks like my wife and I (and our parents) to get into the car, and helps a wee bit in reducing the nausea my wife experiences while riding high.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:15 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by supafamous
If I could have gotten a wagon I would have but there's next to nothing out there right now as I didn't want a lifted car in the first place. Lowering it closes the unsightly wheel gap, makes it easier for short folks like my wife and I (and our parents) to get into the car, and helps a wee bit in reducing the nausea my wife experiences while riding high.
"Wheel gap" is the consequence of giving a crossover or SUV room inside the wheel wells to deal with winter slush and/or mud, and also increased suspension travel for mild off-roading or "soft-roading" ( gravel roads and unimproved forest service roads ). Making a style-driven choice to reduce the clearance will reduce those capabilities, but it won't make a crossover handle like an exotic car.

Whether this kind of lowering will reduce the rolling and pitching motions that are partially responsible for motion sickness really depends upon the stiffness of the springs, since the shock absorbers and sway bars will stay the same. And that will come at the expense of ride comfort if they are stiffer. Adaptive shock absorbers help, but at added expense and they aren't typically an aftermarket option.

BTW, the best preventative for motion sickness is to maintain a good view of the horizon. And the best way to do that is for the susceptible person to drive the vehicle. Which means I have to let my wife drive sometimes.

But there are worse things.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:05 PM
Pro

One of the primary reasons I traded a TLX for the RDX was because it was too low for my increasingly creaky old body. I thought the RDX was a bit too high for me and thought that a 1.2 - 1.5" drop might be perfect.
I'm not interested, however, in hardening the ride or in reducing the utility.

There's another thread where someone is looking for a lift kit.
Different strokes for different folks.

I've decided to accept the fact that the suspension engineers at Acura spent a great deal of time and energy to create the optimal balance. They know a lot more than I do so I'll leave well enough alone.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:45 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
how will lowering the RDX with lowering springs affect the automated adjustable struts?
Old 06-08-2020, 09:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by lil12002
how will lowering the RDX with lowering springs affect the automated adjustable struts?

Good question, without an obvious answer.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wander
"Wheel gap" is the consequence of giving a crossover or SUV room inside the wheel wells to deal with winter slush and/or mud, and also increased suspension travel for mild off-roading or "soft-roading" ( gravel roads and unimproved forest service roads ). Making a style-driven choice to reduce the clearance will reduce those capabilities, but it won't make a crossover handle like an exotic car.
I have no need for any "soft-roading" and rare is any crossover actually used for that purpose - almost all of them are used at shopping malls.

As for wheel gap - that's just not true. Mud and slush doesn't get thicker by virtue of a car getting taller. Some of these cars are deliberately raised higher in order to qualify as "trucks" per the EPA so their fuel mileage requirements are different - the CX-30 and the Mercedes GLB both do this. Other crossovers like the Macan and Cayenne (Porsches of course) don't have significant wheel gap and wheel gap varies mostly as a design choice. Performance versions of most crossovers are all lowered to some degree. The Urs has minimal wheel gap while Land Rovers have adjustable suspensions (both for off roading and on roading) which go up AND down based on conditions (speed).

The RDX Type S (if it every does come out) will likely feature a lower suspension as well.
FactoryMatt (11-20-2021)
Old 06-09-2020, 12:44 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by supafamous
I have no need for any "soft-roading" and rare is any crossover actually used for that purpose - almost all of them are used at shopping malls.

As for wheel gap - that's just not true. Mud and slush doesn't get thicker by virtue of a car getting taller. Some of these cars are deliberately raised higher in order to qualify as "trucks" per the EPA so their fuel mileage requirements are different - the CX-30 and the Mercedes GLB both do this. Other crossovers like the Macan and Cayenne (Porsches of course) don't have significant wheel gap and wheel gap varies mostly as a design choice. Performance versions of most crossovers are all lowered to some degree. The Urs has minimal wheel gap while Land Rovers have adjustable suspensions (both for off roading and on roading) which go up AND down based on conditions (speed).

The RDX Type S (if it every does come out) will likely feature a lower suspension as well.
Vast areas of the United States are served by gravel roads. And speak for yourself; I drive my crossovers on forest service roads given the opportunity. And I also drive them to go grocery shopping or hiking or skiing or whatever else I want to do. That's the versatility thing, is it not?

"Wheel gap" ( or lack thereof ) is a vain affectation. Full stop. Call it "design" or "style" or whatever you like, but it runs counter to function for anything other than an exotic car designed to go 200 mph on glass-smooth roads. ( Not that most of them will ever break 100 mph in North America ). Minimizing the gap doesn't even improve aerodynamics very much at sub-warp speeds, because the manufacturers have figured out how to do air curtains ( witness the vertical scoops on the sides of the bumpers ).

