Will your next car purchase be an Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 02:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Will your next car purchase be an Acura?

Based on your current experience with your RDX, will your next car be an Acura?
Old 02-22-2021, 03:01 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
No.

I expect my next car will be electric. Either full electric or plug-in hybrid. Even though there is nothing Acura now, I don’t trust their technology enough to even try if they put one out.
The following 6 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
hand-filer (02-22-2021), Jim7707 (02-22-2021), Legend2TL (02-22-2021), tecwerks (02-23-2021), thetrev68 (02-22-2021), Tom_D (02-22-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-22-2021, 03:53 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
I would buy an Acura again. Heck, if Acura came out with a Sport Hybrid RDX I'd probably trade my current car in for that. I too think that my next car (probably 8 years from now) will be electric, but we'll have to see how that market develops and whether Acura has something competitive. I can tell you right now though, I won't be buying a Tesla.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:20 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
No. Likely going Korean next. But definitely not another Acura.
The following users liked this post:
hand-filer (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 05:47 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Here is what I wrote in my two year review, about three weeks ago.

Overall I love the RDX. Would I buy another? TODAY? Yes, knowing what the competition has to offer. A year or two from now? Unknown, as I will have to see what else is available at that time, and at what price. As many here have said, price and upkeep costs were a big part of our decisions to buy the RDX. I share those thoughts. Maybe I won't buy another Acura, as I like to experience and enjoy different vehicles, and I might be running out of time to do that. Certainly not because I have been unhappy with my RDX.

New thoughts:

For me to go Korean (again) there would have to be a completely new dealership here, with completely new management both in the sales and service depts. In addition to the the worst ever experience in 45+ of dealership experiences with a 2017 Hyundai I bought new, the car was so badly designed and rushed to market, that I received over $8,000 from a class action suite! The early, and in some cases, ongoing infotainment issues with the RRX are so small on the scale in comparison, they don't even register.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 02-22-2021 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:59 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Probably. I am very satisfied with the RDX. It provides 90% of the features that I want at my budget $$.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:23 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Very likely not. It's a personal experience, but I don't feel like the build quality of Acura is worth the price premium. Heck, they're built in the same factory as Honda's, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise there.

Tom_D (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 07:14 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
No...Acura software sucks. The fact that I have a nav display that I only use with Car Play but can only use 2/3rd’s of is ridiculous. As far as 100% electric cars go... no thanks. I don’t need a coal powered car. Where do you think 90% of the electricity comes from? Lithium pools, more water use/waste and disposal of massive batteries notwithstanding, it sounds like a great idea. I’ll get a toyota/lexus or hyundai//kia hybrid and move on.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
No. Likely going Korean next. But definitely not another Acura.
That worked out well for me. 4 years of headache free ownership with the Sorento. So far so good with my Lincoln but I would seriously consider a Genesis product down the road.
Ih8honda (05-17-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by motif88
Where do you think 90% of the electricity comes from?
For me about 200% of my usage comes from my roof. For the country as a whole:

