RDX air intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 05:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Video of Intake

I finally got around to filming the intake! I stuck the camera in the airbox and the recorded from the inside of the car, let me know what you think!

I love the sounds of this thing, thanks Whiteonred, this wouldn't have been possible without you!

Old 10-01-2022, 06:48 PM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
No problem that’s what these forums are all about 👍🏻
Old 10-01-2022, 07:38 PM
Cruisin'

Gosh, I cannot tell you how happy I am with this thing! I LOVE turbo sounds and when I first bought this car, I was actually quite surprised to hear a very faint BOV sound, but once I put this intake on, WOW! I can hear that diverter valve WOOOSSSSHHHH when I get off the throttle, the turbo scream at full power, and a deeper, more natural growl form the engine, it truly transforms this car and makes it so much more fun to drive! I love it.
The following users liked this post:
BionicRandy (10-04-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 06:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JJ163
Gosh, I cannot tell you how happy I am with this thing! I LOVE turbo sounds and when I first bought this car, I was actually quite surprised to hear a very faint BOV sound, but once I put this intake on, WOW! I can hear that diverter valve WOOOSSSSHHHH when I get off the throttle, the turbo scream at full power, and a deeper, more natural growl form the engine, it truly transforms this car and makes it so much more fun to drive! I love it.
What intake did you get ? And how's is it running so far ?
Old 12-10-2022, 02:14 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Whiteonred
No problem that’s what these forums are all about 👍🏻
bro help needed on what intake to get terms of size ? and do i need to do what rob did in terms of tubes and holes ? or can i just install the intake with prl intake tube ?
Old 12-11-2022, 01:44 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by GHOSTCAMP
What intake did you get ? And how's is it running so far ?
Custom made intake following what WhiteOnRed did where I dremeled out the pipe from the stock intake. Then I had a spare K&N universal cone filter, I’ll try to put the link in here. Car runs beautifully and sounds amazing, exactly what I wanted. https://www.knfilters.com/rg-1001rd-...-multi-lingual
Old 12-12-2022, 05:16 PM
Cruisin'

awesome, check this out you think it'll work ?
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
In your original setup below, which silicone tube was used to mount to the airbox? All the ones I’ve tried were a few inches to short. A pic of part number found in the inside of the opening would help! Thanks!
Originally Posted by Rob5150
Old 03-03-2023, 11:05 AM
Cruisin'

awesome, check this out you think it'll work ? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Y2CP5A5T&psc=1
I don’t think so, RDX intake is very big, anything smaller will piss off the MAF.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo375
In your original setup below, which silicone tube was used to mount to the airbox? All the ones I’ve tried were a few inches to short. A pic of part number found in the inside of the opening would help! Thanks!
it’s the type r intake tube for the stock air box
Old 03-12-2023, 06:39 AM
Cruisin'

Actually it worked!

I don’t think so, RDX intake is very big, anything smaller will piss off the MAF.
it worked cuz it had the same diameter as the original tube, i had to tweak it a bit due to the screws being at the wrong side, i used non conductive tape to keep the MAF sensor in place, it works amazing for now but ill probably mod the tube i bought with welding and screw the sensor in place, I wouldn’t recommend doing what i did unless you mod the metal tube, other than that it works just fine. I didn’t like cutting the plastic tube since its an og part.

Last edited by GHOSTCAMP; 03-12-2023 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:28 AM
Cruisin'

it worked cuz it had the same diameter as the original tube, i had to tweak it a bit due to the screws being at the wrong side, i used non conductive tape to keep the MAF sensor in place, it works amazing for now but ill probably mod the tube i bought with welding and screw the sensor in place, I wouldn’t recommend doing what i did unless you mod the metal tube, other than that it works just fine. I didn’t like cutting the plastic tube since its an og part.

