RV6 Downpipe Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 11:37 AM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
RV6 Downpipe Install

Wanted to post a thread about my install on my 2020 RDX RV6 downpipe install. First off ill have to say this was a mostly straight forward and easy install seeing as it pretty much went smoothly. I did this without jackstands or anything other than basic hand tools and a can of good ol Kroil Oil Penetrant (apparently this stuff was the oil of the gods). First things first were to remove my air intake fully just so i had more room to work and be able to remove the turbo heat shield. There are 4 bolts on the plastic tubing side that connect to the turbo. the 2 12mm bolts that bolts directly to turbo and the 2 10mm bolts that bolt the vacuum line assembly to the inlet. I also removed my coolant overflow bottle. once the entire intake is out i removed the o2 sensor and turbo heat shield. At this point it was Friday night and i took the Kroil oil and soaked the upper 2 bolts and 2 buts on the downpipe assembly to soak overnight. Also got under the car to soak the 5 bolts and nuts that held together the lower portion of the downpipe to the front pipe. the lowers were so rusted i really didn't think they would come off but after soaking and spraying everything a few times during the next day and using a large break bar all the 14mm bolts underneath came loose. Also, back on top i used the same large break bar and a ratchet to break free the 14mm bolts holding the pipe to the hot side of the turbo. After finagling the pipe out i removed the secondary o2 sensor and swapped it over to the new pipe. Install was the exact reverse process as the removal. Ive attached some pictures for reference. The stock downpipe heat shield bolts directly up but the turbo headshield i had an issue with and was only able to get the upper 2 bolts back on to it. However it is firmly in place without the other 2 bolts. All in all the install was easy and no broken bolts. should be able to gain a few horsepower and now i will be able to install the FK8 Titanium Intake from PRL.

The following 2 users liked this post by eastcoast_a-spec:
godfather2 (11-07-2023), sonyfever (10-05-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 07:36 AM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts
Thanks! Is there a benefit to doing this without any other mods? Im trying not to do much to my car until the powertrain warranty is up, at least nothing that could void anything.
Old 09-28-2023, 09:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Twism86
Thanks! Is there a benefit to doing this without any other mods? Im trying not to do much to my car until the powertrain warranty is up, at least nothing that could void anything.
There is definitely some added horsepower and much better flow thru. If you do a full exhaust it’s even better and will help change the tone. Another reason I did it is because it changes the location of the o2 sensor and allows me to run the PRL titanium intake system. And there isn’t a humongous marker so i figured I’ll add what there is lol
Old 11-14-2023, 10:17 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eastcoast_a-spec
There is definitely some added horsepower and much better flow thru. If you do a full exhaust it’s even better and will help change the tone. Another reason I did it is because it changes the location of the o2 sensor and allows me to run the PRL titanium intake system. And there isn’t a humongous marker so i figured I’ll add what there is lol
Definitely thinking about adding the FK8 titanium inlet pipe…

Did you end up doing it? Any pics?
Old 11-15-2023, 05:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 20RDXASpec
Definitely thinking about adding the FK8 titanium inlet pipe…

Did you end up doing it? Any pics?
i have not yet. Planning on it as soon as possible , you will need a few things tho for it to work. You will need to find different studs to
bolt the prl inlet elbow to the turbo, and you will also need the PRL coolant line / vaccum line kit. It’s called Acura 2.0 turbocharger inlet pipe Installation kit on their site. Once installed you will have a vacuum line bracket next to the elbow that will have no where to mount. You can purchase the fk8 bracket to adapt it or just zip tie for the time. Other than that it’s direct install.
The following users liked this post:
20RDXASpec (11-19-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 08:26 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have not yet. Planning on it as soon as possible , you will need a few things tho for it to work. You will need to find different studs to
bolt the prl inlet elbow to the turbo, and you will also need the PRL coolant line / vaccum line kit. It’s called Acura 2.0 turbocharger inlet pipe Installation kit on their site. Once installed you will have a vacuum line bracket next to the elbow that will have no where to mount. You can purchase the fk8 bracket to adapt it or just zip tie for the time. Other than that it’s direct install.
The inlet pipe and silicone hose to the intake box doesn't bolt up to the stock box. Have you heard of a work around? Just installed the pipe and ran into that issue where hose doesnt meet.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by proracer718
The inlet pipe and silicone hose to the intake box doesn't bolt up to the stock box. Have you heard of a work around? Just installed the pipe and ran into that issue where hose doesnt meet.
Yes thats usually the problem, i do believe there was a different option for the coupler that was made longer but what others have done was got a slightly small coupler to slide inside the prl one and then another coupler to meet and slide over the other side to fit on the airbox. (so 2 seperate couplers) . for myself i wont have that problem because i will be using a open element air filter setup.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
re: the new studs to bolt the inlet elbow - found this out the hard way today, I was able to use the previous ones after a lot of praying to the Gods not to snap. I had a thick thermal gasket that compensated but was curious if you found out what studs / part number would work because if I can drop by a dealership tomorrow to pick them up that would be awesome. If you have the same for the wiring harness if that exist I would like this, zip tie would be the next best option.

I was also upset to find out today after dropping thr RV6 down pipe, MHI Stage 2, and the inlet elbow and titanium pipe that the EVAP Fitting doesn’t or at least didn’t come with my kit which basically killed my plans for this weekend.

had to call PRL and pay for the part and pay to overnight it (which wont come until Wednesday because of the Holiday weekend)… crazy thing about that is they don’t actually have the part listed on their website at all. But whoever helped me on the phone call today was super helpful, I’m just crossing my fingers they send the right part and wish there was a temp fix while I waited for it to come in.

in the grand scheme of things a lot more could have gone wrong but I’m still very iffy about those inlet studs and wire harness! Thanks man!

Last edited by Black_Ack; 02-16-2024 at 07:08 PM.