New Map Update email received 3/2/2022

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 11:26 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
New Map Update email received 3/2/2022

I received an email from the Acura Navigation Center today that there is a complimentary new map update available. I will download to a flash drive on the computer soon and install it into the car the next time I have a bit of a drive planned to avoid the potential of any battery issues when the car is turned off.
The following users liked this post:
rdxnguyen (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by gtssenior
I received an email from the Acura Navigation Center today that there is a complimentary new map update available. I will download to a flash drive on the computer soon and install it into the car the next time I have a bit of a drive planned to avoid the potential of any battery issues when the car is turned off.
Thanks for the "heads up". My RDX is a 2022 and I knew it was running an older version of maps; however, the "2022" wasn't available in the drop-down menu. It's there now and I will be able to update.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:53 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Successfully updated my Navigation to 2021.10.04 using a 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive, in Accessory Mode. Took about 20 minutes to download and 50 minutes to update my RDX Navigation.
rdxnguyen (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 02:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Got email also, its a first time I see email notification for map updates. Are these big changes that prompted Acura to send an email?
Old 03-02-2022, 06:34 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Ditto on notification.
Why...all of a sudden is Acura (HERE) advising customers that a map update is available? Certainly not anything they did before.
Why...in my last couple updates has the update stopped with a message that my internet connection has been lost? The first few updates never did this, and most importantly, my connection was never 'lost'. I would know if it was.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:48 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
How can you tell if it’s updating?
I downloaded the map update, inserted the usb drive, and then pushed the button to put the car into accessory mode.

But how can you tell if the map is actually getting updated???
Old 03-02-2022, 07:50 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
Ditto on notification.
Why...all of a sudden is Acura (HERE) advising customers that a map update is available? Certainly not anything they did before.
Why...in my last couple updates has the update stopped with a message that my internet connection has been lost? The first few updates never did this, and most importantly, my connection was never 'lost'. I would know if it was.
Wondering about that too. Having owned the 2020 RDX for a couple years now, this is the first I got email notification about a Map update. I'd take it, especially free updates while it lasts Looks like I got 3 or 4 years of free Map updates (from what it says on the Here Map update site). After that, I'd stick to Waze / Google Maps on AA.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cuzz
I downloaded the map update, inserted the usb drive, and then pushed the button to put the car into accessory mode.

If it's working like it did before, it should pop up something about updating the Map as soon as it detects the Map update in the USB stick. I'd just then wait. Listen to some podcasts, music. Once it's done, you'd get a notification on the screen that Map update is completed like the image below (that's from last year when I udpated the 2020 maps version). I know, not the most intuitive user interface/experience for updating a Map.

I also put together this Map update guide couple years ago, for those new to the Map update procedures.

Last edited by rdxnguyen; 03-02-2022 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Link to Map Update guide post
The following 2 users liked this post by rdxnguyen:
D-RDX (03-03-2022), jcross1231 (03-04-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 08:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cuzz

When in Navigation mode, press the Home button and then press Navigation again. It should say that the Navigation Maps are being updated.
Royki5cp (03-06-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 09:21 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Well, it's good that Acura finally made the effort to inform that there is a map update available. It was pretty lame to have these updates occur, and about the only people that knew were those on Acurazine after one of us stumbled across it. I saw the 'you got 3-4 years of free map updates with the car'...leaves me wondering which one it is, but assume it's 4. What I guess I don't know of course is how much this update costs when the time comes, and why, in the age of Waze, Google, Apple Maps...why any one would pay for a map update? The Acura map doesnt even compare well to those Waze, etc. maps anyway. Will just have to wait to see what the cost is. Our BMW used to require buying a new map disc with every update, if you chose to, but I don't recall exactly how much it was....$200---$250?
markm929 (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 10:02 AM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts
I would only be interested for the speed limit sign update. I’ve noticed it’s different from what Apple Maps/Google Maps shows in some areas.
Old 03-03-2022, 04:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EFR
Well, it's good that Acura finally made the effort to inform that there is a map update available. It was pretty lame to have these updates occur, and about the only people that knew were those on Acurazine after one of us stumbled across it. I saw the 'you got 3-4 years of free map updates with the car'...leaves me wondering which one it is, but assume it's 4. What I guess I don't know of course is how much this update costs when the time comes, and why, in the age of Waze, Google, Apple Maps...why any one would pay for a map update? The Acura map doesnt even compare well to those Waze, etc. maps anyway. Will just have to wait to see what the cost is. Our BMW used to require buying a new map disc with every update, if you chose to, but I don't recall exactly how much it was....$200---$250?
I bought my 2019 in June of 2018, so I will be one of the first ones of us I guess to see a charge when the complimentary time is up for updated maps. I just installed the 2021.10.04 map version update and saw the same message about 3-4 years of free ones. It has been over 3 years for me and I may find that I have to pay for the next update if I so chose. i do also use the other products via CarPlay so I probably won't get the fee update unless it is is very inexpensive.
The following 2 users liked this post by gtssenior:
amcobra (03-04-2022), markm929 (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 06:26 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

