Key fob question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 10:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Key fob question

Ok I set my car to lock when I get out. Sometimes it does and other times it beeps 3xs doesn’t I have to press the lock button. I have also gotten into car with my key and it didn’t register that it was in car until I pressed a button on the fob. Could these be indication of battery dying possibly?
Old 03-30-2021, 07:09 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Harmoni Lyn
Ok I set my car to lock when I get out. Sometimes it does and other times it beeps 3xs doesn’t I have to press the lock button. I have also gotten into car with my key and it didn’t register that it was in car until I pressed a button on the fob. Could these be indication of battery dying possibly?
I am not positive but I believe when the three fast beeps happens and the automatic lock doesn't work, it means that one of the doors was opened before the ignition was turned off. Automatic lock won't work in this case.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:16 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jeffcarp94
I am not positive but I believe when the three fast beeps happens and the automatic lock doesn't work, it means that one of the doors was opened before the ignition was turned off. Automatic lock won't work in this case.
Nope I shut off car and I’m only one in car. Then I got out. Plus why wouldn’t I be able to start Cat when I get in without first pressing a button on the key fob.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:31 AM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
What’s happening when you get the three rapid beeps is your walking away to quickly before the auto lock has a chance to confirm that the door is closed and activate. Get out the car, close the door, wait until you hear one beep, then walk away and you should hear another confirmation beep for the auto lock. As for the battery dying you will get a notification in the middle display between the gauges stating the battery is low and needs replacement. You should never have to press any button on the fob to start the car once you’re inside. You just open the door, sit down, close the door, and press the start button in the car. If your phone is together with your fob then it is interfering with the fob signal. Also all of this is explained in the owners manual.

Last edited by kboo74656; 03-30-2021 at 07:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BDC99 (04-19-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 10:19 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by kboo74656
What’s happening when you get the three rapid beeps is your walking away to quickly before the auto lock has a chance to confirm that the door is closed and activate. Get out the car, close the door, wait until you hear one beep, then walk away and you should hear another confirmation beep for the auto lock. As for the battery dying you will get a notification in the middle display between the gauges stating the battery is low and needs replacement. You should never have to press any button on the fob to start the car once you’re inside. You just open the door, sit down, close the door, and press the start button in the car. If your phone is together with your fob then it is interfering with the fob signal. Also all of this is explained in the owners manual.
Ok that makes sense. Now only question is why there's been a couple times where I got in car with key fob on me and it wouldn't start till I pressed a button on the fob because it hadn't registered fob was in the car? (I either press lock or unlock) Yes I know to push brake and hold as push start button)
Old 03-30-2021, 10:34 AM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Are you near any high powered transmitters or receivers???? It could be the battery getting weak but not weak enough to trigger the warning in the car. Are you carrying both key fobs on the same keychain??? I’m at a loss on this.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:02 AM
10th Gear

I'm in middle of nowhere doubt transmitter. And spare key is in housee which doubt is close enough. Car is a '19 so guess like you said maybe just starting to get weak? And being only had it for week and a half I do not know if it always did this? Maybe I'll swap my fobs and see if with 2nd fob it does it?
Old 03-30-2021, 08:32 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by kboo74656
If your phone is together with your fob then it is interfering with the fob signal. Also all of this is explained in the owners manual.
That is almost certainly the problem, as I have had this experience myself.

Ok that makes sense. Now only question is why there's been a couple times where I got in car with key fob on me and it wouldn't start till I pressed a button on the fob because it hadn't registered fob was in the car?
Do you carry a phone in the same area as the FOB? I suspect that pressing the button didn't make it work, but the fact that you moved the FOB away from the inference source (i.e. phone) made it work.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:08 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
That is almost certainly the problem, as I have had this experience myself.

Do you carry a phone in the same area as the FOB? I suspect that pressing the button didn't make it work, but the fact that you moved the FOB away from the inference source (i.e. phone) made it work.
phone is near yes but when I press button for car to register it’s in car I don’t move where fob is. I just press the button wherever I might’ve set it as I got in the car. I’ll look through manual again. I just skimmed it.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:15 AM
Pro

Perhaps a brief, somewhat simplified description on how the key FOB operates may help.

The FOB has 2 separate functions.

The first function is as a proximity, or Smart key. This means that when you lift the handle on the door, an antenna inside that door will transmit a very short range signal (approximately 1 meter) which will cause your FOB to transmit it's ID code back to the antenna. If the antenna receives the proper code, the door will unlock. The signal from the antenna is limited to the 1 meter so that someone can't just lift your door handle and activate your FOB at a distance.

The same sequence of events occurs when you are inside the car. In this case it is antennas located inside, which broadcast the signal when the ignition button is pushed.

The antennas located at all doors and in the interior are used to determine where the FOB is located. This information is used to prevent locking the doors when the FOB is still inside, or to prevent someone from jumping in your car and driving away while you are filling the gas tank outside the car. Hint: This a a good reason to always have the key in your pocket, and not leave it in the cupholder.

The second function of the FOB is to allow you to unlock the doors or start the engine (if equipped) from a distance. When the FOB buttons are pushed, a more powerful radio signal (compared to the proximity signal) is transmitted allowing this "distant" access. My experience with my Canadian FOB with remote start, is at least a .5 to .75 kilometer range depending on obstructions.

The far range remote functionality has been available on cars for decades, and the circuitry involved with it, has nothing to do with the proximity key. It is for this reason that I believe that pushing the buttons on your remote prior to starting the engine is just coincidence.

As I said, your RDX has antennas located at all 5 doors, as well as the interior. The system looks for small changes in the FOB's signal from all the antennas to determine where the FOB is located. The engine will only start if the FOB is in the area of the drivers seat. It will not start if a front or rear seat passenger is in possession of the FOB. I suspect that if you do not carry the FOB in a pocket, that you might be placing it in a location that makes it appear to be outside the drivers seating position. Perhaps just placing your hand over the FOB to push a button, acts like an antenna and makes the FOB appear to be in a different location.

