Wheel lock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Wheel lock?

So here's another silly question. I noticed a while ago that one of my wheel nuts on each wheel is a wheel lock (I guess). Is the wheel lock key somewhere or did the dealer forget to give it to me? Or is that not a wheel lock?
Old 12-15-2020, 06:24 PM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
glove compartment maybe?
I found my wheel lock key in my trunk in a honda lug nut package. obviously, you dont have a trunk...but check the spare tire area.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:25 PM
Banned

K thanks, I'll search around.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:37 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
If not in the glove box, check in the lug wrench. If not there, ask them where the key is.

too, look though all of your paperwork for the key code, and if you don’t turn up the key, get another one before you need it.

https://www.testingautos.com/car_care/wheel-locks.html

Last edited by Madd Dog; 12-15-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:42 PM
Banned

Yeah, I was thinking it would be a problem if I got a flat, lol. I had my tires rotated a few months ago at the dealership, when I got my oil changed, so they either had a copy or used my key.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Mine is in a little black bag where the spare tire is located.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:49 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Wheel locks are a security upgrade offered by the dealer, I think, and should come with the key. Mine was in the glovebox and pointed out by the dealer who made a point of including this in the deal. If I remember correctly there are only a few patterns for these wheel locks and it’s easy enough to get a key from dealer or third party.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:40 AM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
The dealer adds the wheel locks, mine was in the glove compartment. As per my sales agreement I was charged $157.00 for the locks, they are provided by McGard and I could have got them on amazon for 29.99.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:25 AM
Banned

No dice, I can't find these things anywhere. I didn't pay for mine (or I'm not aware of it). My car was shipped from another dealer on a day's notice at the time, so they may have just been on it. I'll try asking the dealer for a key. I did, however, find that my car jack is sort of rusty, which sucks. I'm not busting it out right now in the winter to find out if it's a problem, though.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:35 AM
Banned

Ugh, so they need to find out which lock I have and I have no paperwork. So I need to physically bring the car in, which I won't do until my next service appointment because they're far away. I also have to pay for the replacement (which isn't really a replacement), but it's only $25 so that's fine.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:35 AM
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Frankly, I think the wheel locks are silly. The first thing I do when I get the car home is take them off because I don't have to mess with them if I have to change a tire. The dealers charge you a rip-off price for them and when was the last time you heard about factory wheels being stolen? Just another way the dealers can milk you for a few bucks.

I have two sets if anyone wants them...yours for the postage.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:35 AM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Before taking delivery of my vehicle, the dealer gave me a complete run-through with every nook and cranny of the vehicle. He opened up the cargo storage lid, and in the under storage area, noted the wheel lock bag and spare tire kit. He must have spent 45 minutes going over every safety feature and the infotainment and navigation. It was pretty thorough. I sort of blame the dealer for not making sure you were aware of where the lock bag was or discovering perhaps they were actually missing.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:42 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Originally Posted by markAZ
...when was the last time you heard about factory wheels being stolen?
I dunno... lots of Advance buyers seem to wish they had A-Spec or Tech wheels... I'd be pissed if I woke up one morning to find someone had switched mine for a set of Advance rims.
The following 2 users liked this post by Waetherman:
Jfkmk (12-17-2020), markAZ (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 10:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
I think most Acura dealers use some tool to remove wheel look. I had them rotate tires once and I left wheel lock in the garage by mistake, they never asked anything and tires got rotated.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vince D
Before taking delivery of my vehicle, the dealer gave me a complete run-through with every nook and cranny of the vehicle. He opened up the cargo storage lid, and in the under storage area, noted the wheel lock bag and spare tire kit. He must have spent 45 minutes going over every safety feature and the infotainment and navigation. It was pretty thorough. I sort of blame the dealer for not making sure you were aware of where the lock bag was or discovering perhaps they were actually missing.
It's not the dealer's fault. I live far away from any Acura dealers, so the day of delivery I drove there and then was in a hurry because I had to turn around. I did basically zero inspection. The sales guy I worked with was going to walk me through everything and I told him I had to go. So I picked up the car and left within probably 30 minutes from start to finish. Fortunately, there was nothing wrong with the car (or if there was, I haven't noticed it in two years) other than the scratched up barrels of the wheels (not rim rash, the inside part) and some really minor things (for example, there's a small "chip" in one of my tail lights). I had also told them when I bought it that I was looking for a blue Advance or I wasn't buying a car and they had to rush to get one from another dealer, so I can see where there might have been a lot of confusion.