I cannot upload a photo because it is in an 'unaccepted file type'...so I will try and paint a picture...since doing the Nav update, I see a symbol in the upper right quadrant of the Acuras built-in Nav map screen that I do not recall seeing before. The symbol is an orange 'HD' with a curved line on the right side of these letters, also orange. This only appears when you click on the Nav button on the screen...and looks like this HD). So, did this suddenly appear, or has always been there?
Old 03-03-2022, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by EFR
I cannot upload a photo because it is in an 'unaccepted file type'...so I will try and paint a picture...since doing the Nav update, I see a symbol in the upper right quadrant of the Acuras built-in Nav map screen that I do not recall seeing before. The symbol is an orange 'HD' with a curved line on the right side of these letters, also orange. This only appears when you click on the Nav button on the screen...and looks like this HD). So, did this suddenly appear, or has always been there?
The HD) is the symbol for HD Radio. Do you have your FM Radio on besides the Navigation? Maybe the FM station is an HD Radio station and it is displaying on the Navigation map. I have seen this before on my 2019 RDX Navigation, but didn't think much about it. It may also be for HD radio traffic and weather.

Last edited by arjaykay; 03-03-2022 at 06:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by arjaykay:
EFR (03-04-2022), JB in AZ (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 08:44 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
Ditto on notification.

When I updated to the usb it popped up a "warning" that when you purchased the vehicle you were given 3-4 years of map updates for free, going forward you will have to pay for additional updates. Given that the map update is from 04Oct21 (5 months old update???) and they typically were released closer to the actual release date of the map, I would figure this was pushed more to get the warning that they are going to start charging for updates versus actually caring about updating. I look forward to paying the amount they charged for their dvd updates for these downloads in the future. /sarcasm. And I fear this was my last "free" update as I have a 2019 model RDX.

Last edited by markm929; 03-03-2022 at 08:47 PM.
EFR (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 09:04 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
.since doing the Nav update, I see a symbol in the upper right quadrant of the Acuras built-in Nav map screen that I do not recall seeing before. The symbol is an orange 'HD' with a curved line on the right side of these letters, also orange. This only appears when you click on the Nav button on the screen...and looks like this HD). So, did this suddenly appear, or has always been there?
That symbol does indicate that you are receiving a High Definition radio signal. That signal will provide traffic information to your map. You may have noticed that when the HD icon is visible, that the main roads on the map will be drawn in various colors (red, green, orange) to indicate congestion levels.

If I recall, you don't need to select the station on the FM radio. For example I can be listening to a radio station in my small town, miles away, that is not HD radio, but the HD icon will still appear if I am driving in a large city.
The following 3 users liked this post by RDX-Rick:
Chipdull (03-04-2022), EFR (03-04-2022), JandS Canada (03-07-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 09:28 AM
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question - I bought a certified pre-owned 2019 RDX in March 2021 from an Acura dealership. Does the 3 - 4 years of map updates apply to the date I bought the car or the original purchase date?
Old 03-04-2022, 10:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mroy5150
Question - I bought a certified pre-owned 2019 RDX in March 2021 from an Acura dealership. Does the 3 - 4 years of map updates apply to the date I bought the car or the original purchase date?
I am not sure that the map update vendor HERE would even know that the auto ownership has changed to you. When you download the update, you just put in the VIN and the date of the current map version to see if it needs updating. I don't think they know who is trying to update the map. I would ask the dealer where you bought the car your question.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:40 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 309 Likes on 190 Posts
downloading newest version now... .

2021 RDX with 2021.03.18 version.

*my home address has been around for 4yrs and can't be found on the 03.18 version - so i'm curious to see if 10.04 is indeed updated.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:17 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
That symbol does indicate that you are receiving a High Definition radio signal. That signal will provide traffic information to your map. You may have noticed that when the HD icon is visible, that the main roads on the map will be drawn in various colors (red, green, orange) to indicate congestion levels.