Slush gets thrown from tires into wheel wells and freezes; wheel wells that are roomier and more open provide more clearance for it. Same with sticky mud, although that's less frequently a problem unless you're really looking for trouble. This isn't rocket science, and it's not theoretical for anyone who drives in snow.

And it's not exactly a secret that "performance versions" of crossovers trade away utility for "sportiness", whether that really means increased performance or just eye candy. It's your car, so do what you want, but don't pretend it won't have potential consequences, some of which may be unforeseen.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Anybody who ordered get a shipment confirmation yet? Mine still shows as processing and when I reached out to Eibach sales via e-mail on status for the order there has been no response.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 279 Posts
Finally! Waiting for an review!
Old 06-12-2020, 01:13 PM
Instructor

They just cancelled my order....

"Very sorry but this part is currently on backorder with no eta in the near future. We have cancelled the order and are issuing a refund that will show back up on your card in 1-3 days."
Old 06-12-2020, 03:13 PM
Racer

"Very sorry but this part is currently on backorder with no eta in the near future. We have cancelled the order and are issuing a refund that will show back up on your card in 1-3 days."
awww man that sucks!
Old 06-13-2020, 01:05 AM
Racer

WHAT????? I haven't gotten that one, but neither did they respond to my very polite requests for an update on my order, using order number provided.......AARRGH!

For you doubters up stream, yeah, it is vanity.....you got a problem with that? 🤣. I guess we will see when we see. Peace. Out!
Old 06-17-2020, 03:08 PM
Racer

I would def do it, that along with sway bars were always my first mods on all my other cars. I never really bothered to "look" better or "go faster" I always proffered to come out of a turn faster, or go around it faster.

The following 2 users liked this post by lil12002:
Funz51 (07-06-2020), Padre Dave (06-17-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 08:38 PM
7th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
They do exist.
Graham Rahal bought out all of the eibach from eibach direct.

GRP RDX Eibach springs
make your purchases through here.

hope this helps you all out.

can't wait to get mine.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:04 AM
7th Gear

Talking

The long wait is over, Eibach just posted their lowering springs for the RDX. They show it for AWD A-Spec but I do not think there is any difference in suspension except for Advance which has the active shocks. $269 for the kit.

Eibach RDX Lowering Spring Kit

update on my order from GRP

shipped
arriving on Friday.

they are available on their website.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:31 AM
Racer

Got mine on order too! FINALLY!
alotowski (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 11:12 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I did Eibach lowering springs and larger Progress RSB on my 08 RDX (Hondata reflash, ETS Intercooler, Hondata heatshield gasket). LOVE THEM! Nice drop for a sporty look, felt like stock in normal driving, lowered the center of gravity a bit for improved handling, made it easier for wife/in-laws enter/exit the RDX, and still plenty of ground clearance for accessing MTB/hiking trails in NM. The difference in handling before/after installation wasn't' as dramatic because of how well sh-awd is working. The sh-awd system in the 3rd Gen RDX is even better than the 1st gen version.

The real difference with Eibach springs for my 08 RDX was driving off engine power and not having sh-awd like downhill switchbacks or entering curves at a higher entry speeds compared to braking with the old suspension. I'm able to take a 35mph 270 degree hwy on-ramp in my 08 RDX at 55-60 mph and match the 70-75 mph hwy traffic speeds quickly. I found myself using the brakes less and taking corners at higher speeds and not relying solely on the powertrain/sh-awd with the suspension improvements. The Eibach springs should widen the performance and safety envelop with less dive, squat, lean, and improved emergency handling like it did for my 08 RDX.

The only downside was the Eibach springs with the 1 - 1.25 inch drop killed my OEM struts/shocks after 4-5 years and around 110,000 miles on the odo.

Padre Dave (07-10-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 01:51 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Still nothing confirmed that these will work on the Advanced model?
Old 07-10-2020, 10:06 PM
Racer

Shipped! They should be installed next week.Pics to follow!
Old 07-12-2020, 07:36 PM
7th Gear

GOT EM

Getting installed on Thursday this week. can't wait
Old 07-15-2020, 08:11 PM
Racer

Well, it doesn’t need to be this big of a pic, but here it is with the new Eibach’s installed. Handles MUCHOS nicer!
Old 07-15-2020, 09:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 279 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Do you mind taking another picture that is less backlighted? How about ride quality and hwy MPG?
Old 07-15-2020, 09:47 PM
7th Gear

Ride is crazy good. Especially high speed turns.

