Can't Reverse - Car slams on brakes due to bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 01:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't Reverse - Car slams on brakes due to bike rack

Good afternoon everyone! I picked up a 2022 RDX A-Spec a week ago and I'm loving it! I ran into an issue this weekend though, and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I put my Thule T2 Pro bike rack onto my RDX this weekend. When I started the car the first time after installing it, I turned off the parking sensors so that they wouldn't scream at me when I'm in reverse and slam on the brakes on me when I attempted to back up. Well... It turns out that the car still slammed on the brakes when I tried to back up.

I found that I needed to turn off the "Low Speed Braking Control" so that I could actually back up. The problem with this is that it defaults to "On" each time I start the vehicle, requiring navigating through menus each time I start the car before I'm allowed to move in reverse. This is far from ideal as I have the rack on my car for 6 months a year, sometimes 7 if we get good weather in April.

I actually brought this up before I purchased the car. I told the sales person that I have a bike rack on my car from April/May until October, and I wanted to know if the car would refuse to back up while the rack was attached. I was told that I'd need to turn off the parking sensors to back up, and that they would stay off until I turned them on again. That was perfectly fine with me, but it turns out to not be correct. Turning off the parking sensors doesn't turn them off, it just stops the car from displaying what the sonar sensors detect, and stops the car from making noise to tell you that the sensors are picking something up. The sensors themselves are still on, and other systems are still able to use them, and slam on the brakes.

Is there any way I can permanently disable the low speed braking control on my RDX? If I can't permanently disable it, can the dealership do it? If not, has anyone disconnected their rear sonar sensors so the car doesn't see the bike rack and slam on the brakes? If so, were there any side effects to disconnecting the sensors? I'd really prefer to not have to press the sensors button, scroll down to Low Speed Braking Control, and disable it every single time I start the car.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-09-2022, 03:09 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
That's a bad break! Sorry!

I don't have an answer for you. Sorry again. Hopefully someone else has experienced the same with a bike rack, and will help out.
The following users liked this post:
DKPatriots (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 03:13 PM
10th Gear

Fixed!!

I changed the terms I was searching for and found the solution in the manual.

Page 559

■ Turning off All Rear Sensors
1. Make sure that the parking sensor system is not activated. Set the power mode to VEHICLE OFF (LOCK).
2. Press and hold the parking sensor system button, and set the power mode to ON.
3. Keep pressing the button for 10 seconds. Release the button when the indicator
in the button flashes.
4. Press the button again. The indicator in the button goes off.

The beeper sounds twice. The rear sensors are now turned off.

To turn the rear sensors on again, follow the above procedure. The beeper sounds three times when the rear sensors come back on.

This disables the rear parking sensors entirely, but leaves the front ones on. This means I can back up without having to turn off Low Speed Braking Control, but still retain the front parking sensors, and still have Low Speed Braking Control for things in front of me!

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!
The following 4 users liked this post by DKPatriots:
19 RDX A-Spec (05-10-2022), Baconsoup (06-27-2023), GW208 (05-09-2022), JB in AZ (05-09-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 09:20 AM
2022 Acura RDX A-Spec

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Bike rack

Originally Posted by DKPatriots
Good afternoon everyone! I picked up a 2022 RDX A-Spec a week ago and I'm loving it! I ran into an issue this weekend though, and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I put my Thule T2 Pro bike rack onto my RDX this weekend. When I started the car the first time after installing it, I turned off the parking sensors so that they wouldn't scream at me when I'm in reverse and slam on the brakes on me when I attempted to back up. Well... It turns out that the car still slammed on the brakes when I tried to back up.

I found that I needed to turn off the "Low Speed Braking Control" so that I could actually back up. The problem with this is that it defaults to "On" each time I start the vehicle, requiring navigating through menus each time I start the car before I'm allowed to move in reverse. This is far from ideal as I have the rack on my car for 6 months a year, sometimes 7 if we get good weather in April.

I actually brought this up before I purchased the car. I told the sales person that I have a bike rack on my car from April/May until October, and I wanted to know if the car would refuse to back up while the rack was attached. I was told that I'd need to turn off the parking sensors to back up, and that they would stay off until I turned them on again. That was perfectly fine with me, but it turns out to not be correct. Turning off the parking sensors doesn't turn them off, it just stops the car from displaying what the sonar sensors detect, and stops the car from making noise to tell you that the sensors are picking something up. The sensors themselves are still on, and other systems are still able to use them, and slam on the brakes.

Is there any way I can permanently disable the low speed braking control on my RDX? If I can't permanently disable it, can the dealership do it? If not, has anyone disconnected their rear sonar sensors so the car doesn't see the bike rack and slam on the brakes? If so, were there any side effects to disconnecting the sensors? I'd really prefer to not have to press the sensors button, scroll down to Low Speed Braking Control, and disable it every single time I start the car.

Thanks everyone!
I have a bike rack on too and tan across that same issue. Instead of permanently disabling it, I just go into my safety settings and turn the low speed brake off when I turn on the car. However, it turns any safety feature back on when you turn the car off. So you have to do this every time you stay the car.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:25 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by LuisBee
I have a bike rack on too and tan across that same issue. Instead of permanently disabling it, I just go into my safety settings and turn the low speed brake off when I turn on the car. However, it turns any safety feature back on when you turn the car off. So you have to do this every time you stay the car.
Check my reply to my post above. It gives instructions on how to disable the rear parking sensors so you don't have to turn off Low Speed Braking Control every time you start the car.
The following users liked this post:
LuisBee (05-10-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 08:19 AM
OG

Received 163 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by DKPatriots
Check my reply to my post above. It gives instructions on how to disable the rear parking sensors so you don't have to turn off Low Speed Braking Control every time you start the car.
did u see if theres a fuse for them to simply pull out or you could reach under bumper and disconnect them?