The following 3 users liked this post by Jim7707:
CanTex (02-23-2021), Legend2TL (02-23-2021), Waetherman (02-23-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I would buy another Acura. This is my 4th Acura. All have been reliable and long-lasting. I sure hope they come out with an all electric vehicle. It's unlikely they will but at least they should start.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:51 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
1) I can not honestly say what my next car will be. My Honda's and my Acura have all been great cars. Our 1999 Honda has been passed through the family and is still running every day and has around 300,000 miles on it. But, I will look at what else is out there when the time comes and see what suits me.
2) Korean car? Not for me. I have followed them since they first came. ( I was in the business and trust me, the American car companies were watching them closely). Good friend was a technical guy at Hyundai and we compared notes a lot. While they have improved greatly I don't want one, just because I don't.
3) VW? You have to be kidding. I don't care how much any VW fan praises them. My experience with them goes back to the 1960's. I use to own a few. Trust me, German engineering is over hyped. I lived there and had good German friends there working in the industry. They build some good stuff but its very expensive and Japan can produce an item that is at least 95% as good but cost vastly less and be cheaper to maintain. .
4) Electric car? We might get one someday to replace our little Honda Fit just to run around town, but that's it.. Wait and see. Mark my words, IC vehicles are far from dead. I can't imagine trying to make a cross country trip in an electric car in the foreseeable future. Did you read about Porsche and how they are developing a synthetic fuel that matches total emissions and is as "clean" as electric vehicles but without the limitations? BTW Honda is very much involved with electric cars and is working in partnership with GM on the next generation of electric vehicles. I believe their goal is to have something in the dealers by around 2024. GM has made some great strides in battery and platform technology. After all, GM's experience with full electric goes way back.
5) I am old enough to see a lot of people totally blow it when predicting the future, especially when it comes to cars. I don't pretend to have a crystal ball or secret insider information but I do know the industry moves slowly. We see great ideas that take decades to mature in the mainstream. Some look like a slam dunk but then fall on their face. I don't get excited when people start hyping the next great thing that will change the world.
The following 3 users liked this post by hans471:
amcobra (02-23-2021), ELIN (02-23-2021), JB in AZ (02-23-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 11:26 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
I don't know, but I'm not saying no. There has been nothing in my ownership experience so far that would preclude them from consideration -- assuming they'll have a V6 or hybrid in the car I want. I'm imagining now that my next choice could be a hybrid, but not fully electric. But, I can be fickle when it comes to car preferences and will change direction quickly if I find a compelling package. The only non-starter will be a turbo 4 engine -- not doing that again.

I'm expecting the next gen vehicles from Mazda will be on my list. I'm not close enough to their plans at this point to know timing, but if they get a ballsy I6 in a well-crafted, stylish crossover, I'm giving that a real hard look.

Last edited by DJA123; 02-22-2021 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:41 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by motif88
No...Acura software sucks. The fact that I have a nav display that I only use with Car Play but can only use 2/3rd’s of is ridiculous. As far as 100% electric cars go... no thanks. I don’t need a coal powered car. Where do you think 90% of the electricity comes from? Lithium pools, more water use/waste and disposal of massive batteries notwithstanding, it sounds like a great idea. I’ll get a toyota/lexus or hyundai//kia hybrid and move on.
If you live in the NorthEast, the electric likely does NOT come from coal.

Check out your state. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...our-state.html

NY makes next to none of it from coal.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I want it to be my next car, but unless Acura makes some huge leaps in 2 years - I can't imagine it being the case. Brands like the Genesis are doing Acura better than Acura - outputting desirable luxury vehicles at a price competitive to the luxury standards. Then, with every passing year - the common brands (Ford, Kia, Dodge, Hyundai) are adding features to their line up that make sitting in an Acura feel dated. (Setting aside the hilarity of the JD Power awards - the idea of "initial quality" and initial experience matter a lot. In one/two test drive(s), we're making a decision on something that we're engaging with for years.) I drive the RDX some times and I often wonder if the designers even test drove other cars in the segment. Like, did they get into an Q5 or an X3 then get into an RDX and think - "yeah, we cut corners in the right places to make this better". All that said, I did go with the RDX, but I was motivated by the value and (ironically) how weak of a presence it has. I'm a sucker for cars that look good, but don't tell you they look good. (The RDX doesn't even have an ADVANCE badge on their Advanced models - which, I hate and love at the same time, but there's no explanation to why. (Every other brand does it, even Honda!)

