Have you noticed that location affects Infotainment startup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 10:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you noticed that location affects Infotainment startup?

Has anyone else noticed that the startup time required for Infotainment system and/or satellite radio varies based on your location? When I park at home (garage, so this is somewhat expected) or anywhere in my hometown (outside), the delay for the Infotainment system to fully boot and for satellite radio to begin playing, is typically 20-45 seconds (a loooong time in my opinion). However, when I park in the structure at work, the satellite radio begins playing before the spinning circles even appear on the Infotainment screen and the whole thing is up in a very short time - usually 8-10 seconds. I would understand the satellite not connecting immediately - because IMHO the Honda/Acura satellite receivers are very weak compared to other brands - so when I'm home, inside the garage it's clearly not going to pick up right away. But when it's outside, totally in the clear and it still takes a long time I don't get it. Just curious what others have experienced.

Also - had the same "usual" problems lots of others describe, with Carplay, connectivity in general, etc. - but for me got much worse when iPhone updates to 12.1.4. I now routinely have CarPlay disconnect at least twice on my 20 mile/35 minute commute each day. Did not ever have that happen prior to iPhone update. Strangely, this too seems to be somewhat location-based - I get the disconnect within 1/4 mile or so of the same location on my commute. And took the car on a long road trip last weekend (about 400 miles each way) and did not have it disconnect once. Odd...

Don't have any solutions or suggestions - just wondered what others may have noticed.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:09 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Is the AcuraLink cellular signal weak in your "home" location? Dunno what the startup sequence may be, but it's possible that is delaying things.

I notice the looong delay in the navigation system loading. Pretty much always.

Any radio station antennas or airport radar installations along your commute? Could be interference knocking CarPlay offline. I used to have random weirdness in another vehicle when I drove past a big radio antenna along my usual route.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Reset to factory settings

Originally Posted by eswanborg
Has anyone else noticed that the startup time required for Infotainment system and/or satellite radio varies based on your location? When I park at home (garage, so this is somewhat expected) or anywhere in my hometown (outside), the delay for the Infotainment system to fully boot and for satellite radio to begin playing, is typically 20-45 seconds (a loooong time in my opinion). However, when I park in the structure at work, the satellite radio begins playing before the spinning circles even appear on the Infotainment screen and the whole thing is up in a very short time - usually 8-10 seconds. I would understand the satellite not connecting immediately - because IMHO the Honda/Acura satellite receivers are very weak compared to other brands - so when I'm home, inside the garage it's clearly not going to pick up right away. But when it's outside, totally in the clear and it still takes a long time I don't get it. Just curious what others have experienced.

Also - had the same "usual" problems lots of others describe, with Carplay, connectivity in general, etc. - but for me got much worse when iPhone updates to 12.1.4. I now routinely have CarPlay disconnect at least twice on my 20 mile/35 minute commute each day. Did not ever have that happen prior to iPhone update. Strangely, this too seems to be somewhat location-based - I get the disconnect within 1/4 mile or so of the same location on my commute. And took the car on a long road trip last weekend (about 400 miles each way) and did not have it disconnect once. Odd...

Don't have any solutions or suggestions - just wondered what others may have noticed.
I had my Navi and XM system boot times increase after my initial update to 1.1.2

After I ran “reset to factory settings”, boot time and overall performance went to “normal”

worth the pain of resetting your car settings

Old 03-15-2019, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
When you did a “reset to factory settings" did you loose everything you had previously entered such as addresses, favorites, radio stations & downloads to Navi? I've been putting off doing the reset for fear id have to reenter everything.
The following users liked this post:
Marino Moutafis (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark S Long Island
When you did a “reset to factory settings" did you loose everything you had previously entered such as addresses, favorites, radio stations & downloads to Navi? I've been putting off doing the reset for fear id have to reenter everything.
Yes, unfortunately you have to do this.

In my case, it really fixed my issues, and 'sped' up boot time and app switching.