With regards to a weak battery, if the system does not see a signal from the FOB when you press the start button, a message will be displayed on the dash, saying that your battery is weak. It will then give you instructions to hold the FOB next to the push button. Induction coils in the area around the start button, will transfer energy into the FOB to provide enough power to transmit the coded signal. This works on the same principal as wireless cell phone chargers (Qi charging).

TLDR Pushing the FOB buttons prior to starting the engine should not make any difference. Try keeping the FOB on your person, at least for the purpose of proving this theory. Make sure that the FOB is at least 10-12" from your cell phone, preferably on the opposite side of your body from where you keep your phone.

My phone is in a holster on my right hip, and if I place my FOB in my right side coat pocket, I can't start the engine. I need to put the FOB in my left coat pocket and everything works fine.
welstd (04-08-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 11:48 AM
10th Gear

Smile Thank You!

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
Perhaps a brief, somewhat simplified description on how the key FOB operates may help.

The FOB has 2 separate functions.

The first function is as a proximity, or Smart key. This means that when you lift the handle on the door, an antenna inside that door will transmit a very short range signal (approximately 1 meter) which will cause your FOB to transmit it's ID code back to the antenna. If the antenna receives the proper code, the door will unlock. The signal from the antenna is limited to the 1 meter so that someone can't just lift your door handle and activate your FOB at a distance.

The same sequence of events occurs when you are inside the car. In this case it is antennas located inside, which broadcast the signal when the ignition button is pushed.

The antennas located at all doors and in the interior are used to determine where the FOB is located. This information is used to prevent locking the doors when the FOB is still inside, or to prevent someone from jumping in your car and driving away while you are filling the gas tank outside the car. Hint: This a a good reason to always have the key in your pocket, and not leave it in the cupholder.

The second function of the FOB is to allow you to unlock the doors or start the engine (if equipped) from a distance. When the FOB buttons are pushed, a more powerful radio signal (compared to the proximity signal) is transmitted allowing this "distant" access. My experience with my Canadian FOB with remote start, is at least a .5 to .75 kilometer range depending on obstructions.

The far range remote functionality has been available on cars for decades, and the circuitry involved with it, has nothing to do with the proximity key. It is for this reason that I believe that pushing the buttons on your remote prior to starting the engine is just coincidence.

As I said, your RDX has antennas located at all 5 doors, as well as the interior. The system looks for small changes in the FOB's signal from all the antennas to determine where the FOB is located. The engine will only start if the FOB is in the area of the drivers seat. It will not start if a front or rear seat passenger is in possession of the FOB. I suspect that if you do not carry the FOB in a pocket, that you might be placing it in a location that makes it appear to be outside the drivers seating position. Perhaps just placing your hand over the FOB to push a button, acts like an antenna and makes the FOB appear to be in a different location.

With regards to a weak battery, if the system does not see a signal from the FOB when you press the start button, a message will be displayed on the dash, saying that your battery is weak. It will then give you instructions to hold the FOB next to the push button. Induction coils in the area around the start button, will transfer energy into the FOB to provide enough power to transmit the coded signal. This works on the same principal as wireless cell phone chargers (Qi charging).

TLDR Pushing the FOB buttons prior to starting the engine should not make any difference. Try keeping the FOB on your person, at least for the purpose of proving this theory. Make sure that the FOB is at least 10-12" from your cell phone, preferably on the opposite side of your body from where you keep your phone.

My phone is in a holster on my right hip, and if I place my FOB in my right side coat pocket, I can't start the engine. I need to put the FOB in my left coat pocket and everything works fine.
Thank you so much,
I'm coming from having the 2015 RDX and had never experienced this. I will make sure that phone and fob are at 2 separate locations if on my persons. And try not to put in or around cup holder as on occasion I do. It's happened to me about 3Xs now and I'm a daily driver. That's in car 6 out of 7 days at least! And I never knew that fobs were designed so they had to be in drivers seat. My last rdx quite often I would have it in my bag on passenger seat and it always started fine. And on a few occasions even this one would be in the passenger seat.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:00 PM
Pro

I will make sure that phone and fob are at 2 separate locations if on my persons. And try not to put in or around cup holder as on occasion I do...
.....And I never knew that fobs were designed so they had to be in drivers seat. My last rdx quite often I would have it in my bag on passenger seat and it always started fine. And on a few occasions even this one would be in the passenger seat.
I found that unlocking the doors was only a problem when my FOB was in the jacket/pants pocket directly beside the phone hanging on my hip. Probably a 6" separation would be enough to eliminate the interference, but to totally avoid the problem I keep my FOB on the opposite side of my body, from the phone.

The RDX cannot "precisely" know where your FOB is located. It makes it's decision based on the signals it picks up from the various antennas. So just like you can get a better signal from a portable radio, just by rotating it on the same spot on a table top, the RDX might occasionally think the FOB is in the area of the drivers seat when it is actually 12" further to the right on the passenger seat. I would think that placing it in the cupholder would be close enough to be considered "in the drivers seat". Of course my description of this operation is a very general explanation of automobiles in general. I do not have the specifics for the RDX's system.

I also place my FOB in the cupholder quite often after starting the engine. However where you place the FOB after starting the engine has no effect on the operation of the vehicle. Once started, you can take the FOB out of the vehicle and drive away with it sitting in the garage. If you do this the RDX will beep 3-4 times as a reminder the FOB is not present in the interior. It's wise to follow up on that reminder and retrieve the FOB, otherwise you won't be able to restart the engine when you leave your destination.
welstd (04-08-2021)