If it's the dealer's fault, I'll blame them. This was on me.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Waetherman
I dunno... lots of Advance buyers seem to wish they had A-Spec or Tech wheels... I'd be pissed if I woke up one morning to find someone had switched mine for a set of Advance rims.
That's like that joke "I had two [insert sports team] tickets on my dashboard and then one day someone broke in and left two more." Like someone keeps coming around and leaving Advance tires on my car!
Old 12-16-2020, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by russianDude
I think most Acura dealers use some tool to remove wheel look. I had them rotate tires once and I left wheel lock in the garage by mistake, they never asked anything and tires got rotated.
They told me they have a master key. There are 12 different wheel locks that Acura has and they have to give you the right key (obviously). If anyone needs replacements, they told me that the best way to do it is to look in your tire area in the rear compartment. Usually, they told me, they leave the original lug nuts in a plastic bag that also has a card with the code for your wheel locks. Those can be ordered direct from the company and you don't need to involve the dealer. I didn't have that (probably because mine were accidentally installed, I bet), so I have to go in.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:55 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Even though my dealer is located in a very good neighborhood and all their cars are in a locked lot, they have a problem with wheels getting boosted. So, they put wheel locks on all their cars. No charge.. The salesman handed me the key in a pouch when I picked up the car.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Even though my dealer is located in a very good neighborhood and all their cars are in a locked lot, they have a problem with wheels getting boosted.
Never change, New York!
Old 12-16-2020, 05:19 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
I'm pretty sure they all come standard. My dealer wanted to charge us for them, but we declined (it doesn't even slow a wheel thief down) ... our sales person threw them in because "[we] seemed like good people." Yea, doubt it ... they were probably already on the car and it would have actually been more work to take them off and find standard nuts for them.

As to answer your question, mine is located under the rear cargo floor right next to the tire inflator. I pulled it out a bit in this pic to show you where they hide it:

(it's the little black bag with a drawing of the socket on it)

Last edited by leomio85; 12-16-2020 at 05:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DriverOne (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 05:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne
They told me they have a master key. There are 12 different wheel locks that Acura has and they have to give you the right key (obviously). If anyone needs replacements, they told me that the best way to do it is to look in your tire area in the rear compartment. Usually, they told me, they leave the original lug nuts in a plastic bag that also has a card with the code for your wheel locks. Those can be ordered direct from the company and you don't need to involve the dealer. I didn't have that (probably because mine were accidentally installed, I bet), so I have to go in.
To be honest, from a practical standpoint, the original lug nuts are probably more valuable than the locks. If you search for McGard wheel lock removal, you will probably find that almost everyone has a combination of tools that could be used as a "master key" for these. I agree, they would not even slow down a determined thief.

If you decide to shop for better locks, be sure to get the right type of seat for the wheels. I believe that OEM Honda/Acura wheels are ball seat.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:50 PM
Banned

Well, I don't have the original lug nuts, unfortunately. Like I said, I think they were just left on my car when they swiped it from the other dealer. I don't mind having them on, but I do want to have the key.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:56 PM
Intermediate

Understood. What I am suggesting is that if they are giving you a key, I would ask for a set of lug nuts too. Technically they are part of the new car delivery, locks or not. They could very well come in handy.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:02 PM
Banned

I don't think they'll give me free lug nuts. They're just ordering the key for me, basically. It's through their service department.

I think I'd have a hard time explaining to them that when I bought the car two years ago they had accidentally given me wheel locks and I need regular lug nuts back.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:16 PM
Intermediate

Cool--missed that. Another minor consideration is that if you're already paying $25, a few more dollars can get you your own set from Amazon or ebay that will likely have a more unique key than the limited selection of the dealer-installed ones. That security would technically be a bit better, and trust me--the dealer will still be able to remove it should the need arise, even if they don't have an official key for it. Anyhow, best wishes with it.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:43 PM
Skeptic

I wouldn't wait to get stuck or have a flat to remedy it.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:58 PM
Banned

Yeah, I agree with that, theoretically. The problem is I live a long way away from a dealer -- it's really my only regret about buying an Acura -- so I'm pretty much taking the chance.

