Who Jalopnik Thinks We Are

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 01:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Honestly it's doesn't bother me...who care...I know people make $500K a year and still driving a Mazda CX5. His theory is wrong...This will apply to 3rd world countries, where there is a huge gap between poor, middle class and rich people.
Oh I know, hehe, I posted above that basically its tongue-in-cheek, mostly to draw readership than some thought provoking insult.

But nevertheless would be interesting to know nonetheless as these threads are fairly common in many niche hobby forums....
Old 10-31-2018, 01:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Honestly it's doesn't bother me...who care...I know people make $500K a year and still driving a Mazda CX5. His theory is wrong...This will apply to 3rd world countries, where there is a huge gap between poor, middle class and rich people.
500k in nyc is middle management.

but I digress
Old 10-31-2018, 02:14 PM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
It is true that in this day and age of credit, just about anyone can drive a very nice car on a relatively low salary. And vice-versa; that very wealthy people frequently drive vehicles that are much less expensive than what they could really afford. I've had coworkers making half what I do driving M3's. They literally spend 25%-40% of their salary on their car payment. Likewise, I drive Uber in Park City and have pulled up to gigantic multi-million dollar houses (more like castles) with a 911 4S, F-450 Platinum and a MDX in the driveway. It's not uncommon at all. And I guarantee those people aren't "lower-middle management".

I picked up a total baller couple from Promontory, pretty much the most posh gated community in Park City a few weeks ago that had a new A-spec RDX in the driveway. He asked about my TL and commented how he used to have a Type-S and how he loved that car. They said they test drove the Q5, X3 and the new Lexus NX but decided on the RDX. Guess they're lower middle management that just happened to have won the lottery or invested in Google back in '99 or something.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Ya I believe those folks if that’s their only car.

i have met a founder of a famous startup back in the days. He is easily worth 8-9 figures but drives around the valley with a 2003 RX300 but who knows what else lurks in his garage.

Growing up my dad had a legend, Acura to me is both nostalgic and left brain thing.

Last edited by acuraada; 10-31-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Good point. I know millionaires (as in that's their yearly income) who drive Accords and not even new ones. And then I know people broke as hell leasing a stripped down M-B or BMW.

Having said all that, Acura needs to get its mojo back ASAP.
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 03:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Acura needs to get its mojo back ASAP.

Waiting for the 6G (2G?) TLX Type-s w/ an FI V6

Otherwise, jumping ship.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:37 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Good point. I know millionaires (as in that's their yearly income) who drive Accords and not even new ones. And then I know people broke as hell leasing a stripped down M-B or BMW.

Having said all that, Acura needs to get its mojo back ASAP.
My parents are worth 7 figures, and my dad's daily driver is a 2006 CRV. There's a reason why people that have money, have money.
The following 3 users liked this post by ZipSpeed:
losiglow (11-01-2018), nist7 (11-01-2018), zroger73 (11-01-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 10:52 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
This will apply to 3rd world countries, where there is a huge gap between poor, middle class and rich people.
We're working on it...
Old 10-31-2018, 11:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 191 Posts
its just funny to me how the guy who wrote that review drives a 2002 lexus
Old 10-31-2018, 11:04 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by B25Nut
I don't cuss out loud, but this guy sure makes me want to. I don't need a Beamer to make me feel like I've "made it".

https://jalopnik.com/this-boring-acu...ron-1830096933

"It’s not that Acura is a company that’s about making “bad” cars, per se. But Acura is a company for people who have secured their place firmly in the lower middle management of life, and are content never budging from that position. It makes cars for people who have done okay in life, and that’s fine, and maybe they want to treat themselves, but they can’t sacrifice things like reliability or practicality for anything crazy like “fun” or “so help me God I am so bored I could die.”

It’s a car for people who, when they’re feeling really crazy, reach for the Diet Sierra Mist. Every night. And every night, at dinner, which they’ve cooked at home, they always make sure there’s a salad, and when their spouse reaches for the stash of Little Bites brownies in the back of the pantry in their all-white kitchen, they say, “you sure you should be eating that?”

That is who Acuras are made for."
Sorry, but I just cannot take this "deputy editor" of Jalopnik seriously. What an ignorant and foolish thing to say! I love my Acura, and I don't fit his profile at all. I could have been driving much more expensive cars but I chose to buy an Acura. He should be ashamed of himself!!!
Old 10-31-2018, 11:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
Sorry, but I just cannot take this "deputy editor" of Jalopnik seriously. What an ignorant and foolish thing to say! I love my Acura, and I don't fit his profile at all. I could have been driving much more expensive cars but I chose to buy an Acura. He should be ashamed of himself!!!
Who cares, he's a nobody and his garbage opinion doesn't matter.
nist7 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 01:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 394 Likes on 299 Posts
The author has correctly described the demographic based on the cost of the car, which is an implicit indication of the demographic Acura are targeting -- the "mid" middle class. And there are many cars targeting that demographic. Move a little a higher in price and, and barring places like Silicon Valley, LA, and Seattle, only execs can comfortably afford it. There are of course bound to be enthusiasts here and there that are exceptions to rule, just like you find an occasional deci-millionaire driving an old Camry. The RDX is an exceptional value, but for those who want to show they've made it financially, it's not the right car. They may actually think "it doesn't cost enough" and just skip it based on that and would probably go for something with more brand cachet and consequent price premium.

