2019 Infotainment System Frozen

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 08:51 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2019 Infotainment System Frozen

Just bought our new 2019 RDX less than 24 hours ago and am having an issue with the infotainment system. We were driving on the highway using spotify through apple carplay and the system suddenly disconnected from carplay. When we went to reconnect it display a message stating it could not perform that function while in motion...okay so we pulled over shut the car off and noticed the system did not power off. Turned the car back on and tried other functions, both the radio and statelite radio displayed "could not connect" or "tuner unavailable". We've called the dealership and they are going to check it out in the morning, in the meantime I am not sure what to do as it is sitting in my driveway with the infotainment system powered on, hopefully it won't the battery overnight.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:02 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Update

Just to update, the dealer wasn't able to figure out what caused the issue with the infotainment system. Their resolution was to disconnect the battery to 'fix' the problem. I'm just hoping it doesn't happen again.
The following 2 users liked this post by macura22:
Cazman (09-15-2019), cranch63 (08-14-2023)
Old 06-25-2018, 06:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh man, should I call it jinx that I just got a similar issue today the day after I read your thread?

i was driving home from work while using both navigation and music. (Btw, I have just had this new beauty for 2 weeks). So I wanted to switch side screen onto the main screen. And the screen just froze however music was still playing. It froze for 5 mins while I was driving so I pulled my car to a parking lot and shut it off and backed on.

The infotainment system tried to restart however it was stuck at its fancy starting logo for another 5mins. Luckily other operational function seemed to work. I almost took my car to my dealer before I shut it off and backed on the second time. It took 10 secs to reboot and everything went back functioning.

that was the risk we are taking for the first year model and hopefully patches will be added on and Acura continues their due diligence on improvements.

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
AcuraC$17 (09-25-2023)
Old 06-25-2018, 07:40 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I thought I read if you hold the power button down for a short period - not sure if it’s the volume button or the one of the wheel - it will reboot the system. I can do this on my Q50 while it is in motion and it fixes any glitches. That’s only happened a few times and not in any repeatable fashion.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:49 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was this ever fixed? Just occured in my wife's RDX... looks like we'll be waking up to a dead battery tmr. Radio won't shut off.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I played with a bunch of button combos this morning to find a reboot option, but so far no luck. The power/volume button alone at least does not do anything when held.
However, I did find that if you hold Back-Home-Cards buttons for a few seconds you get to an interesting diagnostics menu.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:39 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianC778
I played with a bunch of button combos this morning to find a reboot option, but so far no luck. The power/volume button alone at least does not do anything when held.
However, I did find that if you hold Back-Home-Cards buttons for a few seconds you get to an interesting diagnostics menu.
And the touchpad reverts to a mouse style cursor. Interesting. Was too chicken to do anything on it...
Old 08-01-2018, 02:08 PM
3rd Gear

Woke up and the radio was still on! Battery didn’t die though. Will head to dealership this weekend.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:44 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by rdx2019
Woke up and the radio was still on! Battery didn’t die though. Will head to dealership this weekend.
try to hold the top 3 buttons in the touchpad (see above) and get into the special menu and then run a self diagnostic. Maybe it picks up and resolves the issue itself?
Old 08-31-2018, 11:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Had my RDX for 2 weeks - today my wife used it and when she came home she said the infotainment system was not working. It just kept repeating the circle / starburst pattern and would not boot. Disconnecting positive battery cable did not fix it. Pulled the #37 15A fuse [audio] and re-inserted, and then the system booted, and somehow, all the settings were still saved? Lucky this time, but I am afraid this will happen again. Acura corporate stated I had to bring the car to the dealer to "reset" it, but it is over a holiday weekend and we need the car. Hopefully, there is a fix that can be downloaded in the future to prevent this?
mack217 (02-13-2020)
Old 09-04-2018, 11:58 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by TheFidge
Had my RDX for 2 weeks - today my wife used it and when she came home she said the infotainment system was not working. It just kept repeating the circle / starburst pattern and would not boot. Disconnecting positive battery cable did not fix it. Pulled the #37 15A fuse [audio] and re-inserted, and then the system booted, and somehow, all the settings were still saved? Lucky this time, but I am afraid this will happen again. Acura corporate stated I had to bring the car to the dealer to "reset" it, but it is over a holiday weekend and we need the car. Hopefully, there is a fix that can be downloaded in the future to prevent this?
This is why mine has been in service for two weeks today. To get Acura to acknowledge all of the issues including this one
Old 09-06-2018, 11:28 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wanted to add my experience with this - the day after we bought my wife's RDX we were driving using carplay/apple podcast and heard a small *zap* noise and the audio portion of the infotainment stopped working. We could still use the car's nav system, but every audio source said unavailabe. We couldn't turn the radio off either - pulled over, stopped, opened doors and the screen still stayed on. Got done with our drive and disconnected and reconnected negative battery terminal and that did the trick to turn it off and get it turned back on and working again.