Oh my goodness all that electrical tape 😭. Well, glad you got it to work at least.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:17 AM
Cruisin'

New update

Oh my goodness all that electrical tape 😭. Well, glad you got it to work at least.
yeah man adaptation! I'm telling you one step at a time and one problem solving at a time 😂

New update: so this is what i managed to get to.

Old 03-14-2023, 11:19 AM
Cruisin'

yeah man adaptation! I'm telling you one step at a time and one problem solving at a time 😂

New update: so this is what i managed to get to.
SOOOOO Much better, very clean, I like it.
GHOSTCAMP (03-14-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts
You do realize that the MAF is not installed correctly-?
it is not measuring the amount of airflow-
Old 03-21-2023, 03:14 AM
Cruisin'

Fixed.

Originally Posted by Rob5150
You do realize that the MAF is not installed correctly-?
it is not measuring the amount of airflow-
Oh thats why the car runs so bad…
just kidding 😂 yeah fixed it seconds after the last post, didn't update the picture though my bad.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:40 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little off topic but looking for any help if available. So been trying to make the engine bay a clean and nice as possible and seen this pic on IG and sent a message but no reply yet so maybe someone here might know.

Does anyone know what PRL Intake Box would fit even with some modification i'm assuming?
Here's the pic of the RDX im talking about.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:09 AM
Cruisin'

Prl

Originally Posted by proracer718
A little off topic but looking for any help if available. So been trying to make the engine bay a clean and nice as possible and seen this pic on IG and sent a message but no reply yet so maybe someone here might know.

Does anyone know what PRL Intake Box would fit even with some modification i'm assuming?

Any help is appreciated.

I would suggest emailing PRL with this picture, they might know what heat shield is in this picture.

if you do and they get back to you please let us know 🙏🏻
Old 03-25-2023, 09:32 AM
6th Gear

I would suggest emailing PRL with this picture, they might know what heat shield is in this picture.

if you do and they get back to you please let us know 🙏🏻
yea I reached out to them on IG and they weren’t sure which intake was used. I also reached out to the shop that did it but they havent read the message yet so ill be sure to update if any info comes out of it. Some people on FB groups said its the stage2 Accord 2.0t intake but then say it causes issues with the MAF so im still reaching it all.
Old 03-27-2023, 11:24 AM
Eddie

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by proracer718

Any help is appreciated.

PRL HVI V1 For accord, same one i have with my setup.

Old 03-30-2023, 06:40 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by subzero_cv2

Did you have any issues running this setup? Was there a lot to modify to make it work?
Old 03-31-2023, 12:45 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by subzero_cv2

WOOOO, that’s looks PRRRRTTTTTYYYYYY 🤩 I always wanted that Type R metal intake tube in my RDX.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Just wanted to add to this thread, i went along the same route as some here and did the PRL intake tube , ordered a spare maf/airbox assembly and cut out the oem maf , coupler to a 45 degree elbow to a K&N air filter. Did the elbow since some others said it helped with IAT's althougth owning an Evo for a few years having a similar intake setup and having really no issues with that. The sound it 10x better and feels that it spools up alot quicker. You can hear the purge assembly alot better now to. Def adds some fun to the driving experience.
PRL Intake Tube
OEM MAF
Vibrant Coupler 3.25" to 3"
Autozone 45 Degree Elbow
K&N RE0930 Air Filter

Old 01-06-2024, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eastcoast_a-spec
Just wanted to add to this thread, i went along the same route as some here and did the PRL intake tube , ordered a spare maf/airbox assembly and cut out the oem maf , coupler to a 45 degree elbow to a K&N air filter. Did the elbow since some others said it helped with IAT's althougth owning an Evo for a few years having a similar intake setup and having really no issues with that. The sound it 10x better and feels that it spools up alot quicker. You can hear the purge assembly alot better now to. Def adds some fun to the driving experience.
PRL Intake Tube
OEM MAF
Vibrant Coupler 3.25" to 3"
Autozone 45 Degree Elbow
K&N RE0930 Air Filter
have u had any codes pop up and if no what 45 degree elbow did u use 3” is that silicone or is I plastic
Old 01-09-2024, 02:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by junito1982
have u had any codes pop up and if no what 45 degree elbow did u use 3” is that silicone or is I plastic
No codes whatsoever , that was my main reason for using an oem MAF piece. The 45 degree elbow came from Autozone. The coupler is a 3.25 to 3” to go from the maf to the filter.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:35 PM
Cruisin'

