AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX DIY & FAQ (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-diy-faq-460/)
-   -   Blackout! Turning an Advanced into an A-Spec (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-diy-faq-460/blackout-turning-advanced-into-spec-970867/)

Last Username Left 12-07-2019 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by murdermaschine (Post 16514181)
I pickup the car tomorrow and have been pricing things out - I was quoted 500.00 to do a chrome delete (wrap)... I have only received one quote so far and actually don't know what to expect price wise.

What kind of warranty does it come with? My wrap is considerably more, but comes with an unconditional 5 year warranty. They are known for amazing work. This is probably the simplest job they do, though, but it allowed me to get the exact shade I wanted - which I couldn't do getting the stock parts.

iforyou 12-08-2019 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by lil12002 (Post 16511249)
how much did it set you back?

hmm not much since it's a DIY job. I think I bought a roll of 3M vinyl wrap 5'x8' for under $100.

Probably took me and my friend a total of 5 to 6 hours.

warrior15r 12-08-2019 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by iforyou (Post 16514402)
hmm not much since it's a DIY job. I think I bought a roll of 3M vinyl wrap 5'x8' for under $100.

Probably took me and my friend a total of 5 to 6 hours.

We completed the door trim and emblems. We are planning to do the window chrome trim ourselves as well. Do you have any tips on how to tuck the edges? It seems like there is no room to tuck. Did you use a blade or knife less tape?

murdermaschine 12-08-2019 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Last Username Left (Post 16514350)
What kind of warranty does it come with? My wrap is considerably more, but comes with an unconditional 5 year warranty. They are known for amazing work. This is probably the simplest job they do, though, but it allowed me to get the exact shade I wanted - which I couldn't do getting the stock parts.

2 Year warranty on the install. He says its 3m which should last 5-10 years depending on car washing techniques.

TEAMSLO 12-30-2019 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by WunderWagen (Post 16480650)
Answered my own question and ordered the parts today. :cheers:

Front Bumper parts:
Garnish Right = 71104-TJB-A50
Garnish Left = 71109-TJB-A50
Inlet Grill Right = 71103-TJB-A50
Inlet Grill Left = 71108-TJB-A50
Duct Right = 71112-TJB-A50
Duct Left = 71117-TJB-A50

Front Grill surround = 71122-TJB-A50

Door Parts:
Door Garnish Right Front = 72312-TJB-A11ZA
Door Garnish Left Front = 72352-TJB-A11ZA
Door Garnish Right Rear = 72812-TJB-A11ZA
Door Garnish Left Rear = 72852-TJB-A11ZA

Trim above doors on side:
Top Door Sash Molding Right Front = 72425-TJB-A11
Top Door Sash Molding Left Front = 72465-TJB-A11
Top Door Sash Molding Right Rear = 72925-TJB-A11
Top Door Sash Molding Left Rear = 72925-TJB-A11
Rear Quarter Glass with Molding Right = 73500-TJB-A11
Rear Quarter Glass with Molding Left = 73550-TJB-A11

The above parts are what is needed to convert a RDX to Black A-Spec trim.

Thanks for this.....

lil12002 12-30-2019 04:04 PM

When i was at the acura dealer i got a quote from the parts department

340 for the side door pieces in black for both sides from acura, 140+188 for the complete front

gkgindfw 01-18-2020 01:09 AM

I agree and would prefer to replace with the A-Spec trim pieces. Did you do the labor yourself? Do you mind sharing the cost of the parts and the labor if you had it done? Thanks!

behindthesmilz 01-20-2020 06:57 PM

I want the Chrome Back

I know you guys are gonna think im crazy but i just bought a 2019 RDX tech package from a used car dealer. I saw that all the chrome accents were blacked out and i think its to much on a vehicle thats already black. I swore up and down that it was wrapped but when i got the car home It looks stock but again i dont know if the wraps are so good nowadays that it seems real. I thought the guy replaced them for the aspec parts, but seeing that there is like no one that sells them aftermarket. I am starting to think maybe it is wrapped but how do i know? and what do i look for? and how do i get the stock door moldings/ lower bumper moldings, and grill molding. i cant find them anywhere???

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...933f6105e8.jpg

WunderWagen 01-21-2020 03:05 PM

Looking at your pic the front bumper pieces are definitely A-Spec and not vinyl covered stock as the Tech uses a different side grill and scoop (L shaped not C). If they went far enough to swap out the front bumper pieces (Including adding the LED fog lights that are not standard on the Tech) then they may have swapped everything out like we did to ours.

