Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 07:25 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
Many folks in this thread have recommended the Bosch Icon's, based on their previous experiences. I also tried several replacements on my 2016 RDX, and found that the Bosch Icons were the only ones that didn't leave bands of water on the windshield when the temperature dropped below freezing. I assume that this was caused by the rubber losing flexibility.

My 2020 RDX just turned 6 months old, and now that the cold weather has arrived, I am getting the water bands forming. I went to purchase the Bosch Icon's today, but every site (Bosch, Amazon, Canadian Tire) all report that the Bosch is not compatible with the 3rd gen RDX.

So, after reading all the earlier recommendations, has anyone actually installed the Bosch Icon's on their RDX. If they are the correct length, and have a compatible mounting system (a "J" hook) , then why wouldn't they work?
Bosch Icons ClearMax 365 Premium Beam wipers do work as I just bought them yesterday and they fit as is from the packaging. 26A is the driver side and 18A is the passenger side.
The following users liked this post:
RDX-Rick (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 09:29 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
Bosch Icons ClearMax 365 Premium Beam wipers do work as I just bought them yesterday and they fit as is from the packaging. 26A is the driver side and 18A is the passenger side.
Thanks Midwestuser1,

The performance of the Bosch Icons is certainly superior in my environment of snow, ice, and freezing temperatures. Of course they do have a premium price, which I was reluctant to pay without knowing if they would fit my RDX.

Based on your experience, I will be replacing the 6 month old OEM blades with the Icons.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:09 PM
Pro

Thanks Midwestuser1,

The performance of the Bosch Icons is certainly superior in my environment of snow, ice, and freezing temperatures. Of course they do have a premium price, which I was reluctant to pay without knowing if they would fit my RDX.

Based on your experience, I will be replacing the 6 month old OEM blades with the Icons.
I agree they do wipe very good! I’m in Wisconsin so we get our fair share of snowy weather as well.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:29 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
I replaced both the driver and passenger side wipers today with the Icons. They already wipe better than the OEM versions. The momentary haze that I used to get immediately following a swipe, doesn't occur with the Icon's.

The real test will be when we get some cold weather again with ice buildup. Probably 3/4 of US owners don't understand the problem we face with ice buildup. Any wiper that has moving parts on the blade (i.e. hinges) becomes ice bound, and will no longer flex to follow the curve of the windshield. That is why "beam" type wipers, like the Bosch Icon, are so important. The blade has no exposed moving parts that become ice bound. There are many brands of "beam" style wipers, but the Icon's have the added advantage of staying flexible in freezing weather conditions.

I think that finding a rear wiper with "beam" construction will be more difficult because very few companies manufacture blades as short as 12". Those companies that do have them, only carry the standard spring arm.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:43 PM
Pro

I replaced both the driver and passenger side wipers today with the Icons. They already wipe better than the OEM versions. The momentary haze that I used to get immediately following a swipe, doesn't occur with the Icon's.

The real test will be when we get some cold weather again with ice buildup. Probably 3/4 of US owners don't understand the problem we face with ice buildup. Any wiper that has moving parts on the blade (i.e. hinges) becomes ice bound, and will no longer flex to follow the curve of the windshield. That is why "beam" type wipers, like the Bosch Icon, are so important. The blade has no exposed moving parts that become ice bound. There are many brands of "beam" style wipers, but the Icon's have the added advantage of staying flexible in freezing weather conditions.

I think that finding a rear wiper with "beam" construction will be more difficult because very few companies manufacture blades as short as 12". Those companies that do have them, only carry the standard spring arm.

Agree they do wipe better than the OEM and I don’t see that “haze” either.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:59 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Our RDX is almost one year old and the original stock blades are crapping out (dragging and noisy). We're in NC with little to zero snow. Will be revisiting this thread after the holidays to see what you guys like for replacements.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:30 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Just bought new rubber inserts for all 3 blades.

How TF do you get the end cap off the front blades?
Old 12-21-2019, 02:45 PM
Skeptic

Oh. You don't have to remove the end cap.

DUH

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Ftj84T3eYx51iw
Old 12-21-2019, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Whats wrong with OEM blades? If they work well, and dont cost much
Old 12-21-2019, 05:57 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Whats wrong with OEM blades? If they work well, and dont cost much
Maybe nothing. I like Ikons, and bought them for the fronts, but got the inserts for the rears. If I like Ikons better, I will stick with them, if not, back to the OEMs. I stuck with the OEM inserts for my many Hondas, but did like the Ikons for my German.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:55 PM
Skeptic

Are the Icons rubber or synthetic? I had some Bosch synthetic blades years ago and I didn't like them. They were expensive and they sucked.

The OEM inserts I just changed work fine.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:39 AM
Drifting

I can no longer imagine a world without youtube. Had a hard time installing these Ikons, looked at the you tube, and no problemo.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:01 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Are the Icons rubber or synthetic? I had some Bosch synthetic blades years ago and I didn't like them. They were expensive and they sucked.