I never liked Acuras since they embarked on using overdone designs, around the same time Honda headed in that direction, but Acura was slightly muted. But I'm in a difference phase of life now, so value and reliability were paramount as was seat comfort. Looks of the new RDX are passable. I'd take the XC40/XC60, Macan, Stelvio, various JLRs for design but aside from the Volvo, I don't think any are as comfortable as the RDX. The interior design is a bit on the busy side compared to the European cars but I can live with it. For me, the NSX-inspired gear selector is perhaps the coolest design element in the interior.

I have no idea where the Sierra Mist part comes from.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:51 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
its just funny to me how the guy who wrote that review drives a 2002 lexus
Most car reviewers are not the Top Gear guys

They get review cars all the time. They don't need a new car to have an opinion
Old 11-01-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
It. Is. Humorous.

Jalopnik is not a serious, suit and tie, type Automotive Blog. They have a humorous slant. They take off their pants and jacket.

I think a lot of you all are missing that. It wasn't meant to be a factual article.
The following 2 users liked this post by cu2wagon:
kurtatx (11-01-2018), TacoBello (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 09:36 AM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
“Insult humor” went out with Don Rickles.

And I knew Don Rickles, and this guy is no Don Rickles.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
My parents are worth 7 figures, and my dad's daily driver is a 2006 CRV. There's a reason why people that have money, have money.
This x 10

There are extremely wealthy people born into money. But the vast majority of people worth 7-8 figures did it through hard work (mentally or physically) and spending less than they earned and letting that money work for them over time. I'm betting that describes your parents. I plan on being worth 2-5 mil when I retire and even then, I don't know that I'll be able to bring myself to purchase a brand new car or anything over $50-$70K (and even that's pushing it). Blow your money now or enjoy a lot more of it later. Unless you're born into money, really lucky, or an extremely smart entrepreneur or investor, those are the two options you have. I'm afraid I don't fall into any of those three categories.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:12 PM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cu2wagon
It. Is. Humorous.

Jalopnik is not a serious, suit and tie, type Automotive Blog. They have a humorous slant. They take off their pants and jacket.

I think a lot of you all are missing that. It wasn't meant to be a factual article.
This.

I am a Jalopnik fan. It's a humorous blog, it laughs at itself and individual contributors. Jalopnik does not pretend to espouse any great automotive truths, it's just a casual auto blog. One writer's opinion often is contradicted by another. I thought the post on the SEMA RDX was amusing, and not something to get upset about. (It hit a little too close to home, even, but I'm not going there.)
Old 11-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
That and... Opinions are like butt holes. Everyone has one. Y'all bought your vehicles for you and your family, not what somebody you don't even know cares about.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:53 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
“Insult humor” went out with Don Rickles.

And I knew Don Rickles, and this guy is no Don Rickles.
Surely you're not serious. Insult humor is great.

See also: @Majofo
Old 11-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
This all assumes cars are a status symbol. I don't really see it that way as I did many years back. As someone else said, anyone can finance a fancy car. For that matter, the majority of luxury vehicles are leased. So, a car doesn't reflect ones "success" or lack there of to me.

I work in private aviation. See a mixed bag of cars driven by those with the means to sit behind me in the fat part of the plane. Rarely the type of vehicle you'd expect .

Fun discussion and funny article.
nist7 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 07:40 PM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Surely you're not serious. Insult humor is great.
I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
The following 5 users liked this post by DWG:
kurtatx (11-01-2018), Madd Dog (11-01-2018), nist7 (11-01-2018), Wander (11-05-2018), ZipSpeed (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 08:34 PM
There are four lights!