The one hard part to swap is the rear quarter glass with trim, but looks like the upper window trim on yours is still chrome. I bet the black pieces on yours are actual A-Spec on the front and doors.

As for buying the chrome trim, your local dealer can get all of that just by using your VIN to look up what came on your Tech RDX from the factory.

behindthesmilz 01-21-2020 03:26 PM

wow thanks for that information it makes alot of sense.

gkgindfw 01-21-2020 06:21 PM

WunderWagen - did you to the labor yourself to replace with the A-Spec trim or have it done by a body shop? If done by a body shop, do you mind sharing the cost?
Thanks!

WunderWagen 01-22-2020 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by gkgindfw (Post 16529569)
WunderWagen - did you to the labor yourself to replace with the A-Spec trim or have it done by a body shop? If done by a body shop, do you mind sharing the cost?
Thanks!

For the door trim we did it ourselves. Not too bad to do but the original pieces take some effort to pull off.

For the upper window trim, we also did this ourselves except for the rear quarter window. We used a local glass installer (Safelite) to do the rear trim for $160 total since the glass is glued on.

For the front bumper and grill, we had this done along with the fog light installation (which we included as part of the new vehicle purchase) by the dealer so it only cost an extra $100 labor charge since the bumper had to be removed for the fog lights anyways. If you were having the A-Spec trim added separate after purchase I think the dealer said it would be around $650 labor.

WunderWagen 01-22-2020 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by gkgindfw (Post 16528524)
I agree and would prefer to replace with the A-Spec trim pieces. Did you do the labor yourself? Do you mind sharing the cost of the parts and the labor if you had it done? Thanks!

I added the labor cost in another reply above... but for parts I used Curry Acura for the online pricing and then had my local dealer match their price. :)

behindthesmilz 01-22-2020 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by WunderWagen (Post 16529982)
For the door trim we did it ourselves. Not too bad to do but the original pieces take some effort to pull off.

For the upper window trim, we also did this ourselves except for the rear quarter window. We used a local glass installer (Safelite) to do the rear trim for $160 total since the glass is glued on.

For the front bumper and grill, we had this done along with the fog light installation (which we included as part of the new vehicle purchase) by the dealer so it only cost an extra $100 labor charge since the bumper had to be removed for the fog lights anyways. If you were having the A-Spec trim added separate after purchase I think the dealer said it would be around $650 labor.

What did you need to do to remove the door moldings? I am not seeing any videos online?

WunderWagen 01-22-2020 03:56 PM

Just a trim removal tool and some brute force.

behindthesmilz 01-22-2020 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by WunderWagen (Post 16529982)

I wish i know it was all 3m so i wouldnt have to worry. I think i saw someone say 3m and a click

gkgindfw 01-22-2020 05:39 PM

Thank you for the detailed response. It's greatly appreciated.

Midnight Mystery 01-23-2020 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by behindthesmilz (Post 16529131)
I know you guys are gonna think im crazy but i just bought a 2019 RDX tech package from a used car dealer. I saw that all the chrome accents were blacked out and i think its to much on a vehicle thats already black. I swore up and down that it was wrapped but when i got the car home It looks stock but again i dont know if the wraps are so good nowadays that it seems real. I thought the guy replaced them for the aspec parts, but seeing that there is like no one that sells them aftermarket. I am starting to think maybe it is wrapped but how do i know? and what do i look for? and how do i get the stock door moldings/ lower bumper moldings, and grill molding. i cant find them anywhere???

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...933f6105e8.jpg

See if it grows on you... It's a unique look and someone spent a lot of time and money to make it look this way!

My vote would be to embrace it and finish the look with larger black wheels and tinted windows! :D

WunderWagen 01-23-2020 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16530173)
See if it grows on you... It's a unique look and someone spent a lot of time and money to make it look this way!

My vote would be to embrace it and finish the look with larger black wheels and tinted windows! :D

Gets my vote as well! ;)

chappyja 03-13-2020 01:02 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...752b768d3.jpeg
So, this was phase 1, done about 6-8 months ago using all OEM parts. I'm on to phase 2 - just ordered the window sash parts and the rear quarter windows and the black roof rails. The chrome ones will go on the marketplace and sold/shipped in the same box that my blacks ones are delivered in. Phase 3 will be the rims that I have but I don't want to swap my perfectly good tires until I actually need new tires :)

When it is done, it will be a full exterior using all OEM Acura A-Spec parts, but Tech package and the tan interior :)

chappyja 03-25-2020 03:56 PM

Ok, phase 2 is done. When my tires are worn through, the A-Spec rims will go on... Actually, phase 2.5 are the rear tail lights which I have. I'm not touching the headlights.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...0b8901892.jpeg

SpaceBot 04-15-2020 03:04 PM

I have an Advanced 2020 model...I'm looking to also add the A-SPEC trim, the cost to do so seems reasonable and similar to doing a wrap.