The OEM inserts I just changed work fine.
I believe they are just a rubber compound of some sort. I know silicone is the ‘designer’ material at present. Don’t know if it is any better but when you are 100% satisfied with the rubber ICONS, why change?
Old 12-23-2019, 11:35 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I can no longer imagine a world without youtube. Had a hard time installing these Ikons, looked at the you tube, and no problemo.
Yeah, I over-thumked changing the inserts in the front until I found a YouTube video that showed it was TOO easy.

The back is the same as my Honda and maybe there's a trick. I have to flex the metal stays more than I'd like to get the end in. But it does go in.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:22 PM
Drifting

Back in the ancient days before youtube, I probably would have tried to fix it with the basic manly tools of hammer, screwdriver and duct tape.
TheLevelOne (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 12:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Back in the ancient days before youtube, I probably would have tried to fix it with the basic manly tools of hammer, screwdriver and duct tape.
In that order..... LOL

The beam type wipers are awesome. They contact so much better and seem to me to last longer also. No snow in Florida but maybe they take the heat/sun better. Gone are the days of having to replace wipers every 4-6 months.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by robnalex
Our RDX is almost one year old and the original stock blades are crapping out (dragging and noisy). We're in NC with little to zero snow. Will be revisiting this thread after the holidays to see what you guys like for replacements.
OK, I'm re-reading this thread now. Yesterday we drove in steady rain and drizzle from Knoxville, TN to Raleigh, NC (6+ hours with rest stops). Except when there was heavier rain, the OEM blades dragged and were noisy the whole trip. The car is a 01-2019 build, purchased in May. Time to replace these NOW!
Old 01-28-2020, 08:41 AM
Drifting

Anyone using the silicone blades?

I am still using rubber ones. Changed to IKONs a month or so ago, and they are good.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:01 AM
Racer

OK, I'm re-reading this thread now. Yesterday we drove in steady rain and drizzle from Knoxville, TN to Raleigh, NC (6+ hours with rest stops). Except when there was heavier rain, the OEM blades dragged and were noisy the whole trip. The car is a 01-2019 build, purchased in May. Time to replace these NOW!
OK, DONE! Bosch Icon 2-Pack 26A18A $37.89 at Amazon.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:54 PM
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Q: Did you replace the wiper blade on the rear window?
Old 01-30-2020, 08:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR1
Q: Did you replace the wiper blade on the rear window?
No. That one's still OK.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:12 PM
Racer

No. That one's still OK.
Roger that. Thank you.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:30 PM
Racer

Easy Peasy, thanks to YouTube:
Old 01-31-2020, 02:41 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
I just change the inserts from the dealer parts store near me. Costs $15 for all three wiper inserts and now it wipes like new again. Changing them twice a year is more economical than buying new blades. No need to spend $40 on just two Bosch Icons and then having to replace them every year.
TheLevelOne (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 03:12 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I just change the inserts from the dealer parts store near me. Costs $15 for all three wiper inserts and now it wipes like new again. Changing them twice a year is more economical than buying new blades. No need to spend $40 on just two Bosch Icons and then having to replace them every year.
I agree. Changing the inserts is cheaper and the OEM blades are as good as any. After a couple years, when they get oxidized and maybe don't work all that well, I'll get new blades and maybe give the Bosch ones a try.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:54 PM
Pro

I agree. Changing the inserts is cheaper and the OEM blades are as good as any. After a couple years, when they get oxidized and maybe don't work all that well, I'll get new blades and maybe give the Bosch ones a try.
Even then, you can just buy the OEM ones and rinse and repeat. In the long run you save a significant amount of money. Replacing the front inserts for me costs less than $10 and less than five minutes of my time.

I’ve had Bosch Icons and while they wipe well, they don’t last very long and I often have to replace them in less than a year. OEMs wipe just as good, if not better than Bosch Icons especially when you can just replace those inserts every couple of months.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 01-31-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:17 PM
Skeptic

Can we talk about the rear for a moment? It's the same as my Honda and I think there's a trick I'm just not getting.

I place the two metal stays in the insert and slide it under the retainers on the blade. But it sticks out about half an inch. To get it all the way in, I have to bow the insert in the middle to the point where it deforms the metal stays more than they should. (I remove the blade from the arm first.)
Old 01-31-2020, 07:09 PM
Pro

Can we talk about the rear for a moment? It's the same as my Honda and I think there's a trick I'm just not getting.

I place the two metal stays in the insert and slide it under the retainers on the blade. But it sticks out about half an inch. To get it all the way in, I have to bow the insert in the middle to the point where it deforms the metal stays more than they should. (I remove the blade from the arm first.)
I just slide the whole thing in with the metal stays...never had to bow the insert. It should be quick and easy.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:32 AM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by pcmcia
I live in the Pacific Northwest too. However, I go the other route. Instead if changing the wiper blades, I apply water resistant coats on my windshield. I do that every half a year or so. I used to use rain-x but I find aquapel better and lasts longer. The water just files off the wind shield so that I don't need to use the wipers most of the time. I change ny wipers every 3 years or so. Just my 2 cents.
Did you clay bar the glass first? I'm thinking since i only have 4K miles it might not be necessary.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:16 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switched my front wipers to the bosch icon (because if this thread) about a month ago, not looking back. Now i need to change the rear window wiper but having some trouble finding a replacement. Any of you guys that have changed have any suggestions?

