Notices

Transmission fluid level

 
Old 04-13-2019, 06:01 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Yotrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 309
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Transmission fluid level

Anyone know where is the stick to check transmissions level, tks
Yotrek is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:13 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Arizona
Age: 67
Posts: 397
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotrek View Post
Anyone know where is the stick to check transmissions level, tks
There isn't one.
JB in AZ is online now  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:22 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Yotrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 309
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ View Post
There isn't one.
Didnt know that, so only dealer can check the level?
Yotrek is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:32 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Arizona
Age: 67
Posts: 397
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotrek View Post
Didnt know that, so only dealer can check the level?
Correct...page 542 of the downloadable owners manual states: "Have a dealer check the fluid level and replace as necessary...do not attempt to check or change the fluid yourself"

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm referring to the '19 RDX, your image shows a previous gen RDX.
JB in AZ is online now  
Old 04-13-2019, 07:12 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Yotrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 309
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ View Post
Correct...page 542 of the downloadable owners manual states: "Have a dealer check the fluid level and replace as necessary...do not attempt to check or change the fluid yourself"

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm referring to the '19 RDX, your image shows a previous gen RDX.
thanks, yes still using my previous ‘13 RDX, for profile pictures..
Yotrek is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 11:28 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 849
Liked 203 Times in 138 Posts
These modern high-gear-count transmissions aren't amenable to DIY servicing. Same with the ZF 9-speed. Not impossible to DIY, just probably not advisable, especially when it's under warranty.

Considering there's only likely to be one or two ATF changes during the powertrain warranty period, I'll just let the dealer do it.

But if it's acting up and you were just thinking of checking the ATF level as a troubleshooting measure, that's not easy. First step is probably to have the dealer check for trouble codes.
Wander is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 12:10 AM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Minnesota
Age: 27
Posts: 473
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander View Post
These modern high-gear-count transmissions aren't amenable to DIY servicing. Same with the ZF 9-speed. Not impossible to DIY, just probably not advisable, especially when it's under warranty.

Considering there's only likely to be one or two ATF changes during the powertrain warranty period, I'll just let the dealer do it.

But if it's acting up and you were just thinking of checking the ATF level as a troubleshooting measure, that's not easy. First step is probably to have the dealer check for trouble codes.
I disagree, after reading the steps for a transmission fluid change it’s actually a very very simple procedure and I see no reason to pay the dealer big bucks to do something as easy as drain and fill, on top of the fact that your warranty will be just as intact if you DIY it, as long as you follow the procedure and use the proper fluid, and of course document what you did, and although it’s not as easy as checking a dip stick, the procedure to check the fluid level is also fairly easy. As someone who takes extra care when doing anything, I would much rather trust myself over my dealer for this work

Last edited by Dereileak; 04-14-2019 at 12:19 AM.
Dereileak is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Dereileak:
quantum7 (04-15-2019), ToniRDX19 (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 12:21 AM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Minnesota
Age: 27
Posts: 473
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Undercover Removal:



ATF Replacement and Check:






Last edited by Dereileak; 04-14-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Dereileak is offline  
The following users liked this post: Dereileak
Boltface (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 09:16 AM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Arizona
Age: 67
Posts: 397
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
That's great that you provided the procedure for those who wish to do this themselves!

I'm at a point in my life that I will no longer do much more than change a wiper blade. Unfortunately, age has caught up with my desire and ability to do these DIY projects. This wasn't the case in prior years, had all the tools: two floor jacks, creeper, stands, etc. Still have a large tool chest full of tools, if only one of my sons was inclined to work on cars. Millennials!

Other than wanting to insure that it is done right, I honestly don't miss the skinned knuckles etc. This being an amazing vehicle to drive, I intend to enjoy driving it and not working on it. The dealer will get some of my money and service business. I used to enjoy doing this. Oh well. I can't tell you how many quarts of oil I changed, and how many water pumps, alternators, radiator hoses, fan belts, spark plugs, points, condensers, etc. I put in my 68 Cutlass and 70 Camaro back in the day. Of course, things have changed, and for the better. My father-in-law, may he rest in peace, used to tell me (we should be able to weld the hoods shut on cars and they should last 100,000 miles). And he always did his own repairs/maintenance.
JB in AZ is online now  
Old 04-14-2019, 10:40 AM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Connecticut
Age: 37
Posts: 91
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak View Post
I disagree, after reading the steps for a transmission fluid change itís actually a very very simple procedure and I see no reason to pay the dealer big bucks to do something as easy as drain and fill, on top of the fact that your warranty will be just as intact if you DIY it, as long as you follow the procedure and use the proper fluid, and of course document what you did, and although itís not as easy as checking a dip stick, the procedure to check the fluid level is also fairly easy. As someone who takes extra care when doing anything, I would much rather trust myself over my dealer for this work
I agree 100% for DYI who wants to do the job right. My experience with dealers is some technician will rush through the job. Base on the ATF instructions you posted the procedure is straight forward. I have all the tools and trim removal to make the job super easy.
ToniRDX19 is online now  
Old 04-14-2019, 11:25 AM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 849
Liked 203 Times in 138 Posts
• Engine warmed up to normal operating temp, with the undercover removed.

