"what".... No spare tire ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019 | 04:11 PM
Intermediate

"what".... No spare tire ???

I think its very ingenious to leave off the spare tire and providing an on-board compressor with a sealant switch, however living in the real world I would like to have a REAL replacement in case if the liquid goop doesn't seal up the cut in my tire. So has anyone ordered a 20'' donut tire and fit it in the space under the 2019 RDX bumper? Also if not, Is it safe to order any size donut spare and use it if the other 3 are 20's? Have the engineers considered that possibly of running a 18'' on one tire with a 20's on the other 3 with an "ALL-WHEEL" drive vehicle?

Old 02-19-2019 | 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

I am pretty sure that there is a spare tire kit as an option for drivers who prefer a spare tire to get them through in an emergencySPARE TIRE KIT

P/N: 06421-TJB-A00 (19”)
P/N: 06421-TJB-A50 (20” )

Last edited by quantum7; 02-19-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2019 | 05:01 PM
Racer

Check this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...0-19-a-974205/
Old 02-19-2019 | 06:09 PM
Drifting

The outer diameter of a 20" car tire is not 20". That's the wheel size, measured at the bead of the rim. The effective diameter is different and a "high profile" tire like the compact spare ( 90 series ) adds much more height than a "low profile" tire like the OEM 45 series.

Having said that, the overall diameter of the compact spare tire is about an inch or so less than the OEM tires, but since the compact spare is intended only for short-term emergency use, this is OK. The AWD system in RDX can handle it.

The real trick will be getting the correct spare tire hoist for 2019 RDX. I don't think the ones for other vehicles will fit. And bear in mind that hoist will NOT work with a full-size aluminum wheel. Only the compact spare steel wheel.

( Technically, you might be able to use a full-size steel wheel if you really feel the need. Dunno ).

The different part numbers above are for spare kits for VEHICLES originally equipped with 19" or 20" wheels. The spare wheel will be 17", as it is for many Honda and Acura vehicles. I think the only thing different about those two kits may be an adhesive label for the door jamb. No joke.
Old 02-19-2019 | 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

A problem with the spare on the RDX (and many other vehicles as well) is what do you do with your flat tire? It won't mount under the vehicle where the spare came from. If you happen to have a car full of passengers and luggage when you have a flat someone or something is going to be left behind on the side of the road.
Old 02-19-2019 | 06:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
A problem with the spare on the RDX (and many other vehicles as well) is what do you do with your flat tire? It won't mount under the vehicle where the spare came from. If you happen to have a car full of passengers and luggage when you have a flat someone or something is going to be left behind on the side of the road.
Excellent point! A few years ago wife and I were driving across W Texas in our 2012 Highlander AWD, and hit something small and sharp, and had an almost instant flat tire. Not fun at 80+ mph! I stopped almost immediately when the low pressure light came on, but the tire was no longer usable. Of course we had a spare, but the rear area was full of stuff to the roof, and the spare, you guessed it, was under the deck. It took AAA over 2 hours to get there, and we still had to mostly empty the rear area. It was cold and very windy. The sealer and pump would not have helped us at all. The spare was good, but a huge hassle. I don't remember if it had a full sized spare or not. I suspect not, but the full sized tire did fit, or I guess it would have been left along the road.

I was mildly concerned about no spare on the RDX, but I decided "so be it". I will always call roadside assistance now if I get a flat tire anyway due to less physical ability than I had years ago.
Old 02-19-2019 | 08:00 PM
Drifting

On the upside, Acura helpfully includes a plastic bag into which to deposit the wheel you remove from the car ( which will NOT fit where the spare came from ).

So it won't make a mess on the lap of whomever gets to hold it.