My feeling now is that if I'm still driving the RDX in 3 years, it's because I got a good deal on the lease buy out (which based on other threads here is between impossible and improbable). Given that the vehicle's interior looks dated now, I can only imagine how dated it'll look in 2023 - making it perfect as a daily driver.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Acura has been my last two cars (just got 3rd generation RDX). Serious was considering BMW X3, GV70, GLB. Had looked at BMW X7 (so nice but too expensive for me). I looked at Hyundai too. For this point in time the RDX fit the bill. I don't expect this to be true in two or three years. Unless Acura ups games it will be squeezed out. New MDX seems good but worried updated RX350 will be better. GV80 seems like it could also take a bit of the business.
I would have got MDX Hybrid if it worked out (2020). Know it was dated but seemed like very solid card. Next vehicle will by Hybrid or electric. Expect RDX to last me at least 6 years and the landscape to be very different.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
No.
Our lease is up the end of this year and we will either go back to an X3 if we can get a deal or something like a Rav4.
A lot of the technology we were looking for in a luxury car has trickled down to more mainstream cars and that may be OK.
This has been our first Honda/Acura and we have been disappointed in the technology.
I'll start serious looking in a few months and we will see.
Our "other" car is a Chevy Bolt EV and we like the independence from gas stations that car gives us so maybe a plugin hybrid that will run on battery around town but have the range of an ICE for long trips.
We don't know what we will get in a few months but are sure it won't be an Acura.
FunToDrive (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 12:54 PM
Drifting

I am looking at the Volvo T8 plug in hybrid. It has enough battery only miles for local errands and is a hybrid for better long range mileage.

Only you can’t find any.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:29 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for all the wizards of smart here who seem to miss the point.... whether it’s coal, natural gas or nuclear, the majority of the energy required to charge your electric car is NOT solar, hydro or wind...The mining of lithium which requires an enormous amounts of water and destroys the environment coupled with the battery waste seems to be disregarded in favor wearing a badge of honor for “caring more” without regard to the facts. Drive what you want before the corrupt bureaucrats take away the right to drive gas powered vehicles.

By the way I moved out of the Northeast to escape the incredible poor managment of infrastructure, policies and wasting of my hard earning dollars.

Scotch for me...cheers!
The following 2 users liked this post by motif88:
kboo74656 (02-23-2021), RDXinNETX (03-30-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 03:00 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Likely not. The Advance is great for some things but it is overly complicated for us, especially for my wife. (One day she accidently bumped the Park toggle and couldn't figure out how to make the car go. And do we really need that many possibilities for the side bolsters and seat extender? Two of many.) We've owned our last car with a touchpad.

Next car, possibly the next-gen Honda CR-V Hybrid. There'll be enough safety nannies to suit us and hopefully it'll have a touch screen. HUD would be the icing on the ol' cake. That or Korean - hopefully there won't be a need for a class-action lawsuit like above, and no engine fires.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:42 PM
Drifting

I am surprised at how many NOs...and probably nots. I think it is a very good vehicle. Great value, offers a lot for the price and besides, it handles great and has a great sound system.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I am surprised at how many NOs...and probably nots. I think it is a very good vehicle. Great value, offers a lot for the price and besides, it handles great and has a great sound system.
I am happy with the way it drives, and all the basics. Just too many glitches for me.

At the moment, the parking sensor goes off sometimes when I am stopped at the light and the weather is bad. And sometimes not. I just don’t feel like having to take it in to the dealer with every intermittent problem. The infotainment system was very glitchy, but has settled down now. The auto stop start is inconsistently on and unavailable. I can tell that state of charge and power draw has a lot to do with availability, but never knowing when it will go on for a drive or not is a pain.

The maps are not updated as promised, and the traffic info is often not there, and frequently wrong when it is.

My wife won’t drive it if I’m not in the car because there are too many different things going on.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:12 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by ackmonal
Based on your current experience with your RDX, will your next car be an Acura?
Yes...and probably a 2022 MDX Advance. Will more than likely be my last vehicle.