If I recall, you don't need to select the station on the FM radio. For example I can be listening to a radio station in my small town, miles away, that is not HD radio, but the HD icon will still appear if I am driving in a large city.
Thanks to the responses on the HD) symbol. I will keep an eye on it the next few drives and see if I see any traffic info. I don't use the cars nav much, but happened to see the HD) superimposed on the nav map screen and don't recall seeing that before. Of course...I have seen the HD symbol on FM stations.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Acura's instructions, and entire map update process, is awful. It took 9 hours for the update to download to my computer. High speed internet. They need to use Akamai or another CDN for their software downloads. Then, the written instructions suck. How bout a YouTube video? I plugged it into the USB while in accessory mode. Nothing. How long do I wait? Nothing in the instructions. OK after about 5 tries, I saw it took about a minute to identify the update. A quick "Update" message, then nothing. No more feedback. How long do I wait? Maybe another 9 hours like it took to create the USB? Come on, software engineers. A high school kid could do better than this.
The following 3 users liked this post by ovation:
fogdoctor (03-06-2022), marcolou (04-28-2022), NutznBoltz (06-20-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 11:15 PM
Touring

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by ovation
Acura's instructions, and entire map update process, is awful. It took 9 hours for the update to download to my computer. High speed internet. They need to use Akamai or another CDN for their software downloads. Then, the written instructions suck. How bout a YouTube video? I plugged it into the USB while in accessory mode. Nothing. How long do I wait? Nothing in the instructions. OK after about 5 tries, I saw it took about a minute to identify the update. A quick "Update" message, then nothing. No more feedback. How long do I wait? Maybe another 9 hours like it took to create the USB? Come on, software engineers. A high school kid could do better than this.
Had the same lack of feedback on the update going in. A brief message that I almost missed. Download only took about 10 minutes to the stick, though. I'm still not sure the car has updated. Haven't driven it since yesterday. I hope the "update complete" message is persistent enough that I see it.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jcross1231
Had the same lack of feedback on the update going in. A brief message that I almost missed. Download only took about 10 minutes to the stick, though. I'm still not sure the car has updated. Haven't driven it since yesterday. I hope the "update complete" message is persistent enough that I see it.
The update in the car took about 2 hours. The "update..." message is display for a couple seconds, then nothing. I left the car in accessory mode while doing this.a couple hours later it displayed "complete", until I opened the door, which erased the message. Then checked the map version and confirmed that it updated to the 2021 version
The following 2 users liked this post by ovation:
JandS Canada (03-07-2022), JB in AZ (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 10:17 AM
Advanced

Agreed with the least intuitive user experience for updates. If you access Navigation while it's still updating, it should show this message informing updating is still in progress. Normally, it takes about 1 hour. Updating mine now. Will see how long it'll take this time.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

Unlike your experience, on my 2021 RDX system (no tech package) the "updating..." message erased after a couple seconds, regardless of which mode I was in.
Old 03-05-2022, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Unlike your experience, on my 2021 RDX system (no tech package) the "updating..." message erased after a couple seconds, regardless of which mode I was in.
Yeah, the "updating..." message shows momentarily whenever you're accessing Navigation/Maps.

Finished updating mine a bit ago. Took about 1.5 hours. New map version: 2021.10.04
Old 03-05-2022, 03:02 PM
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts
I did the map update as well. Download took about an hour. I put the vehicle in Accessory mode to do the update with the keys in the console (parked inside the garage). After a minute or so, the vehicle recognized the update on the thumb drive and displayed "Updating navigation map..." for just a few seconds and then returned to the navigation screen.

At this point, as we all know, there is no indication (like a progress bar) that the update is still in progress. To confirm the update is still going, you have two options.
1: The first was already mentioned above by arjaykay -- press the Home button and then return to Navigation. The "Updating" message will be displayed again for a few seconds.
2: If you use a USB thumb drive with a built-in "activity" light on it, you can see the light flashing through the entire process, so you have a clear indication the update is in progress. On the drive I have, the light slowly pulses on/off when there is no activity. Of course, once it did that, the system displayed the "Map Update Complete" message. That message remains on the screen until you click "OK".

My update completed in one hour.

As noted on the "Map Update Complete" screen, you must restart the vehicle for the map version to update. If you check without restarting, it will show the old version.