Originally Posted by losiglow
This x 10

There are extremely wealthy people born into money. But the vast majority of people worth 7-8 figures did it through hard work (mentally or physically) and spending less than they earned and letting that money work for them over time. I'm betting that describes your parents. I plan on being worth 2-5 mil when I retire and even then, I don't know that I'll be able to bring myself to purchase a brand new car or anything over $50-$70K (and even that's pushing it). Blow your money now or enjoy a lot more of it later. Unless you're born into money, really lucky, or an extremely smart entrepreneur or investor, those are the two options you have. I'm afraid I don't fall into any of those three categories.
Absolutely. My parents, as children were very poor. My dad came to Canada when he was 18 years old, with $500 to his name that was given by my grandpa. All his success and personal wealth is self built. There were some struggles, and even as a child, I didn't have all the cool toys, video games or comic books, but there was always food on the table, shelter over our heads, and clothing on our back. I'm glad I had the upbringing that I had because I was taught money is a finite resource. These days, anyone and their grandma can look like a baller. i.e. easily accessible credit. At the same time, those chasing status symbols struggle to put food on the table, or make this month's rent. But hey, I guess they look great when they pull into the Nordstrom parking lot in their entry level 320i, with a Louis Vuitton bag and Canada Goose coat.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZipSpeed:
losiglow (11-19-2018), nist7 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 09:12 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Boxer1200
[T]he majority of luxury vehicles are leased.
I bought my car from a dealership that sits in a pretty wealthy area in Maryland (Bethesda-Chevy Chase), just over the D.C. border. While I was sitting in his office signing my life away (no, not really...lol), the finance guy told me 70% of the deals that come across his desk are for leases. I didn't realize the percentage was that high, but there you go.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by birdonamission
I bought my car from a dealership that sits in a pretty wealthy area in Maryland (Bethesda-Chevy Chase), just over the D.C. border. While I was sitting in his office signing my life away (no, not really...lol), the finance guy told me 70% of the deals that come across his desk are for leases. I didn't realize the percentage was that high, but there you go.
yes. One of the largest BMW dealership in NYC tells me 80% of the cars sold are leases. And if you ever shopped for a bmw, you can see the structure is favored towards leasing.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Boxer1200
This all assumes cars are a status symbol. I don't really see it that way as I did many years back. As someone else said, anyone can finance a fancy car. For that matter, the majority of luxury vehicles are leased. So, a car doesn't reflect ones "success" or lack there of to me.

I work in private aviation. See a mixed bag of cars driven by those with the means to sit behind me in the fat part of the plane. Rarely the type of vehicle you'd expect .

Fun discussion and funny article.
Private pilot?

Originally Posted by birdonamission
Originally Posted by acuraada
yes. One of the largest BMW dealership in NYC tells me 80% of the cars sold are leases. And if you ever shopped for a bmw, you can see the structure is favored towards leasing.
One of my theories is that lot of these leases are done under a business/LLC name, since IIRC lease payments can be written off as taxes if the car is used for business purposes.....
Old 11-02-2018, 01:54 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by nist7
One of my theories is that lot of these leases are done under a business/LLC name, since IIRC lease payments can be written off as taxes if the car is used for business purposes.....
Leasing makes sense in many situations. It makes sense to lease a car if it's for business, my son-in-law does this. Also, if you don't drive a lot and want a new vehicle every few years, a low mileage lease can be very attractive. If you keep a car for 10 years, then obviously buying is the way to go. In my situation, we drive a lot of miles (we have 7,500 miles on our 3.1/2 month old RDX already), and I was considering a lease, but after I ran the numbers, the lease just didn't make sense. Most leases tend to max out at around 15k miles a year, and I knew I'd get burned. I always wonder how many people get into a lease and then get hit by mileage penalties.
nist7 (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 02:00 PM
There are four lights!

Originally Posted by DrWoo
Leasing makes sense in many situations. It makes sense to lease a car if it's for business, my son-in-law does this. Also, if you don't drive a lot and want a new vehicle every few years, a low mileage lease can be very attractive. If you keep a car for 10 years, then obviously buying is the way to go. In my situation, we drive a lot of miles (we have 7,500 miles on our 3.1/2 month old RDX already), and I was considering a lease, but after I ran the numbers, the lease just didn't make sense. Most leases tend to max out at around 15k miles a year, and I knew I'd get burned. I always wonder how many people get into a lease and then get hit by mileage penalties.
Usually if you stay within the brand and you lease/finance another vehicle, they forgive the mileage penalties. Not always, but usually.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Drifting

Leases do end up costing more, but not so much more on a monthly basis that it is a problem for those who are willing and able to live within the constraints. I don’t want to abide by the leasing constraints and don’t lease. I want to buy my cars when and which I want to.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:14 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I think that's funny and pretty much accurate.

Acura - the vehicle for people who want some level of brand cachet and value reliability over driving satisfaction. Yup, seems accurate to me.

Disclaimer: I currently own/drive German cars. My mom owns the RDX. I owned an Acura back in 2001 and got bored of it relatively quickly.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom2

Acura - the vehicle for people who want some level of brand cachet and value reliability over driving satisfaction. Yup, seems accurate to me.