One thing to note is that we were using an aftermarket iPhone lightning cable when this happened. We swapped to an Apple OEM cord and it hasn't happened since
securityguy (09-06-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Racer

After 20 days in service, the issues still remain with this system and after doing a lot of talking on the phone with Acura and my dealership, they are promising to address the issues before I file Lemon Law on the vehicle for the numerous bugs in the system. We will see what kind of communication I receive over the next couple of days.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:37 AM
Intermediate

I had to bring my 3 week old RDX to the dealer for another unrelated issue, and I mentioned the infotainment issues with mine and others' to the service guy that checked me in, and he claimed he has never heard of any issues with the system. I told him "you will". I guess they don't have time to read the forums :-)
BoxerMomKM (10-22-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Racer

I had to bring my 3 week old RDX to the dealer for another unrelated issue, and I mentioned the infotainment issues with mine and others' to the service guy that checked me in, and he claimed he has never heard of any issues with the system. I told him "you will". I guess they don't have time to read the forums :-)
They obviously don't and the service person I worked with played dumb and then lied to me when he said the issues were fixed, but they are not. I threatened the dealership and Acura with Lemon Law and now they are scrambling...
Old 09-12-2018, 10:55 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Meto
They obviously don't and the service person I worked with played dumb and then lied to me when he said the issues were fixed, but they are not. I threatened the dealership and Acura with Lemon Law and now they are scrambling...
Good luck! Another thing I notice is that the system takes a different amount of time to boot every time the car is started, and every time I hope it finishes....
The following 2 users liked this post by TheFidge:
BoxerMomKM (10-22-2018), richiegardos (10-10-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 10:12 AM
10th Gear

I'm an Android user but have a spare iPhone 5S that is used only for my car with only Car Play apps. I find Apple Car Play to work much better and steady if you restart your iPhone after starting your car, unlock it, then connect to car. If you do notice the system not working great, just disconnect, restart and unlock phone, and connect again.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
today was my first experience with an infotainment issue. While on a call, thru CarPlay with a iPhone 8 hardwired. The call jumped back to the phone. I could use my phone and completed the call. Hung up but the MID still showed the call as active as did the info display. The touchpad did nothing. I could not reset it. I could hit the app button and scroll to the call to “end call” but it did not end it and still remained frozen. I was driving so I had to wait til I stopped and then I shut the car off and everything powered down. When powering back up the call showed back up. The info display showed the boot anamation and was just sitting there thinking. So I powered off the car again, shut my phone completely off, rebooted the car and then everything worked normally.

im guessing here but I think the call got stuck on Bluetooth and my hunch would be that my phone cord is faulty and it flipped between hardwired to usb mode and got stuck.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
This just happened to me too. Dropped it off at the dealer. Video of the problem:

Was driving with iPhone plugged in via CarPlay. Car made a high pitched beep noise and all audio stopped. SiriusXM says "tuner error", FM radio won't play, Bluetooth won't recognize devices. Also, when scrolling through the settings, some of them are greyed out, and when I try to select them, the car says "this is not available while in motion".
i69fstop (02-06-2019)
Old 10-27-2018, 01:27 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Almost EVERY single day I have an issue with this infotainment system. Radio unavailable. Tuner not found, Messages shriek. Yesterday it was "Device not connected" which I have had before. It's the one that makes me laugh because I get it and yet my phone has connected and is streaming music by bluetooth. Never had a phone call come through while I've had this message so perhaps that it what it is referring to. Usually I can get rid of it but shutting down the car, opening the door, closing it, and then restarting. But not yesterday. Message was there for a full 25 minutes while driving to an appointment. About 90 minutes later I returned to the vehicle, started up, and it was gone - all was working as it should.