Good luck
Old 03-15-2019, 09:57 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Perhaps a silly follow up question, Does factory reset also loose other personal settings like doors lock, light timing, seat position, HUD settings, etc.? if so, I might wait to the next system update expected later this month to see it if it fixes the issues.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark S Long Island
Perhaps a silly follow up question, Does factory reset also loose other personal settings like doors lock, light timing, seat position, HUD settings, etc.? if so, I might wait to the next system update expected later this month to see it if it fixes the issues.
Yes, it resets all setting, including auto door lock setting, AcuraLink, bluetooth, CarPlay and HUD. It's like a reset iPhone, ready to be personalized.

In my case, it was worth it to do it immediately. I use XM mostly, it was unusable for 1 minute after launching the XM app, regardless if the car was running another program (CarPlay) first.

Oddly, It door not effect seat memory settings
Mark S Long Island (03-15-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 10:11 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
I find that turning off the audio power on the steering wheel before shutting the engine off and then turning the audio power on the steering wheel 30 seconds or so after starting the engine makes for a reliable and consistent boot up of the audio system. The navigation system seems to come online more consistently too. My guess is that this has the effect of creating a delay until the prerequisite code is fully loaded and operating. Once this sequence becomes a habit it is not really an aggravation any longer. For me the consistency is worth a slight wait.
Padre Dave (05-02-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 11:41 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Update

So - last week I attempted to reinstall 12.1.3 on my iPhone - the last time it worked at least reasonably well. Apple has blocked that, so I wound up with just a clean 12.1.4 but then fully restored (meaning other than the 90 minutes of my time, not really any different than where I started). Next morning on my commute, same disconnect problem.

I decided to try removing AcuraLink app from my phone. Since my Security subscription was up and the only thing I'd used it for was Remote Start a few times, I definitely won't miss it. Especially the annoying pop-up every time I started the car. I really don't understand why AcuraLink app has to come to the front on my phone just because it's paired to the car - there's very little usable functionality. In any case... since removing AcuraLink, my phone has not disconnected once.

Again, I had virtually zero use for AcuraLink app - unless I'm missing some amazing feature - so I'm thrilled to have at least a quasi-working connection again. Still have all the flakiness of the Infotainment System - Function Unavailable, system errors, lag, etc. - but my phone doesn't disconnect 3-4 times every drive (especially maddening when on a phone call).
Old 03-22-2019, 09:40 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm starting to believe the reason why I am problem free 7 months after purchasing my RDX is that I don't use Carplay or S-XM .Might start if we get Android Auto though.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:49 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Knock wood, but since the latest RDX update, I have not had any problems. I use the link to send destinations, to remote start, and get status. I use carplay, and I use XM. So far, it has been stable.

Hopefully, the next update with focus on stability, and give you guys Android Auto.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:05 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Every time I start the car it takes 30-45 seconds for the infotainment to boot up. Does anyone's RDX boot quickly, or is this the norm? I'm wondering if mine needs to be replaced. Yesterday my wife drove a MB A220 and the mBux system loaded immediately when we turned the car on. Literally within 1 second both digital screens were loaded and radio playing.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:04 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I never measured it, but my system takes a bit of time to boot up as well. And so did my prior car’s system. So does my PC, my my phone, pretty much any of my devices that need to be booted from a shutdown. I just live with it.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:32 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Sometimes audio will start within seconds and other times, like over the weekend it can take 5-10 minutes.

On mine, the radio tends to start immediately but sometimes it doesn't want to play for awhile. USB audio is the one that is really variable. As Madd Dog said, it has gotten much better starting with the mid-winter update, but lately my initialization times are starting to stretch.

One other variable that got a lot of attention on this site is to leave the infotainment controls alone until the normal screens display. Hitting anything before that has a tendency to confuse the program and greatly lengthen the time until music plays or the nav unit navigates.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I get what you are saying about not touching buttons, unplugging USB, doing 3 finger resets, etc but this is a 45k vehicle that's been out a year and they still haven't figured it out. Mercedes mBux is brand new and works flawlessly and boots in 1 second. Not even going to mention Android Auto. Lets go Acura get it together and get this system fixed. Spent the weekend driving friends and its embarrassing having a new vehicle's screen blink light to dark and flash 'drive mode unavailable' constantly and 'function not available' when trying to play music.

Last edited by Njbrandon; 04-23-2019 at 09:28 AM.