They even include straps to secure it in the cargo area, if you happen to have room for it.
Old 02-20-2019 | 09:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Wander
Ha! This is funny.
Old 02-20-2019 | 10:51 AM
Pro

Don't forget the Honda Ridgeline which includes a spare tire tucked away safely inside the nifty in-bed trunk where it's protected not only from the elements, but also from the driver if you have a flat while the bed is loaded.
Old 02-20-2019 | 12:07 PM
Drifting

whenever I have a car full of people, 5, there is always one (at least) I can pick to leave on the side of the road.
The following 3 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
Hvt (06-20-2020), markm929 (03-28-2019), Waetherman (10-08-2019)
Old 02-20-2019 | 01:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by zroger73
Don't forget the Honda Ridgeline which includes a spare tire tucked away safely inside the nifty in-bed trunk where it's protected not only from the elements, but also from the driver if you have a flat while the bed is loaded.
Awe yes, but better to have and not need than need and not have my friend!
It does take a bit of unloading to get the spare tire out of my Ridgeline.
Old 02-20-2019 | 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

A 165/90R17 spare tire (10 wider then the factory recommended) will get you to within 1% the diameter of the factory tire, instead of 3%. I also went with a radial tire instead of a bias as they have many advantages and it fits no problem with the hitch
I installed this on my a-spec with the factory Honda spare kit, ordered the khumo tire from tire rack for $100

Last edited by Dereileak; 02-20-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2019 | 09:40 PM
Advanced

This was a tire repair kit that was there before.

THIS Took the place of the tire repair kit.

I'm assuming this is the same for the RDX's that have a spare tire.

This is the tire installed underneath. Sorry, I could not really get under the vehicle to take a good picture.

Same with this one, not really a good picture but you get the idea.

I bought my RDX A SPEC a week ago and part of my deal was for the dealer to throw in a spare tire kit. Had it installed today by the dealer. Took about 2 hours, which I thought was too long. But hey, It was free so what can I say. First car I have ever owned that did not include a spare. Now I feel much better taking road trips.
The following 2 users liked this post by PAPI007:
danieljhale (04-04-2019), StealthTL-S (01-04-2021)
Old 03-28-2019 | 12:18 PM
Intermediate

The RDXs in Panama all come with the spare tire. Thank goodness!
Old 03-28-2019 | 08:40 PM
Nuke

As do the Canadian ones
Old 03-28-2019 | 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wander
On the upside, Acura helpfully includes a plastic bag into which to deposit the wheel you remove from the car ( which will NOT fit where the spare came from ).

They even include straps to secure it in the cargo area, if you happen to have room for it.
Lol this was funny

Originally Posted by zroger73
Goes to show you that they know it won't be used like a real truck.

Originally Posted by nuke
As do the Canadian ones
Go Acura Canada!
Old 03-29-2019 | 03:12 AM
4th Gear

Just bought RDX with Advanced package 2 days ago, and it came with a spare tire, at no cost.
Old 03-29-2019 | 09:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by IBNored
Just bought RDX with Advanced package 2 days ago, and it came with a spare tire, at no cost.
Congrats on the new ride!
FWD or SH-AWD? My understanding is the that the latter comes with a spare tire. The FWD does not.
Old 03-29-2019 | 01:38 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Congrats on the new ride!
FWD or SH-AWD? My understanding is the that the latter comes with a spare tire. The FWD does not.

Oh. I got the SH-AWD. This car is for the wife. I have a '07 RDX, and love it.
Old 03-29-2019 | 02:00 PM
4th Gear

Oops, trying to post from phone. Thanks. Hopefully, itll be as reliable as my '07 also.
Old 04-01-2019 | 07:12 PM
Expanse me

Porsche

Originally Posted by Vegas RDX
I think its very ingenious to leave off the spare tire and providing an on-board compressor with a sealant switch, however living in the real world I would like to have a REAL replacement in case if the liquid goop doesn't seal up the cut in my tire. So has anyone ordered a 20'' donut tire and fit it in the space under the 2019 RDX bumper? Also if not, Is it safe to order any size donut spare and use it if the other 3 are 20's? Have the engineers considered that possibly of running a 18'' on one tire with a 20's on the other 3 with an "ALL-WHEEL" drive vehicle?

