USB input weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
USB input weirdness

I am finding that the usb input in the center console is quite flaky... at vehicle start, the rdx will randomly decide not to recognize whatever usb device is attached. Somtimes unplugging and plugging in will fix the problem, and sometimes none of the three usb devices I have in the vehicle will be recognized.

I kept an old iPhone plugged in my TLX for years, and maybe only had less than 5 times when the USB port wouldn’t recognize the device.

Is anyone else finding this? Any tips or tricks?

Old 10-26-2018, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Mine is working without issue. I do not use it to connect any type of 'smart' device - just a flash drive with a bunch of music. One time it 'lost' connectivity and I had to unplug/replug the drive but I'll write that off to user error because I was quickly switching between audio inputs (USB to FM to XM to USB) right after starting the car and it was still initializing everything.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've seen this only with a bad cable. New cable, no problem.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
thanks, I will give a new cable a shot...
Old 11-04-2020, 05:35 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about iphone 12?
Old 11-04-2020, 06:00 AM
LAJ
Cruisin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by qwxilvr
I am finding that the usb input in the center console is quite flaky... at vehicle start, the rdx will randomly decide not to recognize whatever usb device is attached. Somtimes unplugging and plugging in will fix the problem, and sometimes none of the three usb devices I have in the vehicle will be recognized.

I kept an old iPhone plugged in my TLX for years, and maybe only had less than 5 times when the USB port wouldn’t recognize the device.

Is anyone else finding this? Any tips or tricks?

I have a late generation iPod that works pretty reliably with the USB port, but nothing else does. USB drives - random disconnects and extended initialization. Older iPods not recognized. Have tried many different USB drives and cables. All firmware updates have been made. Drivability is great; Infotainment system is TOTAL JUNK. Search for the class action suit. Hasn't seemed to go anywhere, but hopefully it is still in progress.

Last edited by LAJ; 11-04-2020 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:02 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->For more information on Latest Tech News, visit the 4ProMedia website. But I can't resist writing that the iPhone 12 is a very cool model that moved the previous model a month later than usual, which means that technology fans were fueled by rumors and information gossips from production lines for a month longer. And yes, many details about the new products really became known even before the presentation, but it was still quite interesting to read it.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I have this problem. It happened more often before, but with the latest software it happens perhaps 1 in 5 times. Replugging sometimes helps, but when it doesn't turning car off won't help, since audio is still on. You need to open the door for a moment and then restart the car. My 32GB drive is plugged directly. I tried five different 32GB brands FAT32, ExFAT, different music formats (currently AAC) - no change. There was small improvement when I reduce amount of files on the drive (currently <20GB).
None of the brands of drives ever gets hot. It is plugged directly and under protective cover (low profile). I removed it on very long drive and it was not even warm to touch. Perhaps when people enter car on very hot day everything is hot and it takes time to cool down. Something hidden will stay hot longer making false impression that drive gets hot. My current drive is:
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-12-2020, 05:15 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Drivability is great; Infotainment system is TOTAL JUNK.
This sums it up perfectly. I’ve had the same issue with a usb thumb drive. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes unplugging it and replugging it in works, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes CarPlay works, sometimes it doesn’t. Not to mention the overly complicated touchpad that works differently with CarPlay than it does with the native entertainment system.

Compare this to every other vehicle I’ve used CarPlay with or the thumb drive with. All others are intuitive and work flawlessly. The RDX only works sometimes and it seems that Acura thinks if you make things more difficult to use, they can call it “technology”.