Actually, I sort of wonder if a Honda dealer might be able to tell me what this wheel lock is. Hm.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:58 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

As I understand it there are less than two dozen wheel lock patterns total, and only a dozen that are used by Acura. It should be easy to identify which one it is - just take a pic and post it here. Or look up a master lock set on Amazon and check it vs the patterns shown on the box.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:03 AM
Banned

As I understand it there are less than two dozen wheel lock patterns total, and only a dozen that are used by Acura. It should be easy to identify which one it is - just take a pic and post it here. Or look up a master lock set on Amazon and check it vs the patterns shown on the box.
I think they all look the same, don't they? Every picture of a McGard wheel lock I've seen has that wavy "star" pattern.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:09 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

They're all a little different. But I don't know - maybe you can't tell from looking at the actual nut? Here's an image I found from a master set from Amazon;

Old 12-17-2020, 03:43 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Cnntact McGard...forget the dealer.

Take a closeup and clear picture of the wheel lock. Vist McGard www site. Open a case or call. Submit the picture.
McGard will figure out what you need.

Wait a week and it appears in the mail.

It's that simple.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mo_Green
Take a closeup and clear picture of the wheel lock. Vist McGard www site. Open a case or call. Submit the picture.
McGard will figure out what you need.

Wait a week and it appears in the mail.

It's that simple.
I'll see if that works. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:03 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My last email contact address for a spare wheel lock. cs3@mcGard.com
Old 12-17-2020, 08:45 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by markAZ
.....when was the last time you heard about factory wheels being stolen?
The only time I ever heard of a wheel being stolen, ever, was my brother had a crappy wheel stolen off a crappy Honda Accord. He came out of a baseball game and found his car on 3 wheels and a cinder block. The best he could figure is someone had a flat and had no spare, so they went “shopping”.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:23 PM
Skeptic

They're all a little different. But I don't know - maybe you can't tell from looking at the actual nut? Here's an image I found from a master set from Amazon;
So, Amazon sells master key sets for wheel locks to thieves? I mean, who else would need that?
Old 12-17-2020, 09:31 PM
Banned

So, Amazon sells master key sets for wheel locks to thieves? I mean, who else would need that?
Yeah, but I wouldn't let it really bother you. I mean, there are videos online showing people how to bump locks and yet most peoples' homes aren't being broken into. Everyone says that a car thief can steal any car in ten seconds and yet most of our cars are where we left them every day. I'm not saying to ignore that stuff, but what can you do about it, other than just sit at home all day with a gun?
The following users liked this post:
florissant (12-20-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 09:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Wheel locks are just little obstacle for thieves, don’t count on it helping, but it’s better than nothing.
It depends where you park, if you park in questionable places, bad things can happen.... and not only to tires...

Last edited by russianDude; 12-17-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:09 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Thieves likely aren't even using those ... too much time trying to figure out which one is the proper socket to use. Far faster to hammer on their socket of choice than figuring out which key is the right one. Those Amazon kits are likely for a shop that needs to preserve the lock nuts for future use.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:18 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
Thieves likely aren't even using those ... too much time trying to figure out which one is the proper socket to use. Far faster to hammer on their socket of choice than figuring out which key is the right one. Those Amazon kits are likely for a shop that needs to preserve the lock nuts for future use.
The thieves are likely to use a simpler set of 3 "master keys". I think these are often used at the dealers shop as well.

These will really chew up the old locks, and that is why after the dealer removes the old locks for you, they always require you to purchase replacements..

This particular set cost $13.97 HERE
Old 12-18-2020, 08:50 AM
Banned

There are actually numerous videos online that purport to show how a wheel lock can be removed in under 2 minutes by just chiseling the lug, so they don't even have to pay for the master keys. Basically, no thief is spending money for their crime. Even if they damage the wheel, they won't care. They can just unload it on someone for less and it's still profit. On the various police shows (before they were cancelled) you could see people who drove around in stolen vehicles and their "key" was a screwdriver stuck into the ignition. That didn't bother them.

Quick Reply: Wheel lock?