Sunroof problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof problems

Hi everyone, my first post.

My wife's Aspec is having the same issue the last gen RDX's had. The sunroof will reopen when being closed and will make a heavy cruncing sound and studder when actually making past the 'pinch point'. Its very frustrating, but especially because its intermittent

I have already been to Acura once and they greased the hell out of it. I am goong back again on Monday and they said they will have Acura tech dept on the phone to see if they have any other ideas and to have it documented in case anyone else reports the same issue.

As much as I dont want anyone else to have this problem, please report it if you do.

I'll report back after the appointment. If anyone has any feedback or suggestions I am all ears

I hate to have my first post to be about an issue with what is a awesome vehilce. I drive a 2017 V6 accord sedan with sport grille and aerokit. Before that I had Ct engineering Supercharged FB6 with all the major supporting mods before that well, too many Hondas to list going back to the mid 90's.. Hatches, motorswaps, turbos.

Honda love.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Cruisin'

Update, car has been in since Monday morning. Dealer spoke with Acura tech team and they suggested to replace the sunroof rails. (not sure if same as drain channels on last gen with similar issue).

Not sure what the issue is exactly, but Acura is not releasing the part to the dealer/approving warranty wirk until they can verify others who have had this done, (yes, others, quite a few according to the service manager) that it has indeed solved the problem.. Idk, sounds a little hokey, but, I am going with it.

If anyone has this problem, have your dealer talk to the Acura tech team. They have documented cases of this issue and I am willing to bet there will be a future tsb if everyone points it out.

I'll post another update as we move forward.

In an unrelated topic, going to honda today to work numbers on trading in.for a 19 Type R ✌️
Old 02-19-2019, 07:16 PM
Cruisin'

After getting the car back with a sunroof that wouldnt close and having to call Acura customer relations and inform them that Honda wouldnt release the parts and the state of my vehicle...they released the parts the same day.
​​​​​​
Just dropped it off today as all the parts are in... They are replacing the entire sunroof system including rails, glass, motor and other parts.

Fingers crossed it resolves the issue.

And on my second line of this thread... Decided to trade my 17 Accord V6 Touring for a 2019 2.0 Touring.

Kinda surprised not one person has replied 😎..I'll post an update once I get the car back.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
Luckily I have not had this issue, hope your issue is fixed, let us know
Old 02-20-2019, 09:55 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Dereileak
Luckily I have not had this issue, hope your issue is fixed, let us know
I hope no one else does, its a PITA. Thank you, I'll report back. It wouldn't let me post the vid I have due to format, but it just hit me I could add a dropbox link.

Shows the issue, but doesn't show some of the crunching that happens sometimes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/92wshk191wfnqep/2018-10-09%2019.00.42.mp4?dl=0
Old 02-20-2019, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Did they try the relearn procedure?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:02 AM
Cruisin'

Yes, it was the first thing they tried. It must be costing Acura a nice penny or two cough up for the parts and labour.

As they are working on adjusting parts back at their lab, if this doesn't work I'll be having it replaced again once new parts are released.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rdxaspec
Yes, it was the first thing they tried. It must be costing Acura a nice penny or two cough up for the parts and labour.

As they are working on adjusting parts back at their lab, if this doesn't work I'll be having it replaced again once new parts are released.
you have ever right to get that fixed, Acura warranties the car so at least they are standing behind it
Old 02-20-2019, 10:08 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Dereileak

you have ever right to get that fixed, Acura warranties the car so at least they are standing behind it
For sure, I'll give them credit for effort.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:54 AM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same exact problem . Brought the car in to the dealer Monday . They said they performed a calibration and it was good . Picked it up on Tuesday and as I was using it while driving out the lot , it jammed and won’t closed. Now they telling me they gonna replace the sunroof but parts on back order.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:01 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Bluerdxaspec
I have the same exact problem . Brought the car in to the dealer Monday . They said they performed a calibration and it was good . Picked it up on Tuesday and as I was using it while driving out the lot , it jammed and won’t closed. Now they telling me they gonna replace the sunroof but parts on back order.
Im sorry to hear that. Are you in Canada or the US? I ask as I am in Canada and just had parts delivered last week. A full sunroof assembly. The whole shabang.

I dont know this for sure, but, as Honda denied the release of parts for me they might be holding out on you. I would call Acura public relations and open a case. I did and parts were released the same day.

Also, if you can find the part numbers online, call a random dealer to see if they can bring them in, if they can, well, you know someone is playing around.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:20 PM
Cruisin'

My saga continues ....upon inspection of the replacement parts, the tech identified a damaged piece. Car will sit at dealer for at least 2 weeks waiting on another replacement. I do appreciate them not doing a hack job, but geez.

Due to the length of time it'll be there they gave us the RDX loaner we requested and also moved our winter wheel and tires over.