I had some questions:
- how do you pull of the lower bumper left and right mesh area where the wheel well air intakes are? I know two pieces are needed here. The mesh and the blacked out ASPEC trim.
- does the back lower rear spoiler for the ASPEC fit on the Advanced? I know the exhaust tips are larger on the ASPEC...would it look weird?
- Also, how easy is it to remove the front grill and replace it with the ASPEC one?

Thanks!

chappyja 04-15-2020 04:32 PM

To do the front bumper pieces and the grill, the front bumper actually has to come off. Personally, I had a body shop do this for me and it was like $100 in labor and well worth it since I'm far from comfortable doing something like that. Everything is held in with screws and clips, but they aren't accessible with the bumper on the car. The other piece that I had an auto glass window place do are the rear quarter windows. My goal was to not wrap anything or plasti dip and the only way the back window chrome can be replaced was to replace both windows. To me, that was a professional job. Everything else I did myself... I'm not sure about the rear piece. I have a hitch.

SpaceBot 04-15-2020 05:49 PM

Oh man, that is way more involved than I thought it would be.

He Zhijian 05-02-2020 02:34 PM

Hello,I want to know if Front Grill surround = 71122-TJB-A50 was already gloss black color or chrome color.My car was rdx base model,so I want to remove chrome front grill ,change gloss black color .Thank you so much.

He Zhijian 05-02-2020 02:42 PM

front drill(71122-TJB-A50)

If front drill(71122-TJB-A50)have already black color?Thank you so much.

chappyja 05-02-2020 04:57 PM

Yes, that part will be gloss black, not chrome. Keep in mind that you need to remove the bumper to replace that part because the screws holding it in are behind it and not accessible without removing the bumper. Good luck!

SpaceBot 05-02-2020 04:59 PM

Anyone replace the back bumper trim with the ASPEC trim yet? It has useless fins...but does add to the sportiness. I looked into it and the part isn't too costly. Seems simple to install. It's supposed to be removed completely when installing a tow hitch.

chappyja 05-02-2020 05:12 PM

I have the hitch and use it frequently with a mountain bike rack, so haven't done that. I did swap to the A-spec rear lights though and that was pretty easy...

SpaceBot 05-02-2020 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by chappyja (Post 16572000)
I have the hitch and use it frequently with a mountain bike rack, so haven't done that. I did swap to the A-spec rear lights though and that was pretty easy...

The ASPEC lights are justed smoked a little bit right?

chappyja 05-02-2020 05:27 PM

Instead of chrome being an accent on the inside of the light, it's black. Same with the head lights, but those are way to pricey.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...7cfa707bc.jpeg

SpaceBot 05-02-2020 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by chappyja (Post 16572004)
Instead of chrome being an accent on the inside of the light, it's black. Same with the head lights, but those are way to pricey.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...7cfa707bc.jpeg

So the left side of the tail lights are unchanged? Just need to order the inner tail gate pieces?

chappyja 05-02-2020 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceBot (Post 16572014)
So the left side of the tail lights are unchanged? Just need to order the inner tail gate pieces?

yeah just the two parts on the tailgate... the outer lights are the same.

He Zhijian 05-03-2020 10:52 PM

Chappyja.Thank you so much.

He Zhijian 05-03-2020 11:01 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Dele...s/254428409719Has any friend tried this product? It's cheap and available on eBay. It's just 49.99.

He Zhijian 05-03-2020 11:03 PM

chrome delete kit

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...40bf1a3b34.jpg
chrome delete kit

He Zhijian 05-03-2020 11:09 PM

Very cool.How much is this light assembly kit?Thank you so much.

He Zhijian 05-03-2020 11:13 PM

cool

[QUOTE=chappyja;16572004]Instead of chrome being an accent on the inside of the light, it's black. Same with the head lights, but those are way to pricey.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...7cfa707bc.jpegVery cool.How much is this light assembly kit?Thank you so much.

chappyja 05-04-2020 10:11 AM

I got these on ebay, so it will probably vary. They were from a reputable used parts place and their description of them was that they were like new and they were.

chappyja 05-04-2020 10:12 AM

I think https://acurazine.com/forums/members/wendtdc13-344973/ did some wrap that he got from Ebay....