White paint - is rail dust an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 05:38 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White paint - is rail dust an issue?

For those with the white paint options, have you had the 'rail' dust issues common the white cars?

My other car is white. When I drive it daily I have to clay bar it every weekend to stay ahead of the rail dust contamination. If left for a few weeks, it becomes very difficult to remove.

I notice no one complains about it here, I assume it is not an issue with the RDX white, but wanted to check.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by rdx_to
For those with the white paint options, have you had the 'rail' dust issues common the white cars?

My other car is white. When I drive it daily I have to clay bar it every weekend to stay ahead of the rail dust contamination. If left for a few weeks, it becomes very difficult to remove.

I notice no one complains about it here, I assume it is not an issue with the RDX white, but wanted to check.
No offense, but you shouldn't have to use a clay bar on a car every weekend regardless of the color, even if it's a daily driver. Or I guess I'll put it a different way: even the most hard-core enthusiasts understand that you can't keep a daily driver showroom clean. You'd literally have to be hand-detailing it every day.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:36 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Um, if you're decontaminating your paint from rail dust every week, maybe you should move out of a trainyard and into the suburbs.

Rail dust decontamination should really only need to be done once, if ever. Hell, the biggest benefit of having white paint is the fact that it hides swirl marks better than almost any color. I just hit the clearcoat with Collinite 845 every few months and it's good enough for me.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:19 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
I've never heard of that. I thought you meant brake dust so I Googled it.

My RDX is white diamond pearl and I have no such phenomenon. So, like the previous poster wrote, stop parking your cars in train yards.

And to add, I've noticed no brake dust on my wheels either, as I have on other cars.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:28 PM
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
Not an answer to your question, but I highly recommend IronX spray (or similar) to chemically decontaminate and not a clay bar. Spray on, let work, and rinse off.

Clay bar removes wax, so if you're not waxing each week this probably explains why the dust is sticking so badly. Claying also micro scratches your paint no matter how much lube you use. So detailers only use clay to prep the surface before polishing (which removes the clay scratches) and sealing.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup my rdx is white and yes I've noticed the dust. This is my first white colored car so I wasn't expecting it. It doesn't bother me too much it even gets in the chrome...
Old 12-01-2020, 12:40 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
And to add, I've noticed no brake dust on my wheels either, as I have on other cars.
I've also noticed how little brake dust the pads on the RDX emit. It's likely the reason there's so many complaints about noisy brakes. Thankfully, I don't have any noise from the brakes and my wheels don't look dirty after a couple days after washing like on my GTO.

Originally Posted by jmhumr
Not an answer to your question, but I highly recommend IronX spray (or similar) to chemically decontaminate and not a clay bar. Spray on, let work, and rinse off.

Clay bar removes wax, so if you're not waxing each week this probably explains why the dust is sticking so badly. Claying also micro scratches your paint no matter how much lube you use. So detailers only use clay to prep the surface before polishing (which removes the clay scratches) and sealing.
Yea, Iron-X is pretty nifty stuff, but it'll strip wax as well. It's a good idea to throw a coat of wax/sealant after using it. That's why I love Collinite 845. It's so easy to apply and it seems quite durable.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:17 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turtletop0
Yup my rdx is white and yes I've noticed the dust. This is my first white colored car so I wasn't expecting it. It doesn't bother me too much it even gets in the chrome...
thanks for the comment, though sounds like its not that bad.
yes, iron x works great, though it does strip sealant off. I use iron x depending on the job.
I use light/medium/heavy clay bars depending on the condition.
Rail dust has little to do with parking next to train tracks despite the name.
Thanks guys
Old 12-01-2020, 12:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just one more thing, because the white paint has some sparkle to it, I only see the dust when my car hasn't been washed for a while. I think as long as your car's exterior is clean, because of the sparkle of the paint, it's not too bad imho....