• "Check the ATF level right after shifting the transmission through all of the positions/modes and turning the engine off."

• And, of course, the vehicle must be level.

Pulling the plugs is easy. Satisfying the above conditions would be a lot easier with a lift than without. And the accuracy of the result is dependent upon them.

As I said, not impossible. Difficult to do right.

But it's not as hard as the ZF 9-speed because AFAIK the ATF in this trans doesn't expand as much with temperature as the crazy ( and crazy expensive ) stuff used in that trans.

I think part of the reason this thing doesn't have a dipstick is because it's sensitive to contamination. But I have no evidence to back that up. Just general angst about these transmissions. I routinely change ATF in 5-6 speed transmissions.

Last edited by Wander; 04-14-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Wander is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 01:55 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Yotrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 309
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander View Post
These modern high-gear-count transmissions aren't amenable to DIY servicing. Same with the ZF 9-speed. Not impossible to DIY, just probably not advisable, especially when it's under warranty.

Considering there's only likely to be one or two ATF changes during the powertrain warranty period, I'll just let the dealer do it.

But if it's acting up and you were just thinking of checking the ATF level as a troubleshooting measure, that's not easy. First step is probably to have the dealer check for trouble codes.
just wanna check the level, making sure they're good, there's no way I will diy, not even changing my oil..
Yotrek is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 04:12 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Minnesota
Age: 27
Posts: 473
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotrek View Post
just wanna check the level, making sure they're good, there's no way I will diy, not even changing my oil..
i have been curious of some of the jumpy shifts could be related to a low ATF level out of the factory. Has anyone body checked their levels ?? Mine clear up once warm but perhaps itís slightly low on fluid
Dereileak is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 07:16 PM
  #14  
Registered Member
 
Boltface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 89
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks very much for posting the procedure. Last week I went by the Acura place to get a problem fixed on the RDX and picked up trans/diff fluids to change those on my '05 MDX. I was wondering if I'd be able to do it on the RDX.
Boltface is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 07:28 PM
  #15  
Registered Member
 
Boltface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 89
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I do have a question on the '05 generation the general accepted procedure was to drain and replace the transmission fluid three times. Is that not the case here?
Boltface is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 08:17 PM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 849
Liked 203 Times in 138 Posts
That is good practice on the 2005 MDX with the 5-speed transmission, especially because of the cumulative miles and years of use. That's what I usually do with our well-loved 2005. And also with its stablemate, a 2014 MDX ( 6-speed ). That ATF is pretty cheap, so it mostly costs my time. But this is considered a "flush", not a routine ATF change. AFAIK a dealer would charge extra for that.

Dunno on 2019 RDX, but I probably won't worry about it for the first couple of changes. YMMV

BTW, it's a different ATF fluid for the 10-speed than 5 or 6 speed, and I think it's a couple bucks more expensive. 10-speed needs Honda/Acura Type 2.0; 5 and 6 speed take DW-1. They are NOT cross-compatible.

BTW, @Derieileak, are you aware of the "clutch break-in procedure" that may be applicable to particularly "jumpy shifting" 2019 RDX's? ( Dealer service ) This is a known issue for the low-gear shifts, especially with very early production 2019 RDX's that don't have much wear on them. I wouldn't say mine is silky smooth, but I do think it's getting a bit smoother with wear. YMMV

Last edited by Wander; 04-14-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Wander is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 11:30 PM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Minnesota
Age: 27
Posts: 473
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander View Post
That is good practice on the 2005 MDX with the 5-speed transmission, especially because of the cumulative miles and years of use. That's what I usually do with our well-loved 2005. And also with its stablemate, a 2014 MDX ( 6-speed ). That ATF is pretty cheap, so it mostly costs my time. But this is considered a "flush", not a routine ATF change. AFAIK a dealer would charge extra for that.