RIDE IS AMAZING
STIFFER
GREAT ON CORNERING
Great for NYC driving. Lol

2019 RDX A-Spec
Running boards
Eibach springs
20mm spacers
GRP EXHAUST
GRP INTERCOOLER
HONDATA TUNE
BLACKED OUT WINDOWS LIMO TINT ALL AROUND.
The following 2 users liked this post by alotowski:
2k5_AcuraTL (12-02-2020), Padre Dave (01-06-2021)
Old 07-15-2020, 10:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Thanks for sharing! Do you mind taking another picture that is less backlighted? How about ride quality and hwy MPG?
Yes I will take a better picture tomorrow. It handles really nice....I haven’t gone on my usual curvy road tour yet, that will be tomorrow also. MPG shouldn't be affected at all, except that I want to make the GO pedal move down to the floor more.....
Old 07-16-2020, 02:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
how does it drive coming out of a driveway? one of the things i like about the clearance of the rdx is that i can drive out or a driveway fast without scraping the bottom of the bumper.
can you still do that? or do you have to be careful now?
Old 07-16-2020, 03:05 AM
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by ackmonal
how does it drive coming out of a driveway? one of the things i like about the clearance of the rdx is that i can drive out or a driveway fast without scraping the bottom of the bumper.
can you still do that? or do you have to be careful now?
,Sorry I forgot to include that in my observations. There is no issue whatsoever with curbs and driveways, or speed bumps. I have experienced ripping front spoilers or lips off cars on the way home from getting them installed (I HATE that!).

This drop is not that drastic at all. I can’t foresee any issues with interference from the inside fender wells with this modification. It is pretty amazing how 1.5-2” makes in the appearance and handling characteristics in a vehicle. I purchased my Michelin PS 3+ AS tires in a taller and wider size early on (they are wearing very well and are SO quiet on the road) to try to fill the gap between fender margin and tire. There were no lowering springs back then and there is no way I would consider cutting the stock springs or applying those old spring compression brackets that were popular in the late 1960’s (I saw one of those let loose during a “stupid human trick” on 1966 Mustang doing “skid pad testing” in our high school parking lot.) so I just waited for these Eibach’s .

Please feel free to ask more questions that I haven’t anticipated. I’m an old teacher/preacher and I love sharing....sometimes much to my wife’s consternation......
Old 07-16-2020, 08:04 AM
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Very interested in these springs. Wondering how different the handling really is. The only gripes I have with the RDX is that it feels boaty. For those who have installed the springs, do you still feel the boatyness of the car or do you feel its more planted, especially when turning through corners or even just changing lanes quickly.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

re: Ride quality - would you describe it as stiffer or firmer? Stiffer = less responsive over the bumps, harder ride. Firmer = still responsive, just "sportier". And by how much? I find the A-Spec to be right on the edge of what I consider good for a daily driver SUV so am on the fence about the springs.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:27 PM
Racer

Hmmmm....I posted this new pic from breakfast this morning but it is not here. Sorry....here it is with better lighting.

This is a better pic, I pray
The following 5 users liked this post by Padre Dave:
fogdoctor (11-22-2021), Oil Stain (09-13-2020), sonyfever (07-16-2020), SpaceBot (07-16-2020), xerious3d (10-08-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 12:33 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Your RDX with the springs make me drool. Awesome setup. I want it very badly for my Advanced but no word on whether the springs will work with that model.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:35 PM
Racer

Of course they will work! Our cars have the same suspension and these don't interfere with any of our Dynamic Driving Mode (the large dial in the middle of our center console so I can't see why they won't work. Graham Rahal site said there are only 75 sets but I wonder if there are that many who will invest the money for the springs, the installation (figure an hour labor for each corner) plus the alignment. Eichbach must have mede a deal with Rahal to distribute the springs. They have free shipping, Rahal charges $50 for shipping.

If you have the resources, go for it. If there are enough of enthusiast drivers of RDXs, the supply will go up.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:49 PM
Racer

I tend to be an "enthusiastic" driver when alone or on a sparsely traveled road, I enjoy popping it into Sport + and do some swift cornering. There is very little body roll now and it feels more planted. The ride seems the same in all Modes (OK, I confess not to testing Snow when it was 110 outside). I notice sitting lower in comparison to other vehicles....though where we live it seems that everyone drives a white crossover of some kind. There is a very nice "feel" in the place on the road....not sure what I mean by that either, but something that I noticed today on the road with wifey.

I have lowered almost every one of my vehicles, except for my old crew-cab dually 1 ton Ford pickup with a Western Hauler conversion. I really prefer rhe look and feel of a lowered vehicle. Cornering flattens out, and body roll decreases. This RDX is a taller set vehicle....even with the springs, there is still a lot of room to navigate over obstacles like driveways and speed bumps. I took some pretty substantial "WHOA" speed bumps yesterday, though modified for fire trucks, and I took them at 35 mph without shaking the crowns of my teeth off.

I have not experienced any negative effects of this modification
The following 2 users liked this post by Padre Dave:
achong507 (11-11-2021), sonyfever (07-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Eibach lowering springs now available!