porsche and I am sure others remove the spare also. In the 40 years I have driven, I have never needed a spare tire. I am ok with it.
Old 04-03-2019 | 10:07 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

I purchased the spare and kit that Acura specs for the A-Spec. Those low profile tires make me nervous living in pothole country. I also left the pump/goop kit in one of the wells-so I have as many bases covered as I can.
Old 04-03-2019 | 12:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EFR
I purchased the spare and kit that Acura specs for the A-Spec. Those low profile tires make me nervous living in pothole country. I also left the pump/goop kit in one of the wells-so I have as many bases covered as I can.
Same here. Even though I've never needed a spare in over 20 years of driving I feel more comfortable with one, especially not wanting to get stranded with a 1 year old.
Old 04-03-2019 | 01:48 PM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by EFR
What are the install instructions?
Have to tear the trunk area out?
Old 04-03-2019 | 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Funz51
What are the install instructions?
Have to tear the trunk area out?
yea but it’s really easy, 4 screws and everything comes out
Old 04-04-2019 | 06:09 AM
5th Gear

I bought a 2019 Acura RDX - FWD with Technology Package - five months ago. No spare, just the air pump/sealant machine. Three days after I drove it off the lot, I got a large nail in the inner sidewall. Fortunately, I was able to make it to the dealership before the tire lost too much air pressure. They didn't have a replacement in stock, but they gave me a loaner RDX while they waited for the tire. That was fine, but in a couple of weeks I'll be taking a long road trip through West Texas and New Mexico. The potential of being stranded without a spare makes me very uncomfortable, so I'll be looking buying into a spare tire kit.
Old 04-04-2019 | 11:13 AM
Intermediate

Aspec leasee here....the last 5 cars I have had were all 3 year leases....never touched the spare. Even so, the spare is a good measure of independence when out on the road. I’ve considered getting the kit, but the idea of hanging it underneath unprotected from heat and possible damage gave me pause.
I will stick with the sticky stuff in the kit.
Old 05-14-2019 | 03:58 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the many posts and advice. Unfortunately my deal is already over so I'm going to buy and install myself. So who has the best price for kit and tire (of course sold separately) have you found on web?

So far Acurapartwarehouse seems to be best for 349.73 with tax and ship. Anyone seen a better deal?

Again many thanks

Old 11-13-2020 | 10:29 AM
2nd Gear

Soooo. 2020 RDX tech. Is a full size spare possible? Will a steel rimmed spare fit in the wheel well? Is the hoist cable long enough? Will there be a rub problem or will it be to close to the muffler?

Orrr do I hope not to need a temp tire while towing a camper out in the wilderness?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2020 | 01:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by palgeno
Aspec leasee here....the last 5 cars I have had were all 3 year leases....never touched the spare. Even so, the spare is a good measure of independence when out on the road. I’ve considered getting the kit, but the idea of hanging it underneath unprotected from heat and possible damage gave me pause.
I will stick with the sticky stuff in the kit.
Most large SUVs and pickup trucks put the spare underneath and do just fine. The only problem we've ever had with our trucks is the retainer bolt sticking from rust, but the RDX uses a composite hand nut to avoid that issue. Only other downside is that you have to crawl under the car to check the air pressure in your spare, but that's a pretty minor complaint.
Old 11-14-2020 | 06:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmhumr
Most large SUVs and pickup trucks put the spare underneath and do just fine. The only problem we've ever had with our trucks is the retainer bolt sticking from rust, but the RDX uses a composite hand nut to avoid that issue. Only other downside is that you have to crawl under the car to check the air pressure in your spare, but that's a pretty minor complaint.

yeah, well, I just pay for AAA, and let them figure this shit out.
The following users liked this post:
NooYawkuh (11-15-2020)
Old 11-14-2020 | 08:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
yeah, well, I just pay for AAA, and let them figure this shit out.
You also have Acura roadside assistance! Let THEM pay for it! They are the ones who slighted us a spare tire.
Old 11-15-2020 | 08:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
You also have Acura roadside assistance! Let THEM pay for it! They are the ones who slighted us a spare tire.