Chizazen (06-25-2019)
Old 10-27-2018, 12:00 PM
2nd Gear

I just bought a new RDX ten days ago, and Apple Carplay started on the first try as the salesman reviewed the car, but since than it usually does not connect. Took it in yesterday to the dealer and they got it working with their i-phone 6, but took a few tries to get my i-phone X to work. I'm going crazy trying to get Carplay to work. Is there a reliable fix?
Old 11-12-2018, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

I can confirm this works. Our brand new RDX got stuck on the Disclaimer screen, wouldn’t respond to any input and would not turn off when the car shut off. With help from this forum I found the fuses (larger of two fuse panels, uncovered, under dash), found the fuse (blue 15 amp), pulled it for ten seconds and reinstalled, problem fixed.

i too hope a better solution surfaces, but this takes just a few minutes and restores functions without any apparent data loss. Other advice included pulling battery cable to reset ... I’m guessing that would work, but could lose data, e.g. favorite stations and other user settings.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dwb01720
I can confirm this works. Our brand new RDX got stuck on the Disclaimer screen, wouldn’t respond to any input and would not turn off when the car shut off. With help from this forum I found the fuses (larger of two fuse panels, uncovered, under dash), found the fuse (blue 15 amp), pulled it for ten seconds and reinstalled, problem fixed.

i too hope a better solution surfaces, but this takes just a few minutes and restores functions without any apparent data loss. Other advice included pulling battery cable to reset ... I’m guessing that would work, but could lose data, e.g. favorite stations and other user settings.
Agreed. Do not let them pull your battery cable. They did that when I brought mine in and all it seems to have done is erase all my settings and favorites. I am still having issues. Next time I plan to just pull the fuse.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How does one actually pull the fuse? Do you need that fuse puller tool from the engine fuse area a and then just yank it out?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:14 PM
3rd Gear

While pulling the fuse may work, another Acurazine member has found a different reset method:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-.../#post16325492
Old 11-18-2018, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem. Pulling fuses didn't help. Only thing that worked was disconnecting the positive pole of the battery. Working fine now.
Has anyone gotten an explanation from a dealer??
Old 11-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
The dealers know nothing and everyone is awaiting an update from Acura. No one can fix it at this time.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:23 AM
3rd Gear

This happened to me yesterday after just 1 week with our new RDX. The dealership didn't know anything about this issue. Surprise!
Old 11-30-2018, 01:53 PM
10th Gear

2019 rdx infotainment system continuing problems

My brand new rdx has been at the dealer now three weeks, i drove it three days....after the infotainment system started going black repeatedly...see my post. Now after replacing infotainment sysytem control module...and test driving it for four days...it is doing it again. Now dealer calls and they are replacing the entire screen itself....and i expect it will be another 5 days before i know if that works... have calked acura and filed a complaint and opened a case....if this does not fix the issue i will start a lemon kaw claim. Acura padt the initial sympathy first call has not gotten back to me as to what they intend to do...
Old 11-30-2018, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

Plethora of problems, but Houston area dealer acknowledged that it's a known issue

I have had most of the problems that have been documented here, including intermittent audio chirps and drop-outs, "skipping" of the audio when played through carplay (sounds a little like an old-school vinyl record that is skipping), and today the freeze-up that required disconnection of the power. I did the battery cable before I realized the fuse was also an option.

I spoke to an Acura service rep on the phone today and he said that Acura is aware of this issue and is "working on a fix". This has been a known issue for most of the past 6 months, and they're still working on the fix?

