Back to the Garmin

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 09:48 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Back to the Garmin

My wife is back to her Garmin. Refuses to use the Nav system. She says typing in address is much slower than her Garmin. No ability to name Favorites. Using voice for addresses seems to be hit or miss. Takes too many seconds for the system to be ready for you to speak. The turn directions only say left or right but not the name of the street. No Detour button. The Nav refused to calculate a new route when she took a known route to avoid traffic. Another third parties first attempt at a Nav system and wanting or needing to be different. Broke my own rule about never buying the first production year of a new model. Having the Cargo Cover as an option on a 40+K car was not expected. We assumed it had one, but we nor the sales person checked that during the demo. Too soon but not sure I'm impressed with the MPG.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:46 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I've used several Navs newer vehicles. Namely Lexus and BMW. They can't touch Google Maps. The only reason I prefer cars with the NAV is because the screen is larger and incorporates other things like the stereo and climate control. Otherwise, I largely find the Nav useless. It appears the same applies to the new RDX.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:55 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
maybe it's because I grew up poor and DONT have ANY expectations for ANY vehicle.
Even if the vehicle costs over $100k, there STILL will be shortcomings.
ALL vehicles have compromises, especially the electronics. (since the auto manufacturer and suppliers have to design a system YEARS before it actually goes into service...which means, the electronics are ALREADY behind when the car debuts. )
Old 03-11-2019, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Disagree. Bench marking the Garmin functionality when designing a Nav system would seem basic? I understand a touch screen is probably a long term reliability issues. Not being able to Name a Favorite is a fundamental lack of functionality. I can't image that all or most of these issues would not be found with a proper focus group. The No Detour function and lack of street name with the turns are all programming functionality. Its clear programmed to talk more, but isn't any good without basic info. By the way why no digital speedo if you don't have Heads Up especially when they programmed a Minimal screen with nothing? Expected more from Acura and Honda. Some please tell me Auto Android will solve most of these issues.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:22 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
All of these things should have been apparent with some prior research and a thorough test drive.

Since all cars have compromises, you need to decide your priorities and your “must haves”. I know I was a PITA to the first salesman I met, but I still walked all around the car asking questions, and deciding which areas needed further research.

No digital speedo? If that was important, how did you not know this?
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
justnspace (03-11-2019), markm929 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 08:53 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I mean; it happens to me all the time when shopping for clothes...
"eh, i'll just grab these pairs without trying them on"

get home and the only person I can get mad at is me.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:06 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Apple Car Play to the rescue! You have a choice of Apple Maps, Waze and Google Maps.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
All of these things should have been apparent with some prior research and a thorough test drive.

Since all cars have compromises, you need to decide your priorities and your “must haves”.
Gonna have to respectfully disagree. While "must haves" can easily be checked, there is no way to test every facet of the vehicle on a test drive.

Here's my example:

When I purchased my 2014 RDX, it had never occurred to me that the built-in NAV couldn't be accessed while the vehicle was moving. (This was my first "built-in"- also coming from a trusty old Garmin.) It also didn't occur to me that the voice recognition was frustratingly less than useless. I enjoy having a big screen in the middle of the dash, but on trips, Mrs. DAVISinLA finds nearby restaurants and coffee stops with her iPhone. And entering a new address "on the fly" is simply impossible.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:21 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by davisinla
I enjoy having a big screen in the middle of the dash, but on trips, Mrs. DAVISinLA finds nearby restaurants and coffee stops with her iPhone. And entering a new address "on the fly" is simply impossible.
Are you still talking about the 2014?

I tried this going to my local movies yesterday just to test navigation, even though I knew how to get there. I used voice commands - no results. Then I went to the menu and searched under the entertainment/theater category. My local theater was the second result (because there is another theater even closer I don't go to). The name was completely different from what it's normally called, but I was able to find it and get directions within 15 seconds.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:50 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
With some use, I found the on-board Nav to not suck as much as I thought. Still prefer Waze and Google Maps if I MUST actually navigate through traffic.

Traffic info was better in Naples, that it is here in the Hudson Valley. I think it is because there are more, newer high-end cars using HERE.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
The RDX Nav does have a detour button. When a route is planned and you are following it, touch the bottom of the pad/screen and a detour option pops up. Works great for me. I also enter an address into my phone and then send it to the car rather than type on the Nav. It's really quick and simple.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

Since all cars have compromises, you need to decide your priorities and your “must haves”. I know I was a PITA to the first salesman I met, but I still walked all around the car asking questions, and deciding which areas needed further research.