Hello everyone,

Wanted to check back in on this thread, I have some Interesting updates and am curious if anyone else ran into the same issues as me. Over the past year running this intake, I noticed the transmission started to take a much longer time to downshift, miss shifts occasionally, shift hard, and lug the engine. I genuinely thought my car was just dying and the transmission was going to blow up, until I took my car into the dealer, removed my intake, and reinstalled the stock airbox. Guess what happened? Instant downshifts, extremely rapid throttle response, no more lugging the engine! I mean seriously, the car finally didn't feel broken, and drove how a modern luxury SUV should. I'm really bummed because I loved the sound and slightly better fuel efficiency my custom intake provided, but I just cannot stand the poor drivability after experiencing what I just discovered.

I'm curious if anyone else has the same issue, please let me know. Maybe a tune would help the custom intake perform better? What are y'all thoughts!
Old 01-21-2024, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

Hello everyone,

Wanted to check back in on this thread, I have some Interesting updates and am curious if anyone else ran into the same issues as me. Over the past year running this intake, I noticed the transmission started to take a much longer time to downshift, miss shifts occasionally, shift hard, and lug the engine. I genuinely thought my car was just dying and the transmission was going to blow up, until I took my car into the dealer, removed my intake, and reinstalled the stock airbox. Guess what happened? Instant downshifts, extremely rapid throttle response, no more lugging the engine! I mean seriously, the car finally didn't feel broken, and drove how a modern luxury SUV should. I'm really bummed because I loved the sound and slightly better fuel efficiency my custom intake provided, but I just cannot stand the poor drivability after experiencing what I just discovered.

I'm curious if anyone else has the same issue, please let me know. Maybe a tune would help the custom intake perform better? What are y'all thoughts!
Sorry to hear you had that experience but I’ve been running my modified intake for quite a few months now with no issues at all, runs and shifts all the same. Nothing like what you have reported. It sounds like something was causing a bad reading on your MAF of sorts to cause all those issues. But honestly hard to tell. As long as they are resolved no biggie.
Old 01-21-2024, 02:55 PM
Intermediate

Also wanted to report for anyone interested , PRL did put out a video a few months ago of a full turbo inlet pipe for the RDX. I’ve message them many times finally got a half decent response that said they will be titanium and they are coming “soon”. Otherwise you can do the FK8 inlet system but it requires some things like an FK8 style downpipe , PRL coolant and vacuum line kit and a longer coupler.
NBPDC505 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 12:33 AM
Cruisin'

Sorry to hear you had that experience but I’ve been running my modified intake for quite a few months now with no issues at all, runs and shifts all the same. Nothing like what you have reported. It sounds like something was causing a bad reading on your MAF of sorts to cause all those issues. But honestly hard to tell. As long as they are resolved no biggie.
What filter are you running? I am running a generic K&N Cone filter, perhaps if I use a different filter it might make the mass air flow sensor happier?
Old 01-23-2024, 08:20 AM
Intermediate

What filter are you running? I am running a generic K&N Cone filter, perhaps if I use a different filter it might make the mass air flow sensor happier?
I am running a KN RE-0930. K&N should be fine , are you using a stock maf housing ?
Old 01-23-2024, 10:13 AM
Cruisin'