Dunno on 2019 RDX, but I probably won't worry about it for the first couple of changes. YMMV

BTW, it's a different ATF fluid for the 10-speed than 5 or 6 speed, and I think it's a couple bucks more expensive. 10-speed needs Honda/Acura Type 2.0; 5 and 6 speed take DW-1. They are NOT cross-compatible.

BTW, @Derieileak, are you aware of the "clutch break-in procedure" that may be applicable to particularly "jumpy shifting" 2019 RDX's? ( Dealer service ) This is a known issue for the low-gear shifts, especially with very early production 2019 RDX's that don't have much wear on them. I wouldn't say mine is silky smooth, but I do think it's getting a bit smoother with wear. YMMV
yea I have heard of that, seems like mine is just jumpy when initially cold and after about 2-5 minutes of driving it because smooth for most the shifts after that, although some are still a bit more bumpy then I would like, I do have 9k miles on mine already and I have lots of fun with it, so I would imagine the clutches in my tranny would be decently broken in, thatís why I wonder if the fluid level is possibly low, I would imagine as it warms up it expands, so maybe when itís cold itís low, idk 😁 does seem to be smoothing our the more I drive it.

also I will add exactly what you emphasized, the hardest part of the ATF change is not having a lift and needing the Car level to do it correctly, Iíll probably have to buy a few more jack stands to do mine and maybe another hydraulic jack as backup, but first ATF change is what @ 30k?? Luckily the rear diff is easy to get too so that should be cake to change at 15k, I wonder when the front diff is due, with the transmission perhaps?

Last edited by Dereileak; 04-14-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Dereileak is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 01:20 AM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 849
Liked 203 Times in 138 Posts
Front transfer case is usually serviced on the same schedule as the transmission. I think mostly because they are inches apart.

It just takes about a half quart of hypoid gear oil, so no biggie. The hardest part is pumping the stuff in there with a hand pump, especially if it's cold.
Wander is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 09:23 AM
  #19  
Registered Member
 
quantum7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 762
Liked 191 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander View Post
ē
I think part of the reason this thing doesn't have a dipstick is because it's sensitive to contamination. But I have no evidence to back that up. Just general angst about these transmissions. I routinely change ATF in 5-6 speed transmissions.
I think that it is Acura kicking a dealer its dealers big mark up maintenance item. My shop loves to get my car so that they can overcharge for basic work and to recommend work that is not in the manual or is made up. My car has avoided the dealer for several years now. Some of the quotes that I have seen for basic oil/other fluid changes are crazy. Plus you get the "new kid" doing this work. You may be right that it is to protect the transmission......
quantum7 is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 10:19 AM
  #20  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Arizona
Age: 67
Posts: 397
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I'm not sure how many, but there are a lot of current cars that don't have transmission dipsticks anymore, it is not unique to Acura.
The last Toyotas I owned didn't, and our current 2015 Ford Escape doesn't either. A quick search shows most Fords, Chevys, Toyotas, and Hondas don't either.

Here's an interesting (possible) explanation.

No dipstick

Another article with bit more info:

More info

Last edited by JB in AZ; 04-15-2019 at 10:23 AM.
JB in AZ is online now  
Old 04-15-2019, 11:31 AM
  #21  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 849
Liked 203 Times in 138 Posts
I hadn't thought about the quickie lube places possibly using the wrong fluid ( or worse yet, hooking it up to one of their power-flush machines ). I stopped using those places many years ago.

OTOH both of those blurbs are from independent service groups, and they sound like infomercials.
Wander is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 12:06 PM
  #22  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Arizona
Age: 67
Posts: 397
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander View Post
I hadn't thought about the quickie lube places possibly using the wrong fluid ( or worse yet, hooking it up to one of their power-flush machines ). I stopped using those places many years ago.

OTOH both of those blurbs are from independent service groups, and they sound like infomercials.
Yeah, could be, they were just two I quickly found with an explanation, and seemingly the same explanation.
Anyway, it sounded reasonable.
I don't remember the first vehicle I had without a trans dipstick, but I do remember it was hotly debated on the forum at the time.
JB in AZ is online now  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Nedmundo
2G TSX Problems & Fixes
6
04-11-2019 07:59 PM
Knicee
Second Generation TL (1999-2003)
3
04-04-2019 11:23 AM
TLXinTX
Fifth Generation TLX (2015+)
6
04-01-2019 07:47 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission fluid level


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.