There are two problems here:
1. Some people waited for hours for them to show up

2. when they arrive and realize that spray glue can not fix your tire, they will have to tow you to Acura dealer or some tire place. More time wasted instead of being on your way. Then if they say tire is not repairable. once they have your car towed, you’ll pay top $ for whatever tire they have vs you buying replacement tire you want and making sure you are not paying arm and leg for it.
Old 11-15-2020 | 11:45 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russianDude

2. when they arrive and realize that spray glue can not fix your tire, they will have to tow you to Acura dealer or some tire place. More time wasted instead of being on your way. Then if they say tire is not repairable. once they have your car towed, you’ll pay top $ for whatever tire they have vs you buying replacement tire you want and making sure you are not paying arm and leg for it.
Valid points...no doubt...
Not sure how using AAA differs other than being able to have it towed to a tire shop, if so desired. Will Acura only tow to an Acura dealer? I've waited a long time for AAA, I think it depends where you are located. Pretty sure Acura just contracts with one of the "other" roadside assistance companies.

But, like I said, valid points.
Old 11-16-2020 | 06:13 AM
Suzuka Master

I am also reading that tires that had temporary repair with a spray glue can not be fixed and you need to get a new tire. Thats sucks, most of the nails I got in the past were repairable.
Old 11-16-2020 | 05:09 PM
Drifting

I am also reading that tires that had temporary repair with a spray glue can not be fixed and you need to get a new tire. Thats sucks, most of the nails I got in the past were repairable.
I am not a spray glue fan. That shit gets allover everything inside. Plug it, or make me buy two tires, but spray glue? Uh uh.
Old 11-16-2020 | 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I am not a spray glue fan. That shit gets allover everything inside. Plug it, or make me buy two tires, but spray glue? Uh uh.
And then if you do need to buy a new tire, if its half worn, you probably need to buy a pair to avoid any AWD issues of uneven wear on the same axle. I believe manual says to always have tires of same wear on the same axle.
spare tire is your best chance of avoiding these issues. You can still call acura service to change your flat tire to a spare. It should be fine?
Old 11-18-2020 | 06:54 PM
Racer

I agree with this 100%, and will never own a vehicle without a spare, at least until they all disappear. Even if you use AAA or some other service to put on a spare, you can still use the vehicle. Ive had few flats in my life, but whenever I have it was at highway speed, and by the time I get to the side of the road, the tire is toast. Having a flat requiring the vehicle to be towed to some location (my luck at night or on a holiday weekend) and waiting days to use the vehicle seems absurd to me.
Old 11-18-2020 | 10:01 PM
Intermediate

I am thankful for this thread. I find the lack of spare tire to be a head scratcher and I ended up negotiating it into the 2021 Aspec purchase I made today. My initial reaction was that it makes sense that a large percentage of tire issues can in fact be fixed with the goo. I have experienced highway tire failure though and I would prefer to just have the spare installed and be on my way to replace it ASAP instead of literally losing the use of my vehicle.
Old 11-19-2020 | 06:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom Reynolds
Soooo. 2020 RDX tech. Is a full size spare possible? Will a steel rimmed spare fit in the wheel well? Is the hoist cable long enough? Will there be a rub problem or will it be to close to the muffler?

Orrr do I hope not to need a temp tire while towing a camper out in the wilderness?

Thanks
The RDX is a crossover with a towing capacity of 1500#, probably less when you consider payload and tongue weight of any camper. I wouldn’t worry about towing a camper into the wilderness, I doubt that is achievable.

Quick Reply: "what".... No spare tire ???