We thoroughly enjoy our 2020 Advance even with the small gripes that everyone can agree on. However, after six months of ownership and 10,000 miles, we're discovering that we may need some extra room in the back. My wife and I have taken many trips and find we could use a little more storage. We assumed we didn't need a three-row because it would have been too large but when taking a week + long trip, between luggage, coolers, groceries etc - the rear storage is packed and it's a rather low roof. In addition, we cannot stack too high because it would interfere with the rear view window. So, we are giving it some thought, see how it pencils out and will make a decision sometime this year.

My first car was a 1st generation Honda Civic and have been an exclusive Honda-only owner ever since, so I feel no need to break my streak...

Old 02-23-2021, 09:43 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
At the moment, the parking sensor goes off sometimes when I am stopped at the light and the weather is bad.
Is this your first vehicle with parking sensors? It's pretty much common knowledge that they're triggered when snow covered, on all brands.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:30 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JustMe...
Is this your first vehicle with parking sensors? It's pretty much common knowledge that they're triggered when snow covered, on all brands.
No snow on them, or other debris, I checked.

When the radar went off because of slush, I expect that and accept that. But when the car is clean, and it is just cold or raining, the parking sensor should not go off when I am stopped and there is no one there. And it happens on one stop, but not another. Sometimes two in a row, and sometimes never.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Yes, it will be Acura as of now. But its too early to tell, dont have any plans to buy another car for next 3-4 yrs.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:51 AM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by ackmonal
based on your current experience with your rdx, will your next car be an acura?
no
Old 02-24-2021, 08:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
We were considering Rdx as our next car, but the lack of touch screen is the major turn off for us. Otherwise, I feel the Rdx would mostly fit our needs nicely, but being a techy family, I don’t want to deal with unusable, unfriendly and gimped major component in the car. Seeing that Acura is becoming stubborn with the UI interface, it does not seem we will be getting any new Acura any time soon. Similarly equipped x3 or q5 is only $2-3k more or it could be in the same price as advanced Rdx if skipping some bells and whistles. We would rather skip things like cooled seats which we might never use for a usable interface that we would be using every single day.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:18 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mlody
We were considering Rdx as our next car, but the lack of touch screen is the major turn off for us. Otherwise, I feel the Rdx would mostly fit our needs nicely, but being a techy family, I don’t want to deal with unusable, unfriendly and gimped major component in the car. Seeing that Acura is becoming stubborn with the UI interface, it does not seem we will be getting any new Acura any time soon. Similarly equipped x3 or q5 is only $2-3k more or it could be in the same price as advanced Rdx if skipping some bells and whistles. We would rather skip things like cooled seats which we might never use for a usable interface that we would be using every single day.
It all depends on how you use things. The touchpad system, once set up, and you familiar yourself with it's use, becomes very easy, in fact, I rarely even need to do much with it, as most controls I need and use regularly are accessible from the steering wheel controls.

Cooled seats? They are a must here in AZ, I will not buy another car without them. I can understand why you wouldn't need them in Chicago. Heated seats? A must for you, but not necessary here, nor is a heated steering wheel, It all depends...like I said, it all depends..

And then there is the oft repeated upkeep costs of the German makes....

We all make our choices.
The following 2 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
amcobra (02-24-2021), RDXinNETX (03-30-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 09:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Touch interface is divisive issue. I don't think current location works for touch so this would need to come forward. Will need to try to out and see. Really was surprised that for 2022 MDX stuck to the touch pad only. Other than placement not that difficult to add touchscreen (at least have both).
Old 02-24-2021, 09:58 AM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
Well stated. I feel the same way. I have had and continue to have bothersome and quirky tech issues from the Infotainment, sensors, and safety tech.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:13 AM
Drifting

the touchpad works OK but falls down if you use carplay, since it works more like a mousepad. So sometimes you use absolute location, but then you have to switch over to moving your finger around in carplay.

awkward.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
markm929 (02-24-2021), tecwerks (02-25-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 01:46 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Tend to agree JB. I like to say that we have "1st World problems".

