Deleted file folders are still visible

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Deleted file folders are still visible

Strange problem I am having. Music files that I have deleted from from my usb drive are still accessible in my rdx. I have tried full formatting, the files do not appear when connected to my pc but will appear when use in the rdx. Is there some memory function in the audio system that remembers the deleted files from that usb drive?
Using a sandisk extreme.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
It might be the indexes are stored (but not the actual files) and that's what's showing. Have you actually tried playing the deleted file(s)?

Inserting a different flash drive and having that indexed should clear the old information, you can then insert the modified original drive and have it reindexed in it's current state.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:36 AM
Intermediate

The funny thing is that those files will play. I try your suggestion and I'll let you know how it pans out.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Do you have a Windows based system? When you did the format was it a 'quick' format? If so the data is it's not really erased from the device - the FAT is reset and the space is made available for reuse. Sounds like that may be what's happening since the data is still there the head unit is using the stored index to go directly to it even though the PC shows nothing.

It may also be the RDX has undocumented internal storage and actually saved the original USB drive contents and does not recognize that it's changed. This is just speculation on my part.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Intermediate

Well I have tried a full format, I did this using exfat I will try it again with the full format but this time as fat32. According to the ELS folks there is no built in storage in the RDX like there is in the MDX. But hey who knows. The system does seem to be very picky with the file formats. I will post when I try another stab at reformatting.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:55 AM
Intermediate

Doing a full format fixed it.
thanks for the inputs!