Ron
Type X (03-06-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 03:03 PM
Pro

It would be nice if it could just update from my home wifi
Old 03-05-2022, 04:14 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ross7777
It would be nice if it could just update from my home wifi
Like...our son-in-laws 2019 Ford pickup...no memory stick, no process, just push a button on his infotainment, the way it should be.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:20 AM
OG

Received 163 Likes on 100 Posts
i never got the email but checked my version and its from 2018! lol
I went on the acura site and it says vin not found so i have to wait for support tomorrow.

i checked with a cpo rdx on the dealer lots vin and site worked so def just a 2019 issue or i'd knock it out today
Old 03-06-2022, 10:06 AM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Another Acura software fail... way too difficult with very poor user interface to understand what is or isn't going on. Do the Acura software folks think this is the way it should work? Due to the insanity of the vehicle market, ridiculous pricing, increased lease/loan rates, I might have to buy my 2020 RDX even though Brandon's energy policies have me longing for a gas/hybrid (no electric crap).
Old 03-07-2022, 07:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Shouldn’t they do this with service

Is it just me, or shouldn’t they do this when you bring the car in for overpriced service? I mean, first of all, who has a 33 GB flash drive laying around? Second, who know how all this works better than the folks in the service department and wouldn’t it make you feel great if they said while you were there, would you like us to go ahead and update your map, there will be no charge for it. Third, I remember being told when I bought the car I’d have to pay for updates so I’m kind of annoyed I’ve now been eligible for an update practically since I’ve owned it, but never knew. What service.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pirate Princess:
amcobra (03-07-2022), NutznBoltz (06-20-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 09:35 AM
Touring

Originally Posted by Pirate Princess
Is it just me, or shouldn’t they do this when you bring the car in for overpriced service? I mean, first of all, who has a 33 GB flash drive laying around? Second, who know how all this works better than the folks in the service department and wouldn’t it make you feel great if they said while you were there, would you like us to go ahead and update your map, there will be no charge for it. Third, I remember being told when I bought the car I’d have to pay for updates so I’m kind of annoyed I’ve now been eligible for an update practically since I’ve owned it, but never knew. What service.
I suppose they might do the update if you asked them to. I wouldn't expect them to have every customer they have bring their cars in for it.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:08 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 309 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura604
downloading newest version now... .

2021 RDX with 2021.03.18 version.

*my home address has been around for 4yrs and can't be found on the 03.18 version - so i'm curious to see if 10.04 is indeed updated.
LOL. nope...new update still cannot find my home address.. 4yr old place....
Old 03-07-2022, 01:16 PM
OG

Originally Posted by Type X
i never got the email but checked my version and its from 2018! lol
I went on the acura site and it says vin not found so i have to wait for support tomorrow.

i checked with a cpo rdx on the dealer lots vin and site worked so def just a 2019 issue or i'd knock it out today

figured it out, you have to have CONNECTED SERVICES enabled on the car for the website to locate the vin.
All good now !
Old 03-07-2022, 02:41 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pirate Princess
No, and quite frankly you shouldn't have to either. Our SIL's new Ford truck has his update show up on the infotainment screen, and he simply pushed something on the screen and the map update just happens....and that's the way it should be, just like an update to Waze on your phone. No offense against my wife, but I don't think she would ever figure out how to get the Acuras map update done....that Ford truck...anyone could do it.
amcobra (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 02:43 PM
Pro

Why is the update file so large?

I may just skip it as I use CarPlay anyway.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:04 PM
OG

Originally Posted by ross7777
Why is the update file so large?

I may just skip it as I use CarPlay anyway.
i only use carplay BUT while available for free im keeping the most current files avail to me in case im in an area where cell service weak
The following 2 users liked this post by Type X:
amcobra (03-07-2022), NBPDC505 (03-09-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 10:35 AM
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura604
LOL. nope...new update still cannot find my home address.. 4yr old place....
My house was built in 2012 and Google street view still shows a pile of dirt from 2007. Google Maps drops the pin in the middle of the street half a block away.
At least here! can find it. 😁
Old 03-08-2022, 05:30 PM
Touring

Had the stick plugged in for the entire 6 hour drive today. It flashes an "Updating Maps" message when plugged in. Never did complete the update, though. I'm still at 2021.08.xx. I was using the navigator the whole time. Hopefully, that doesn't block it. Need to check if the stick is formatted NTFS. Sometimes these things have to be formatted FAT. Any other ideas?

Quick Reply: New Map Update email received 3/2/2022