Disclaimer: I currently own/drive German cars. My mom owns the RDX. I owned an Acura back in 2001 and got bored of it relatively quickly.
Can you elaborate on “driving satisfaction” please? I’ve had two Audi R8s, a Mercedes C63 AMG, a 991.1 C4S, an F355 Spider, various BMW 3 and 7 Series, as well as a bunch of Acuras including 2 NSXs that I bought new when I was in my 20’s (with my own money). I don’t think “driving satisfaction” is unimportant to me, and yet I derive plenty of it from the various TLXs and Legends that I’ve owned, including the current RDX.
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
nist7 (11-05-2018), rdXD (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 03:55 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SebringSilver

Can you elaborate on “driving satisfaction” please? I’ve had two Audi R8s, a Mercedes C63 AMG, a 991.1 C4S, an F355 Spider, various BMW 3 and 7 Series, as well as a bunch of Acuras including 2 NSXs that I bought new when I was in my 20’s (with my own money). I don’t think “driving satisfaction” is unimportant to me, and yet I derive plenty of it from the various TLXs and Legends that I’ve owned, including the current RDX.
Didn't you get the memo?

If you drive a 3G RDX, you're a Sierra Mist drinking, middle management bore who has no inkling of passionate car enthusiasm.

You probably were describing someone who was in a parallel universe. Because clearly people like you are mathematically impossible to exist!

Old 11-05-2018, 04:21 PM
2013 RDX tech Amber

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I live in the urban part of the 4th largest metro in the country. I would rather sit comfortably with the 3dELS turned way up while the auto cruise and lane keep assist let me go my 35 mph on an 80 limit tollway sitting in traffic. I had a BMW and i called it a big money waste unless you live where you can get that thing out on a regular basis and let it loose otherwise I am very happy to be in my RDX in the slow lane which is every lane all the time here.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Private pilot?

I lease mine under my business. Yes, it does make for a nice tax write off. I figure driving a nice car is better than paying more tax, so that's why I do it. As for Jalopnik guy, he probably lives in his mom's basement still. I could afford a more expensive car. I just don't understand why I would pay more though when everything I want and need is in the RDX, and I think it drives better than Lexus or BMW as well. The only brand that keeps me dreaming is probably Porshe, but I hate their deceptive pricing so I won't do business with them. Also, every time I talk to a friend that owns a Germain lux car, I hear so many horror stories of shit breaking. My mother had a Volvo once (used), and the transmission went. The cost of a new Volvo tranny is more than a whole new car from a main street brand. Screw that. Four Acura's now and the worst that's ever gone wrong is squealy brakes. I'll stick with Acura.
nist7 (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 05:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Didn't you get the memo?

If you drive a 3G RDX, you're a Sierra Mist drinking, middle management bore who has no inkling of passionate car enthusiasm.

You probably were describing someone who was in a parallel universe. Because clearly people like you are mathematically impossible to exist!

Lol

People are so quick to generalize. I know lots of people who have relatively modest cars alongside other more expensive ones. I think most of the Acuras we’ve had have been excellent everyday cars that were still pretty fun to drive while offering comfort and practicality.

Still not sure what a Sierra Mist is. Sounds like the colour for a Range Rover.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
..Still not sure what a Sierra Mist is. Sounds like the colour for a Range Rover.
https://www.sierramist.com/

nist7 (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 05:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
WTF? It’s a beverage??

I’ll stick with my Ty Ku Daiginjo sake, which is in keeping with the whole Japanese car theme.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
in all fairness; acura really screwed the pooch at SEMA....RGP RDX? wtf is that?? and yes, I laughed at the weed leaf symbol.

it's also fair to point out that you can buy a bmw x3 with 355hp, right now.
Yes but its a 3.0 L 6-cylinder not at 4.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom2

Acura: the vehicle for people who don’t give a sh!t what strangers think when they drive by; my RDX replaced my 535i. And here is me about to drive a 458 around Maranello.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 11-05-2018 at 06:32 PM.
nist7 (11-05-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 01:37 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Sure, in my opinion, the RDX isn't what I'd consider a "driver's car" or to put it more bluntly, a car that has any sort of sporting pretentions. It's simply a driving appliance, much like a Camry or Accord. It's a comfortable car that will get you to your destination in relative comfort, but you aren't going to be satisfied with it for a spirited drive in the canyons, for example. People who buy the RDX are much more likely to value reliability over driving satisfaction. I think that's a very fair general statement. If you derive driving satisfaction out of a CUV that's comfortable, but doesn't do anything particularly better than average, then that's fine, but I suspect someone who has owned the cars that you say you've owned wouldn't exactly get that kind of driving satisfaction out of an RDX.

Last edited by Tom2; 11-19-2018 at 01:40 PM.