No digital speedo? If that was important, how did you not know this?
Your a smart a..
Old 03-12-2019, 11:26 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by carson2246
My wife is back to her Garmin. Refuses to use the Nav system. She says typing in address is much slower than her Garmin. No ability to name Favorites. Using voice for addresses seems to be hit or miss. Takes too many seconds for the system to be ready for you to speak. The turn directions only say left or right but not the name of the street. No Detour button. The Nav refused to calculate a new route when she took a known route to avoid traffic. Another third parties first attempt at a Nav system and wanting or needing to be different. Broke my own rule about never buying the first production year of a new model. Having the Cargo Cover as an option on a 40+K car was not expected. We assumed it had one, but we nor the sales person checked that during the demo. Too soon but not sure I'm impressed with the MPG.
Where does she mount the Garmin? I have a long history of mounting functional Garmin GPS devices right next to dysfunctional Honda/Acura built-ins, but recent dash designs make this a challenge.

Gonna have to respectfully disagree. While "must haves" can easily be checked, there is no way to test every facet of the vehicle on a test drive.

Here's my example:

When I purchased my 2014 RDX, it had never occurred to me that the built-in NAV couldn't be accessed while the vehicle was moving. (This was my first "built-in"- also coming from a trusty old Garmin.) It also didn't occur to me that the voice recognition was frustratingly less than useless. I enjoy having a big screen in the middle of the dash, but on trips, Mrs. DAVISinLA finds nearby restaurants and coffee stops with her iPhone. And entering a new address "on the fly" is simply impossible.
We have a 2014 MDX "Tech" with that Nav. I feel your pain. And there's no good place to mount a Garmin...
Old 03-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkNinja75
Are you still talking about the 2014?

I tried this going to my local movies yesterday just to test navigation, even though I knew how to get there. I used voice commands - no results. Then I went to the menu and searched under the entertainment/theater category. My local theater was the second result (because there is another theater even closer I don't go to). The name was completely different from what it's normally called, but I was able to find it and get directions within 15 seconds.
Yes, I was referring to the 2014. The nearest I can figure is that the NAV in my vehicle doesn't understand English. That, combined with the fact that input is not possible while the vehicle is in motion, renders it useless unless an address had been entered - and selected - before driving.

Were you able to access the menu while the vehicle was moving?
Old 03-13-2019, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes, I was referring to the 2014. The nearest I can figure is that the NAV in my vehicle doesn't understand English. That, combined with the fact that input is not possible while the vehicle is in motion, renders it useless unless an address had been entered - and selected - before driving.

Were you able to access the menu while the vehicle was moving?
On my 15 I can do almost anything NAV related with voice commands, including entering addresses while the car is moving. It takes longer and requires a bunch of voice steps, but easy to do after some practice. Just need to make sure to pronounce everything very clearly.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:51 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by samiam_68
On my 15 I can do almost anything NAV related with voice commands, including entering addresses while the car is moving. It takes longer and requires a bunch of voice steps, but easy to do after some practice. Just need to make sure to pronounce everything very clearly.
The Alpine/Acura Nav in 2015 MDX got a software update that 2014 didn't, and a major added feature was enhanced voice input. Maybe the same for 2015 RDX. There was a hardware change for 2015 and the 2014 was orphaned.

So these Nav foibles are nothing new for Acura/Honda, sadly.

Now I think Acura is betting the farm on Google Maps via AA or CarPlay, but maybe they are finding out that it's unwise to make your business dependent on someone else's product.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:08 AM
Advanced

Thanks, found it.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:09 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by carson2246
Thanks, found it.
Found Detour button
Old 03-23-2019, 10:52 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
If I used the vehicle as a sales rep to make visits to clients I would find the lack of ability to put a meaningful name on an address as a very significant shortcoming. It does seem like a simple fix though to be able to add a name field to a destination record and use it in the "Find" function or the voice function to navigate to the corresponding address. The logic is already there for the "HOME" destination.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:57 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
I miss my trusty Garmin. I have used Garmin's for longer than I remember as I started with their simple hand held units a few decades back when I was still flying. My most recent car, a 2017 CR-V Touring used a lovely Garmin just like my 7" stand alone unit I had used on my 2012 CR-V.
Things I miss: Intersection view...so handy Lane assist....wonderful aid ....quick access to functions like detour, "along the way", and so much more. And, Garmin's live traffic (which is free forever) And how can I forget: Honda gave you five years of free updates with the Garmin.

Odd things about this Acura GPS: On categories I don't find "Lodging". I mean this is one commonly used function, especially for those of us who travel in this car. Really...I can find the local McDonald's but not a hotel? Also, it was vastly quicker and easier to move around on the Garmin. I admit that some of that was me being use to the Garmin after many years of use, but still!

My wife said it best: When you pay more for the car you expect a better nav system than your cheaper car had...not a worse one.

Any, just so this isn't a bitch fest, I am getting more use to this system and am making it do more and more but that does not change the simple fact that the lower priced Honda CR-V made in the same factory has a superior Nav system....AND works with Android Auto, WAZE, etc. This RDX tech is a step backwards in many ways. BUT, I love the car for its strengths and have no regrets. I just set my Garmin up on the dash when I travel!
Old 04-10-2019, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Waiting for Android play

Prefer Google maps as well, simpler to use and is more accurate.