Android Auto not showing maps and currently audio playing side by side

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 11:16 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Android Auto not showing maps and currently audio playing side by side

Hi all,

I just got the new 2022 RDX and tried looking this issue on this forum but don't seem to find anything about it. When i am using android auto and showing google maps, on the right hand side all i see are arrows and not showing for example Spotify playing my music. Am i missing a setting to enable side by side showing?
Old 11-16-2021, 11:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
How do you like your 22? Unfortunately, the secondary screen is always presented. It is a design choice by Acura that I have not found a way to override. But on 19-21 RDX, when GMap is in use, the secondary screen just shows Android Auto icon, so if the secondary screen on 22 shows the direction like in the instrument panel, then I think that is an improvement.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:25 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
How do you like your 22? Unfortunately, the secondary screen is always presented. It is a design choice by Acura that I have not found a way to override. But on 19-21 RDX, when GMap is in use, the secondary screen just shows Android Auto icon, so if the secondary screen on 22 shows the direction like in the instrument panel, then I think that is an improvement.
Loving the 22 so far! I have the PMC so it came with everything. I for sure hear alot less from outside with the new accoustic glass. I have attached a photo of what i currently see when im connected to AA. I'm expecting the right hand-side to show Spotify instead of it just saying AA. It seems like doing further research AA is capable of this and i will just have to wait and see if it will roll out for Acura.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:03 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
This is... unfortunately, normal operation.

I've been annoyed with the Android Auto functionality on the RDX for awhile. If you have Google maps up, you can't have anything in the second screen except for the time, the Android Auto icon, or the Acura Map. It's really annoying. I want my Google maps up along with my YouTube or Amazon music.

It is a pretty weak implementation of Android Auto. It could be a much better experience, but I don't think they'll ever improve this feature.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
For those interested in the technical details:
  • From what I can tell, the secondary screen is an extension of the status bar, and by definition of status bar, part of Acura's customized system ui.
  • If the status bar can somehow be hidden, I bet the secondary screen will disappear as well.
  • Unfortunately, I have not found out how to. Changing immersion mode through global-policy_change did nothing.
  • Firefox normally occupies the main screen, but when playing full-screen video, it takes up the whole screen (unfortunately with the secondary screen atop blocking the view). So unless there is a way to fake the screen resolution without root, in order to force the secondary screen and the status bar above to be drawn off screen, hiding the status bar seems the only way to go.
  • The customized system ui seems to provide API to show/hide the secondary screen. Maybe someone can try create a simple app that loads the dex file from system ui, and call the API to hide the secondary screen and see what happens.