I think I am going to switch out the filter and see if it is more compatible with the MAF. I am using the K&N RG-1001RD currently. I also used the stock MAF housing, hence why I am so confused that I am having these issues. I also noticed you are using a 45° extension, do you think that helps the airflow a bit? I put my filter directly on the MAF housing I created, what are your thoughts?
Old 01-23-2024, 12:40 PM
Intermediate

I think I am going to switch out the filter and see if it is more compatible with the MAF. I am using the K&N RG-1001RD currently. I also used the stock MAF housing, hence why I am so confused that I am having these issues. I also noticed you are using a 45° extension, do you think that helps the airflow a bit? I put my filter directly on the MAF housing I created, what are your thoughts?
definitely good move using the oem maf as its size is critical since why people that have tried the accord maf had issues. I used the 45 because I tried to move the filter away from the engine and turbo as far as possible for cooler air and also reused the stock air duct for more air. My IATs show good numbers even in summer and more importantly after the intercooler. As for your issue it wouldn’t hurt to try an extension instead of mourning the filter directly but I’ve seen others do it. Mafs can be tricky to say the least. If something got thru at some point or moisture it could have caused a bad reading who knows. The 45 i used is from auto zone for like $18.
Old 01-24-2024, 07:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

@eastcoast_a-spec Dude, this made me do a google search to see if I could pull up the video and instead this came up, look at the and then click to read the product header, the scroll down a bit to read the product description... I got excited, then disappointed LOL
Old 01-24-2024, 07:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_Ack
@eastcoast_a-spec Dude, this made me do a google search to see if I could pull up the video and instead this came up, look at the and then click to read the product header, the scroll down a bit to read the product description... I got excited, then disappointed LOL
I meant to say "look at the website header then look at the product description"
Old 01-25-2024, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

I meant to say "look at the website header then look at the product description"
Yea i mean it will fit the rdx however you need a few things to make it work but essentially it will bolt right up.
Old 01-25-2024, 11:45 PM
2nd Gear

Help with a part #

I'm wondering if anyone has the part # for the maf/airbox assembly top part? I'm not cutting mine till I have a spare
Old 01-25-2024, 11:55 PM
2nd Gear

I found a part # but it says 19-21. would a 24 be the same or a different part # 🤔 can't seem to find one

17210-5Yf-A02

Old 01-26-2024, 05:48 AM
Intermediate

Got mine from eBay should be the same

Old 01-28-2024, 12:12 PM
Cruisin'

definitely good move using the oem maf as its size is critical since why people that have tried the accord maf had issues. I used the 45 because I tried to move the filter away from the engine and turbo as far as possible for cooler air and also reused the stock air duct for more air. My IATs show good numbers even in summer and more importantly after the intercooler. As for your issue it wouldn’t hurt to try an extension instead of mourning the filter directly but I’ve seen others do it. Mafs can be tricky to say the least. If something got thru at some point or moisture it could have caused a bad reading who knows. The 45 i used is from auto zone for like $18.
Alright, I have an interesting... the saga continues...
I reinstalled the intake yesterday morning, but I did it right before the engine performed a cold start. After it was installed, I started the engine, it did it's thing, and I went for a drive. The transmission does shift a little harder than with the stock airbox even with normal driving around town, like I can feel shiftshock at city speeds with gentle throttle application. So I let the engine warm up and accelerated on the highway. The car immediately downshifted and and started to accelerate. It felt really good actually! I tried it again and again and the car was running and shifting just fine.

I didn't change anything to my custom intake, I just wanted to put it back on because I was noticing that even with my stock airbox, once things got warmer, the engine and transmission started to behave in a more sluggish performance manner. So I'm starting to believe that this engine is just really prone to heat-soak, it really can't constantly deliver high output unless, and I'm just assuming, it had better cooling maybe in the form of an aftermarket intercooler or oil cooler.

What do y'all think? Do these cars even come with an oil cooler or transmission cooler stock?
Old 01-28-2024, 12:12 PM
Cruisin'

Damn, I wanted to get this too 😢

Quick Reply: RDX air intake