Turns out a plastic piece had broken off somewhere in the system and is what was causing the crunching and the safety sensor to trigger the glass to reopen. Sums up to bad design on Hondas part. A plastic piece that bumps up to a metal piece.. Not hard to guess what will win that in a war of wear and tear. Hopefully it was just a freal thing and that it wont happen again.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:15 PM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
I would hate to have the local dealership's (greasy handed) mechanics basically disassemble and change out my brand new roof, glass, headliner and motor. Even though the part(s) were defective, I wouldn't "trust" that anyone other than the factory could replace the whole assembly correctly. If it was another product (ie: not a car) the mfgr would simply give you a new one....done deal. I hope it doesn't leak or fail after your warranty runs out.......but again, thanks for being a "beta-tester". I like others, will remain o the sidelines for now.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:56 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob175
I would hate to have the local dealership's (greasy handed) mechanics basically disassemble and change out my brand new roof, glass, headliner and motor. Even though the part(s) were defective, I wouldn't "trust" that anyone other than the factory could replace the whole assembly correctly. If it was another product (ie: not a car) the mfgr would simply give you a new one....done deal. I hope it doesn't leak or fail after your warranty runs out.......but again, thanks for being a "beta-tester". I like others, will remain o the sidelines for now.
My son had bought a new Scion TC, first year car. The sunroof had an issue (don't remember exactly, but it was some kind of sound) Dealer said a compete replacement was needed. They ordered parts, and replaced the whole thing. It was fine after that, and he drove the car for another 4 or 5 years. I even drove the car across the country for him. THAT was an experience!
Old 03-02-2019, 09:19 AM
3rd Gear

I had exactly the same issue of rail noise with my brand new RDX. I think it's a popular defect because when I pull my car into the first dealership, they can't identify it so show me another brand new car, wow, that car makes the same noise. The second dealership identified it's a defect, they used more than one week to fix, till now... They said they replaced including rails, frames, motor and other parts. Another funny things happened, they said the replacement frame was broken one so they have to order another one. I am really concern as you that if they can assemble all parts exactly same as in the assembly line. How easy the parts to be broken! I am happy it's a lease car! I won't buy Acura before it got good reputation at quality evaluation.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
I guess we can add the pano roof to the list of issues the RDX might have and to be on the lookout for.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:14 PM
Cruisin'

I am fortunate that the gentleman working on our car is a friend of a friend who works at the dealer and they both have plenty of experience outside of the dealer. I used to buy go fast parts from one of them for over 10+ years so there is good trust there. I'll give them credit that they didnt install something that was already damaged. They easily couldve, and maybe some would, but I am happy to know I am being treated fairly.

Good thing is, even after all this its still under warranty if anything goes sideways.

Acura canada is even providing us with some good will for the issue. Its super frustrating to have a new car in the shop for weeks on end for sure, but its all in how its handled.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:53 PM
Cruisin'

So I finally got the car back and it's in good working order. It took a while, but I am very pleased with the result and how we treated.

Turns out that 2 different assemblies that were ordered came in damaged, I guess 3rd time was a charm. Lucky our tech was super diligent in his efforts.

Hopefully this is the end of this saga and we can get back to enjoying the RDX.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
yesterday my sunroof did not want to close, when tried to close it closes and opens again and from about 10th attempt it finally closes. after that I afraid to open my sunroof because you never know if it will closes. If you just tilting it, it's ok, but when you open completely, it do not closing. By the way, hot to perform relearning procedure?
Old 05-06-2019, 01:36 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by garunas
yesterday my sunroof did not want to close, when tried to close it closes and opens again and from about 10th attempt it finally closes. after that I afraid to open my sunroof because you never know if it will closes. If you just tilting it, it's ok, but when you open completely, it do not closing. By the way, hot to perform relearning procedure?
Check out the technical service bulletins (TSB) here https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...letins-970256/
The glass roof reset is TSB 18-044.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by subin
Check out the technical service bulletins (TSB) here https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...letins-970256/
The glass roof reset is TSB 18-044.
Thanks for info
Old 06-15-2019, 09:14 PM
2nd Gear

2019 RDX Advance Sunroof leaks

Has anyone had issues where the sunroof leaks iand water flows out the light in the cargo area? Car has been in shop for 1.5 weeks for this issue and after replacing a gasket it still leaks. Dealership said don’t use a high pressure car wash. This on top of the breaks, the CarPlay lock up (keeps the infotainment screen on even when the car is powered off and the only way to correct this is to disconnect the battery). Car has spent 17 days in the shop since November 2018.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:03 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
We are having this problem with our 2019 RDX (not the leaking Dckendle mentions but the problem everyone else has been discussing in this thread). Dealer had the car for a day and said it was fixed, but it was not. The car is going back to the dealer on Friday.
Old 10-04-2023, 05:15 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 RDX moonroof leaking.

My 2019 RDX moonroof with 45k started to leak after heavy rain. Drains are clear and technician said it needs a new frame. Could not explain more. Nothing has ever been in the roof of the car. Said overtime this can happen. ??? A new frame needed? Seems like a quality issue They said they have seen a lot of this issue. I have Acura care and they say not covered. They want $3100 for a new frame. Has anyone experienced this issue. What did you do? Thanks. #Acuracare
Old 10-04-2023, 06:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by Salvacathy
My 2019 RDX moonroof with 45k started to leak after heavy rain. Drains are clear and technician said it needs a new frame. Could not explain more. Nothing has ever been in the roof of the car. Said overtime this can happen. ??? A new frame needed? Seems like a quality issue They said they have seen a lot of this issue. I have Acura care and they say not covered. They want $3100 for a new frame. Has anyone experienced this issue. What did you do? Thanks. #Acuracare
why extended warranty does not cover??
Old 10-04-2023, 09:08 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why does Acura care not cover issues with moonroof?

That is the question I have and will try to resolve with the Acura Care team. It is their product and Acura care says it covers everything covered in the original warranty. If anyone has experience working with Acura Care. Please share any tips.TIA