(First rodeo down the finance/lease route and the interacting with a dealer and what not, i read that some of you guys have just replaced the rubber through Acura, how does this work?)
Old 02-18-2020, 11:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by LOS_24
Switched my front wipers to the bosch icon (because if this thread) about a month ago, not looking back. Now i need to change the rear window wiper but having some trouble finding a replacement. Any of you guys that have changed have any suggestions?

(First rodeo down the finance/lease route and the interacting with a dealer and what not, i read that some of you guys have just replaced the rubber through Acura, how does this work?)
You buy the wiper inserts from Acura for $19 for all three wipers from Curry Acura on eBay and just replace the old wiper inserts yourself. Takes less than five min.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM...3850%7Ciid%3A1
The following 2 users liked this post by mathnerd88:
LOS_24 (02-20-2020), Lucky13's (09-26-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 09:15 AM
Skeptic

I don't think there's an after-market blade for the rear. The way it mounts to the arm seems rather unique (to Honda/Acura). You rotate the blade, flex it backward and slide it out. I learned the hard way with my Pilot, it's best to just replace the insert with OEM rubber. And don't lose the metal stays. If you do, you'll have to buy a whole new blade (about $35).

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 02-19-2020 at 09:18 AM.
LOS_24 (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 11:06 AM
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts
I don't think there's an after-market blade for the rear. The way it mounts to the arm seems rather unique (to Honda/Acura). You rotate the blade, flex it backward and slide it out. I learned the hard way with my Pilot, it's best to just replace the insert with OEM rubber. And don't lose the metal stays. If you do, you'll have to buy a whole new blade (about $35).
The connector is called Roc Loc 2 and there are aftermarket replacements. One example is Trico 12-B.
There is really no advantage to using an aftermarket blade except that they are less than $9.on amazon.
Amazon says that they do not fit the 2019 RDX but, as usual, Amazon is wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by catbert430:
LOS_24 (02-20-2020), NooYawkuh (02-19-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 06:43 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
You buy the wiper inserts from Acura for $19 for all three wipers from Curry Acura on eBay and just replace the old wiper inserts yourself. Takes less than five min.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM...3850%7Ciid%3A1

Does Curry Acura have a website of their own? I don't really mess with Ebay (long story). I saw the wiper insert in both:

https://www.curryacura.com/parts/ord...U9YXV0b21hdGlj

and

​​​​​​https://www.curryacuraparts.com/v-20...el--rear-wiper

The difference in price and website has made me wary of both.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by LOS_24
Does Curry Acura have a website of their own? I don't really mess with Ebay (long story). I saw the wiper insert in both:

https://www.curryacura.com/parts/ord...U9YXV0b21hdGlj

and

​​​​​​https://www.curryacuraparts.com/v-20...el--rear-wiper

The difference in price and website has made me wary of both.
I’ve personally ordered from curryacuraparts and their eBay store a couple times and have not gotten any problems from either.

Actually I lied. I ordered from their eBay store and once got the wrong part (it was a key cover for my fob.) They promptly sent the correct part next day and allowed me to keep the other one.
LOS_24 (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
https://www.curryacuraparts.com/ is legit. They are very good. Good prices and good shipping. Orders from them for years.
LOS_24 (02-21-2020)
Old 03-25-2021, 05:13 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Does Honda and Acura use the same inserts? There is a Honda dealer much closer to work, it would be easy to stop in and pick them up there.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2021, 06:00 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuzz
Does Honda and Acura use the same inserts? There is a Honda dealer much closer to work, it would be easy to stop in and pick them up there.

Thanks
My local Honda dealer stated they are different and they don’t carry the Acura inserts.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:18 PM
Racer

The Acura RDX wiper blades use Honda parts:

Driver Wiper Blade (650mm): 76622-TJB-A01

Passenger Wiper Blade (450mm): 76622-TJB-A01

Rear Wiper Blade (305MM) - Acura (76722-TJB-A01)
Old 03-25-2021, 08:25 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR1
The Acura RDX wiper blades use Honda parts:

Driver Wiper Blade (650mm): 76622-TJB-A01

Passenger Wiper Blade (450mm): 76622-TJB-A01

Rear Wiper Blade (305MM) - Acura (76722-TJB-A01)
I just bought a set of those a couple weeks ago at Acura. I've also gotten them at a Honda dealer. They come in Honda packaging with slightly different part numbers but it doesn't matter. I think the total was about $23.

My blades are still in excellent shape after 2 years. No reason to replace them.
JB in AZ (03-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Wiper Blades