I think the Lemon Law may be the only way to get this resolved.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:36 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by DaboRDX
I think the Lemon Law may be the only way to get this resolved.
While I have experienced some issues with my RDX, Lemon law coverage is tough in most state unless “the nonconformity SUBSTANTIALLY impairs the use, mar ket value, or safety of the car”. I had a ‘15 Honda CR-Vibrator, and the vibrations were a “characteristic” of the vehicle, was not a safety issue, and was not covered under the lemon law in Pa. I doubt radio issues would make the cut either, although the laws do very from state to state.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Cruisin'

Angry No One is Immune to the Frozen Infotainment

Hi Guys,

I got my '19 RDX a few months ago and so far have seen this issue occur twice. It seems to be in correlation when I have my iPhone X connected because I will hear an odd noise and then everything is frozen.
I cannot listen to music / pull up my navigation / etc. I contacted the dealer the first time it occurred stating when I exited my vehicle the Infotainment stayed on and they were dumbfounded. They finally told me to try placing the vehicle in "accessory mode" and then turning it off but this did not help. Luckily for me, when I checked on the car a few hours later the screen did turn off on its own.

The other issue I have been having is when my iPhone is connected via official manufacturer Lightning cable, it constantly disconnects. Some days are worse than others. I finally contacted Apple Support first and they stated to try a new Lightning cable. I just switched mine out and will see if this helps alleviate issues with either the Infotainment being "frozen" or the constant disconnects of my Apple device.

I've tried to see if there were updates to the Infotainment often but so far no luck.

Hopefully Acura can come up with an answer, because this does not scream "reliability" at all.

Non-Precision Crafted Performance?

Eva
Old 12-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Advanced

I have a new theory. Only tested it once.
Do other RDX owners have the AcuraLink app installed on their iOS devices? You note how it launches everytime you plug in to start CarPlay?

I did the swipe to close app thing on the AcuraLink app on my iPhone. Had a drive this morning with no skips, noises or freezing. I'm curious if others will find the same.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another data point. I have had zero infotainment issues so far (950 miles) and/but my dealer and Acura cannot yet figure out why my AcuraLink will not work...
Old 12-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jonarogers
I have a new theory. Only tested it once.
Do other RDX owners have the AcuraLink app installed on their iOS devices? You note how it launches everytime you plug in to start CarPlay?

I did the swipe to close app thing on the AcuraLink app on my iPhone. Had a drive this morning with no skips, noises or freezing. I'm curious if others will find the same.
Hello!!
I have the AcuraLink app on my iPhone as well. I tried this last night and it worked perfectly.
However, this morning, my iPhone disconnected once.
I noticed if my screen is still "active" I have no issues. Once the my phone goes dark that's when the disconnects occur.

Thanks for this, maybe it will help on a few occasions.

Eva
Old 12-06-2018, 07:19 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Something else strange started happening. My FM presets have been disappearing, duplicating, or only showing 3 to a page instead of 4. Also when I hit the left scroll wheel to the left it won't cycle through the presets, only when I click to the right.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:30 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
My RDX has been doing the exact same thing since new with the FM presets..showing a double preset eventhough it is not physically possible to save the same station twice as a favourite. It only happens with FM, not XM...I told my dealer about the issue about two months ago. Hopefully it gets resolved with the update.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:35 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
It seems like each day I get a new infotainment error. Now my tuner wouldn't change from FM to XM and multiple times the navigation route failed. If next weeks update doesn't fix all these issues I'm reaching my breaking point with this car

Old 12-08-2018, 08:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
Are you folks not reading the thread related to the software update Acura stated is being pushed out to us via an OTA update on or around December 12??? They haven't stetted all that it will fix but it should be significant so please take a breath folks and just wait for the update and then you can complain some more if the update isn't to your satisfaction.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by securityguy
Are you folks not reading the thread related to the software update Acura stated is being pushed out to us via an OTA update on or around December 12??? They haven't stetted all that it will fix but it should be significant so please take a breath folks and just wait for the update and then you can complain some more if the update isn't to your satisfaction.
Do you have any official statement you can point to that states it is coming on the 12th? A website?

Quick Reply: 2019 Infotainment System Frozen