True, there may be some legitimate safety and practical concerns with some of our RDX's, but aside from that, I gravitate to the holistic view that we are so fortunate to be able to afford a vehicle like this and literally every vehicle on the road has some issues pretty much every driver can find fault with. Perspective can be a power or a prison but I tend to lean towards the attitude that we make choices, we own our choices and if it doesn't work out we move on with lessons learned. Maybe it starts in your 60's but a lot of things just don't bother me any more.

Last edited by Vince D; 02-24-2021 at 01:48 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Vince D:
amcobra (02-24-2021), JB in AZ (02-24-2021), Madd Dog (02-25-2021), markAZ (02-25-2021), RDXinNETX (03-30-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 04:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vince D
Tend to agree JB. I like to say that we have "1st World problems".
...we own our choices and if it doesn't work out we move on with lessons learned. Maybe it starts in your 60's but a lot of things just don't bother me any more.
Yes, absolutely! 1st World Problems. I have also learned, and moved on with lessons learned on other vehicles. As I said, I have no regrets with my RDX purchase, and will consider another RDX, along with what ever else is available within my parameters when I am ready to replace it.

And, yes, many things no longer bother me, but...I have different things that bother me...now that I have entered my 60's...errrr...just about to exit my 60's!!!
Vince D (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 04:42 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
If my RDX was totaled tomorrow, I'd take the exact same car (except a 2021) off the lot the day after tomorrow. Despite this, that, and the other things. No regrets.

But a few years from now, who knows? Whenever I have started my car selection process, I always went in with some preconceived notions about what I was going to buy. But I have never bought the car I originally thought I would.
The following 2 users liked this post by NooYawkuh:
amcobra (02-25-2021), Vince D (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
We love our 2019 RDX and it will serve as my wife's car and our long distance vehicle for at least the next five years. I'll be trading in my daily commute, a 2006 Lexus RX, for the new Ford Mustang Mach-E. I put a deposit down early last month but probably won't see it until July. With the miles I drive, a once-a-week charge from our solar panels will get me by. It has the same rear cargo capacity as the RDX.

The following 2 users liked this post by B25Nut:
hand-filer (02-26-2021), Jim7707 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 06:46 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by B25Nut
I'll be trading in my daily commute, a 2006 Lexus RX, for the new Ford Mustang Mach-E.
I’ve got my eye on the Mach-E. The longest range I need is about 250 miles, maybe 10%-15% more as a cushion against range anxiety, so the long range version will do the trick. My only problem is that as a city dweller, charging options are limited. Hopefully that will change in the next 5 years though.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:23 AM
Drifting

I have a garage in my condo, but I cannot think of a way to get a level 2 charger there, and would have to deal with a level 1 only.

That is why I am considering a Volvo T8, which should get around 20 miles of all electric out of a charge, and would cover all my local running around. Past that, the hybrid would get good gas mileage. Too, a Tesla is under consideration since there is a super charging station less than half a mile away from my house.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:11 AM
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I have a garage in my condo, but I cannot think of a way to get a level 2 charger there, and would have to deal with a level 1 only.

That is why I am considering a Volvo T8, which should get around 20 miles of all electric out of a charge, and would cover all my local running around. Past that, the hybrid would get good gas mileage. Too, a Tesla is under consideration since there is a super charging station less than half a mile away from my house.
Are you considering an XC60 T8? Have you test driven one yet? I heard there were some brake issues with early models of the XC60 T8. I was at the dealer with my previous XC60 T6 and a T8 owner was there complaining to the service manager about his brakes. I am curious if those issues have been fixed.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:14 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SlowLane
Are you considering an XC60 T8? Have you test driven one yet? I heard there were some brake issues with early models of the XC60 T8. I was at the dealer with my previous XC60 T6 and a T8 owner was there complaining to the service manager about his brakes. I am curious if those issues have been fixed.
I would think a Volvo forum would be a better place to ask, and to find if the brake issue has been resolved.

I realize you asked if SlowLane has test driven one.....

Quick Reply: Will your next car purchase be an Acura?